Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So i've been out of the gear market for a while. Need new gloves. Should I use this opportunity to get some heated ones? Are there heated ones that can still be used year round? It doesn't get too cold here, but I enjoy being toasty. I prefer a gauntlet style.

I had these, which I loved.

Looks like Dainese doesnt make them anymore. Paid about $110. All the other gloves they have seem to be $250+ or non-gauntlet, at least on revzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I stopped doing earbuds because I figure plugs without anything are better for my hearing. All of the plug style earphones seem to perform similarly. I had some expensive etymotics that had the most insanely tangly cords.

It's also nice because it's one less thing to gently caress with whenever you're getting on or off the bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Uh, you guys know you can route the ear bud wire above and behind your ear right? I've never had problems with them getting pulled out of position when putting my helmet on. There is also less noise transmitted by movement of the wire since it doesn't tug/vibrate towards the speaker element itself. Look up shure e315 buds if you can't visualize it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

dumb. posted:

How the hell are you guys keeping the buds in your ears when you put your helmet on?

It heavily depends on the buds and the helmet. Some just won't go together because of where the padding is; buds were fine with my LS2, but no amount of stretching would get them into my Shoei without them getting pulled out of my ears. Avoiding the hassle of getting them in every time I remove/replace my helmet was the primary reason I bought an intercom.

Sagebrush posted:

I can't listen to music when I ride because I tend to start blapping the throttle in time with the music and ripping it wide open when the beat drops

I have to listen to something steady and stable like retrowave or dark synth if I want to ride responsibly and keep actively scanning my surroundings for hazards.

Nothing at all is the worst thing I can listen to, because then my brain gets bored and starts talking at me about random poo poo, and that's when my crash risk from distraction goes through the roof.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I can't listen to music when I ride because I tend to start blapping the throttle in time with the music and ripping it wide open when the beat drops

This is partially the reason I always ride with music. Speakers over buds, buds aren't comfortable after a few hours IMO.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man, maybe someday a company will make earbuds that are comfortable for all day riding, don't harm your hearing because they make great earplugs, have a wire that goes over the ear, don't ever need repositioning, and had great sound quality.

Maybe they could cost under $100.

That would be cool, wouldn't it?

If a company made that.

Wouldn't it?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
If we're going pipe dreams:
Separate analog volume slider and digital volume buttons. 5 pole mini jack to support Sony ear bud noise cancel.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

tjones posted:

This is partially the reason I always ride with music. Speakers over buds, buds aren't comfortable after a few hours IMO.

I listen to NPR podcasts while I ride from Starbucks to Starbucks. Nothing goes with safe, considerate motorcycling better than Terry Gross and pumpkin spice lattes.

Honestly I think anyone who's listened to music while driving or riding has found their speed varying along with the tempo. Cruise control or a throttle lock can help, but so does pretending you're the one armed drummer from Def Leppard and only keeping time with your toes or left hand tapping on the pegs/bars.

Good earbuds will 100% always give you better sound quality and isolation than helmet speakers and ear plugs, but the latter wins out on convenience (and probably hearing protection) in most cases. Positioning speakers as close to your ear as the helmet will allow can make a drastic difference in their perceived sound quality and volume.

For most riding I stick with a set of -26dB peak Earasers earplugs and helmet speakers attached to my comm unit, but if it's a long trip that will involve slab I disconnect the helmet speakers and plug in my Shures.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Coydog posted:

Man, maybe someday a company will make earbuds that are comfortable for all day riding, don't harm your hearing because they make great earplugs, have a wire that goes over the ear, don't ever need repositioning, and had great sound quality.

Maybe they could cost under $100.

That would be cool, wouldn't it?

If a company made that.

Wouldn't it?

My etymotics are all this except for over-ear :shrug:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My battery is deader than dead. Just turning the ignition to ON immediately after taking it off the charger drops the voltage to 0 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981ag3kzOmA

I think the culprit is the headlight modulator the PO put in. I parked it with the brights on (the modulator) and I suspect it draws some current even off - does that sound reasonable? Maybe this will motivate me to remove it, especially since I need to pull the fairings off to do a valve check anyway.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Dutymode posted:

My battery is deader than dead. Just turning the ignition to ON immediately after taking it off the charger drops the voltage to 0 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981ag3kzOmA

I think the culprit is the headlight modulator the PO put in. I parked it with the brights on (the modulator) and I suspect it draws some current even off - does that sound reasonable? Maybe this will motivate me to remove it, especially since I need to pull the fairings off to do a valve check anyway.

Unless there's no relay in the headlight modulator the PO installed or he/she somehow royally hosed up the wiring it shouldn't be pulling current when the ignition is off

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

My etymotics are all this except for over-ear :shrug:

Etymotic supremacy. I haven't used my sena once since I bought them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Good earbuds will 100% always give you better sound quality and isolation than helmet speakers and ear plugs

This just isn't true, at least not for enough people to make that kind of blanket statement. I've used tons of different kinds of earbuds and earplugs over at least 25 years, and there is no earbud I've ever found that isolates like any decent plug, nor any firsthand accounts I've read. Even higher quality buds with the memory foam or earplug material tips are only marginally better than a pair of low-quality plugs. I'm sure you can achieve a 32db NRR with custom molded earbuds, but not at an everyday consumer price point, and certainly not for any given pair of ears.

I'll concede sound quality though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm very confused by all the people not using their nice earbuds with their Senas.

I use etymotic kids cause they're small, cheap, and if I ruin a set I don't care. Plugged directly into SENA.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

dude how are any of you that use speakers not deaf by now? Goodness. Seeing people on thumpers with loving bluetooth speakers cranked to full volume using a lovely dualsport-esque helmet :stonk: my ears ring just watching

I get some helmets filter wind noise really well, but still, any sort of non-enclosed system of listening to music just sounds like a recipe for hearing damage

tjones
May 13, 2005
You can listen to music without issue with speakers while wearing ear plugs. Are you assuming everyone using speakers are also not wearing plugs?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah i dont understand what you guys think is going on with bluetooth speakers in the helmet. you put earplugs in and the wind noise goes away and you can hear the music perfectly clear as well as traffic

ive used disposables and never had a problem

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I was assuming they weren't wearing earplugs, yes. Can't say many of the ones I see do that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I was assuming they weren't wearing earplugs, yes. Can't say many of the ones I see do that.

I think literally every post mentioning helmet speakers in this discussion also mentioned earplugs

yes, confirmed, everybody talking about their speakers has specified earplugs

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a pretty cool dude where I live who just has really loud car speakers on his fat pig of a HD and he blares really lovely rap music through the downtown shopping area while you can hear all his chrome bits vibrate to pieces from the unwavering bass note present in all his songs. The best part is that his hog is too fat to split lanes so everyone is forced to enjoy his sounds for even longer.

I know hes not wearing any ear protection because I can see his ears clearly as is constantly swiveling his head to see if anyone is looking at him

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 25, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fauxtool posted:

There is a pretty cool dude where I live who just has really loud car speakers on his fat pig of a HD and he blares really lovely rap music through the downtown shopping area

Not country or classic rock? Mind blown.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I once saw a dude on a dresser watching a loud rap video on an LCD screen on his dash.

It was awesome.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hope that dresser was secured to the wall.

e/ actual question:

Where do y'all Honda CBRRRRRRR bros get your Honda parts online? Is there a go-to dealer with good pricing and an online order form?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 25, 2017

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I hope that dresser was secured to the wall.

e/ actual question:

Where do y'all Honda CBRRRRRRR bros get your Honda parts online? Is there a go-to dealer with good pricing and an online order form?
I ordered a few parts for my seat latch from http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/ and had no issues.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Any good guides/videos on changing dirtbike tires?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
When I tried on the DRZ the key seems to be keeping the tire bead for the opposite side of the tire in the middle of the wheel while you spoon it on/off. If you have to try too hard the tire's probably not in the best spot. Also I needed spare tubes becuase despite my best efforts I still pinched one the first try.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 26, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Studying for twenty years on a Himalayan mountain top won't make them even a tiny bit less cunty. Only the truly brain damaged enjoy changing dirt bike tyres.

Use a lot of lube, always have spare tubes, get the longest levers you can buy and get about four of the bastards. A simple tyre changing stand helps a lot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't like using long tire irons on dirtbike tires cause you almost always pinch the tube when you overinsert the lever and the longer irons make that easier. Besides that, two spare HD tubes of the appropriate size placed close to the tire are critical to warding off the bad spirits.

Besides that, usual rules apply, lever over a small amount of tire at a time, keep it in the drop center. Rimlocks are a pain in the rear end too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It depends on the lever shape too, the ones that have a hooked tip that narrows to a point are much better than the ones that just have a crowbar-style bent paddle tip so there's minimum exposure to pinching.

For me rimlocks aren't the problem so much as getting them to play ball with the rubber band thingies that protect the tube from the spokes. I've also had a couple of positive experiences with those things that are like a tiny narrow tube you inflate to 100psi to seal the 'bead' and turn the tyre into a defacto tubeless. I can't remember what they're called, and I've never used them myself, but people rave about them because it lets you run like 6psi without any fear of unseating the tyre.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are talking about Tubliss

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
How stupid of a bike is a Guzzi Stelvio? The massive fuel tank, factory hard bags, ABS and cheap prices are making me look at craigslist a lot.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

They have an 8 something gallon tank don't they? Man, that'd be sweet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skier posted:

How stupid of a bike is a Guzzi Stelvio? The massive fuel tank, factory hard bags, ABS and cheap prices are making me look at craigslist a lot.

Simple tractor motor, easy to work on, Italian electrics, not many dealers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skier posted:

Really, really stupid if you care about practical stuff which I'm assuming you do because of the list of sensible features included in your question.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skier posted:

Guzzi quality drastically improved around 2013 (when Piaggio finally got around to restructuring them) but it's different between models so look around the owners forums to work out which are the years to avoid. They're still by far the most Italian of the Piaggio marques though, and even their most ardent fanboys say you probably shouldn't rely on one as your only form of transport.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Piaggio is the most italian of italian brands so there's like a series of QC pitfall nesting dolls there.

But who cares. Bikes are fun, any bike beats a car, they're intrinsically fun even when they're lovely (sometimes especially!). Sincerely, buy whatever. The thing to be careful of here is you used the word 'budget'. That budget needs to include it loving out randomly and paying someone to work out what's wrong if you're unable/unwilling to fix it yourself, servicing/parts costs etc. If your budget is on the lower end of what's possible with that brand/model, pick the next coolest looking bike and go from there. Luckily there's a vast and varied range of motorcycles feverishly dreamt up by men in white coats determined to get your money, and an internet of people to tell you not to buy any of them!

$0.02

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Piaggio is the most italian of italian brands so there's like a series of QC pitfall nesting dolls there.

You say this in a world where MV Agusta sprag clutches and Lambretta front wheel bearings exist?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Bring it over and we could make one.
No homo.

Edit: serious answer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QyRKQ97Bg0

M42
Nov 12, 2012

extremely homo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You say this in a world where MV Agusta sprag clutches and Lambretta front wheel bearings exist?

I'll confess I've never seen a lambretta, but the three most common here are ducati, Piaggio group and MV. MV suck rear end, but there's only a few out there and they're all owned by wealthy idiots and drug dealers without exception so I don't care about them.

I know a guy who...distributes recreational stimulants...and his daily beater is an F4. It looks pretty much like you would imagine it to (even has home made carbon fiber fairings that also look just like you'd imagine them to) and I explicitly refused to work on it.

OTOH Vespas and Aprilias are loving everywhere and constantly broken from dumb stupid poo poo.

Ducati are just ordinary levels of mediocre and there's no real reason not to buy one.