Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ultric posted:

So I randomly started playing Medivh a few nights ago. I kinda left him alone after launch as I couldn't get the hang of him at the time, but now...I mean, dang, I think I found my calling. He seems like he has a ton of utility and works well in most situations, plus a well aimed Seal can totally turn a fight or objective. I'm mostly curious, why do a lot of folks say he's garbage at higher levels? I'm by no means a master yet and I mostly just play QM but I can only imagine a pro would essentially be the king of the battlefield with this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jyhnomVLmc&t=465s

Here's Roll 20 Vs MVP Black from the midseason brawl back in June. At the time MVP Black was considered the best team in the world, and Roll 20 drafts Medivh Diablo and runs a train over them. Total disrespect draft from MVP, but a cool game to watch the elite Koreans get destroyed by some really steller Medivh+ Diablo work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Had the most ridiculous game of Cursed Hollow I've ever played. This Valla was furious that I, I guess, wasn't able to effortlessly kill the entire team during teamfights as Valeera on my own? We'd get into teamfights and the rest of the team would just blow up in an instant (usually from the enemy Kael'thas) and then I specifically would get yelled at by the Valla for being poo poo and a noob and whatever (and half the time she wasn't even with us). Even with focusing the KT and killing him first, she'd still absolutely freak out every time we'd die to the teamfight and it was somehow always my fault and I'm sitting here like :confused: Like there was really nothing more I could do in those situations if everyone else on our team was still dying. I literally don't know what more this guy expected me to be able to do:

She was also like IT'S LIKE PLAYING WITH AI, which is funny because our Butcher left the game pretty early on so we had an AI butcher the entire time.

The Varian on our team apparently never noticed because he just kept pinging the Butcher and trying to get him to retreat and yelling at the Butcher, calling him a noob as if it was a real player. This went on literally the entire game, he just never noticed that the Butcher was an AI I guess:

Eventually the Kel'thuzad on our team also left so we had two AIs, me, that Varian who couldn't tell bots from real players, and a Valla who was so frothing at the mouth angry I genuinely worry that player may have had an aneurysm in real life.

I'm not putting this in the whining thread because the situation was too ridiculous for me to be mad about it.

edit: And I'm by no means a GOOD VALEERA. I'm not saying I did nothign wrong in the game. I'm still trying to learn how to play her, but there's only so much I can do especially against a team that had some pretty good CC

That's why I only play against AI

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

LegoMan posted:

That's why I only play against AI

Oh man this is such an unpopular stance to take in this game but I proudly claim "likewise." I play video games primarily for the enjoyment they provide and a toxic community of nerds who rage over inane poo poo every loving game seriously negate any and all fun had. I still play QM to keep my gaming skills in check, but 75% of my games are against AI and 99% of those games are drama free.

Though, I did have a fantastic time stomping a human Kel'Thuzad to death last night as Cho'Gall with a friend, so PvP is not a complete black hole.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

EdRush posted:

I think the consensus is that he only works at higher levels. You need to be able to complete Masters Touch without dying, be able to tower dive and harass without dying, and have your teammates have the wherewithal to use your portals. He's a demanding mechanical skill hero and also requires your team's awareness to get full value from what he can do, and you don't usually find that until the very high skill levels.

I really hate to be that guy but wherewithal means financial capital, funds, or money.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Sensual Simian posted:

Oh man this is such an unpopular stance to take in this game but I proudly claim "likewise." I play video games primarily for the enjoyment they provide and a toxic community of nerds who rage over inane poo poo every loving game seriously negate any and all fun had. I still play QM to keep my gaming skills in check, but 75% of my games are against AI and 99% of those games are drama free.

Though, I did have a fantastic time stomping a human Kel'Thuzad to death last night as Cho'Gall with a friend, so PvP is not a complete black hole.

If you like AI give this weeks brawl a shot. It's just all random 5 mid, so it's consequence-free. The only thing you gotta do is draft a tank and a healer and then just go nuts. Even then I've had a zero healer team beat a double healer team, so anything goes.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Sensual Simian posted:

One thing AI has made me do is be very wary of skillshots and knowing when to get out when focused. Elite AI does not miss skillshots and their focus is laser-like. They're just predictable.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

If you like AI give this weeks brawl a shot. It's just all random 5 mid, so it's consequence-free. The only thing you gotta do is draft a tank and a healer and then just go nuts. Even then I've had a zero healer team beat a double healer team, so anything goes.

Unless you get a match like my first brawl, 5 Greymane vs 5 Greymane. It took over 30 minutes and made me never want to try brawl again.

Edit: probably should have put this in the whining thread but whatever. The whole world should know my plight.

DrGonzo90 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 25, 2017

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
The all random, all mid (ARAM) brawls are easily my favorite...after Pull Party Stitches, of course. There are definitely some heroes that absolutely shine, though Ive seen some crazy outliers, Alarak immediately coming to mind.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sensual Simian posted:

counterpoint, ai is such a stomp that it becomes a grind.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

appropriatemetaphor posted:

counterpoint, ai is such a stomp that it becomes a grind.

I'm hoping the new AI changes this.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

DrGonzo90 posted:

Unless you get a match like my first brawl, 5 Greymane vs 5 Greymane. It took over 30 minutes and made me never want to try brawl again.

Edit: probably should have put this in the whining thread but whatever. The whole world should know my plight.

First match, all Valla. Second Match all Falstad

:smith:

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I want to see an all Li Ming match, just for the sheer chaos

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you want to be in AI, don't let anyone talk you out of it. Do what you want.

If you wan to be in QM, but you don't give a poo poo about the other 9 players, go gently caress yourself, and go play AI.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

Toshimo posted:

If you want to be in AI, don't let anyone talk you out of it. Do what you want.

If you wan to be in QM, but you don't give a poo poo about the other 9 players, go gently caress yourself, and go play AI.

100% this

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Well I always play WITH other people, just against AI. Very rarely do I get any kind of salt from anyone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PantsBandit posted:

Kaelthas players sure do insist on taking convection. Even in ranked. Even against teams with absurd burst damage.

:negative:

If you take Convection and never finish it, then there is a chance you are bad at Kael.

If you take any talent other than Convection at level one, then there is a 100% chance you are bad at Kael.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you take Convection and never finish it, then there is a chance you are bad at Kael.

If you take any talent other than Convection at level one, then there is a 100% chance you are bad at Kael.

Even pros don't think that, come on now. There's a time and place for convection and the globe one both.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The first statement is correct, but the second is not.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dire Human posted:

I want to see an all Li Ming match, just for the sheer chaos

Had two of those, they were as bad as one would expect.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
I like people who play AI games because they're usually the most antisocial people out there. They are incapable of handling the most basic of criticism and treat any comment towards them as aggressive. Queueing with a five stack of goons in ranked and unranked will always be enjoyable as long as AI players stick to their thing and let the good human beings play together.

Also, medivh is good but way too stessful for me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I stopped playing QM and started playing unranked draft instead. Fewer idiots because people are giving at least half a poo poo all around.

I've recently fallen in love with Kael'thas. Holy poo poo he is fun to play and pisses people off :allears:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sensual Simian posted:

The all random, all mid (ARAM) brawls are easily my favorite...after Pull Party Stitches, of course. There are definitely some heroes that absolutely shine, though Ive seen some crazy outliers, Alarak immediately coming to mind.
You can't hearth and it's just an endless 5v5 team fight, so the best heroes are ones that can sustain indefinitely, plus gimmicks like Ragnaros (lava wave is funny when there's just one lane).

---

So I tried out Chen because he's free this week and have so many questions, but the big one is why would anyone ever play this piece of poo poo? He just doesn't loving do anything.

edit: in the last Chen match of my life a Valeera who had less than 4k hero damage at the end of the match criticized my play. I don't know how that's possible if you're actually playing.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 25, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DrGonzo90 posted:

The worst Brawl i ever saw was that one hanamura pure-push map, the opposing team had two valeeras and a nova, and we had no ground-targeted AOE, so the stealthers just continually held up our payload without actually attacking and the first round took 30 minutes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Placed in Bronze 5 last season, went 8-2 in placements this season and placed in Silver 3. Moving on up!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

tcjimbo posted:

I like people who play AI games because they're usually the most antisocial people out there. They are incapable of handling the most basic of criticism and treat any comment towards them as aggressive.

no dude it's that you're a toxic and abusive player

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tcjimbo posted:

I like people who play AI games because they're usually the most antisocial people out there. They are incapable of handling the most basic of criticism and treat any comment towards them as aggressive. Queueing with a five stack of goons in ranked and unranked will always be enjoyable as long as AI players stick to their thing and let the good human beings play together.

Also, medivh is good but way too stessful for me.

He's capable of such clutch plays that when you miss one of them by like half a second it's just crushing

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Gobbeldygook posted:

So I tried out Chen because he's free this week and have so many questions, but the big one is why would anyone ever play this piece of poo poo? He just doesn't loving do anything.

He is an unkillable wall who can chase forever and bodyblock all day long. Soak up all of the damage while your team eats people.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey Blizz, maybe don't put the player who died 11 times on the MVP screen at all

Like at that point, just give a reward to another of the enemy.

We won somehow in spite of this terrible KT (and his awful teammates) who insisted on being in the front line (I even tried throwing him behind us during objectives to keep him out of the front and away from every attack, but he'd instantly just run back around me to the front :psyduck:)

I know that screen doesn't mean much at all, but it's always amazing how the worst person on the team always gets on the screen at the end with like this or silencer or (Genjis get this a lot) escape artist (the most backhanded award you can get)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd say most avenged deaths or whatever it is is probably the most backhanded and embarrassing one to get. Though that being said, if you get that and you're the only member of your team on the board, you get to say they were even worse.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shadowlyger posted:

He is an unkillable wall who can chase forever and bodyblock all day long. Soak up all of the damage while your team eats people.

*as long as they don't have stuns, silences, or displacement abilities

D.Va does his schtick better now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bogart posted:

no dude it's that you're a toxic and abusive player

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Chen's good. Easy bodyblocks and a slow that gets ridic with quest completes

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think if you're doing QM and complaining about anything that isn't explicit intentional game ruining then I think you might be in the wrong queue

I usually test out new or reworked heroes/builds in QM, even if I suspect them to be awful, because it's somewhat similar to a "real" match and the outcome of the match does not really matter

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am so loving tired of games that go well and then someone ditches for no reason and a game we were winning becomes a loss.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

chumbler posted:

I'd say most avenged deaths or whatever it is is probably the most backhanded and embarrassing one to get. Though that being said, if you get that and you're the only member of your team on the board, you get to say they were even worse.

Nah it's "escaped death 4 times" while ignoring the fact the same player fed 17 times the same game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I had a guy intentionally feed for the first 5 min with about 6 deaths.

When we called him out for being a shitter, he literally said, "I'm giving them a chance, this is my warm up, don't worry I got this." Or something to that effect.

Despite his poo poo the rest of us were competent enough to bully them out of lanes so they didn't even get much of a lead, plus we took down two gates + towers. Long story short, we slowly overran them and still won, but due in no part to this loving guy that thought he could carry with Sgt Hammer and consistently deployed siege in the middle of team fights and even used the floating siege talent. At the end of the game he had like 18 deaths, while combined across the four of us we had less than 5. The other team was really bad, but it also helped that we had a really good Tass and they had Zera and a stupid Tyrande who thought Shadowstalk would be a smart move.

Game ends, guy literally brags, "see, told you guys I had it all under control."

:shepface:

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Sensual Simian posted:

You should play the game you want, and I'm not trying to talk you out of exclusively playing vs AI

but

poo poo like that absolutely does not happen every game; if it did, it wouldn't be postworthy. The HOTS community is mostly comprised of chill (or at least quiet) nerds, with the occasional rear end in a top hat thrown in for spice.

That said, I wouldn't mind all that much if they replaced team chat with Hearthstone-style emotes, since it's pretty rare for meaningful/productive communication to occur in the chat window.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've had one griefer on my team in 600 games of QM/UD (and I told him to stfu when he dropped an early "gg" after a teammate died so if I'd ignored chat he probably wouldn't have griefed). It's actually absurd how nice people have been in general.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Goons just think pubs are chill because they've developed Stockholm Syndrome from tcjimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

T. Bombastus posted:

You should play the game you want, and I'm not trying to talk you out of exclusively playing vs AI

but

poo poo like that absolutely does not happen every game; if it did, it wouldn't be postworthy. The HOTS community is mostly comprised of chill (or at least quiet) nerds, with the occasional rear end in a top hat thrown in for spice.

That said, I wouldn't mind all that much if they replaced team chat with Hearthstone-style emotes, since it's pretty rare for meaningful/productive communication to occur in the chat window.

yeah, at most it's 3/4 of games. maybe even as low as 2/3

the hots community is largely comprised of either people who silently ignore objectives, communication and teamwork, or people who repeatedly call you a human being while they're ignoring objectives, communication and teamwork