Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Why don't horror game developers make their monsters like this??

You have all the power of a computing engine to do insane surreal poo poo, but every single game developer just makes something that could have been accomplished with sculpture or practical effects IRL back in the 70s. Every single videogame monster is just the wolfman or Giger done in CGI. Lovecraftian game developers: instead of hooded cultists, put these dudes into your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Why hasn't there been a game similar to Cabin in the Woods? The closest thing I can think of is Ghost Master, but that was.. <googles> christ, 2003?

Last time it came up somelone linked this early access thing, which looks kind of neat but, you know, early access. I don't know anyone who's jumped on it yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is the only time I've seen something in a video game that's made my skin crawl and made me feel gross. I've become so desensitized to everything that I can handle mutilated bodies, rape whatever edgelord visual imagery is presented but this is legitimately nasty.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

the black husserl posted:

You have all the power of a computing engine to do insane surreal poo poo, but every single game developer just makes something that could have been accomplished with sculpture or practical effects IRL back in the 70s. Every single videogame monster is just the wolfman or Giger done in CGI. Lovecraftian game developers: instead of hooded cultists, put these dudes into your game.

Seconded. I'd see that CGI monstrosity running towards me, I'd just nope the hell out of the city.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Irony.or.Death posted:

Last time it came up somelone linked this early access thing, which looks kind of neat but, you know, early access. I don't know anyone who's jumped on it yet.

That looks pretty bad, honestly. And I'm assuming the makers' first language isn't English, judging by the text I can read.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

the black husserl posted:

Because they want people to actually play the games not recoil in horror

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

That looks pretty bad, honestly. And I'm assuming the makers' first language isn't English, judging by the text I can read.

Yeah, pretty much all the reviews I skimmed through mention the extremely bad translation. But we're talking about horror games here, the bar for quality is set pretty loving low.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Irony.or.Death posted:

It's kind of a mix between a lovely Fallout Shelter and SCP. Maybe they have changed it since launch but I really wasn't impressed by it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Why hasn't there been a game similar to Cabin in the Woods? The closest thing I can think of is Ghost Master, but that was.. <googles> christ, 2003?

I originally though Until Dawn was going to be like that since at one point in the game:

it seemed that there was a equal chance of the threat being either an escaped lunatic slasher, a ghost, a forest monster, or a jigsaw-like psychopath, and I figured that your answers to the psychiatrist's tests about what scared you would determine which you faced. But no, three were just fake outs and it was forest monster all along and none of your choices really mattered that much.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vakal posted:

I originally though Until Dawn was going to be like that since at one point in the game:

it seemed that there was a equal chance of the threat being either an escaped lunatic slasher, a ghost, a forest monster, or a jigsaw-like psychopath, and I figured that your answers to the psychiatrist's tests about what scared you would determine which you faced. But no, three were just fake outs and it was forest monster all along and none of your choices really mattered that much.

I mean, as far as death count they kind of mattered.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It determines how Josh decides to gently caress with you when he's being Pretendy Serial Killer. Like if you say you're scared of knockout gas, that's what he'll be carrying when he chases Hayden Panettiere around

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 24, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Finally, Cheesy 90s FMV meets VR in possibly hilarious ways.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The_Doctor posted:

I would love for a new Ghost Master, that game was awesome.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Because they want people to actually play the games not recoil in horror

These opinions are weird to me, because those MLB glitches just look like lovely glitches to me. If I saw that in-game I'd be on the net searching for bug fixes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gromit posted:

These opinions are weird to me, because those MLB glitches just look like lovely glitches to me. If I saw that in-game I'd be on the net searching for bug fixes.

Really? Because they look loving ridiculous to me and not in a funny way. Like they're legit unsettling.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
yeah i really don't understand how testicle head happens. it doesn't look like misplaced assets or something. its like a bio-generated cancerous cyst

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is the only time I've seen something in a video game that's made my skin crawl and made me feel gross. I've become so desensitized to everything that I can handle mutilated bodies, rape whatever edgelord visual imagery is presented but this is legitimately nasty.

Look up the tooth monster from Candle Cove for more skin-crawling.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chitoryu12 posted:

I took this bait and now I think I need some goddamn context for what I just saw. I don't know what Candle Cove is. You got some 'splaining to do, mister.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
/\ from the TV series called "Channel Zero".

Xenomrph posted:

Really? Because they look loving ridiculous to me and not in a funny way. Like they're legit unsettling.

Yeah, they just look ridiculous to me in a funny way. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything unsettling. I mean, there's stuff that is just disgusting on a base level like real people with horrible medical conditions that I can't look at, but out-and-out impossible body horror is just fascinating.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Xenomrph posted:

I took this bait and now I think I need some goddamn context for what I just saw. I don't know what Candle Cove is. You got some 'splaining to do, mister.
It's a creepy pasta, like Slender Man. Someone made a loose form short story about this creepy show they saw as a kid and it went from there. The premise was loosely adapted for tv: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Zero_(TV_series) and it actually wasn't too bad. Quite entertaining to see how they could stretch a couple of spooky fan ideas and paragraphs into a series.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

This looks neat. There's never enough FMV games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chitoryu12 posted:

Well poo poo, I just added this series onto my Amazon account watchlist because I like the Candle Cove creepypasta. Should be tons of fun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how much you can make a game break itself to be unnerving before its either just goofy early 90s 3D models flying over the place or just going to make the program crash to desktop. Because you could probably get something out of Stealing directly from The Forbidden Room and trying out their artificial decay effects. See if you could make an FMV actually scary by presenting it as some lost or fractured vision.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I saw It and was kind of impressed by the CGI. I think someone in the staff understood that CGI, especially with monsters can look super bad so they play around uncanny valley stuff like superimposing the clown's face on his own body giving you weird scenes where the camera is askew but his head is perfectly straight. I can't really think of a video game example because devs typically try to make their art deliberate and don't try to make things intentionally ugly. Closest example I can think of is Metal Gear Solid's ninja stealth effects were a rendering error but Kojima liked it so much they built the visuals around it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The fog layer in Silent Hill 2 was built off of a particular quirk of the PS2's architecture, which is why all subsequent ports and remasters have failed to quite match the same oppressive feeling as the original.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Pennywise dancing scene in the new It movie is also a pretty good example of doing Uncanny Valley with some simple tricks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8SldTN1KmY

Nobody's head should be that still when dancing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is there not a thread up for The Evil Within 2, or have I just managed to miss it? It's probably the game I'm most looking forward to this season, since I absolutely adored the first game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

exquisite tea posted:

The fog layer in Silent Hill 2 was built off of a particular quirk of the PS2's architecture, which is why all subsequent ports and remasters have failed to quite match the same oppressive feeling as the original.

The later one also missed the idea that the fog was creepy because it was obscuring. Tinting the whole screen grey isn't the same thing.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I really liked the faces in the Siren games.

Well... See ya!

No, joking aside I thought it was a really good effect. Especially for an older game. But it was also real odd and off. They should do that more.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 25, 2017

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I wonder how much you can make a game break itself to be unnerving before its either just goofy early 90s 3D models flying over the place or just going to make the program crash to desktop. Because you could probably get something out of Stealing directly from The Forbidden Room and trying out their artificial decay effects. See if you could make an FMV actually scary by presenting it as some lost or fractured vision.
I imagine it's harder to pull off than most people think. I mean, finding a neat effect through a bug is all well and good, but you have to dig down in the code and to find it and figure out how to replicate it consistently without it having a adverse knock-on effect on other parts of the game. Kitty Horrorshow did a pretty good job of it with Anatomy; starting with a normal 3D house interior that looks like something from from 1997 or so, each time you run the game adds more graphical bugs like flickering textures, replicated textures, objects embedded in the walls. Simple stuff, but effective for what the game is doing.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
For fans of visual novels, "The Letter" seems interesting.

The main characters and the antagonist are a little "trope-y" and theres quite a few translation errors, but the graphics and voice acting are top notch and there's an almost complete playthrough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6YVyzvLito) by SomethingAwful favorite Youtuber John Wolfe (formerly HarshlyCritical). He's hosting most of it on his secondary channel as long "Let's Play" video series don't perform as well as his usual videos and Youtube's algorithm is really hostile to these kinds of "dip" in views.

It's a long playthrough (30 hours+) and it's obvious, by the end, that he's getting sick and tired of it but from the begining he says he doesn't usually play those kind of games.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've only played an hour or so of The Letter so far, but I've liked it and found the production values way better then what I would expect from a visual novel.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
I don't know if interesting would be the word I'd use, the vast majority of his first playthrough is utterly dull. I only really stuck with it because it was fun hearing John lose his poo poo with how the characters would spend 20 minutes talking about nothing.

It seems a big problem with the game is that the interesting things only really happen if you do the 'true' path which he inadvertently avoids by trying to keep everyone alive.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
it's pretty cool after the "nice" playthrough to see how badly the game derails into a shitstorm when you try to get people killed and mess with their relationships.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ferrous posted:

I only really stuck with it because it was fun hearing John lose his poo poo with how the characters would spend 20 minutes talking about nothing.

:same:

That game felt like it pulls a pretty big bait and switch on presenting itself as a horror game.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

:same:

That game felt like it pulls a pretty big bait and switch on presenting itself as a horror game.

Honestly, it wasn't a great game but the horror elements are there if you play the game in a different way that Wolfe did. If you kill characters, it changes a lot of the mood and tension of the whole thing and would definitely classify as horror novel. Good or bad horror novel would be a different discussion though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The baffling thing I heard about The Letter is that apparently one of the major characters was designed by a backer. It's terrible enough when it's a minor character. At least it wasn't a furry character lol.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The baffling thing I heard about The Letter is that apparently one of the major characters was designed by a backer. It's terrible enough when it's a minor character. At least it wasn't a furry character lol.

Holy poo poo I didn't know that, it was Marianne apparently who yeah is pretty much there constantly. :psyduck:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

So, how's Echo for a horror game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Skyscraper posted:

So, how's Echo for a horror game?

It's more unsettling than horror. It's definitely an interesting experience, though.