Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Packyy posted:

poo poo. Really? Source please.

I knew Marr was on it because I had seen videos of him in studio recording it, Wikipedia has citations for the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Coke Zero is pretty good.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Nothing matters. We live in a simulation, made by god, or someone else. We don't even exist.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I masturbate, therefore I am

doverhog
May 31, 2013

God is and masturbates you, dirty bugger.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Baby Driver was not a good movie

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Respect is earned.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Death to America.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

We Know Catheters posted:

Respect is earned.

The world is fallen, so if you have earned respect within it, you have embraced all the things wrong with it. Hail Satan.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bottom Liner posted:

Even the premise is dumb. There's a reason we don't let babies drive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should not be able to delete anything on social media yourself. I know famous people's lovely tweets will be archived by someone with a screenshot but there are plenty of normal lovely people that delete their stuff and it's annoying seeing so many deleted accounts on reddit. I want to see whatever dumb racist retard stuff you posted!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

doverhog posted:

Nothing matters. We live in a simulation, made by god, or someone else. We don't even exist.

Even if the rest of your post were provably true, the last statement would be debatable on semantic grounds.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Anything said in a language is debatable, what does "exist" actually mean? Well said.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Solipsism, while understandable, is boring to encounter.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Caufman posted:

Solipsism, while understandable, is boring to encounter.

You mean to envision.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think I meant encounter, as in reading or talking to someone who is making a solipsist point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm a solipsist and I'm surprised there aren't more of us.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Caufman posted:

I think I meant encounter, as in reading or talking to someone who is making a solipsist point.

You mean to envision and manifest someone who is making a solipsist point.

You're sorry if you're annoying yourself.

Dross has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Sep 23, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think I laughed a single time in the last half of Master of None season 2. Really whiny and introspective though. Was the Thanksgiving episode supposed to be funny? It was just a well written dramatic episode.

I thought I liked aziz ansari until I watched master of none and was confused that it wasn't funny. Then I watched his stand up shows and they also weren't funny and didn't seem to be trying to be funny. Now I don't know what the dude is even trying to be other than a whiney mopey weirdo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought I liked aziz ansari until I watched master of none and was confused that it wasn't funny. Then I watched his stand up shows and they also weren't funny and didn't seem to be trying to be funny. Now I don't know what the dude is even trying to be other than a whiney mopey weirdo

I think your brain is broken if you get that vibe from his standup sets

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think your brain is broken if you get that vibe from his standup sets

He's the standup comedian version of incel Reddit posts from the couple I've watched

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All exams should be open book especially at university level. Most exams end up being far more about how well you can memorise things far more than they're about how you solve relevant problems in the course. In real life situations you always have access to the references you need or you can check old things you did to see how you did it previously. Obviously I don't think exams should have the same content, the questions would have to be harder too. Questions that are more about using what you know to solve a new problem as opposed to just things that you already covered in course assignments. If someone has to look up how to do everything to try and answer questions they'll run out of time anyways and still do very poorly in the exam so it's not like it'd suddenly lead to everyone doing well. Especially if you raise the difficulty and style of question being asked.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

All exams should be open book especially at university level.

Where do you put all the 12 books the test will cover? Or ½ a book if it's Economics.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember taking an abnormal psych class wherein every test covered about ~200 pages of material. Which would be perfectly fine if the instructor didn't select the most irreverent, specific things in the text to compose the test. Identify and discuss features of the different subgroups of schizophrenia? No, more like what was the national average of women in the US affected with catatonic schizophrenia in 1990? So I would just spend the day prior combing over the text, cherry-picking the most useless statistics appearing in either footnotes or one line mentions and memorize those. Instead of actually learning about abnormal psychology, I learned to predict what useless tidbits this dipshit would be testing me on and recovered with a high B.

I still get mad thinking about that. I actually learned more in my high school psychology class.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Das Boo posted:

I remember taking an abnormal psych class wherein every test covered about ~200 pages of material. Which would be perfectly fine if the instructor didn't select the most irreverent, specific things in the text to compose the test. Identify and discuss features of the different subgroups of schizophrenia? No, more like what was the national average of women in the US affected with catatonic schizophrenia in 1990? So I would just spend the day prior combing over the text, cherry-picking the most useless statistics appearing in either footnotes or one line mentions and memorize those. Instead of actually learning about abnormal psychology, I learned to predict what useless tidbits this dipshit would be testing me on and recovered with a high B.

I still get mad thinking about that. I actually learned more in my high school psychology class.

EmmyOk posted:

All exams should be open book especially at university level. Most exams end up being far more about how well you can memorise things far more than they're about how you solve relevant problems in the course. In real life situations you always have access to the references you need or you can check old things you did to see how you did it previously. Obviously I don't think exams should have the same content, the questions would have to be harder too. Questions that are more about using what you know to solve a new problem as opposed to just things that you already covered in course assignments. If someone has to look up how to do everything to try and answer questions they'll run out of time anyways and still do very poorly in the exam so it's not like it'd suddenly lead to everyone doing well. Especially if you raise the difficulty and style of question being asked.

Agreed on this, except I don't feel that it is an unpopular opinion here. If focus is meant to be on students showcasing the methodology of a field, rather than simply rote memorization, then open book exams is absolutely the way to go in order to shift that focus. Methodology varies by field, of course, but I feel that it is largely true, that methodology often boils down to being able to spot and make use of the relevant, ie; the applicable and credible sources within the field, and open book exams are a great way to shift focus from rote memorization to methodology.

Anyway, phuo. Re-habilitation and crime-prevention is extremely important, but they don't override the need for the justice system to be perceived as just in society at large. To some extent, re-habilitation and the need for the justice system to appear just, absolutely goes counter to one another, and a working compromise has to be settled on. Both actual rehabilitation and crime prevention, and the need for the criminal justice system to instill a sense of justice are important aspects, and it isn't fair or constructive to dismiss the need for the severity of a sentence to match the perceived severity of a crime, as being mob mentality or blood lust.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've always found the the apparently self-justifying statement "It's *YEAR*, therefore my viewpoint is correct" bemusing.

I know what they are trying to say, but it comes off as "I have nothing to support my viewpoint, but *irrelevant fact delivered in irritatingly superior yet defensive sounding voice*" duckspeak cliche.

It's 2017, I should be able to park in the handicap spaces!
It's 2017, we should get around to exterminating the Jews!
It's 2017, the earth is flat! (I saw this one spray painted on the back of a factory).

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Das Boo posted:

that sorta reminded me of one of my biochem profs, over and over throughout the year he emphasized that the course would not stress route memorization and would instead focus on using information intelligently since real science professionals, especially with the explosion of modern information systems, are bombarded with so much raw data it's better to learn to navigate reference materials than it is to memorize whole genomes, proteomes, etc and he often appended those comments to lectures that were information heavy like when we used protein databanks to look up structural details

i used some connections to snoop around the exam archives come finals time and about 40% of the final exam for the same course with the same professor in a past year required having memorized the entire amino acid sequence of a certain protein we went over maybe twice alongside a few others we covered in similar detail, i say you had to memorize the whole structure because the questions were so tedious and random, nothing important like what amino acids are in the catalytic cleft - i forwarded the information to people whose email addresses i had and i spent the night memorizing a bunch of structures that were about as much fun and useful to know as the first 300 digits of pi, e, etc instead of something more useful to a future lab worker and behold - the exact question came up again on our exam

i'd almost never been so mad at a doofus before, it was a 4th year class and about half failed with very little standard deviation because they were willfully mislead by a goober, even some of the people i warned were very skeptical he'd ask a similar question again because he made no indication that this kind of tedious information was need to know since it was exactly the kind of thing he'd been telling us to avoid all year long - the only way he wasn't being outright vindictive was if he just copied an existing exam question for a new year without recognizing the focus had changed or that the question was massive and worth almost as much as the rest of the exam

since i live in a country where hundreds of students have to pay thousands for an individual course with a specific prof, probably incurring personal debt along the way, i reserve the right to get hella mad at education that bad, it was almost as bad as when we had a seasonal lecturer who literally did not know what he was doing and it was not the first or last time that would happen, i feel like additional systems should be in place to prevent these kinds of things from happening, especially at a top 25 university, especially when it's costing students dearly and there should be a way to make amends for when it occurs and maybe the only unpopular opinion to add would be that it'd be nice to see such useless lecturers publicly fired or at least publicly sternly warned for wasting everyone's time

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I've always found the the apparently self-justifying statement "It's *YEAR*, therefore my viewpoint is correct" bemusing.

I know what they are trying to say, but it comes off as "I have nothing to support my viewpoint, but *irrelevant fact delivered in irritatingly superior yet defensive sounding voice*" duckspeak cliche.

It's 2017, I should be able to park in the handicap spaces!
It's 2017, we should get around to exterminating the Jews!
It's 2017, the earth is flat! (I saw this one spray painted on the back of a factory).

Why would someone post an opinion like this in TYOOL 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Why would someone post an opinion like this in TYOOL 2017

Yeah? Here's news for you pal.

It's 2017, so I'm right.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yeah? Here's news for you pal.

It's 2017, so I'm right.

Report: Stating Current Year Still Leading Argument For Social Reform

WASHINGTON—According to a report released Monday by the Brookings Institution, the single most effective argument in favor of social reform continues to be indignantly saying aloud what the current year is. “When it comes to making a case for reordering the social order, we’ve failed to find any rhetorical strategy more effective or compelling than saying ‘It’s 2014!’ and asking why societal change hasn’t occurred,” said policy analyst Brad Katz, adding that the argument was even more powerful when immediately followed with the phrases “I mean, come on!” or “for crying out loud!” “Furthermore, we found that all social progress throughout our history—including abolition, women’s suffrage, and the entire gay rights movement—can be credited to stating the current year, claiming you don’t know what year defenders of the status quo are living in, and reminding them that if they happened to look at a calendar, they would notice that the year you stated is the current year.” However, the report noted that Americans have recently seen a sharp decline in the effectiveness of stating what country this is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Withdrawing from free trade agreements will probably turn out to be Trunp's worst mistake in the long run.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You SHOULD be able to use handicap areas if all other areas are full, with the exception of parking spaces since the turnover on them is unknowable and often long. But like a bathroom stall, the turnover is high and it doesn't kill someone to have to wait five minutes. Or a seat in a theatre. It's dumb seeing a sold-out theatre with about 10 empty seats in the wheelchair-accessible area that no one is using because no one handicapped came to that showing.

Also, at least in one parking lot in Fort Worth, TX there are a few special reserved "wounded warrior" spots, at a newish shopping centre/apartment development near my grandma's house. That's just absurd. How is that even enforceable? Do you need both a handicap tag AND one of those special "Vietnam Vet Purple Heart" licence plates or the like?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You SHOULD be able to use handicap areas if all other areas are full, with the exception of parking spaces since the turnover on them is unknowable and often long. But like a bathroom stall, the turnover is high and it doesn't kill someone to have to wait five minutes. Or a seat in a theatre. It's dumb seeing a sold-out theatre with about 10 empty seats in the wheelchair-accessible area that no one is using because no one handicapped came to that showing.

Also, at least in one parking lot in Fort Worth, TX there are a few special reserved "wounded warrior" spots, at a newish shopping centre/apartment development near my grandma's house. That's just absurd. How is that even enforceable? Do you need both a handicap tag AND one of those special "Vietnam Vet Purple Heart" licence plates or the like?

Most likely if your license plate says disabled veteran that's probably what they look for. But lol if that's the case since I know people who are considered disabled veterans and are more fit and able than people half their age.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You SHOULD be able to use handicap areas if all other areas are full, with the exception of parking spaces since the turnover on them is unknowable and often long. But like a bathroom stall, the turnover is high and it doesn't kill someone to have to wait five minutes.
I've never even considered not using the handicapped toilet if the others are in use.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

I've never even considered not using the handicapped toilet if the others are in use.

I go for the handicapped one first if it's empty. I like the extra space and it's not like I'm going to be in there for long.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Airlines should seriously seat back to front and let people with little kids/handicaps go on first (after 1st class or whatever). I think they used to, but the last few time I've flown they really haven't done it, and its stupid as hell.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

Airlines should seriously seat back to front and let people with little kids/handicaps go on first (after 1st class or whatever). I think they used to, but the last few time I've flown they really haven't done it, and its stupid as hell.

In my experience they try to at least on some airlines and board the disabled people/people with young kids on before first class and then generally have at least two groups based on row. The problem is a lot of people either miss their group and end up screwing the flow up by being late, or people cheat and try and board when they aren't supposed to and hope the attendant doesn't care enough to make a fuss (they almost never do).

Speaking of airlines, if you pick a seat next to someone when there is a similar seat next to an empty spot, you're the worst kind of rear end in a top hat. I mean, generally you're not going to have an empty seat next to you considering how overbooked most flights are, but at least leave me some hope while there are still seats available.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I think there's research out there that shows seating the window seats, then middle, then aisle is the fastest way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think there's research out there that shows seating the window seats, then middle, then aisle is the fastest way to do it.

I think you're right.

Its just a pain, I have young kids and all their diaper poo poo and i have to fight through the entire plane because kids sit in the back where the kid masks are. So of course I have the most poo poo, the hardest time of it, and the most people to fight through.