Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hitman 2016 isn't any dumber than most of today's action flicks but got slammed really hard by the critics because it's a video game movie. I didn't love it my any means but there were far worse movies that got better ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I would legit pay money for those.

According to the top of the blog, he takes commissions, so you can probably just ask for a copy of Doomguy and Friends. The prices are a bit expensive though:

quote:

Hey everybody, I'm a self taught custom figure creator and sketch artist. I like to sculpt, paint, and draw and I enjoy many variations of art. I create custom action figures using old figures, apoxie clay, and acrylic paint.
Like a custom figure of your very own the way you want it? Contact me at chancewalker98@gmail.com
3.75 - 5 Inch $20 - $45,
6 - 8 Inch $50 - $75,
9 - 10 Inch $80 - $95,
11 - 12 Inch $100+,
Payable through PayPal, half of the order must be paid for before work begins on the commissions.
Additional accessories (weapons, stands, alternate body parts etc.) can be added to order for an additional fee.
Ships to anywhere, buyer pays for shipping, can combine shipping if you have multiple commissions. Limit of 3 figures per order.

For reference, he says the Doomguy one is 6in tall which would make them all about 5-6 save the cyberdemon who looks about 8.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 23, 2017

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

terminus i would like to say i love high noon drifter and demonsteele and i also love listening to the demonsteele music thing with other mods also.
Thanks, I had a lot of fun making them. HND was an especially interesting romp for me, I'm already curious about what to make next.

Pope Guilty posted:

Does High Noon Drifter run really slowly for anybody else? I've never seen a Doom mod with framerate issues before.
Can you specify a bit, please? Does it have issues when you do anything in particular or just standing still? Does it still run slowly in the Optimization section in Mod Options with stuff turned off?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Thanks, I had a lot of fun making them. HND was an especially interesting romp for me, I'm already curious about what to make next.

REVENANT: THE AGITATION

or it might be only me who likes that idea

Demonsteele fits ninja movies, hnd fits westerns, maybe a pulpy scifi or fantasy weaponset? Mars attacks had a lot of different rayguns and death effects, could be neat.

I'm sure whatever you do will be awesome though

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Stranglehold Doom.

Because pigeons.

Because berettas.

Because diving while shooting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'm already curious about what to make next.

A new Demonsteele update? :v:

Guillermus posted:

Because pigeons.

They're doves, you Philistine. Plus, Stranglehold isn't even iconic HKBO.

That said, yeah, HKBO Doom would own super hard.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 24, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it'd be pretty funny to have the original martians rise up against the demons who are invading mars

although not these exact martians cause original creations are always rad

edit: also i thought the fantasy weapons in hnd were super dope so a full wizard mod would be sweet. there's no real original magical type weapon sets for doom outside of heretic and hexen mods.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 24, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

A new Demonsteele update? :v:

They're doves, you Philistine. Plus, Stranglehold isn't even iconic HKBO.

That said, yeah, HKBO Doom would own super hard.

They're white flying rats, doves or pigeons, they're all flying rats.

And I said Stranglehold because the game owned and you can't tell me otherwise :colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

asian cinema would def be sweet but i'd worry it'd end up being similar to all the other modern weapon themed mods. now kung fu movies, on the other hand.

flying guillotine, meteor hammer, crazy pressure point moves that make people explode, throwing needles. that'd be dope

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A Doom equivalent to Big Trouble in Little China would be fun DON'T MENTION SHADOW WARRIOR

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Casimir Radon posted:

Hitman 2016 isn't any dumber than most of today's action flicks but got slammed really hard by the critics because it's a video game movie. I didn't love it my any means but there were far worse movies that got better ratings.

When people defend movies and games and things like this it legit annoys me because it feels like it's barely trying to defend the movie in question on any real merits and instead shifting the conversation to tedious arguments about 'well why did you like that but not like this?'. In any event that Hitman movie was still both a bad action film and even a bad based-on-the-popular-game-series-Hitman film, when you boil down the games to their best elements, that is to say complex social stealth where you take down high-profile targets in a cinematic locale with such ruthless efficiency nobody even knows it's happened, it sounds like you could make an absolutely kick-rear end thriller movie from that concept but both Hitman movies went for action schlock instead when they could have been so much better. Like Hitman 2016 (the game) is a way better Hitman movie than Hitman 2016 (the movie).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

asian cinema would def be sweet but i'd worry it'd end up being similar to all the other modern weapon themed mods. now kung fu movies, on the other hand.

flying guillotine, meteor hammer, crazy pressure point moves that make people explode, throwing needles. that'd be dope

This was already done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXIFg5L4uk

:v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

that looks sweet its a shame its probably an unplayable mess these days

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

it'd be pretty funny to have the original martians rise up against the demons who are invading mars

although not these exact martians cause original creations are always rad

I'd be down for anything, but I would be super down for this one. I wish there were more classic sci-fi shooters. Like Duke Nukem, but the 1950s.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Give me the Mars attacks game including a level where you have to roll grandma around town blasting terrible country music

And Jack Nicholson playing 3 separate roles

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

catlord posted:

I'd be down for anything, but I would be super down for this one. I wish there were more classic sci-fi shooters. Like Duke Nukem, but the 1950s.

I really liked the destroy all humans games for basically being mars attacks where you're the martian. it showed how many cool different rayguns you could have without them getting samey

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Can you specify a bit, please? Does it have issues when you do anything in particular or just standing still? Does it still run slowly in the Optimization section in Mod Options with stuff turned off?

Okay, this is weird. Previously when I'd load HND (I was playing both vanilla Doom and Strange Aeons with it) the whole game would load slowly and framerates would just be really bad, like my computer was underpowered. I just loaded it up again, played through E1 and a bit of SA, and everything runs as smoothly as it should. No idea what was going on. Thanks anyway though. :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

khwarezm posted:

When people defend movies and games and things like this it legit annoys me because it feels like it's barely trying to defend the movie in question on any real merits and instead shifting the conversation to tedious arguments about 'well why did you like that but not like this?'. In any event that Hitman movie was still both a bad action film and even a bad based-on-the-popular-game-series-Hitman film, when you boil down the games to their best elements, that is to say complex social stealth where you take down high-profile targets in a cinematic locale with such ruthless efficiency nobody even knows it's happened, it sounds like you could make an absolutely kick-rear end thriller movie from that concept but both Hitman movies went for action schlock instead when they could have been so much better. Like Hitman 2016 (the game) is a way better Hitman movie than Hitman 2016 (the movie).

I think the reason why most video game movies are so poor is because they're usually not given to really great directors or because they're treated more like a product. Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne, Postal, and Far Cry were all Uwe Boll films, and his films were (up until the last few years or so) mainly created as a way to exploit German tax loopholes. Simon West directed Tomb Raider (which I totally forgot about, even though I saw the end of it yesterday), but the only other films on his filmography that I recognize are Con Air and Expendables 2. Andrzej Bartkowiak was the guy who directed Doom, and amusingly, he also directed Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li.

Mind you, 'm not saying that a video game film need to be done by high-class director (though getting Guillermo Del Toro to do a video game film might turn out pretty well), but the majority of game adaptation suffer because you get directors who don't really have a great filmography, they don't care for the material. The very weird exception to this is the Wing Commander movie, which was directed by Chris Roberts, who created and worked on the Wing Commander series, so I don't know what went wrong there.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I don't know who it was, but I'm reasonably sure it was someone in these forums who suggested that the best way to do a Hitman movie would be to make Agent 47 the antagonist and play it as some sort of thriller/slasher. Cinematic aesthetics aside, I don't really think the games make good movies, since the central gameplay "loop" is just the player constantly replaying and exploring a level until they have the tools and timing they need to pull off a perfect silent assassination. But if you take the focus off him and build a story around a group of people trying to stop/avoid him, you might have something workable. You'd also be able to utilize the mystique of Agent 47 more effectively if he isn't the central character; if he's the villain you don't have to spend a lot of time humanizing him (and, honestly, humanizing Agent 47 is the sort of thing you could do more effectively with small gestures than with a love interest or a tragic backstory) and you can build off his in-universe reputation as a diabolical figure who can slip in anywhere, become anyone, defeat any sort of security, assassinate his target with a seemingly random accident, then disappear without anyone knowing he was there. If he does have to be the protagonist, it might be better to model the movie after something like the Doctor Mabuse films; follow both him and his pursuers, but play Agent 47 as a compelling supervillain and his opponents as bland schmucks.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I really liked the destroy all humans games for basically being mars attacks where you're the martian. it showed how many cool different rayguns you could have without them getting samey

Ooh, yeah, I forget about those games all the time. They were console exclusives during the time when I didn't have a console (and even now I only have a Dreamcast and a PS2). I should look into finding them.

Max Wilco posted:

The very weird exception to this is the Wing Commander movie, which was directed by Chris Roberts, who created and worked on the Wing Commander series, so I don't know what went wrong there.

Is it true that it was so bad that he cried at the premier?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
House Of The Dead was particularly galling because it's already a cool premise for a movie but Uwe Boll's gotta do his thing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're gonna watch House of the Dead, you've gotta do it thrice. First, straight through. Second, with Uwe's insulting, disdainful commentary. Third, with the writer's mournful, apologetic commentary. It's the only time I know where a complete three-act story is told by watching the same movie three times in a row.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

Is it true that it was so bad that he cried at the premier?

I'm not sure about the crying part, but a few years ago somebody asked him for his thoughts on the movie, and he seemed pretty self-aware and nonplussed with the final product:

quote:

The Wing Commander movie was not the movie I saw in my head when I developed it so it was disappointing as on my games I pretty much always manage to realize the picture in my head on the screen. I think there was a combination factors that contributed to this:

1) My inexperience as a film director. I had directed live action for WC3 and WC4 but a film is a whole other level of subtly and finesse.

2) I needed a producer that could do more than just do a good deal. I needed someone to help me on the set, to tell me hey Chris I know you want to do these 10 things but we only have money to do 5 things really well. So let's pick what they are and knock them out of the park and cut the others. This is what a strong creative producer does, and its what I've tried to do for other directors I've worked with over the last 10 years.

3) We had a ridiculously short pre-production timeline. The movie wasn't greenlit until December and we were in production towards the end of February - we basically had under 3 months of pre-production, which for a complicated sci-fi movie is way too short. Most films like this have 6 months, some much longer. Its why the Kilrathi and a lot of other stuff ended up being cut - we didn't get to test / work them out in pre-production, so we had to rely on what we got - and a lot of it just didn't work. Originally we had more time but when Fox signed the deal to distribute the next three Star Wars films from Lucas, they insisted that we deliver before SW Ep 1 so they could release before hand. So we were given a 1998 Dec delivery date. Given the time needed for the VFX we had to move up the shoot date.

4) I gave into some of the studio's casting choices. In the same situation I would not. They were very keen to bring in all the young horror fans that were seeing movies like Scream and I know what you did Last Summer - but that really wasn't the Wing Commander audience. If I made the movie today it would be 10x better... I've learnt a lot over the last ten years and have matured as person / story teller. Having said that there are still some things in it that I'm quite proud of - there's some really great visual moments. But I would do a better job of the emotion and feeling if I was making it today.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
"1) My inexperience as a film director. I had directed live action for WC3 and WC4 but a film is a whole other level of subtly and finesse."

oh, word?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
No director in the world was going to make the "bulldozing a crashed fighter into space" scene any good.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Dumb question about modding: do any of the Quake engine variants support Half-Life style level transitions? Valve is baffled that anyone would want to work with goldsrc anymore, to the point that even they recommend 'just use Quake' whenever anyone mentions a bug in the thing (or getting a source code release, for that matter... when they're not claiming they lost the source code.)

(Heck, I could probably abuse Doom maps enough to pull off the stupid thing I'm imagining if any of those have it working.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

No director in the world was going to make the "bulldozing a crashed fighter into space" scene any good.
I'd love to see somebody try.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

Dumb question about modding: do any of the Quake engine variants support Half-Life style level transitions?

Quake engines I don't know, but someone managed to implement them in GZDoom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

(or getting a source code release, for that matter... when they're not claiming they lost the source code.)
The source code still exists, the Sven Co-Op team have it.

IIRC Half-Life uses a commercial third-party sound middleware, which is probably holding things up a bunch.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

That's not what they claim though... they claim that even the stuff they gave Sven Co-Op no longer exists. And honestly, it wouldn't be the first time the source code to an engine was released with all the sound features stubbed out. Meridian 59 is the only example I can find verification of easily, but I'm pretty sure there's been others. That would take a little time though, I suppose.

(You'd think they could find the time with all the not making Half-Life 2 Episode 3 they're doing though)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 24, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
How about the Doom source releases having to drop out the package they used for sound on DOS? :v:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

How much middleware is used in Source? There's Havok, but I'm not sure of anything else.

Havok is unlikely to ever be open, so I would assume that'd kill any chance of open source Source (loving hell Valve) unless some other physics engine like bullet could be adapted to it, I have no idea if that's even practical. Has there ever been a case of a game switching physics engines mid-development?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

The source code still exists, the Sven Co-Op team have it.

IIRC Half-Life uses a commercial third-party sound middleware, which is probably holding things up a bunch.

That makes zero sense. Is the sound code so wrapped up in everything that they can't just strip out the sound engine and let people throw in OpenAL?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissCM posted:

How much middleware is used in Source? There's Havok, but I'm not sure of anything else.

Besides Havok the big ones are RAD Bink (for video), RAD Miles (for audio) and Scaleform (for GUI). Scaleform was a more recent addition though, early Source games used an in-house GUI framework.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

That's not what they claim though... they claim that even the stuff they gave Sven Co-Op no longer exists. And honestly, it wouldn't be the first time the source code to an engine was released with all the sound features stubbed out. Meridian 59 is the only example I can find verification of easily, but I'm pretty sure there's been others. That would take a little time though, I suppose.

(You'd think they could find the time with all the not making Half-Life 2 Episode 3 they're doing though)
Wouldn't be the first time this happened to Half-Life 1 - at some point like, three months before the game shipped, their version control server (Sourcesafe, I think?) died catastrophically and they had to piece the game together from the files on everybody's work machines.

Thusly, I suggest that GoldSrc is loving haunted.

repiv posted:

Besides Havok the big ones are RAD Bink (for video), RAD Miles (for audio) and Scaleform (for GUI). Scaleform was a more recent addition though, early Source games used an in-house GUI framework.
Source 2 seems to be replacing all the middleware with their own wheel-reinventions, like Rubikon physics and Panorama UI. I believe Panorama's gonna be backported to CS:GO at some point, because Scaleform (and Flash in general) are dead as hell.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LogicalFallacy posted:

Re: Wheel of Time FPS, it's definitely an odd duck. It's beenyears since I've really played it, but there's funky tower defense style mechanics and other shenanigans that I vaguely remember. Also, it's impossible to get nowadays except by downloading it from a fan-site. Runs surprisingly well on modern systems though, so that's a plus.

I can't say a lot about the Wheel of Time singleplayer (I think it was pretty okay?) but the multiplayer was ridiculously advanced. Imagine a team deathmatch, but with an Orcs Must Die base building phase at the start of the match.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fil5000 posted:

Hey, does Unreal 2 count as an "early FPS"? Because I've suddenly got a hankering to play it and I'm wondering if it's worth me grabbing it from GoG.

What gave you this hankering? I had U2 back in the day and it was legit one of the most boring fps experiences I've ever seen. I'm talking like, a year later I thought "there's no way it's as bad as I remember" and I'd reinstall and sure enough, it was.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually asking

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

SwissCM posted:

Has there ever been a case of a game switching physics engines mid-development?
I imagine there's been a few other cases as well, but the only ones I can think of off-hand are Kerbal Space Program , which switched from Unity 4 to Unity 5 near the end of development, so nothing really drastic there, and, far more relevant to this thread, Daikatana, which moved from Quake to the Quake 2 engine halfway through development.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Duke Nukem Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LogicalFallacy posted:

I imagine there's been a few other cases as well, but the only ones I can think of off-hand are Kerbal Space Program , which switched from Unity 4 to Unity 5 near the end of development

Of course, being an early access superstar, "near the end of development" here means the game had been on sale for several years at that point.