Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its really dumb how if another empire feels threatened it gives you a penalty to demanding their vassalization/protectorate.

you'd think if they were so threatened then they would be willing to, you know, have a guarantee that you wouldn't murder them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Roobanguy posted:

its really dumb how if another empire feels threatened it gives you a penalty to demanding their vassalization/protectorate.

you'd think if they were so threatened then they would be willing to, you know, have a guarantee that you wouldn't murder them.

Is your first instict when you're terrified of someone/something to immediately surrender your independence to it on request?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wiz posted:

Is your first instict when you're terrified of someone/something to immediately surrender your independence to it on request?

it should be if you just saw them demolish their rear end in a top hat neighbor. especially if you're relative power is pathetic.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 24, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wiz posted:

I mean it worked pretty well for the Mongolians.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'm just saying, threatened shouldn't give them a negative 1000 penalty to acceptance when a relative power of pathetic only gives you a positive 27.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Roobanguy posted:

i'm just saying, threatened shouldn't give them a negative 1000 penalty to acceptance when a relative power of pathetic only gives you a positive 27.

Realism arguments aside, threatened is the result of generating threat which is supposed to be an anti-snowballing penalty. Maybe in some cases where they have absolutely no chance they should accept vassalization but I'd prefer that they try to find other allies instead.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wiz posted:

Realism arguments aside, threatened is the result of generating threat which is supposed to be an anti-snowballing penalty. Maybe in some cases where they have absolutely no chance they should accept vassalization but I'd prefer that they try to find other allies instead.

this makes sense, and my problem is just specific i guess. the empire that i want to make a vassal has been cordoned off with no hyperlanes leading anywhere except to their rear end in a top hat neighbors, who is a slaving despot, and a fallen isolationist. i don't actually think they've run into any other empire because of this, seeing as they only have 2 closed borders with me and the slavers. it's just a little frustrating that i might as well go to war and make him cede all his planets to me instead of the vassalizing him.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Stellaris - To Serve Man Machine

:unsmigghh:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

this makes sense, and my problem is just specific i guess. the empire that i want to make a vassal has been cordoned off with no hyperlanes leading anywhere except to their rear end in a top hat neighbors, who is a slaving despot, and a fallen isolationist. i don't actually think they've run into any other empire because of this, seeing as they only have 2 closed borders with me and the slavers. it's just a little frustrating that i might as well go to war and make him cede all his planets to me instead of the vassalizing him.

That would probably be the way to do it. Maybe have like a special "Cornered" mood when they have hostile neighbors and no friendly neighbors to jump to instead. So they try to hop onto the neighbor that they dislike the least, or at least has vaguely compatible ethics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

turn off the TV posted:

I mean it worked pretty well for the Mongolians.

I mean yeah, but then one of the tributaries of the Golden Horde by the name of Muscovy banded together with/coerced other threatened principalities into fighting against them and the rest is history.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eej posted:

I mean yeah, but then one of the tributaries of the Golden Horde by the name of Muscovy banded together with/coerced other threatened principalities into fighting against them and the rest is history.

That sounds like it would be an interesting mechanic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

turn off the TV posted:

That sounds like it would be an interesting mechanic.

Isn't this the new AE decadence mechanic?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Welp I've reached the same point I reach in every Stellaris game - 5 or 6 planets colonised, hemmed in by 3 other empires I can't defeat who have closed their borders and I've explored everything I can reach. So I just sit around teching up until I get bored and quit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Oof. My Assimilators game ended in dismal failure. Missiles seem...stronger now? My demise was at the hands of a snowballing out of control Advanced Start to my east. They fielded about 10k in Cruisers/Destroyers/Corvettes, almost 100% missile spam, and even with copious point defense, my tier 4 lasers to their tier 2 missiles was not enough. I was fighting at a numerical disadvantage, 8k fleet power to 10k, but pre-1.8 point defense would have crushed a missile spam fleet even with that difference.

Missiles just do so much damage before you can even close.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oof. My Assimilators game ended in dismal failure. Missiles seem...stronger now? My demise was at the hands of a snowballing out of control Advanced Start to my east. They fielded about 10k in Cruisers/Destroyers/Corvettes, almost 100% missile spam, and even with copious point defense, my tier 4 lasers to their tier 2 missiles was not enough. I was fighting at a numerical disadvantage, 8k fleet power to 10k, but pre-1.8 point defense would have crushed a missile spam fleet even with that difference.

Missiles just do so much damage before you can even close.

most missiles now have more than 1 hp, and basic point defense can do 0-2 damage, so even if they were hitting the missiles they might have not been doing any damage.

had a fight against someone with ships using mostly tier 4 missiles, and even though i had at least 40 flak ships, enough missiles hit to kill some of my ships which never would have happened previously.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 24, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Welp I've reached the same point I reach in every Stellaris game - 5 or 6 planets colonised, hemmed in by 3 other empires I can't defeat who have closed their borders and I've explored everything I can reach. So I just sit around teching up until I get bored and quit.

I find Alphamod helps out with this because its possible to build ridiculously tall. The mod has a lot of junk but building a tall empire is cool and good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Does PD only target missiles now? I've been rollin pretty well with missiles/bombers/pd up until this awakened empire starting breathing down my neck, and their fighters and bombers are just tearing through me even with pd destroyers and cruisers.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Ran into a really irritating bug today. Playing as Pacifist/Fanatic Materialist, started with Mechanist civic. No issues until I run into a Gestalt Consciousness machine empire, then all of a sudden half of my pops are getting huge happiness penalties due to "Owned Pop Emancipated". I haven't changed any policies or anything, but it's as if something freed and then re-enslaved my robots. They're not synthetics so I don't exactly have rights to give them, either.

At least it's temporary, but it's pretty annoying :(

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

hope and vaseline posted:

Does PD only target missiles now? I've been rollin pretty well with missiles/bombers/pd up until this awakened empire starting breathing down my neck, and their fighters and bombers are just tearing through me even with pd destroyers and cruisers.

Yeah, PD is just for missiles now, you're gonna need some flak to hit strikecraft. But don't go all flak because it's way worse at hitting missiles (can it at all?).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ugh, I haven't even researched any kinetic so I'll probably have to surrender and rebuild :(

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Ugh, I haven't even researched any kinetic so I'll probably have to surrender and rebuild :(

what the poster said wasn't technically true. looking at the patch notes all it mentions is that flak is better at taking out strike craft and pd is better at missiles. what it probably is is that strike craft has gotten a large upgrade to its health. pd doesn't do as much damage as flak, and advanced strike ships have 80 health, which is gonna take alot of shots to take down with pd.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Alright, yeah, "just" in the context I said it sounds pretty misleading. PD can hit strikecraft, but PD damage is low enough/strikecraft health is high enough that it's negligible. Which it sounds like you found out the hard way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just a reminder to anyone using robomodding, when you tech up to droids or synths it will break your templates:

They will somehow become their own base "species", replacing the unmodified Droid, and you cannot modify existing templates anymore.

Also, I really don't like how you can't some of the base robot pop to another (you have to destroy them and rebuild them or upgrade them en masse, there's no way to do half and half) and I can't for the life of me figure out how Wiz and company decided to make a multi-build interface for robots but not for buildings.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

How do I get the most use out of Emotion Emulators?

I started out with them so my leader would have it, but later on I got a build up world of just robots and converted just that world to be better workers... and my leader became one of those.

I feel like leader traits are kind of a waste for a robot gestalt if your leaders can get randomly converted into dumb workerbots arbitrarily.

Still having a blast though. The diplomatic hit from losing my emotions really hemmed in my rogue servitors, and I my robots were beginning to get a bit morose because we only had species that could live well on wet planets, and there weren't many wet planets I had access to.

And then I got the perk for space habitats. Now I can fill the stars with lovely bubbles of happy friends! It warms my emotionless robot heart. And incidentally gave me some pretty major bonuses. Now my industry is strong enough that I can overcome my neighbors fleets and properly take care of their poor untended organics.

Gene modding would be a great thing for rogue servitors to have access to. I would like to help my organics by making them content rapid breeders.

Gosh, the idea of a robot genetically modifying a species they're taking care of to make it easier for the robots to take care of them is a pretty fun creepy concept.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I gave one of my robot pops to the Fallen Robot Empire. The Fallen Robot Empire went crazy and started attacking everyone. My pop on their homeworld is being disassembled for some reason. But that date is a bit, uh...I know they're malfunctioning but come on.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazycryodude posted:

Alright, yeah, "just" in the context I said it sounds pretty misleading. PD can hit strikecraft, but PD damage is low enough/strikecraft health is high enough that it's negligible. Which it sounds like you found out the hard way.

So are strike craft good now? I've always thought carriers were more badass than battleships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like sensor range should be on even in details mapmode, it hardly obstructs much and it's pretty important to know.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What should I do in this situation? I just got my 4th planet, decided to make one into it's own sector and will only add more systems to this sector later. Planning on letting it just colonize the nearby worlds by itself as the tech comes in.
    In this game Alpha Centauri has:
  • Al-Karak: as listed. This planet has a level [e: I wrote the spaceport wrong and it's on the gif anyway]. Half populated for now. Has unpopulated power tiles.
  • Alpha Centauri II: 2 mineral mining station
  • Alpha Centauri III: Huge savanna world with a 4 power mining station for now
  • Alpha Centauri IV: same as II
  • Alpha Centauri V: some bullshit barren world with nothing.

Anyway, I'm looking at sector tax rates, only care about power for right now. How am I supposed to read this? I guess look at this gif.

It seems like part of the UI is indicating that I'm taking negative power from the planet, so giving power to the sector, but it also seems like I'm still taking power somehow and putting that sector into the hole? How should I resolve this? Was gonna just dump in a couple hundred electrons but I dunno what is actually going on here. Is it just because the sector has no money and is naturally running into the red?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 24, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What should I do in this situation? I just got my 4th planet, decided to make one into it's own sector and will only add more systems to this sector later. Planning on letting it just colonize the nearby worlds by itself as the tech comes in.

In this game Alpha Centauri has:
  • Al-Karak: as listed. This planet has a level 1 spaceport with solar panels, if that matters. Half populated for now. Has unpopulated power tiles.
  • Alpha Centauri II: 2 mineral mining station
  • Alpha Centauri III: Huge savanna world with a 4 power mining station for now
  • Alpha Centauri IV: same as II
  • Alpha Centauri V: some bullshit barren world with nothing.

Anyway, I'm looking at sector tax rates, only care about power for right now. How am I supposed to read this? I guess look at this gif.

It seems like part of the UI is indicating that I'm taking negative power from the planet, so giving power to the sector, but it also seems like I'm still taking power somehow and putting that sector into the hole? How should I resolve this? Was gonna just dump in a couple hundred electrons but I dunno what is actually going on here. Is it just because the sector has no money and is naturally running into the red?

Sectors don't share resources with your main empire, so if the planet has things that draw power, and you set the sector tax high, it won't have enough energy generation to keep itself solvent. It will eventually run out of energy and will switch off all its mining/research stations.

You need to make the sector self sufficient or, as you say, keep feeding it energy.

Your robots draw power, the station draws power, and the mining base draws power, I dunno what else you have on the surface.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

How am I supposed the fight the Contingency? I've lost over a hundred battleships and countless other ships so far. It's only because of awakened fallen empires (an AI custodial and some other AE) that I'm not drowned in a wave of omnicidal Skynet bots. Arc Emitters and kinetic batteries are useful but I'm still losing a lot of ships jumping the random mob that leaves the machine world.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm just saying it's really throwing me off here with the numbers. As tax goes up it appears that my monthly power generation goes down. The # for the sector's monthly power generation goes from -2 to 0. But it also says that the sector is going from "break even at zero tax" to "-2 at 75% tax."

The screen is conflicting is all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm just saying it's really throwing me off here with the numbers. As tax goes up it appears that my monthly power generation goes down. The # for the sector's monthly power generation goes from -2 to 0. But it also says that the sector is going from "break even at zero tax" to "-2 at 75% tax."

The screen is conflicting is all.

Well yeah as you increase tax the sector becomes less solvent?

I don't think that's your power generation, it's your net power, which if you're taxing 75% of it, it'll go down.

The interface is generally kind of weird but you can usually get the gist of things.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 24, 2017

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Why can't my jump drive ships get out of there? I have closed borders with Glitched Defense Unit, everyone else is letting me roam at will. Hell you can see one of my science ships in the same territory I want to land in.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No, as I increase the tax, I receive less money

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you're not getting money either way because sectors won't drain your empire coffers automatically, but the interface doesn't handle tiny numbers very well, and it's probably not helped by the sector being in cutoff mode because it has no money and insufficient generation. Frankly I would suggest just taking it out of the sector until it's self sufficient.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What's new since they added hive minds? I see something about robot races? Did they officially incorporate that goon droid mod into the game?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like Reagan was right

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

Well you're not getting money either way because sectors won't drain your empire coffers automatically, but the interface doesn't handle tiny numbers very well, and it's probably not helped by the sector being in cutoff mode because it has no money and insufficient generation. Frankly I would suggest just taking it out of the sector until it's self sufficient.

I'm already just gonna pay it off manually until the governor deals with it, i'm only interested in what is supposedly going on with my power here.

At 75% tax my Empire monthly income is 15. At 0% my income is 18. Where is this energy going? Why is it going somewhere if you're not supposed to be able to share income with sectors, only tax out of sectors? (obviously one time give/take exists, I mean monthly income/expenditure here)
One part of the sector screen says it's going into the sector, sort of, but that same screen indicates the sector is getting even further into debt.

This is iron man, so I don't want to do it, but if I wanted to leave this guy as is, give no money but let the governor deal with it, what would happen at each tax rate? Why does it seem so crazy? Is the UI just bugged or would something buggy happen with the actual money?

Nessus posted:

Sounds like Reagan was right

this dude gets it, I should have gone hard into the the prosperity tree and forget everything else.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
PS when I went to hire that chick to be the governor, all 4 available options were army vets so I just picked the youngest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As tax goes up it appears that my monthly power generation goes down.
Let me tell you the tale of the Laffer Curve...

But it all seriousness, it doesn't matter much anyway, the sector contribution to your resource pool is zero as long as their income is negative (this only really applies to power, sectors can't actually have negative mineral incomes as they don't have ships and you pay their consumer goods costs). So it's probably a UI bug, but the final takeaway here is that either you give them control of more power sources, or you have to keep manually sending them energy.

• Locked thread