Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am concerned that we're doing a repeat of the election news coverage failure where each new Trump thing (right now, the sports protests) manages to eat up so much of our national discourse that we can't resolve other huge problems (Puerto Rico is destroyed, we're spiraling toward war with NK).

How the hell have we not learned our lesson here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am concerned that we're doing a repeat of the election news coverage failure where each new Trump thing (right now, the sports protests) manages to eat up so much of our national discourse that we can't resolve other huge problems (Puerto Rico is destroyed, we're spiraling toward war with NK).

tell me how you think we, with Trump in the WH and Republicans in control of everything, would have resolved those problems otherwise

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Futuresight posted:

If addressing black women's concerns is going to consist entirely of putting more black women in positions of power and changing the rhetoric to mention them more then that's bullshit and it can gently caress off.

Holy poo poo, go gently caress yourself.

Like seriously what's wrong with more black women in positions of power? Do you realize how underrepresented we are??

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

hot take comin' through. do you have a solution or just want to whine about how people of color, and social injustice spearheaded by the president is getting the most airtime today.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Koalas March posted:

Like seriously what's wrong with more black women in positions of power? Do you realize how underrepresented we are??

sounds like affirmative action to me

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's absolutely fascinating and grotesquely bizarre when people say that Trump's antics distract us from a future war with North Korea when the reason that's a possibility now is, uh... Trump's antics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sephyr posted:

Heck, just look at the SPD getting stomped in Germany.

If the British COnservatives had the same policies and track record as the CDU cabinet, they would probably also trounce the Labor.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Koalas March posted:

I think he's trying to say that surface level changes or token level changes are bad, when it's actually policies that need to improve that support the average black woman instead.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

hanales posted:

I think he's trying to say that surface level changes or token level changes are bad, when it's actually policies that need to improve that support the average black woman instead.

I hope so. But the way it was written made it sound like he meant the black women would be making this change and getting the positions of power for themselves and that's bad. :psyduck:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

I hope so. But the way it was written made it sound like he meant the black women would be making this change and getting the positions of power for themselves and that's bad. :psyduck:

It seems to me what Hanales is saying is basically what Futuresight was getting at, for what it's worth.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Office Pig posted:

It seems to me what Hanales is saying is basically what Futuresight was getting at, for what it's worth.

its hard to tell when there isn't much difference b/t that and literally what every white person decrying AA says

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Office Pig posted:

I mean, the obvious example would be, Omarosa being in the white house. Is she pushing for policy that benefits black women as a whole, or is she there to feed the ego of trump and give him a "I don't hate black people" card? I know which side my opinion falls on.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Aves Maria! posted:

its hard to tell when there isn't much difference b/t that and literally what every white person decrying AA says

Well isn't that what this subforum is for? To discern the nuance that buries truth beneath propaganda? To actualize the complexities of our troubled world and the solutions that might offer us a chance to save ourselves?

... lol, no it isn't, but sometimes we get there, right?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

skylined! posted:

hot take comin' through. do you have a solution or just want to whine about how people of color, and social injustice spearheaded by the president is getting the most airtime today.

You're right - my post sounds like I don't give a poo poo about today's protests, and that's not true. I did a lovely job expressing my thoughts. Sorry.

I'll briefly try to dig myself out of this hole and will then shut up so I don't make it worse:

My intent was not that I think today's protests are unimportant. Rather, I think the constant stream of crises is harming our ability to have a national discourse about basically all of them. A variant of whataboutism.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

hanales posted:

all of these changes are good. promoting black women (who i guarantee you are no more or less qualified than everyone else in the same positions) creates paths and pipelines, which gets you stability. when you have stability, you have greater strength to enact real changes without your tenure being labeled "a failed experiment". because its no longer experimental.

you can enact changes that help average minority people, but you also want representatives that share a common history to feel safe to push for those kinds of changes, too.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Office Pig posted:

Well isn't that what this subforum is for? To discern the nuance that buries truth beneath propaganda? To actualize the complexities of our troubled world and the solutions that might offer us a chance to save ourselves?

... lol, no it isn't, but sometimes we get there, right?

it'd be nice, but esp now that everyone is so tense ambiguous statements are just going to result in backlash bc its hard to tell who is being nuanced and who is just being a poo poo

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Syenite posted:

Just lol at the liberal posters unironically punching left in this thread, in our current political climate.

Why wouldn't they? The leftists in this thread are bragging about how there's nothing liberals could reasonably do to make them happy. Why on Earth would the liberals want to be nice to them?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
both liberals and leftists are bad

that's why im a centr-

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

all of these changes are good. promoting black women (who i guarantee you are no more or less qualified than everyone else in the same positions) creates paths and pipelines, which gets you stability. when you have stability, you have greater strength to enact real changes without your tenure being labeled "a failed experiment". because its no longer experimental.

you can enact changes that help average minority people, but you also want representatives that share a common history to feel safe to push for those kinds of changes, too.

Well like anything else, if they hire someone in bad faith setting them up to fail, that isn't any better than not hiring them at all, or alternately intentionally marginalizing them once they have the job so that they can not effect any change over time, again you may as well have not hired the person, as they are now in a no-win situation.

You're not going to see a lot of people jumping at those kind of perceived opportunities. Which is why a lot of systemic change is needed. Policy statements backed up by funding to enact them, actual goals and milestones laid out so people know what is being worked toward, etc...

I do agree with you though, the paths have to be opened in the first place.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ratoslov posted:

Why wouldn't they? The leftists in this thread are bragging about how there's nothing liberals could reasonably do to make them happy. Why on Earth would the liberals want to be nice to them?

Because they are wrong about everything, and the only way they could ever rectify their political credentials is if they stopped being liberals.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Koalas March posted:

Futuresight posted:

I will say this: if Democrats did genuinely make massive strides in social justice for even a whole term, especially those that extend from abuse of authority, I think a lot of the left could easily overlook making little progress in economics for that time. Focusing on one particular aspect of the whole problem is fine, these are not easy problems and sometimes you have to take it piece by piece. But there needs to be real progress, to the full extend of the ability to make progress, for people to be happy with the progress. The social progress being made is great for grass roots organisations. But it's not enough for an actual powerful political party.

Honestly, the support of black women dropping is very encouraging. It means even the most loyal demographics are finally seeing that the Democrats aren't doing enough and that they should demand more. Black women getting fed up of the bullshit that is toeing the line and not rocking the boat is awesome. Focus more on making actual changes to address black women's problems? Sure, lets do this. If idpol stops being a totem Democrats use to suppress real change and they're forced to actually come through on their rhetoric then it's all good. Show people what it actually means for a party to act instead of talk. Show people that what's possible is so much larger than the bullshit "pragmatists" have fed them. Show people that demanding and agitating for what you want is a good thing. Then you can also start tackling the other multiple mountains of poo poo that has been needed for decades and never properly addressed. It doesn't matter where you start; black women, working class, LGBT, or 9-12 year old boys with asthma in the South West; extremely quickly, if you're making actual progress at a rate worthy of a major political party, you're going to run out of X-demographic-exclusive issues and also have to tackle fundamental flaws in the system that will help everybody.

IF it's actual and significant progress.

If addressing black women's concerns is going to consist entirely of putting more black women in positions of power and changing the rhetoric to mention them more then that's bullshit and it can gently caress off.

Futuresight posted:

Futuresight posted:

If addressing black women's concerns is going to consist entirely of putting more black women in positions of power and changing the rhetoric

Futuresight posted:

going to consist entirely of

Futuresight posted:

entirely of

Futuresight posted:

entirely of

Futuresight posted:

entirely of

Futuresight posted:

entirely of

Futuresight posted:

entirely of

I mean come on KM. It followed a big paragraph whose entire thesis is we should absolutely focus on black women's issues. Do try to read posts without the express purpose of looking for reasons to get mad.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 24, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Don't be stupid, they're saying that the empty words promising progress aren't good enough. Here's a hot take: leftists would be happy with liberals if they supported action that improved the lives of the average American.

We're not gonna be the Team Player when supposed up-and-coming leftist leaders like Tammy Duckworth start to play the bullshit centrist game of "well advocating for better healthcare isn't practical right now". gently caress off, advocating for better lives for the average american is always loving practical, and if you fight against that you can shove your opinions where the sun don't shine and stop pretending like you're owed some token allegiance because you have the right letter next to your name.

The average Democrat in Congress makes a few weak gestures on social issues to appease their base, but in most ways they are barely better than republicans. The "vote for us because the other guys are worse!" line is getting really loving old, because it has plainly been the primary factor in the party not needing to move with their constituents.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

hanales posted:

I mean, the obvious example would be, Omarosa being in the white house. Is she pushing for policy that benefits black women as a whole, or is she there to feed the ego of trump and give him a "I don't hate black people" card? I know which side my opinion falls on.

Omarosa is a loving coon and doesn't represent the leftists and democratic women he was talking about in his post.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If leftists want to be taken seriously maybe they should stop regurgitating talking points from fascists like Putin and Assad while simultaneously pretending to be super opposed to Nazis. Y'all sound like petulant children who just want to rebel against dad. Fix your own poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Futuresight posted:

I mean come on KM. It followed a big paragraph whose entire thesis is we should absolutely focus on black women's issues. Do try to read posts without the express purpose of looking for reasons to get mad.

Oh yes the racist angry black woman stereotype. Good job.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Koalas March posted:

Oh yes the racist angry black woman stereotype. Good job.

No I'm describing you the individual.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Futuresight posted:

Nah, you're mad I called your post out for being poorly written and retreated to white fragility like every guy who totally means well and isn't racist I swear.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Futuresight posted:

Why is it so difficult to go "sorry I didn't intend to imply that, my apologies" and take the L instead of yelling at the (possibly?) sole POC in the conversation with accusations that they want to stir poo poo up? I'm seriously baffled by how this poo poo happens over and over and over again.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

hanales posted:

Well like anything else, if they hire someone in bad faith setting them up to fail, that isn't any better than not hiring them at all, or alternately intentionally marginalizing them once they have the job so that they can not effect any change over time, again you may as well have not hired the person, as they are now in a no-win situation.

You're not going to see a lot of people jumping at those kind of perceived opportunities. Which is why a lot of systemic change is needed. Policy statements backed up by funding to enact them, actual goals and milestones laid out so people know what is being worked toward, etc...

I do agree with you though, the paths have to be opened in the first place.

this is some milquetoast patronizing. where is all of the handwringing over white people being put into positions out of bad faith, and then marginalizing them? systemic change is needed, but it takes time. we can push for better representation of (super over)qualified minority people in this subpar system we have while also working towards systemic change. and having those surface level changes normalizes minorities in position of power and makes it safer to agitate for real changes.

Futuresight posted:

just because you dont say poo poo like "silly negro, don't get so uppity" doesnt make your response any less demeaning hth

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Taffer posted:

Don't be stupid, they're saying that the empty words promising progress aren't good enough. Here's a hot take: leftists would be happy with liberals if they supported action that improved the lives of the average American.

Apparently not:

steinrokkan posted:

Because they are wrong about everything, and the only way they could ever rectify their political credentials is if they stopped being liberals.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Ikari Worrier posted:

Why is it so difficult to go "sorry I didn't intend to imply that, my apologies" and take the L instead of yelling at the (possibly?) sole POC in the conversation with accusations that they want to stir poo poo up? I'm seriously baffled by how this poo poo happens over and over and over again.

If you want an example of me apologising for something you can look up the thread. And now you can go over the conversation with the knowledge I'm perfectly happy to apologise and maybe that will change your reading of what is going on.

The reason I am not apologising is because this is not something to apologise for. This is KM doing her I've decided to shut you down shtick and she didn't happen to randomly hit something that even gives the cover of reasonable doubt as far as I'm concerned. If KM wants to just decide I don't get to talk unless I bow and scrape before her she can go ahead and use her mod powers. I won't do it for her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

this is some milquetoast patronizing. where is all of the handwringing over white people being put into positions out of bad faith, and then marginalizing them? systemic change is needed, but it takes time. we can push for better representation of (super over)qualified minority people in this subpar system we have while also working towards systemic change. and having those surface level changes normalizes minorities in position of power and makes it safer to agitate for real changes.

I don't know why you're attacking me, when I'm just talking about what actually happens in our current environment. I'm glad you're proving to the thread how much more woke you are than I am I guess.

Tokenism never leads to actual change, it's a suppression and pacification tactic. That's what our current political system is currently best at, and the DNC are masters of.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Futuresight posted:

If you want an example of me apologising for something you can look up the thread. And now you can go over the conversation with the knowledge I'm perfectly happy to apologise and maybe that will change your reading of what is going on.

The reason I am not apologising is because this is not something to apologise for. This is KM doing her I've decided to shut you down shtick and she didn't happen to randomly hit something that even gives the cover of reasonable doubt as far as I'm concerned. If KM wants to just decide I don't get to talk unless I bow and scrape before her she can go ahead and use her mod powers. I won't do it for her.

you are a child

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Futuresight posted:

I see you ignored all the other posters who were wondering/worrying about what you were getting at with your post and also ignored KM herself saying that she was hoping the more charitable explanation was the correct one too in favor of zeroing in on and getting mad at the angry black woman, though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Apparently not:

Yes, because if they supported and advocated for things that improved the lives of average americans, they would no longer be liberals, they would be leftists.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Start making a strong positive impact on voter's lives, or lose the white ones to fascists and the minority ones to apathy. It's really that simple.

This is pretty much the only thing that matters. The only reason there is a fight over Medicare and ACA is because hey, there are some real repercussions for taking these away (even for the right). This is the only way for the Dems to wedge against the rising tide of racism and nationalism.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Futuresight posted:

Um you only have about a page worth of posts in this thread and I don't see you apologizing to anyone. Also..........you might want to consider why you feel okay apologizing to people who aren't KM but don't want to apologize to KM. Just something about her I guess.........

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Hawkgirl posted:

Um you only have about a page worth of posts in this thread and I don't see you apologizing to anyone. Also..........you might want to consider why you feel okay apologizing to people who aren't KM but don't want to apologize to KM. Just something about her I guess.........

Here you go:

Futuresight posted:

If using dogwhistle in that way is harmful then I didn't know and I'm sorry for that. I used it purely to mean "saying something people who are on your side will understand without explicitly saying it" and I don't know of any other word for it.

The person who brought up what I was apologising for was in fact KM.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
You folks all know that there are like, really racist, sexist and homophobic people who hang out on this site, and that for the most part everyone in this thread agree on the broad strokes of things, and really just want to do better right?

You all spend so much time eating each other I don't know how you have time to breathe, let alone accomplish anything in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

hanales posted:

You folks all know that there are like, really racist, sexist and homophobic people who hang out on this site, and that for the most part everyone in this thread agree on the broad strokes of things, and really just want to do better right?

You all spend so much time eating each other I don't know how you have time to breathe, let alone accomplish anything in real life.

Personally I don't see the problem with helping people realize their own internal biases, we all have imperfections and pretending that they don't exist is kind of part of why America is so hosed up anyway. If we all want to do better, we should really be better about accepting criticism and looking inward.

Futuresight posted:

Here you go:

The person who brought up what I was apologising for was in fact KM.

• Locked thread