Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dexo posted:

I'm curious how he's going to be now that he's probably going to be the focal point of the offense once Wade is bought out.

Probably not good because he's absolutely not the kind of player that can be the focus of an NBA offense. On a great team he would be like a 6th-8th man.

R.D. Mangles posted:

there is very little the chicago bulls can do that won't make bulls fans have aneurysms

This is a fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His cap hold was 11 million and his qo was 7

So he got about 5 million more than the qo and 1 mill more than the cap hold * which seems fair since he has ability and has started

* I don't think Chi cares about cap space at the moment

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I think his knee is okay.

https://twitter.com/jaythetallkid/status/912058020686942210

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

His cap hold was 11 million and his qo was 7

So he got about 5 million more than the qo and 1 mill more than the cap hold * which seems fair since he has ability and has started

* I don't think Chi cares about cap space at the moment

Aren't the Bulls the team that just sold a draft pick for pennies a few months ago

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
"resplendent with weapons" i like this dude pbp announcer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Aren't the Bulls the team that just sold a draft pick for pennies a few months ago

and another bulls' second rounder was used by OKC to get Melo, that's right the very second round pick that they needed to sweeten the deal so they could acquire Cameron Payne.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Mirotic is a starter-level player so that contract is fine.

EvanTH posted:

So can he only veto trades involving him or does he have league-wide powers now

If he can override the Bulls GM on all actions this might actually be a very savvy move.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

my god he can bounce up and down slightly. it's a miracle, the league is hosed

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

my god he can bounce up and down slightly. it's a miracle, the league is hosed

modern physical therapy recommends at least 3 months of bouncing up and down in a selfie video before ramping up with activities like bowling and dunking on small slow white men in empty gyms

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

chunkles posted:

dunking on small slow white men

oh yes, that thing the entire league's been doing on twitter over the past few days

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Lockback posted:

In the G League or Europe, sure

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Craig K posted:

oh yes, that thing the entire league's been doing on twitter over the past few days

It helps if the entire white person is small, not just the hands. And if one body part is notably fast, well, it happens to everyone, they say

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

DeimosRising posted:

It helps if the entire white person is small, not just the hands. And if one body part is notably fast, well, it happens to everyone, they say

Maybe he means small as in petty. Certainly not in the waistband. That fatass is tubbier than Taft.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

verbal enema posted:

U Bum University

bum so hard university

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I have been assured by leading contrarian tv screamers that the Boston Celtics with their pile of small forwards will easily beat the Golden State Warriors

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

milk milk lemonade posted:

In the G League or Europe, sure

I'd say he's in the top 60 3s or 4s in the league. Barely top 60, but that still counts as starter level.

He was 52nd in WS last year of all players BB Ref lists as either F, G/F or F/C.

43rd in WS/48 (1000 minutes minimum)

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 25, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

If he can override the Bulls GM on all actions this might actually be a very savvy move.

I like the idea of the Bulls being so incompetent they accidentally sign over all FO duties to a player on a 2 year then dramatically improve due to the erroneous change in management

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

ChickenMedium posted:

Maybe he means small as in petty. Certainly not in the waistband. That fatass is tubbier than Taft.

i mean small as in 5'10

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

tanglewood1420 posted:

I'd say he's in the top 60 3s or 4s in the league. Barely top 60, but that still counts as starter level.

He was 52nd in WS last year of all players BB Ref lists as either F, G/F or F/C.

43rd in WS/48 (1000 minutes minimum)

His defense isn't top 60 and he's regressed in WS every year so far

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have been assured by leading contrarian tv screamers that the Boston Celtics with their pile of small forwards will easily beat the Golden State Warriors

Thank you for tuning in to my talk show

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ghost Dog posted:

bum so hard university

you can't say Bum in an airport

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

according to a highly placed nba source of mine who wished to remain anonymous: "houston rockets 2018 nba championship baby"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I wish athletes were basically 1000x more political than they are.

Why should athletes and sports be apolitical when nobody else with money would ever even consider it.

If athletes were that political I don't think they'd have any interest in playing sports.

Depending on what kind of argument/scenario one was constructing (or ones political persuasion) it's not hard to make the case that athletes/sports/celebrities have been detrimental (and liabilities) to certain political parties/politicians at various points. Within current US the affiliation with Hollywood and celebrity in general is a massive liability in certain regions.

You can see growing discontent and wedges as more and more people are refusing to watch any pro sports.

Of course, it doesn't make sense fully as DJT is an extremely wealthy celebrity himself. But in politics very often it's not what you are or what you do but what you say.

:lol:

That's brave of LBJ with his current stature. He must be of the mind that US political assassinations are a thing of the past.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Oh boy, here's another attempt at the Anthony Bennett reclamation project

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/911241338854805506

AB could play for five different teams (one in each season) in his first five years. That might be a first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

His defense isn't top 60 and he's regressed in WS every year so far

His team's gotten worse each year, and last year's team was a mess. DRPM has him as the 25th best defensive PF and DPM has him as slightly better than neutral. I think you are one of the people who think there are only 10-15 starting-level players at any position, but the NBA is 30 teams deep. Mirotic is probably in the lower-end of starters (though I feel like I could be convinced he's closer to 15 than 30).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

I love reading about what politicians think about athletes and what athletes think about politicians. It's riveting stuff. Maybe we can find out what the Speaker of the House thinks about the Melo trade or find out what the new look Chicago Bulls plan to do about the State of Illinois' budget crisis and outstanding pension liabilities.

Twitter is a scourge and it must be annihilated.

Niwrad posted:

The new 3 alphas

The Bulls organization is slowly reminding me of the growth of pod people in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956, 1978).

Watching the last vestiges of your franchise die and be replaced by an army of monolithic Yes Men who speak as one and don't make any sense. This scene captures the horror of the sane Bulls fan in year 2017 :nws: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlIo3_eddrU&t=64s

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/Steven_Ballmer/status/912079221014519808

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think it depends on your career field. If it's going to damage your future employment prospects you have to consider that. If you can create a corporations and work as a contractor then it's not as bad. But if you're going to lose say 30% of future earnings, you need to make up for that.

So assuming I'm me, I'll go with Dexo and say 1m/yr. But for the average person whose lifetime earnings are worth 2m, your rates are more than fair, plus the innocence tax, I would agree to them if I was a Morris who was paying out.

Is that a worldwide average or a US citizen or something?

When talking about jail time and recompense I'm reminded of that scene in Cape Fear (1991) when Max Cady (Robert De Niro) confronts Sam Bowden (Nick Nolte) (the man who screwed him into a 14 year sentence) and then tries to give him $10K for all that hard time. Max Cady laughs in his face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_FcDZAOpE&t=135s

I'd want eight figures considering the extra risk of doing this kind of thing with unstable athletes.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Lockback posted:

His team's gotten worse each year, and last year's team was a mess. DRPM has him as the 25th best defensive PF and DPM has him as slightly better than neutral. I think you are one of the people who think there are only 10-15 starting-level players at any position, but the NBA is 30 teams deep. Mirotic is probably in the lower-end of starters (though I feel like I could be convinced he's closer to 15 than 30).

Nah I just hate Mirotics game. He doesn't look like a starter when he's out there and I'd be interested to see what happens to his DPRM if he started or played starters minutes. But I'm probably wrong so :shrug:

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtu.be/JOgmpLf-njI

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

When talking about jail time and recompense I'm reminded of that scene in Cape Fear (1991) when Max Cady (Robert De Niro) confronts Sam Bowden (Nick Nolte) (the man who screwed him into a 14 year sentence) and then tries to give him $10K for all that hard time. Max Cady laughs in his face:

I'd want eight figures considering the extra risk of doing this kind of thing with unstable athletes.

I think it's the old standard payout for the average death, the value of a human l ife. I just googled it and apparently it's now an average of 7 to 9 million. I need a lot of money to do your bid.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ghost Dog posted:

bum so hard university

BUM DONT LIE

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Zogo posted:

Counselah!?! Weah just a coupla attorneys, working out our differences hyeah.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Im super excited to watch OKC this year, i mean, how the gently caress are those guys gonna gel and play together? I cant think of a team with that much ball dominant talent in ages

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I'm going to drive to Sacramento* to watch Carmelo Anthony play professional basketball for the Oklahoma City team. What a time to be alive.

*Warriors tickets are too expensive

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Nah I just hate Mirotics game. He doesn't look like a starter when he's out there and I'd be interested to see what happens to his DPRM if he started or played starters minutes. But I'm probably wrong so :shrug:

This is definitely a case where I will eye test it all day long. Mirotic is insanely inconsistent and has terrible game instincts on offense. A month of amazing play + a few months of bad to unremarkable play might average out to an above-average player, but it's worthless when you have no idea what you're going to get from him on a night to night basis

Before March, he was averaging 9 points, 5 rebounds and 1 assist per game in 22.7 minutes, shooting 38.8% from the field and 30.2% from three. He's mostly not even good at being a stretch four!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wade gone

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/912127156016308226

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:frogout:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
2017 offseason has lasted 2 weeks before the season started

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
kudos three alphas on a job...done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I wonder if Wade is willing to accept a bench role at this point. He seems like he might embrace an opportunity to reduce his minutes, but there's always a weird pride thing about that.

Off the top of my head, it seems like he'd be a pretty bad fit in the starting lineup of any of the Banana Boat teams. OKC could use the extra body the most, but he's probably the straw that breaks the camel's back in a hypothetical Russ/Wade/George/Melo grouping

• Locked thread