Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

rabidsquid posted:

getting the call wrong initially so that the game ended was the right call, correct

Yea. I wasn't a fan of the refs today. Missed opi on Julio in the end zone. Lang targeting Crawford's helmet stick out to me.

Tbf it did look like a TD upon real-time view didn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

"Didn't deserve to win" is the dumbest loving poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The way it works:

When the clock is running it takes a minimum of ~11s to run another play. The refs have to spot the ball, then get back into position then whistle for play to resume. This was a thing with Chip Kelly, because on non-hurry up plays, it's like 17 seconds.

If you run a play before the ref gets set, you get flagged. So if you're down with 8s left... the game's over, you can't get another play off.

I guess there's a rule with instant replay to mimic this, where they auto run off 10s if they review to simulate that.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

weird Asian candy posted:

on a game Detroit didn't deserve to win anyway :shrug:

what does this even mean

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Shangri-Law School posted:

"Didn't deserve to win" is the dumbest loving poo poo.

It's true though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

game winning TD in OT right here

if you can't beat the bears in four quarters, you shouldn't be allowed to be in the nfl

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the rules are enforced via meritocracy

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Everyone gets it, we just think its wrong and dumb.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Deserving to win and having the opportunity to win taken away because of a stupid rule are two very different things. The Lions run defense was terrible, but their offense played well and they picked off Matty Ice a couple times and capitalized on those opportunities. They also engineered what could have been a game winning drive but we'll never know because the refs made the wrong call on the field and the Lions got penalized for said wrong call. That's a poo poo way to end a sporting event.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Low Desert Punk posted:

what does this even mean

It means they're not the team that he roots for.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

weird Asian candy posted:

It's true though.

Then the Falcons didn't deserve to win by throwing three picks and letting Detroit drive to the 0.5-yard line.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Kalli posted:

The way it works:

When the clock is running it takes a minimum of ~11s to run another play. The refs have to spot the ball, then get back into position then whistle for play to resume. This was a thing with Chip Kelly, because on non-hurry up plays, it's like 17 seconds.

If you run a play before the ref gets set, you get flagged. So if you're down with 8s left... the game's over, you can't get another play off.

I guess there's a rule with instant replay to mimic this, where they auto run off 10s if they review to simulate that.

This, they were probably not going to get another play off, but they deserved a shot at trying anyways.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe the detroit lions should have scored on the 9 million plays in the redzone they had beforehand

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Then the Falcons didn't deserve to win by throwing three picks and letting Detroit drive to the 0.5-yard line.

This is very true.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Deserving to win and having the opportunity to win taken away because of a stupid rule are two very different things. The Lions run defense was terrible, but their offense played well and they picked off Matty Ice a couple times and capitalized on those opportunities. They also engineered what could have been a game winning drive but we'll never know because the refs made the wrong call on the field and the Lions got penalized for said wrong call. That's a poo poo way to end a sporting event.

Very true. I'm just pissed at the dropped balls and dumb penalties which kept Detroit around long enough to win. I'm not saying Detroit isn't good, they very much are, only that Atlanta played like crap which kept the game much closer than it should have been.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Bill O'Brien should be fired on the plane ride home. At the very least fired before he can ruin Watson.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

so the stupid rule was correctly applied?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

R.D. Mangles posted:

if you can't beat the bears in four quarters, you shouldn't be allowed to be in the nfl

Pretty easy to win when you get away with blatant holds all goddamned day

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

The Falcons have been playing truly pitifully for reigning NFC champions, tbh. I mean they came within a dropped pass of being defeated by the Mike Glennon Bears

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I agree with you. I already said they didn't lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alaois posted:

maybe the detroit lions should have scored on the 9 million plays in the redzone they had beforehand

Why stop there, maybe they should've thrown a TD on every offensive play and gotten a pick 6 on every defensive play.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoughts on eagles : a great lucky win before a tough road game in Los Angeles

The team has an opportunity to gel a bit as guys come back to the defense and Wentz gels with the new wide receivers . 9-7 is a good goal and maybe a playoff game . Will come down to cowboys games mostly .

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I didn't deserve to have to watch Tom Brady celebrate another Super Bowl win let alone the greatest comeback in NFL history and yet here we loving are.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

VJeff posted:

Why stop there, maybe they should've thrown a TD on every offensive play and gotten a pick 6 on every defensive play.

they had so many chances to score and you're crying because they didn't get an extra one they shouldn't have had

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it gel or jell idk.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

VJeff posted:

They would have won in this scenario friend

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Low Desert Punk posted:

The Falcons have been playing truly pitifully for reigning NFC champions, tbh. I mean they came within a dropped pass of being defeated by the Mike Glennon Bears

Did you see the Packers game? This was a road game against a good opponent in the Lions. Matt Ryan had an off game and they still managed to win. Who else in the NFC looks better?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nobody deserves anything except death

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Nobody deserves anything except death

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

euphronius posted:

Thoughts on eagles : a great lucky win before a tough road game in Los Angeles

The team has an opportunity to gel a bit as guys come back to the defense and Wentz gels with the new wide receivers . 9-7 is a good goal and maybe a playoff game . Will come down to cowboys games mostly .
Agree with this. Being 2-0 in the division thus far is huge.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Pretty easy to win when you get away with blatant holds all goddamned day

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Steelers couldn't beat a team that fielded a mediocre backup QB, lol

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jonathan Fisk posted:

so the stupid rule was correctly applied?

Yes. Though I (as a partisan Lions fan) would argue that the ruling on the field should have stood.

And I'll fight you if you show me any video otherwise :colbert:

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
The Eagles are magic

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yes. Though I (as a partisan Lions fan) would argue that the ruling on the field should have stood.

And I'll fight you if you show me any video otherwise :colbert:

Tough loss and i didnt mean to minimize Detroit more than I meant to poo poo on my dumb team.

Y'all got a good team, it was an entertaining and stressful game. Good game Lion goons. Sorry for the poo poo ending.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I guess we've learned which rule will be changed during the offseason.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
BIRDS, BITCH.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
gently caress Corey Moore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
It was the correct call for the TD to be overturned but they need to look at the application of the 10 second runoff in that situation. It's a good rule it was just used in a weird situation today.

• Locked thread