Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Some Stern columnist (?!?!?) on Anne Will just said that Seehofer needs to finally look for a successor, so hopefully at least some careers end over this. His successor is going to be Karl-Theodor zu the loving Guttenberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

poty posted:

Schulz looks pretty silly calling himself "the left" and taking for granted that the parties will be able to figure out a Jamaica government to reflect attacks about refusing another GroKo

Also, holy crap the SPD was 4th in Ost-Deutschland

6.9% für die Linke ?

Nett

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Özdemir just went for the Nazikeule in order to guilt-trip the SPD into considering continuing the Groko, lol. No one wants to govern, everything that Merkel touches dies

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Smirr posted:

Some Stern columnist (?!?!?) on Anne Will just said that Seehofer needs to finally look for a successor, so hopefully at least some careers end over this. His successor is going to be Karl-Theodor zu the loving Guttenberg

Horst "Heil Hitler I guess if that's what the voter wants" Seehofer is the worst thing in the current political landscape and one of the major reasons why the afd got as many votes as they did. I'll take Gutenberg, hell even Söder, if that means he's gone, and I don't even live in Bavaria.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sheep-dodger posted:

The spd doing this badly goes back beyond just this election campaign, this was the slow but inevitable result of them pushing their lovely centrist neoliberalism, abandoning people until they vote afd.
It's been happening in every western country.

Well, particularly when the CDU isn't actually a conservative party in the sense of the UK or US (or France, though I don't know as much about them), and is also perfectly willing to move to the center-left to snatch their voters up. You can do that in the UK/US when the alternative is insane, howling fascism, you can't really do it in Germany (or Japan, cf the LDP)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Now Kubicki is also melting down at Schwesig hahaha

And she just called him out. "Man kriegt den Eindruck, Ihnen geht der Hintern auf Grundeis, dass Sie tatsächlich regieren könnten" lmao

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's interesting how the Anglophone middlebrow press interpreting this as a triumph for the liberal center. Here are some takes from the last 12 hours

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/9/24/16356006/angela-merkel-german-elections-afd-far-right

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/09/the-enduring-appeal-of-angela-merkel/540900

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Smirr posted:

Now Kubicki is also melting down at Schwesig hahaha

And she just called him out. "Man kriegt den Eindruck, Ihnen geht der Hintern auf Grundeis, dass Sie tatsächlich regieren könnten" lmao

Fickend episch

icantfindaname posted:

It's interesting how the Anglophone middlebrow press interpreting this as a triumph for the liberal center. Here are some takes from the last 12 hours

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/9/24/16356006/angela-merkel-german-elections-afd-far-right

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/09/the-enduring-appeal-of-angela-merkel/540900

Afd is still less fascist than mainstream US Republicans so they're just confused about what constitutes a normal political spectrum

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Well, particularly when the CDU isn't actually a conservative party in the sense of the UK or US
Other than fighting the EU to help their fraudulent car firms, the moral panic about Killerspiele and so on, constant financial crimes, internal party split on gay marriage, support for more white Christian schools usw. usw. usw.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

icantfindaname posted:

I mean isn't the political result that the liberal center will remain in power for another five years? That's not necessarily an unreasonable interpretation, fascists entering parliament notwithstanding.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Other than fighting the EU to help their fraudulent car firms, the moral panic about Killerspiele and so on, constant financial crimes, internal party split on gay marriage, support for more white Christian schools usw. usw. usw.

That sounds just about what Clinton Democrats or Tony Blair's Labour would be all about

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean isn't the political result that the liberal center will remain in power for another five years? That's not necessarily an unreasonable interpretation, fascists entering parliament notwithstanding.

Seems like it's pretty embarrassing for Merkel, and possibly a death blow to the SPD? She's not sure how she's actually going to continue as chancellor because she's not sure what coalition will vote for her?

If the liberal center is doing this badly in it's heavily fortified citadel of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland, that seems bad

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

icantfindaname posted:

Seems like it's pretty embarrassing for Merkel, and possibly a death blow to the SPD? She's not sure how she's actually going to continue as chancellor because she's not sure what coalition will vote for her?

If the liberal center is doing this badly in it's heavily fortified citadel of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland, that seems bad

Coalition building after a german election always takes a while. She'll be the chancellor at the end. I know you see every political event through the lens of wanting to murder the liberals for being insufficiently woke but it's leading you astray here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

That sounds just about what Clinton Democrats or Tony Blair's Labour would be all about
I can't speak for the Clinton Democrats but Labour is quite different when it comes to that kind of "traditional" crap the CDU loves.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

The New York Times agrees, this is bad for Merkel.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ist der Osten mittlerweile nur von botany-Klonen bevölkert oder was? :psyduck:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Advanced stats are coming in. Feel free to debate and discuss who the real racists are

I'm mostly posting to get rid of the weird phantom post that the forum tells me Randler made 15 minutes ago

edit: welp, there it is

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gibt es das aufgeteilt nach CDU und CSU?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Doesn't look like that to me, but they didn't specify.

e: oh die Frage war, ob es das GIBT, nicht ob das schon aufgeteilt IST. Kein Plan

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 24, 2017

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Libluini posted:

Oh gently caress. I honestly did not notice this. The article starts with 2017, after all! Sorry about this, I guess I was a bit too excited.

Now the results of the Wahlkreise are slowly coming in. Here is a somewhat good overview map

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bundestagswahl-2017-alle-ergebnisse-im-ueberblick-a-1167247.html

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Zumindest in der Runde direkt nach den Wahlergebnissen hieß es das die CSU "stark" an die AfD in Bayern verloren hat. Wie stark wird sich zeigen sobald die Statistiken für die Bundesländer kommen.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Advanced stats: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/demografie-so-hat-deutschland-gewaehlt-1.3681427

quote:

Männer, Arbeiter und Menschen mittleren Alters haben überdurchschnittlich oft AfD gewählt.

If you look at that 20% of Arbeiter voted AfD, more than in any other group by about half - they seem to get like 12 among Selbständige and Angestellte and 10 among Beamte. So apparently they're an Arbeiterpartei after all??

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 24, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

aphid_licker posted:

Advanced stats: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/demografie-so-hat-deutschland-gewaehlt-1.3681427

If you look at that 20% of Arbeiter voted AfD, more than in any other group by about half - they seem to get like 12 among Selbständige and Angestellte and 10 among Beamte. So apparently they're an Arbeiterpartei after all??

A national Arbeiterpartei. Which might even falsely claim to be in some way social.

Smirr posted:

Özdemir just went for the Nazikeule in order to guilt-trip the SPD into considering continuing the Groko, lol. No one wants to govern, everything that Merkel touches dies

Minderheitsregierung :unsmigghh:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Check out the map at the bottom of this article, particularly Saxony.

http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2017-09/wahlverhalten-bundestagswahl-wahlbeteiligung-waehlerwanderung#/wk297-p200-firstVote

Next Landtagswahl is in 2019, that might be horrible.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/termine.htm

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

Check out the map at the bottom of this article, particularly Saxony.

http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2017-09/wahlverhalten-bundestagswahl-wahlbeteiligung-waehlerwanderung#/wk297-p200-firstVote

Next Landtagswahl is in 2019, that might be horrible.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/termine.htm
Können wir Sachsen vielleicht an irgendwen verkaufen? So wie damals Russland mit Alaska. Nur fix, nur fix.

Randler posted:

Ist der Osten mittlerweile nur von botany-Klonen bevölkert oder was? :psyduck:
Glaube nicht, dass du hier den Threadkonsens reflektierst.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Holy poo poo in the Sachsen-CDU some heads have got to be rolling after tonight. Some direct seats seem to be going to the AfD in places where the CDU candidate used to get a majority without even trying. It has taken a long time but completely ignoring any signs of an existing radical rightwing underground and huge problem of existing xenophobia ever since the reunification is finallly coming to bite them in the rear end.
Even if more than half of the AfD votes are Protestwähler it is a loving disgrace that these kind of people became to be treated as a political entity and the CDU in Sachsen has been bitten by the wolf they nurtured themselves. Hopefully they will get their poo poo together now gently caress this poo poo.

No idea if similar things apply in the other parts of East Germany though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Saxony seems to have below average unemployment for Eastern Germany so it's not that.

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/36651/umfrage/arbeitslosenquote-in-deutschland-nach-bundeslaendern/

They seem to just have decided that they wanna be racist as all hell, that's scary as gently caress.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

Glaube nicht, dass du hier den Threadkonsens reflektierst.

Gibt's momentan keine #MAGA-Demos, dass Du jetzt wieder in deutschen Landen apologieren musst?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So I'm guessing AfD has no idea how to do any governing, but that's probably part of the point

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

aphid_licker posted:

Saxony ... seem to just have decided that they wanna be racist as all hell, that's scary as gently caress.

That is not a sudden development, there is a big section of the population with somewhat racist/nationalist views due to a number of factors. So being rightwing is more acceptable in Saxony than it should and that combined with everyone wanting to send a big gently caress you to the government results in a massive win for AfD. Why couldn't all the Protestwähler vote Linke instead :(

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lightning Lord posted:

So I'm guessing AfD has no idea how to do any governing, but that's probably part of the point

They don't need it because they won't be doing any

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Sereri posted:

They don't need it because they won't be doing any

Excuse me?! I mean, 13% of those who voted gave them their vote, which is almost 20%, which is almost a fourth, which is almost a third, which is almost half, which is basically a majority, so they are going to clean up in parliament and talk about all those taboo topics that are so taboo that people don't seem to be able to shut up about them. Or they will as soon as they stabbed Frauke Petry in the back a few more times.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Randler posted:

Gibt's momentan keine #MAGA-Demos, dass Du jetzt wieder in deutschen Landen apologieren musst?

Randler kannst du diese bizarre Scheisse lassen

elbkaida posted:

That is not a sudden development, there is a big section of the population with somewhat racist/nationalist views due to a number of factors. So being rightwing is more acceptable in Saxony than it should and that combined with everyone wanting to send a big gently caress you to the government results in a massive win for AfD. Why couldn't all the Protestwähler vote Linke instead :(

Yeah but in the US you get where historically the racism comes from, in Weimar you get why the society was the way it was. In Saxony it just seems so comparatively random and without a cause that is proportionate to the magnitude of the effect.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah but in the US you get where historically the racism comes from, in Weimar you get why the society was the way it was. In Saxony it just seems so comparatively random and without a cause that is proportionate to the magnitude of the effect.

Weird how a part of a country that didn't really have any immigration or foreigners post-WWII gets irrationally scared the most over any foreigner (perceived or real) ever since immigration became possible twenty years ago.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

Weird how a part of a country that didn't really have any immigration or foreigners post-WWII gets irrationally scared the most over any foreigner (perceived or real) ever since immigration became possible twenty years ago.

The point is that that is also true for all the other eastern states, most of which have higher unemployment on top

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hollow Talk posted:

I blame the specific geography around Dresden which stopped bourgeois western radio propaganda getting in during the DDR days.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

Saxony seems to have below average unemployment for Eastern Germany so it's not that.

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/36651/umfrage/arbeitslosenquote-in-deutschland-nach-bundeslaendern/

They seem to just have decided that they wanna be racist as all hell, that's scary as gently caress.
Actually I wonder if there's a few other demographical aspects we should consider. I.e., age distribution, education, and yes, immigrant background - old people vote AfD, and immigrants probably don't, so maybe a part of this is just all of the young people leaving the east and no immigrants going there. I don't know, maybe I'm totally missing the proportions here.
I don't know.

However I would think ~15% is probably a reasonable estimate of the share of REALLY QUITE RACIST people in Germany.

In sum, wir müssen eine Mauer bauen, eine Mauer der Liebe.

Randler posted:

... are you upset? I mean, not at me, but this seems unchill for you.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

These results are not upsetting. It is evident that people are not happy with the policy of the GroKo. This is perhaps surprising to the Juste Milieu of Süddeutsche and ZEIT, but not to anybody else.
It is not as much the present that is upsetting people - Germany is prosperous and stable - but rather the future. And this - to my mind - is due to the fact that people are perceiving that order and predictibility are not inherent states of the German nation but were due to certain parameters that are supposedly shifting.

You have Linke and AfD who are promising a static society, you have the FPD promising the strength to adapt to changing times and you have the Greens pandering to a clientele that more or less rightfully thinks change won't affect because they are either verbeamtet and ÖD-abgesichert or young and naive. CDU and SPD have nothing to offer in terms of dreams.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Einbauschrank posted:

You have Linke and AfD who are promising a static society, you have the FPD promising the strength to adapt to changing times and you have the Greens pandering to a clientele that more or less rightfully thinks change won't affect because they are either verbeamtet and ÖD-abgesichert or young and naive. CDU and SPD have nothing to offer in terms of dreams.

Originally, this was not a bad thing. Realpolitik, free or at least not overloaded with bulky ideology that gets things done and offers stable results. "Demokratie lebt vom Wandel" does not necessarily mean that you have to restructure things on the shape that the non-Volksparteien usually offer.
The politische Mitte in itself does not have to offer dreams. However, that does of course make them look less attractive against ideological parties in general, at least when combined with people being afraid of the future, as that's exactly where those parties work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Können wir Sachsen vielleicht an irgendwen verkaufen? So wie damals Russland mit Alaska. Nur fix, nur fix.

Sachsen wurde ja mal vom König von Polen regiert. Das wäre doch ein Ansatz.