Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

exquisite tea posted:

You can't do splitscreen D3 on PC but there's nothing wrong with the console versions of the game.

Wasn't there some business about the console having wildly generous loot tables? I seem to recall that as a complaint, that in the PC version a rare item felt rare whereas in the console everything drops rares. I don't know, this is all stuff from a long time ago, so...

I have no problem just playing it on the PS4. I just want to play the best version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

credburn posted:

Wasn't there some business about the console having wildly generous loot tables? I seem to recall that as a complaint, that in the PC version a rare item felt rare whereas in the console everything drops rares. I don't know, this is all stuff from a long time ago, so...

I have no problem just playing it on the PS4. I just want to play the best version.

They did that because in PC launch they charged you real money for better drops but they got rid of that and made you get a lot of drops all the time.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Real hurthling! posted:

Is pilot wings resort good or am i better off playing the original one i already like?

I haven't played the older ones but Resort is really fun. It's half challenges for licenses which I assume is from the older games and then the other half is slowly unlocking better and cooler vehicles to explore Wuhu Island with. It is not deep but it is a fun distraction and you get to see your Miis all over the place.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

100% Samus Returns. What a good rear end loving game. I feel bad for anybody that didn't play it with headphones.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Phantasium posted:

100% Samus Returns. What a good rear end loving game. I feel bad for anybody that didn't play it with headphones.

I am playing it hooked into a surround sound system actually

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh yeah well i lived it through the power of drugs and hypnosis

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

same but in reverse, to me the first two FFL games feel like dubious protopyes of the SaGa system (which they are) and that series is... it's fun but it's sketchy and barely functional in its sunday best, forget when it's in its wifebeater and boxers on the gameboy

Part of the reason I like the GB ones so much is that they're just confusing enough to be interesting but still relatively simple games that also involve you doing poo poo like climbing a tower to god with disparate worlds attached to it so you can wreck his poo poo.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Hell, same

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
More pc games should have controller and bigscreen support. It's getting harder to justify any game that does not.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So my internet went down because there was some unspecified damage to the neighborhood line and it will take at least a week for a repair technician to come by. In the meantime I tethered my PC to my phone and I'm actually getting better speeds than I did with the cable broadband which gets weirdly randomly throttled 50% of the time. I wonder how many people have completely just cut off any sort of landline telecom and just use mobile. (I mean this definitely isn't viable long-term since I have about 1 GB left on my phone data before I drop to 128kbps but man)

In the meantime XCOM 2 War of the Chosen is very good. Just killed one of the titular Chosen, felt pretty good. The new classes are fun and the Star Trek voice actors are a nice touch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the weird mechanics in saga gb are a lot of fun imo though i'll definitely be playing the wonderswan color version whenever i decide to replay it just cause that version looks nicer and has some backported qol stuff

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Real hurthling! posted:

Is pilot wings resort good or am i better off playing the original one i already like?

Just play the original.

I bought it super cheap and only played it for about 15 minutes.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finally finished LBW!!! The final boss was fun even though I was a little disappointed in the final dungeon only needing three tools

Also I didn't go through the final dimension crack because I figured it'd be progress and tripped the last fight without thinking about it so I hope whatever was in there wasn't too cool

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erg posted:

Also I didn't go through the final dimension crack because I figured it'd be progress and tripped the last fight without thinking about it so I hope whatever was in there wasn't too cool

it's probably the red ring because that's what happened to me too

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I strongly encourage the trend of reporting to this thread when you have beaten a game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm working through my second playthrough of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt now that I have time to finally get around to the expansions and man I forgot what a drag that game can be in the early stages. Voice acting and plot are still fantastic, and the scenery is absolutely ace.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you: saga is tedious impenetrable garbage
me:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, besides Mario XCom and Splatoon, what is worth getting for a Switch?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Did you beat it in under 5 hours?

ImpAtom posted:

Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Blaster Master, and new Mario next month.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao, the brick pod in heat signature is really good, ramming it into the side of a ship destroys a room and leaves a gaping hole that you can spacewalk into. most mission types you can skip 90% of the level by just strategically opening up the room next to the target, jumping in immediately grabbing/shooting the thing and jumping back into your pod and flying away

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Turns out that equipping elemental rings on Citan prevents him from using his party buff, so the boss fight got really painful with his single person healing. It also didn't work to reduce the damage. Maybe I'll try all three next time. Elly almost destroyed the Giant Wels boss in one hit and the best RNG roll might have made her do 7000 damage. Bart might also be a good substitute in unsustainable burst damage.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

corn in the bible posted:

i hope you get better from that spinal injury from trying to morphball

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know you made the purchase why not figure out what you want

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Blaster Master, and new Mario next month.

Also Mighty Gunvolt Burst and Picross S

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Although I bought a switch for Splatoon and it's basically the only game I play on it so idk if you can trust me,

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Although I bought a switch for Splatoon and it's basically the only game I play on it so idk if you can trust me,

Get pokken. Its like tekken but sadly not as cute

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

No, I don't give a drat about speed runs and I don't think I've beaten any Metroid in under like 8 hours.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat Fusion in 1:50 minutes as a kid. That's the closest I've ever come to speedrunning.

Usually if I want to make a game harder for myself I just make up restricting rules rather than try to rush stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a.lo posted:

I don't know you made the purchase why not figure out what you want

Because I got a Switch as a gift.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have been playing EU4 and it's pretty grim! There's a dedicated button for killing all the native people in a place you want to colonise, and another one for replacing the entire culture of a territory you've conquered. I was trying to play it as an Indonesian country and get beefy enough to avoid being colonised, but to get big I had to conquer a bunch of people, and now I'm just as bad as the Europeans. Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, huh.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

credburn posted:

The PS3 and 360 versions of D3 started with the smart loot, meaning you had a good chance to actually use the stuff that dropped.

Also the PC version is the best by far if you like random multiplayer, since half the playerbase on console uses hacked characters.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I tried Satellite Reign for 30 minutes and it's pretty lame, how can the supposed spiritual sequel to Syndicate 1993 have worse death animations and sound design? Guns in that game sounded like death machines and enemies would drop dead in a pool of their own blood. Guns in Satellite Reign sound like pop guns and enemies kind of lifelessly rag doll to the ground, and that's ignoring how they're all bullet sponges.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Red Bones posted:

I have been playing EU4 and it's pretty grim! There's a dedicated button for killing all the native people in a place you want to colonise, and another one for replacing the entire culture of a territory you've conquered. I was trying to play it as an Indonesian country and get beefy enough to avoid being colonised, but to get big I had to conquer a bunch of people, and now I'm just as bad as the Europeans. Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, huh.

Paradox games are hardcore that way. It's kind of funny how the Civilization series has carefully tiptoed around things like the whole religion thing, with game mechanics that make all religions equal in all things. And then you have Europa Universalis, where for a long time if you weren't an European christian nation, you belonged in a garbage tier technology group that's just strictly worse. Cause that's history for you!

Their latest space game Stellaris manages to up the ante even from there. When you conquer another spacefaring race, you get all kinds of options on how to treat the population. You can forcibly migrate and enslave them, do racial cleansing, or designate them as livestock. Youknow, for the eating. Brutal, even for a sci-fi setting.

Really fun games, but boy, they do not give a flying gently caress about being sensitive or PC about anything.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Part of the reason I like the GB ones so much is that they're just confusing enough to be interesting but still relatively simple games that also involve you doing poo poo like climbing a tower to god with disparate worlds attached to it so you can wreck his poo poo.

I like how that jojo's bizarre adventure fangame was made aping the style and general progression of the gameboy SaGa games.

There's even an easter egg where in most of the open hub areas, you can enter a secret room through an invisible door and end up at the final room from FFL/SaGa 1, complete with the final boss there and his chainsaw weakness included, if you could only find a chainsaw :v: One of the optional bosses utilizes an ability that allows him to, among other things, turn his arms into diamond-tipped chainsaws that can saw through whatever they wish, letting them choose which part of something they want to slice through. Defeating that boss nets you various loot including his severed arm which can be used as the chainsaw against the creator.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

StoryTime posted:

Paradox games are hardcore that way. It's kind of funny how the Civilization series has carefully tiptoed around things like the whole religion thing, with game mechanics that make all religions equal in all things. And then you have Europa Universalis, where for a long time if you weren't an European christian nation, you belonged in a garbage tier technology group that's just strictly worse. Cause that's history for you!

Their latest space game Stellaris manages to up the ante even from there. When you conquer another spacefaring race, you get all kinds of options on how to treat the population. You can forcibly migrate and enslave them, do racial cleansing, or designate them as livestock. Youknow, for the eating. Brutal, even for a sci-fi setting.

Really fun games, but boy, they do not give a flying gently caress about being sensitive or PC about anything.

I feel like for the player, the game is mostly simulating the diplomacy/international relations parts of running a country more than it simulates the internal affairs side. Like, there's multiple factors incentivising me to act like a conquering, colonial power, and a lot of them are very true to history - especially the pressure to get bigger or risk being eaten up by a bigger country. But at the same time, the conquering stuff is where the meat and potatoes of the game is, whereas if I wanted to be a peaceful little country and just chill within my borders, there's a lot less to do, which means I'm less likely to play that way. It's interesting how the game pushes you toward conquest. I've only been playing it for maybe ten, fifteen hours though, so maybe I'm just missing something and there's a lot of fun in a pacifist EU4 playthrough.

The historicity stuff is interesting too - I tried out one of the Madagascan countries for a while, and some of the territories just have slaves as an export, and as far as I could tell there's nothing I could really do about that. And similarly, most of the countries are feudal monarchies or despotic monarchies or similar, and as far as I could figure out, changing your country into a republic is way far down the technology list, like a couple of centuries into the game. Like as the player I can make ethical decisions to a certain degree, but some things I am just not allowed to change.

Do I have more remit to be a "nice" space empire in Stellaris, and is that an enjoyable way to play that game? I'm mostly just looking around for more games that give me the simcity "looking after a bunch of people in a city/country/etc" feeling, and EU4 definitely does that to some extent, I just wish I could do a bit more internal stuff in my country vs conquering other places.

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how that jojo's bizarre adventure fangame was made aping the style and general progression of the gameboy SaGa games.

That game is really fun! I like how you can take enemies off of the random encounter table permanently by finding and beating their stand users, it's a really cool way to fit the mechanics with the setting.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 24, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, Stellaris doesn't have the historicity weighing it down, you directly choose your civ's politics at the start on like 3 different axes. there's a mechanic where it tracks different demographic groups in your empire though and their politics can mutate from yours so you might have a faction that's way into slavery demanding that you legalize it, and there are different ways of dealing with them when they come up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay brain, enough with the insane roller coaster dreams that seem to last 40 hours and feature things like my wife becoming a meth head because i left town for a week and the police actively trying to prevent me from performing by harassing my friends

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Red Bones posted:

Do I have more remit to be a "nice" space empire in Stellaris, and is that an enjoyable way to play that game? I'm mostly just looking around for more games that give me the simcity "looking after a bunch of people in a city/country/etc" feeling, and EU4 definitely does that to some extent, I just wish I could do a bit more internal stuff in my country vs conquering other places.

Yes, Stellaris allows for the utopia/federation building end of the sci-fi spectrum as well. Then again, you might end up next to the terminator machine race whose only objective is to scour the galaxy of organics. It's possible to meet factions in that game where diplomacy is literally not an option, you just can't access those screens with them.

It's arguably more enjoyable to be peaceful in Stellaris, since the combat part is honestly kinda bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

Pending

Sep 20 2017
Valve Corp. Refund

God I hate Paypal. Hey you dicks, Valve isn't sending you a physical check, you can give me my money back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The historical backdrop of EU4 is very important to me, and is probably what makes me enjoy it so much. The more you play, you start recognizing trends: the Timurids always collapse, Russia always forms, all of the Middle East down to Egypt gets eaten by the Ottoman Empire, Sweden gains its independence. Then sometimes those things don't happen, and that's thrilling too! Plus, I actually learnt a ton about history and especially geography through playing the game. I didn't know where Krakow was in relation to Warsaw before, but now I do!!!

In Stellaris, I have to play as the default United Nations of Earth: it's easier for me to care about a meteor approaching a planet populated by humans, named New Jerusalem in the Tuscany Sector of space than, say, a planet populated by the frikokk, named Kriss'Ak in the Fumkk'Ar'Tik Sector of space.

• Locked thread