Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Benny Harvey posted:

There's no way of cutting him out of my life without losing my circle of friends though. Beyond that, I'm a petty person who doesn't want to leave as a loser.

watch The D-Train with Jack Black, this will solve any conceivable problem

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
:(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Benny Harvey posted:

There's no way of cutting him out of my life without losing my circle of friends though. Beyond that, I'm a petty person who doesn't want to leave as a loser.

E: also as much as I believe I deserve a modicum of respect, that doesn't stop others from disrespecting me. Even people who I don't think are trying to be disrespectful to me have got weirded out by my lack of experience (even though I downplay it, eg. saying that I hadn't had a relationship in the past five years even though the truth at the time was never) or even get somehow offended by me- once I was in a bar and a girl I was with told me bluntly to talk to some girls who had just walked in. I stood there frozen so she rolled her eyes, huffed and stropped off.

Your circle sounds really lovely and judgmental though. Make some new friends!

And yeah I know that's easier said than done, but part of the reason people keep saying "get a hobby" is because you will almost certainly encounter new people through it.

E: And you don't have to make a huge production out of breaking ties with these people. Just say "No, I can't" whenever they ask you out with them. You don't even need to give them a reason - keep saying something along the line of "I just can't make it." (Making up a scheduling conflict will probably backfire unless you're willing to commit - don't say you're going to be at the nursing home reading to old people unless you're actually willing to read to old people at the nursing home.) Eventually they'll stop asking.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 24, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Sooo... Rape? Who here is willing to be the friend he needs that won't judge but accidentally copy/pastes the pm to his local police?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

And yeah I know that's easier said than done, but part of the reason people keep saying "get a hobby" is because you will almost certainly encounter new people through it.

E: And you don't have to make a huge production out of breaking ties with these people. Just say "No, I can't" whenever they ask you out with them. You don't even need to give them a reason - keep saying something along the line of "I just can't make it." (Making up a scheduling conflict will probably backfire unless you're willing to commit - don't say you're going to be at the nursing home reading to old people unless you're actually willing to read to old people at the nursing home.) Eventually they'll stop asking.

Sometimes having no friends is better than having lovely friends.

Also yeah, you can usually just ghost if needed, particularly if your job needs you to be effectively on call.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the worst friends a person can have are people who are failures who feel threatened when someone else succeeds

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The worst friends a person can have are people who will harvest your organs and leave you for dead

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
friends are cope

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

The worst friends a person can have are people who will harvest your organs and leave you for dead

no because then you're just dead instead of a second whiny loser remembered for your crapnitude

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny Harvey, has it been quite a few years since you gained new friends or shifted social circles? You're in your 30s, are these people you've known since HS/college age? It's actually healthy to shift friend groups now and then, as you change as a person and realize that whole groups is dumbasses (except for Jake and Cassie, they're chill, you can just keep doing stuff with them and ignore the rest). Purposefully not shifting away from buttheads for fear of what the buttheads will think is understandable, but unhealthy.

Also um. There's a difference between societal pressures and someone literally forcing you to do something. Maybe think on that a little, I dunno.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hey Benny all your friends are assholes and their dumbass view of relationships is not actually the societal default. Also they're actively making you miserable with this bullshit, to the point that you're talking about it all the time with people who are making fun of you for the dumbass view your friends are pushing onto you. What are you looking for? A reality check? Because reality check, if all your friends ditch you because you won't put up with them actively damaging you, then they were friends that were, well, actively loving up your head in a really harmful way.

Don't worry about finding a girlfriend, you don't need one and it sounds like you don't really want one right now and that's fine. But I can tell you that if you don't cut these dudes out of your life, you're not going to get any happier no matter what else you do. They're emotional leeches.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

the worst friends a person can have are people who are failures who feel threatened when someone else succeeds

I'm actually a very good friend thank you.

--

"Women can pick up on your negative energy. That's why women aren't attracted to you"

No they picked up on my subhuman face you loving moron.

Where did those negative energy detectors go when all those women hooked up with Ted Bundy?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PetraCore posted:

Hey Benny all your friends are assholes

so is he, it checks out

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean Ted Bundy actually had very positive energy, in that he was charismatic and actively putting in the effort to hold good conversations with people and be charming and interested. The world would be a better place if he'd just gone online and never left his house, but the thing these incels don't seem to get is that it's not just about physical attraction, and the more successful predators work at being attractive in other ways and seeming interested and engaged in other people to better get away with stuff.

It's probably a good thing some of those people don't understand that, from a future harm capacity, but it's not like Ted Bundy or Charles Manson were just pretty faces.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Bundy's the worst possible example because several women refused to go off with him specifically because of the vibe he gave off. If it were just about his looks a lot more women would be dead.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

Incel makes important discovery: the mall is full of teenagers!!

stdh

Where is this magical mall that somehow is still filled with people?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Incel posted:

The importance of hunter eyes

drat, the Chad water buffalo is hottt.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Benny Harvey posted:

E: also as much as I believe I deserve a modicum of respect, that doesn't stop others from disrespecting me

grow a spine you human doormat

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Palpek posted:

Chad antelope looking like a creeper incel though.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Wanna pet that prey wolf

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Palpek posted:

I'm diggin' the Tyrantelope (?) next to the lion with the fantastic eyeshadow

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

The doe-eyed predator animals are so kawaii~ :3

Incels don't know jack.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The stereotype of Chad that these incels have is basically me, but then I held a door open for a woman and she didn't suck my dick in the bathroom so I guess I'm just a normie

Recommend some copes

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

David Heinrich posted:

The stereotype of Chad that these incels have is basically me, but then I held a door open for a woman and she didn't suck my dick in the bathroom so I guess I'm just a normie

Recommend some copes

do you look like your av? message me bby

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

David Heinrich posted:

Recommend some copes

Enjoying literally any aspect of life.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a medical name for the kind of dysmorphia where you look in the mirror and see yourself looking like the elephant man?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hunter eyes, huh...

So sexy oh my god

Also, that wolf looks like a very good boy.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Cantaloupe posted:

do you look like your av? message me bby

Unironically yes, but with black hair.

ranbo das posted:

Enjoying literally any aspect of life.

IT'S OVER

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Bundy's the worst possible example because several women refused to go off with him specifically because of the vibe he gave off. If it were just about his looks a lot more women would be dead.

Yeah, actually a lot of these guys had a history of creeping women out (and so they didn't go out with these guys, which turned out to be completely justified from a safety standpoint wooow)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

chumbler posted:

Also, Benny, nobody gives a poo poo if you're in your 30s and not in a relationship, and if they do then they are at best tactless. Nobody outside of like immediate family has the time or energy to care about other people's relationships and personal lives.

Seriously, this. You don't need an "excuse" to have not ever had a relationship, nobody that's worth your time will give that much of a poo poo. When my friends used to ask me, in my mid-20's, why I hadn't had a girlfriend yet, I'd just shrug and say "I dunno, just hasn't happened yet" and they didn't probe any further because they're not garbage human beings.

You're not "broken" or "weird" just for not having had a girlfriend, or even being a virgin, into your 20's or even 30's. You might be a virgin or perma-single because you're broken or weird, but it doesn't work the other way.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Fair enough but this behaviour isn't confined to my circle of friends. I'm not confident of finding a group of friends who would accept me and let's be honest, "I'm happy being single while I lose weight because I'm fussy about looks" is not a socially acceptable thing to say.

hackbunny posted:

grow a spine you human doormat

I have one but exercising it would leave me friendless and jobless.

PeteaCore, i dont know what my friends' (and others) views on relationships are beyond that it's hosed up whenever Im not in one.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Benny Harvey posted:

"I'm happy being single while I lose weight because I'm fussy about looks" is not a socially acceptable thing to say.

it's not? seems fine to me

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Benny Harvey posted:

Fair enough but this behaviour isn't confined to my circle of friends. I'm not confident of finding a group of friends who would accept me and let's be honest, "I'm happy being single while I lose weight because I'm fussy about looks" is not a socially acceptable thing to say.

I have one but exercising it would leave me friendless and jobless.

PeteaCore, i dont know what my friends' (and others) views on relationships are beyond that it's hosed up whenever Im not in one.

You need to jump into that portal out of bizarro world and back into this one, because "I'm fine with being single while I work on X thing I want to do" is generally accepted and looked on positively.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

chumbler posted:

You need to jump into that portal out of bizarro world and back into this one, because "I'm fine with being single while I work on X thing I want to do" is generally accepted and looked on positively.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

It is an entirely acceptable thing to say

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
your problem is you live in the UK, a country comprised entirely of bitter sadsacks with aggravating cultural mannerisms and way too little shame in their imperialistic history, and who just voted away their ability to easily go to actually good parts of europe. maybe work on that situation? idk

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Depends on how you frame it.

"I may be a sad fat sack of poo poo right now but I intend to get in shape and therefore you don't meet my standards" is something best left unsaid. "I'm working on myself right now and don't want to get involved with anyone" is fine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

your problem is you live in the UK, a country comprised entirely of bitter sadsacks with aggravating cultural mannerisms and way too little shame in their imperialistic history, and who just voted away their ability to easily go to actually good parts of europe. maybe work on that situation? idk

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not nice to say "I only want a dime so I'm getting in shape first so I deserve one," which I think is where you're running into issues, but it's totally fine to say "I really wanna focus on self-improvement right now." Just leave off the part about what a hottie you require.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Right, well I'm actually Scottish, so the whole jingoistic pride in the empire doesn't apply. I also lived in Germany for 5 years (if that country feels enough shame in their history for your liking) and the social pressure there were worse if anything.

As for voting away our ability to go to other parts of Europe (we didn't), I have a second EU passport.

What do you mean by aggravating cultural mannerisms and where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Although I do agree that it sucks living somewhere full of jaded pricks where it pisses rain 300 days of the year.

E: I've also tried saying I'm too busy with myself for a relationship but people don't believe me.

Benny Harvey fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 25, 2017

• Locked thread