Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A problem I had with Demon's and DS1 is that some options are too good that I have to stave off using them to prevent each run from too samey: Adjudicator's Shield, Crescent Falchion, Sticky Composite Bow, Quelaag's Furysword, Havel's Armour, Grass Crest Shield... For all the poo poo DS2: SOTFS gets it does have the best build balance and variety in the series .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've never tried the Lava Bow but I've heard a whole lot of people use it even without upgrading Dex much.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Caphi posted:

Oh I almost forgot - do the slime island as soon as you can. Which is not soon, but do it.
I haven't had any choice about where to go yet so I assume that'll be a ways off, yeah.

Oh, should I just open every Katz chest I find? Are the new dressup items on specific ones, or just after opening X chests?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just open them, it's based on how many you've opened, not which ones.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Roger. I haven't actually run into any problems affording to open them yet but I was assuming that'd change evnetually.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I beat Bloodborne almost entirely with Ludwig's sword in GS mode, which is weird because I never liked GS weapons in Dark Souls. Ludwig's fuckin' owned though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

Roger. I haven't actually run into any problems affording to open them yet but I was assuming that'd change evnetually.

it honestly depends on how frequently you play/progress. i'd play like an hour or two a day and most of that was spent fighting poo poo and not progressing particularly much, so the spirits would respawn in full pretty frequently and i never had to deliberately grind for them, but it also took me like five months to play the whole game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-oWi2hPz5Y

General Atelier and Gust TGS presentations will be live for the next couple hours.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

U-DO Burger posted:

5 had you searching for Johnny Appleseed and I don't remember what it referred to but it wasn't the big bad because the big bad in 5 was a cloud of hatred or something that got killed offscreen

I think it turned out the mystery girl you're traveling with is Johnny Appleseed but I don't remember what comes of it. Honestly the only memorable things about WA5 are it suddenly turning into a mecha anime near the end and MUSCLE BUTLER.

Oh and the utterly ridiculous way the main character wields his weapon.

(In contrast, the only memorable things about WA4 are the one early scene with the time power running and Raquel basically destroying the entire game solo)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think it turned out the mystery girl you're traveling with is Johnny Appleseed but I don't remember what comes of it. Honestly the only memorable things about WA5 are it suddenly turning into a mecha anime near the end and MUSCLE BUTLER.

(In contrast, the only memorable things about WA4 are the one early scene with the time power running and Raquel basically destroying the entire game solo)

You don't remember the hilarous way the protagonist's mother dies in WA4?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just catching up on the thread and could you guys kindly not go for the big open spoilers on parts of Wild Arms 3 I haven't gotten to yet?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

You don't remember the hilarous way the protagonist's mother dies in WA4?

I really don't. Like, legitimately, WA4 is like this big memory hole for me. I know I beat it (I remember being shocked at the game ending, it does so really suddenly) but I don't remember ANY plot beats from it. Oh, I also remember it having an incredibly grindy crafting system that was introduced waaaay too late and was also really unnecessary because Raquel just chumps on everything in the entire game regardless.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

I really don't. Like, legitimately, WA4 is like this big memory hole for me. I know I beat it (I remember being shocked at the game ending, it does so really suddenly) but I don't remember ANY plot beats from it. Oh, I also remember it having an incredibly grindy crafting system that was introduced waaaay too late and was also really unnecessary because Raquel just chumps on everything in the entire game regardless.

What about the part where someone shoots down missiles using only his guns which are also keeping him airborne.

Also he punches the final missile.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 24, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it pisses me off that the crafting percentages in tactics ogre LUCT are a lie. 100% of the tine you will get the same order of successes and failures if you reload a save state over and over again

to say nothing of it being moronic to have a chance to fail in the first place, especially in a single player game

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Relin posted:

it pisses me off that the crafting percentages in tactics ogre LUCT are a lie. 100% of the tine you will get the same order of successes and failures if you reload a save state over and over again

to say nothing of it being moronic to have a chance to fail in the first place, especially in a single player game
If you're playing it on an emulator (which you are if you have save states), just cheat it

code:
_C0 Can mix with insufficient materials
_L 0x201214F0 0x34110063

_C0 materials won't drop when mixing
_L 0x2008B9C8 0x10000003

_C1 Mixing success rate 100%
_L 0x201285B4 0x10000015
_L 0x2012860C 0x340200FF

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wild Arms 4 was really short and while I don't remember all the plot points the general message was that older people are the worst and do nothing but make things worse for the next generation, but since the older generation is so influential the young have no choice but to accept their lovely lot or else abandon society altogether and live as a ranger or something. I thought it was a pretty pessimitic message when I played it years ago but in TYOOL 2017 I'm suddenly more receptive

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Relin posted:

... Even if you're doing things with different listed success rates? Because that if not, just means they were lazy with their RNG and only had it advance when used.

If you get the same order of successes and failures no matter what you're actually trying to do, then, yeah, that's bullshit.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

its not that oscar is some pure being its that velvet's realizing that she's kind of a shithead. her entire point was refusing to accept a world built on the sacrifice of her brother and then, wait, she's been stopping that world by sacrificing other people.

Velvet's position was never "no murder ever" it's "no sacrificing peaceful innocents for others and I'll kill the murderers that try it". So Oscar tripping her up rang stupidly hollow. Especially given she was responsible for killing way better people.

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-oWi2hPz5Y

General Atelier and Gust TGS presentations will be live for the next couple hours.

Man I hope the new Atelier is better. The series has been really uneven since Arland. I just had another go at Ayesha after listening to the soundtrack on loop for a while. And goddamn I forgot how rough it was. And how obnoxious Keithgriff is.

At least Firis was experimental I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Velvet's position was never "no murder ever" it's "no sacrificing peaceful innocents for others and I'll kill the murderers that try it". So Oscar tripping her up rang stupidly hollow. Especially given she was responsible for killing way better people.
Again, it wasn't that Oscar was uniquely good, or about 'no murder ever,' it was that literally 'killing someone's brother made older sister sad' tripped her up due to her specific pain, and no matter how she tried to justify it she still took someone's little brother away.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Again, it wasn't that Oscar was uniquely good, or about 'no murder ever,' it was that literally 'killing someone's brother made older sister sad' tripped her up due to her specific pain, and no matter how she tried to justify it she still took someone's little brother away.

It's not subtle, either, there are a bunch of explicit parallels drawn in the leadup and I think Velvet spells it out when it happens.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

I remember the mysterious girl being revealed to be stuck in a time loop being forced to live out the events of the game forever, which is a horrifying fate, but the game wants you to think it's sweet.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Caphi posted:

It's not subtle, either, there are a bunch of explicit parallels drawn in the leadup and I think Velvet spells it out when it happens.

Of course it isn’t subtle, haha! Just because they intended to send a certain message doesnt mean they did it well. No one needs to hear what the intent of the scene was when the criticism is that said intent was poorly delivered.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Wendell posted:

Of course it isn’t subtle, haha! Just because they intended to send a certain message doesnt mean they did it well. No one needs to hear what the intent of the scene was when the criticism is that said intent was poorly delivered.

It was not subtle in that it was extremely clearly delivered.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Good God, Caphi.

Yes, it was very clear.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sorry, I'm confused. What are we arguing about?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Found The Abyss in Wild Arms 3 and hating every moment of it. On the plus side, I gots me a sickass transforming dragon plane, so goodbye Sandcraft :wave:. I also lucked into finding the Teleport Gem as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Caphi posted:

e2: I saw a white dude repeatedly fail to go into the "GO HERE TO NOT TAKE FIRE DAMAGE" zone and then die to the dragon. I think maybe he couldn't read, but the audio was in English. :shrug:

Gamers gave Dean Takahashi poo poo about that Cuphead mess but as it turns out, they're all terrible.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Caphi posted:

Sorry, I'm confused. What are we arguing about?

I think he's saying, "It was poorly done, it doesn't matter how obvious it was"

RareAcumen posted:

Gamers gave Dean Takahashi poo poo about that Cuphead mess but as it turns out, they're all terrible.

Yeah, while the Cuphead thing was funny, it ultimately should just show us that, in fact, gamers really ARE that bad at video games a lot of the time

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's one constant in life: "Anyone who's not me sucks unless they are better than me".

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Hot take alert: WA4 and 5 are both fun games and worth playing. They may drop the western motif, but the hex battle system is fun, the side scrolling dungeons give me Valkyrie Profile nostalgia, and story is ridiculous in an amusing way.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Man I hope the new Atelier is better. The series has been really uneven since Arland. I just had another go at Ayesha after listening to the soundtrack on loop for a while. And goddamn I forgot how rough it was. And how obnoxious Keithgriff is.

what the

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the cuphead reviewer is legit a terrible gamer journalist

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One other thing I want to mention about Wild Arms 3 whoever put Grab and Sprint on the same button is a sick deviant in need of a severe kicking. Nevermind the edge of the Millennium Puzzle platforms not doing the usual edge-balance warning. The ones on upper levels will, but over the abyss? gently caress you, bye! :wave:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
All this talk of Wild Arms makes me wonder what Media Vision are doing late-

quote:

2017 Valkyria Revolution
Ooooh...
I guess they did make Cyber Sleuth too at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One day I will open my copy of Valkyria Revolution and find out if it's as bad as people say, but not today.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One other thing I want to mention about Wild Arms 3 whoever put Grab and Sprint on the same button is a sick deviant in need of a severe kicking. Nevermind the edge of the Millennium Puzzle platforms not doing the usual edge-balance warning. The ones on upper levels will, but over the abyss? gently caress you, bye! :wave:

For some reason the Millennium Puzzles are my favorite parts of those games :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
SaGa Scarlet Grace is good. It'll be even better when I actually figure out the battle system. I thought it had clicked until the first time an enemy did an interrupt attack which cancelled all my actions and spells and did as much damage as multi-turn-charge magic to my whole party.

I'm also confused by the difficulty ratings on the battles. It seems to go:
Easy - One or two enemies that die in one hit
Normal - Nightmarish struggle against large number of tough enemies that cluster on the battle turn order so you can't pull off any combo attacks while fighting them. Also they have counters that kill you in one hit and BS interrupt skills
Hard - Boss fight which is easy because you're either getting five actions to its one or killing its adds to spark off combo attacks.

But anyway battle is fun when it makes sense and I love the open-ended feeling and crystal-clear upgrade system. Also the music is top notch and the character designs are unique and very nice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I did not like Ayesha, but loved Escha and Shallie games. The jump in quality is really big for me across the board. Mostly the combat in Ayesha is not that fun in comparison.

Although I will say Ayesha has a top tier battle theme that I always slap on Escha and Shallie.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ventana posted:

I think he's saying, "It was poorly done, it doesn't matter how obvious it was"

Yeah, while the Cuphead thing was funny, it ultimately should just show us that, in fact, gamers really ARE that bad at video games a lot of the time

Also the devs should be careful about designing tutorials, because that tutorial was really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

not liking keithgriff makes 0 sense