Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Podvoisky is probably the low point of the Soviet destroyer line, everything after it is pretty good with a slight hiccup at Minsk. The friendliest lines are US destroyers, Japanese cruisers, French cruisers, and German battleships.

On the other hand, if you're not having fun, you might as well stop. It's only a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
If you're not liking how fragile you seem at tier 6, then I also have to recommend you stop now, because that's not going to improve at higher tiers. It's one of the genuine problems with the game.

Based on what you're describing, you're looking for a ship that can take a hit, do some moves, and guns are kind of a close third in consideration. There's a couple of premiums that instantly leap to mind, but I'm not going to recommend you spend money on a game that you're not sure you even want to keep playing. So the best one in my mind that fits those criteria is the tier 7 German battleship, the Gneisenau. That thing has thick side armor and can go faster than some of the cruisers at that tier. The guns are typical battleship, but it comes with torpedoes, so it's in a weird position.

Also, if you don't like things at the higher tiers, remember: you don't have to keep climbing. I'm probably not going to ever have a stable of tier 10s, I don't like the gameplay. I'm perfectly content to futz around at tiers 5-8.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd say that Gnevny is a lower point than Podvoisky. Compared to Podvoisky, Gnevny loses a main gun, 4 knots of top speed and gains a bit over a second of rudder shift time. It does have a better reload time and lower spotting range, but I'd much rather play the Pod again.

Lady Morgaga posted:

Thanks to megaflex4000 and Jurrasik for fun games.

:cheers:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I mean yes, but also every other ship I played too. I was really digging the Podvoisky for awhile and now I feel like I'm in constant get-dunked mode.

I tried BBs which are not fragile but are insanely boring and totally not my thing since I cannot abide shooting once every 25 seconds and not moving in any interesting way.

Tier 5 and 6 is really brutal for cruisers. As you've still got essentially no armour, lovely concealment and gently caress all range but now your running into things like Nagato's and North Carolina's. All that can really be said is to be prepared to die, a lot.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Also there is no shame in using Operations for a bit of a boost in particularly bad T6 ships. The XP is much better than co-op although not as good as PvP.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

My heart tells me this game is dumb rear end bullshit that's an uphill battle where I will always be hit for 25k damage in two weirdly accurate volleys until I am the guy who's sperged enough to do that to someone else.

That is exactly the point of the game, yes. If you don't want to sperg you should be prepared to get dunked on because the game intentionally doesn't have skill-based matchmaking, so you will end up in the same matches as the powerspergs.

The Nürnberg is infamously fragile though and one of the most unforgiving ships in the entire game, so you did choose the right thing to complain about. In general at tiers 5 and 6 cruisers start becoming harder to play because battleships start getting actually accurate enough to hit you. The key thing you need to survive as a cruiser (and as any other ship as well, actually) isn't map knowledge or detailed mechanics knowledge or anything like that, it's mainly about situational awareness. You need to know when you can be shot at and from what angles. I wrote some quick tips a little while ago that may or may not help.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hey so I thought I liked this game and now at T5-6 I basically just get 6-12k damage done in one volley against me that hits no matter my positioning.

I'm sure I could play 1000 games and learn every map exactly and where I should and shouldn't be, but: My heart tells me this game is dumb rear end bullshit that's an uphill battle where I will always be hit for 25k damage in two weirdly accurate volleys until I am the guy who's sperged enough to do that to someone else.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't cut my losses and play something not frustrating most of the time?

e: no, I'm not willing to watch hours of streamers or YouTube videos, I'll just do something else.

orange juche posted:

You have discovered the secret truth of wows

QFT. Even if you watch hours of Youtube and get half decent or better at the game, you will still lose to things like, lovely matchmaking, lovely teammates, lovely balance, and pay to win......You can avoid some of these things at T10, but T10's economy is balanced around the fact that you do not have the credits to play it exclusively so you need to buy premium time.

The only winning move is to not play.

Btw, I was once at this exact same spot. Yet here I am approaching 2k games........................................................:suicide101:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hey so I thought I liked this game and now at T5-6 I basically just get 6-12k damage done in one volley against me that hits no matter my positioning.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't cut my losses and play something not frustrating most of the time?

It's not about learning every map or playing 1000 games or watching hours of youtube play

You are in a Nurnberg

There's a reason the meme is called "obligatory exploding nurnberg"

(get out of that tinfoil boat!)

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Don't know if there is room, but I applied to [GOON].

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DirtyFalcon posted:

There is room now after I excluded someone who hadn't logged in for three months, but I don't see your application. What's your IGN?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Update: Iron Duke is still the GOAT.

Best part was the game went tits-up early on and someone would not stop bitching to the other team constantly as I clawed the game back.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

DirtyFalcon posted:

Yeah if you are applying to [goon] make sure you put your IGN, saves loads of time.

Also let me know what sort of order you want to get the shipyard perks.

My plan was to get the discounted tier 8 ships next, 5k oil, then go for the 3% exp reduction, 2k oil each nation. the other option is the cheaper repairs but I think we have a lot of people still grinding so the first 2 would be more advantageous.

Comments here. PM, or message IG please.

Burt fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 24, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Flamu on stream: "What's the difference between AFK BBs and BBs that are playing? The ones playing are farther back on the map." :rimshot:

e: wait what the gently caress? Apparently when the Graf Zeppelin secondaries fire, it's spotting range increases to the entire map. :psyduck:

e2: https://clips.twitch.tv/TemperedObliqueMinkFutureMan watch the shaded area, indicating his spotting range, suddenly increase at the start of the map.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 24, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

El Disco posted:

Flamu on stream: "What's the difference between AFK BBs and BBs that are playing? The ones playing are farther back on the map."

Last night it was true. :cripes:

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

NA players, I have clan space available if the main fleets are full. UNCUT has 20 slots to fill. I'm usually on the discord and willing to go a round or two.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Invite Mikec_81. Me farm you oil long time. My clan tab is broken, one of the sad lot who are experiencing this problem that WG doesn't seem to intend to fix. Sent a request via web portal

edit: For USN DDs, is it Propulsion 2 or Steering Gears 2?

MikeC fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 24, 2017

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sweet. I'll drop an app when I get home!

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

Invite Mikec_81. Me farm you oil long time. My clan tab is broken, one of the sad lot who are experiencing this problem that WG doesn't seem to intend to fix. Sent a request via web portal

Invite sent.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Might be a good idea for active BANT players to move over to UNCUT as well to maximize oil earning, since a lot of BANT members haven't been on in a while.

I'll put in for UNCUT as victorsurge.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Applied.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

TheFluff posted:

There is room now after I excluded someone who hadn't logged in for three months, but I don't see your application. What's your IGN?

IGN: Dirtyfalcon

Although, now the clan page doesn't seem to want to open for me to check.

Edit: Yeah it says application sent.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Applied as Kodaxx

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Just a PSA for new players: don't sail broadside as a cruiser to ANY ships at close range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hXXbCIr3lw

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA1aVx0G1TI
Yuro made a new video, it's real good

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Fine, none of you upstanding goons expressed interest in this potato as a clan mate. :colbert:

Since I've got a thousand gold I make my own... but only if I can get unlazy and think of a good comedy name. :ohdearsass:

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

ZombieLenin posted:

Fine, none of you upstanding goons expressed interest in this potato as a clan mate. :colbert:

Since I've got a thousand gold I make my own... but only if I can get unlazy and think of a good comedy name. :ohdearsass:

Apply to UNCUT

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

When did they buff the Montana? Because getting citadels on a Yamato like that, also apparently with buffed citadels?. :allears:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

When did they buff the Montana? Because getting citadels on a Yamato like that, also apparently with buffed citadels?. :allears:

Yamato never had buffed citadels, it is the only T10 with a citadel you can hit

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

The Yamato's fore citadel bulkhead isn't a flat wall athwartships like almost everything else; instead it's more like half of a hexagon. ASCII art: \_/
So, if you see a Yamato angled like 30 degrees, just shoot under the front turret and you're quite likely to citadel him, at least at short ranges. What makes the Yamato better at bow tanking than other T10 BB's is that it can overmatch other BB bows but they can't overmatch the Yamato's, once again proving that despite all the complex ballistic modeling the game has, what's by far the most important is simply your caliber vs a magic plate thickness number WG arbitrarily chose for certain unarmored ship sections.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Applied to UNCUT as Arrgythepirate

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MikeC posted:

QFT. Even if you watch hours of Youtube and get half decent or better at the game, you will still lose to things like, lovely matchmaking, lovely teammates, lovely balance, and pay to win......You can avoid some of these things at T10, but T10's economy is balanced around the fact that you do not have the credits to play it exclusively so you need to buy premium time.

The only winning move is to not play.

Btw, I was once at this exact same spot. Yet here I am approaching 2k games........................................................:suicide101:

I just realize I had every single line up to Tier nine except for 4 (and those are at Tier 7). Wtf I'd wrong with me?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Guys I think the AS Bogue might be a bit broken:

Three of my games in her have been Clear Sky games.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Guys I think the AS Bogue might be a bit broken:

Three of my games in her have been Clear Sky games.

It's not broken, wait until you go up against a T6 and get strafed into oblivion.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

orange juche posted:

It's not broken, wait until you go up against a T6 and get strafed into oblivion.

One of those games was a tier 6 where their Indy didn't know poo poo about strafing.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Blindeye posted:

One of those games was a tier 6 where their Indy didn't know poo poo about strafing.

Because the game does such a good job of explaining the basic mechanics of carriers that suddenly appear at Tier VI.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I watched a bunch of Flamu's videos at work today and god drat does his skill impress and terrify me. I'm extremely jealous of how well he did in a Cleveland (which I am very bad at and do not enjoy.)

Does his tier X cruiser review still hold up? It's two months old, but it pretty much confirms my choice of IJN, makes me want to grind through the Cleveland and I kinda want to pick up the german line :/

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Applied to UNCUT as emmitt

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I watched a bunch of Flamu's videos at work today and god drat does his skill impress and terrify me. I'm extremely jealous of how well he did in a Cleveland (which I am very bad at and do not enjoy.)

Does his tier X cruiser review still hold up? It's two months old, but it pretty much confirms my choice of IJN, makes me want to grind through the Cleveland and I kinda want to pick up the german line :/

The French line is pretty fun/fast and sets a lot of fires.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's still relevant, I don't think there have been any recent changes to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The only thing that has changed is the introduction of the megazao.