Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Don't sherpa-shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yall some grumpy motherfuckers

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Norns posted:

Yall some grumpy motherfuckers

Kiranamos posted:

Don't sherpa-shame

Sherpa runs are cool and good but don't get mad at people who don't want to do them and just want to blaze through.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so apparently killing enemies with your super, while sentinel, means killing them only with shield throw, which is super cool and intuitive and exactly what i would expect

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ah, good, my sixth pair of dunemarchers. perfect.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Sherpa runs are cool and good but don't get mad at people who don't want to do them and just want to blaze through.

Funnily the community names and shames those masochists who want to get lost into an 11 hours pubbie hell.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m hoping to get dragged through a Sherpa run next weekend, I should be 280 by then.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I’m hoping to get dragged through a Sherpa run next weekend, I should be 280 by then.

If you're in the Discord you will be able to do this for sure.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WAVEFORM

So in Destiny 1 there's (we guess) an easter egg on a PVP map called Last Exit. A cipher, still unbroken, that scrolls on an LED Marquee board above a subway entrance. Cryptographers take note:

code:
j?96exd.\?i 7kj\psq3euj\@x.yt5 ,33szl'!( +9-7!!/@ 2enr?hqj+r,r+c?)
This was cool and stuff and I'm a fiend for secrets, so I poked around. On the same map, it's noticeable that there's red, blue, and green derelict subway cars with colored destination signs inside that match these other signs on a nearby platform:

These things drove me nuts, because when you have a cipher like this, presumably there's a key somewhere. To me, they looked like the basic shapes of waveforms that you'd see on an oscilloscope. Left to right: triangle, sine, square waves, just a single pulse of each, enough to succinctly represent the shape of the wave.

I don't know what one would DO with this information, but it seemed pertinent, not just Cow Tools or something; why go to that effort, etc.

You see this "waveform" motif in a few places if you look around in the games, but it's quite visible when it's circumscribed around The Traveler, like in the Age of Triumph (D1) release trailers:

The same "waveform" motifs (I guess per-class?) have returned in the form of halos behind Ikora, Zavala, and Cayde on the Vanguard Strike screen, so now I'm just truly lollin':

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 24, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
really, just super informative stuff. triangles behind the vanguard. what can it mean? perhaps it is something to do with the triangles coming to destroy humanity? only self-important rear end in a top hat waffle house can crack the code.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled salt and vinegar.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:season:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I get the feeling some of yall actually want the game to reward you if, and only if, you play 10 hours a day. What's wrong with your brain. Some of us have jobs and wives, it's pretty cool that I can actually just hop on, clown on fools in the Crucible, run a lap around a planet or two, make some progress + get new Barbie options, and then turn it off. :shrug:

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Sorry it's so difficult for some of you to have fun, I guess.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's not really true, the issue is the gameplay loop stops at that amount of play. right now if you're not farming for exotics after you're done with your weeklies you're not making any progression, and with static rolls on armor and weapons there's not a whole lot to really farm for.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Waffle House posted:

WAVEFORM

So in Destiny 1 there's (we guess) an easter egg on a PVP map called Last Exit. A cipher, still unbroken, that scrolls on an LED Marquee board above a subway entrance. Cryptographers take note:

code:
j?96exd.\?i 7kj\psq3euj\@x.yt5 ,33szl'!( +9-7!!/@ 2enr?hqj+r,r+c?)

This was cool and stuff and I'm a fiend for secrets, so I poked around. On the same map, it's noticeable that there's red, blue, and green derelict subway cars with colored destination signs inside that match these other signs on a nearby platform:

These things drove me nuts, because when you have a cipher like this, presumably there's a key somewhere. To me, they looked like the basic shapes of waveforms that you'd see on an oscilloscope. Left to right: triangle, sine, square waves, just a single pulse of each, enough to succinctly represent the shape of the wave.

I don't know what one would DO with this information, but it seemed pertinent, not just Cow Tools or something; why go to that effort, etc.

You see this "waveform" motif in a few places if you look around in the games, but it's quite visible when it's circumscribed around The Traveler, like in the Age of Triumph (D1) release trailers:

The same "waveform" motifs (I guess per-class?) have returned in the form of halos behind Ikora, Zavala, and Cayde on the Vanguard Strike screen, so now I'm just truly lollin':

THERE'S A WAR FOR YOUR MIND

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nameless Midnight dropped for me and holy gently caress it's good. Thanks to the explosive blast bullets it's like an EZ mode sniper rifle, anything near the reticle just gets hit and it spreads even on shield dudes. This is the perfect Legde. scout rifle.

So far my favorites have been all the "explosive blasts plus enemies asplode" guns like Sunshot, Midnight, the exotic pulse rifle you get from Asher, and basically autorifles with great precision and range like Perseverance. I know there's a few Omolon autos that people like more but I love the fire rate and stability on Perseverance.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Between the Lincoln Green and Agenda 5, I'm really starting to enjoy using pulse rifles in D2 when I couldn't stand them in the last game.
Are you using them in pvp? Because I hate the way they feel in pve.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Adjudicator and Agenda 5 is a dope rear end crucible loadout pals. Fun change from MIDA / Prosecutor that I've been running non-stop.

Haven't gone flawless yet this week but a few of us had a fun 7-1 run late night where the only loss was a 5-6 where they defused the final cap with 2 seconds or so left. Losing sucks but that was intense as hell and a super good time all around. Mostly potato teams but that was after running a card earlier where we went 1-3, fighting tons of pros.

A good counter to the scout meta this week is 4 sidearms, if the team runs as a pack and can use cover effectively to push. Haven't figured out a way to combat that yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that's not really true, the issue is the gameplay loop stops at that amount of play. right now if you're not farming for exotics after you're done with your weeklies you're not making any progression, and with static rolls on armor and weapons there's not a whole lot to really farm for.

so play a different game.

But you're constantly getting Shards and Materials and Bright Engrams so oh wait no the gameplay loop doesn't stop there, you just want there to be better rewards for poopsocking?

I wasn't calling you specifically out, mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pulse rifles being powerful in PVP but garbage in PVE is a beloved Destiny tradition

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I switched from Origin Story to Sweet Business in Crucible and it really shines, start the windup right as you know someone is gonna be coming into sight and you shred them. And man I'll say it again, Black Scorpion is fantastic at ludicrous range.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Iron banner needs to come back, and there needs to be tier levels or prestige or something.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

Pulse rifles being powerful in PVP but garbage in PVE is a beloved Destiny tradition

Except Hakke pulse rifles. They are garbage in everything.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Iron banner needs to come back, and there needs to be tier levels or prestige or something.

It is coming back.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

precision posted:

so play a different game.

But you're constantly getting Shards and Materials and Bright Engrams so oh wait no the gameplay loop doesn't stop there, you just want there to be better rewards for poopsocking?

I wasn't calling you specifically out, mind.

none of those are progression dude. no one played destiny 1 as much as they did for gunsmith materials or glimmer or even for the treasure chests, they played it for the guns and armor and exotics. now that a; there's practically no way to target items you want and b; there's no randomization on the items, it's entirely plausible to run out of poo poo to aim for.

like everyone's argument is that destiny is a loot game but the entire point of loot games is that you don't run out of poo poo to get, which is a very real possibility here and is something that's already happening. eighty percent of what i'm getting are duplicates that are literally identical to poo poo i already have.

i don't want there to be 'better rewards for poopsocking', i want there to actually be poo poo worth playing for once you've done your weeklies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What's really sad is that these are all arguments from vanilla d1. It's like Bungie didn't learn poo poo from those 3 years!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh they learned, they just didn't do anything about it for D2 as it is now. They definitely will for the expansions.

The why is the hosed up thing about it.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

Insane Totoro posted:

:siren:

Just some quick reminders:

The "Big Dum Contest" is still running and you can win some PSN gift cards. So if you're creative and you want to have your DLC paid for, come and submit an entry!

Hit the Discord for more info in the #bigdumcontest channel:

https://discord.gg/95fbQSe

Overflow Clan:

I've taken personal command of the clan PS4/PC Battalion 7 "Boat Drivin Space Moanas" AKA "Clan Vape Wolves" and that's the group I'll be shepherding through the raid and other "hard" content. It's also the overflow clan with the most room in it currently. Come join. Friends and family (but why would you) welcome:

https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2551632

Hi. I sent a request, my psn is cleevelandr. I'm insanely bad at Destiny 2, even though I enjoy playing it a lot. My kokoro wish is to one day gain enough confidence to try taking on the raid with some goon buds.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

Nirwen's Mercy will forever be my favorite non-hand cannon PvE gun though. The first vendor roll was just so drat solid.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

This is actually fine. What are you progressing to? The game will guide you to raid readiness and above just with blues. If you raid and trials you'll progress even more.

There's no reason to sit and grind unless it's for exotics, glimmer/mods, new guns from rankups and maybe just for fun. That's cool and good.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Menstrual Show posted:

Nirwen's Mercy will forever be my favorite non-hand cannon PvE gun though. The first vendor roll was just so drat solid.

For real, was it outlaw/third eye? After a while I moved onto a gimmicky spare change with 3 reload perks on it, but Nirwen's owned

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Man just log in and do your weekly poo poo if you're 100 percent out of stuff to do? Faction stuff is in like 2 days you spurglords

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
If you're super bored maybe make a warlock or hunter?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Aren't we getting a bunch of new gear for Faction Wars this week?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

The Meat Dimension posted:

For real, was it outlaw/third eye? After a while I moved onto a gimmicky spare change with 3 reload perks on it, but Nirwen's owned

Yuuup OAS / Third Eye / Perfect Balance / Outlaw

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

haveblue posted:

Red Death was my go to gun for every mode

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
[quote="“Menstrual Show”" post="“476717072”"]
Nirwen’s Mercy will forever be my favorite non-hand cannon PvE gun though. The first vendor roll was just so drat solid.
[/quote]

I used Nirwen’s Mercy until the very end. Even when after it got sorta outclassed after RoI came out. It was my PvP gun from late-2015 to 2017.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't want there to be 'better rewards for poopsocking', i want there to actually be poo poo worth playing for once you've done your weeklies.

Okay but think about it. Bungie want casuals to have fun. So the average person can play X hours a week, they make it so that by hour X you've gotten the best you can get for that week. If someone plays 2X hours per week, you can't give them better stuff for it, because you've already established that you get the best stuff of the week at Hour X.

There's nothing they CAN give you past that except more options/cosmetics and guess what? Oh hey that's exactly what happens now. You get guaranteed Brights at regular intervals.

If people who play 2X, or X^2, hours a week got "better" things than peeps who only play X hours... it immediately becomes false that you can get the best stuff per week by only playing X hours.

This is like super basic logic here. You can play all 3 classes to have more to do, or play for Brights, or play Crucible, or maybe just have fun shooting things and playing space wizard.

Whether you like it or not, the way the game is designed does make sense. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This is actually fine. What are you progressing to? The game will guide you to raid readiness and above just with blues. If you raid and trials you'll progress even more.

There's no reason to sit and grind unless it's for exotics, glimmer/mods, new guns from rankups and maybe just for fun. That's cool and good.

Basically This