Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Because I use Windows as well and password managers are about a million times better than iCloud Keychain. 1Password can store credit cards, identities, encrypted notes, generate strong passwords for you, the library is easy to navigate (Keychain Access is a pile of crap), and does iCloud Keychain even work in 3rd party apps with a login screen on macOS?

It's nice to sync WiFi passwords across my Mac devices but I can't see it being a viable solution for most people vs. a good password manager.

Also, 1password will work with most accounts that need OTP generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, 1password will work with most accounts that need OTP generators.

Using 1password as my OTP generator as well as my password vault has always given me unease. This is a legitimate request: tell me why I'm wrong.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pivo posted:

Because I use Windows as well and password managers are about a million times better than iCloud Keychain. 1Password can store credit cards, identities, encrypted notes, generate strong passwords for you, the library is easy to navigate (Keychain Access is a pile of crap), and does iCloud Keychain even work in 3rd party apps with a login screen on macOS (that don't have keychain integration)?

It's nice to sync WiFi passwords across my Apple devices but I can't see it being a viable solution for most people vs. a good password manager.

Fair enough, I can definitely see where the keychain wouldn't work in that situation. I don't use anything aside from iPhone/iPad/iMac/Apple TV so switching to something non keychain would not be great considering how well the system works for me in the Apple ecosystem. When I need a password somewhere it won't auto fill (like in the mentioned macOS situation) I just pull up the password quick on my phone.

I'm glad there are enough solutions for everyone nowadays.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So now that the default podcast app has been handed over to a dev that hates podcasts and the people that listen to them, does anyone have a recommendation for a podcast app that doesn't suck complete rear end. Free and no ads is preferred.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

AlmightyBob posted:

So now that the default podcast app has been handed over to a dev that hates podcasts and the people that listen to them, does anyone have a recommendation for a podcast app that doesn't suck complete rear end. Free and no ads is preferred.

Overcast and ignore the ads because who gives a poo poo.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“serebralassazin”" post="“476712845”"]
I got this wireless charger from amazon. So far so good.

yootech usb c connector Qi charger
[/quote]

Well that is so cheap that I couldn't pass it up despite saying that I had no interest in wireless charging. I see "quick charge" mentioned there - is wireless charging not actually slower than wired charging? It would be really cool if there was a distance range that actually let me still use the phone but having it on the mat means that I don't know if I will actually use it but for 15 bucks it is worth trying it as a trick.

Edit: what happens to the podcast app? I haven't used it yet on ios11.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

AlmightyBob posted:

This is the worst iteration of it for sure; even worse than the first one with the reel to reel skeunorphosm.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

Overcast. The ads are unobtrusive and served from his own ad service which consists entirely of ads for podcasts, so they arguably may even be useful.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Alright overcast it is, thanks

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Do iPhone 7 Plus cases fit the iPhone 8 Plus?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“WattsvilleBlues”" post="“476718726”"]
[/quote]

Yeah, at least the official apple ones do. I don't see why any others wouldn't

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As someone who has small children and reads iPhone a lot in bed, one of my favorite iOS 11 features is YouTube starting every link-followed video with mute, despite how loud or quiet your iPhone volume is set to.

I want that for every video, ever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AlmightyBob posted:

Alright overcast it is, thanks

Downcast is good too.

I preferred it to Overcast, but then I went Android for a year and Downcast was iOS only. I'm not sure how it compares to Overcast now, but you do have a couple of good choices that aren't made by Apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I really like downcast my self.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

rio posted:

Well that is so cheap that I couldn't pass it up despite saying that I had no interest in wireless charging. I see "quick charge" mentioned there - is wireless charging not actually slower than wired charging? It would be really cool if there was a distance range that actually let me still use the phone but having it on the mat means that I don't know if I will actually use it but for 15 bucks it is worth trying it as a trick.

Edit: what happens to the podcast app? I haven't used it yet on ios11.

I'm not too sure on wireless charging specs but I think regularly it's comparable to charging with the wire and plug adaptor that comes with the phone. Quick charge is probably comparable to using the iPad charger which is 10-12 Watts. Then there's fast charging which requires a lightning to USB C cable and a USB C power adaptor. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I really like downcast my self.

But overcast is made by one of our boys at ATP! And it's the best tech podcast 😎

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Unless you've got a case that's literally the tightest fit ever, it should work

mes
Apr 28, 2006

serebralassazin posted:

I'm not too sure on wireless charging specs but I think regularly it's comparable to charging with the wire and plug adaptor that comes with the phone. Quick charge is probably comparable to using the iPad charger which is 10-12 Watts. Then there's fast charging which requires a lightning to USB C cable and a USB C power adaptor. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Apple put a new support page up about fast charging the iPhone 8:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

I think faster charging with the iPad charger has been true for the last few iterations, but never officially acknowledged by Apple.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Went to Target and picked up a Belkin wireless charger (not the new $60 one but their older one) and it's been working great so far.

No more sharing the lightning cable with my iPad. Since I plan to use this only for overnight charging, the supposedly slower charging rate doesn't matter to me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mest0r posted:

I think faster charging with the iPad charger has been true for the last few iterations, but never officially acknowledged by Apple.

So the Qi is gen 1, AKA slow charge.

It's really slow folks. Plop down at night? Sure. Expect a 40% increase in an hour on wireless charging? Nope, need the wireless fast charging spec for that. Or a USB-C PD wall wart and the USB-C --> lightning cable. Don't cheap out on the cable, give Apple your money for a real one.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

hotsauce posted:

So the Qi is gen 1, AKA slow charge.

It's really slow folks.

So this guy http://www.loopinsight.com/2017/09/19/review-iphone-8-iphone-8-plus/

says

quote:

That’s not what wireless charging does on an iPhone 8—it provides a slower charge, equal to that of the 5W USB Power Adapter that Apple provides with the iPhone. That will increase slightly later this year with a software update from Apple, but for now, that’s what you get.

and this guy http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/19/iphone-8-wireless-charging-speed-will-improve-with-future-firmware-update-from-apple

points this out

quote:

Apple's plans were revealed Tuesday by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop in this iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus review. Without getting into specifics, Dalrymple said that the iPhone 8 units will see a slight increase in wireless charging capacity later this year.

According to him, the iPhone 8 currently charges at a rate equal to the 5-watt wall adapter in the box. Apple-recommended third-party charging pads from Belkin and Mophie available at launch work at a higher 7.5-watt rate.

So apparently 5W now, 7.5W later, probably not any more. Still slower than an iPad charger, but useful enough still?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mest0r posted:

I don't know how long it takes to charge my 8 with the regular charger (I've charged it with it once, overnight) but I just used my iPad charger to charge it and it went from 0-73% in 50 minutes while it sat unused on my windowsill. Dunno how much longer the last 23% would be (IIRC phones slow down at 80%) but in any case 3/4 of a charge in an hour is good enough for me, no need to get the laptop charger and a Lighting-USB C charger.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yea that's what I was figuring. I'm using the pad for overnight charging so it's fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going to check it tonight but the wireless charger I got from amazon seemed to charge the phone reasonably quick.

It's also nice to just be able to pick the phone up in the middle of the night without having to worry about snagging the cable.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm real glad I got over my dumb EarPod hate. They're great earbuds now! Before anyone mentions it I'm also a vinyl nerd and have great Denon headphones. Are AirPods better quality or basically the same? They're looking better to me every day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The same

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm real glad I got over my dumb EarPod hate. They're great earbuds now! Before anyone mentions it I'm also a vinyl nerd and have great Denon headphones. Are AirPods better quality or basically the same? They're looking better to me every day.

AirPods' sound quality is basically the same as EarPods. AirPods sound a bit better to me but that could be totally psychological. The real advantages are all about convenience.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pivo posted:

So this guy http://www.loopinsight.com/2017/09/19/review-iphone-8-iphone-8-plus/

says

and this guy http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/19/iphone-8-wireless-charging-speed-will-improve-with-future-firmware-update-from-apple

points this out

So apparently 5W now, 7.5W later, probably not any more. Still slower than an iPad charger, but useful enough still?

Depends on how much time you have. I still charge my iPhone using a 2.5W charger (e.g. standard USB2 power) that I got at the very beginning of iPhone ownership and it works perfectly fine for charging overnight. If you're in any kind of hurry though, probably not good.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I don't know how long it takes to charge my 8 with the regular charger (I've charged it with it once, overnight) but I just used my iPad charger to charge it and it went from 0-73% in 50 minutes while it sat unused on my windowsill. Dunno how much longer the last 23% would be (IIRC phones slow down at 80%) but in any case 3/4 of a charge in an hour is good enough for me, no need to get the laptop charger and a Lighting-USB C charger.

Yeah I agree. For most people, $50 for the 29W power adapter and a $25 USB-C to lightning cable isn't going to be worth the marginal gain. Probably just worth it to pick up the iPad charger since you can use all the cables you already have anyway.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

MrBond posted:

Depends on how much time you have. I still charge my iPhone using a 2.5W charger (e.g. standard USB2 power) that I got at the very beginning of iPhone ownership and it works perfectly fine for charging overnight. If you're in any kind of hurry though, probably not good.

Do you do this just for nostalgia's sake? Why wouldn't you use the 5W that comes with new phones?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone else here had issues with random UI jank/bugginess/slowdowns on a iPhone 7 since they switched over to iOS11?

Deleting/moving apps on springboard seems to randomly hang sometimes, and various slide actions (such as deleting/archiving email in mail.app, or actions on podcasts in Overcast) causes the item being selected to bounce left and right a bit before the action being completed. Also, the now playing card on the lock screen is stuck on one particular episode of a podcast in Overcast, regardless of what is playing.

Realllllly tempted to go back to Android - iMessage and quality of fit and finish were the only reasons I had for sticking with iOS, and now that the latter is seemingly gone, the former isn't insurmountable.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Do you do this just for nostalgia's sake? Why wouldn't you use the 5W that comes with new phones?

I'm going to guess he uses the 2.5W for overnight charging in his house, and keeps the 5W chargers to place elsewhere. In bags, at work, etc. That's what I do anyway with Apple's bricks, but at home I use an Anker 5-port charger.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. At work I just plug a cable into my laptop docking station and the pass-through wattage seems to be pretty decent.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Funny that AirPods are coming up because I was just at the store about to plunk down 100/150 bucks on Bluetooth headphones and everything I read basically said anything over 50 dollars will easily match the audio quality of AirPods and probably be better and anything 100+ dollars will certainly be better. The only thing I read that AirPods do well are integrate well with the phone and they work excellently as a Bluetooth headset for phone calls. So I noped right away from those and got some Jaybird X3 Bluetooth earbuds. I am only an hour or so using them while running errands and I am very happy with them. They are comfortable and very versatile with all the ways you can wear them, many different cushions included to make sure it fits your ears, different rubber ear cup things to keep them on your ears if you are running, 8 hours of batteries which is good enough for me through the day and an app to raise or lower frequencies as you please (which I haven't tried yet). Right out of the box they sounded great. The mids are a little anemic and the lows are also a little boosted but neither in a tremendous way so I look forward to using the app to try to dial in a sound that is improved on the already perfectly pleasant and usable out of the box sound. Not as good as my old Sony cans but those are big, heavy and have a cord (and are 18 years old) and these earbuds actually get pretty close.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone else here had issues with random UI jank/bugginess/slowdowns on a iPhone 7 since they switched over to iOS11?

Deleting/moving apps on springboard seems to randomly hang sometimes, and various slide actions (such as deleting/archiving email in mail.app, or actions on podcasts in Overcast) causes the item being selected to bounce left and right a bit before the action being completed. Also, the now playing card on the lock screen is stuck on one particular episode of a podcast in Overcast, regardless of what is playing.

Realllllly tempted to go back to Android - iMessage and quality of fit and finish were the only reasons I had for sticking with iOS, and now that the latter is seemingly gone, the former isn't insurmountable.

This happens every fall. The initial release is a little janky and then within a week or two a patch is issued that cleans things up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The App Store on both my iPad Pro and iPod have been hanky as hell the last few days on iOS 11. Constantly refreshing and not responding to taps. Anyone else with issues there? It worked fine in the beta.

Also thanks for the responses about cases.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try a reboot. I had lots of general crappiness until I did a second reboot after the ios 11 update finished.

Like I couldn't use apple pay at all and trying to use the wallet app caused crashes. Cleared up after a reboot. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Grabbed a pair of airpods at the store. Gal said they never make it to the shelves. I have the beatsx already. I gotta say they sound surprisingly good all things considered. The case and all that is really cool and I like the feel

They fit "ok." They're secure, but feel like they're constantly going to fall out. Just a firstworldproblem and all that.

Are they still impossible to find? Seems like there's a lot on ebay new being sold at cost + tax, am i missing something? People worried they're aftermarket or fell off the back of a truck?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Try a reboot. I had lots of general crappiness until I did a second reboot after the ios 11 update finished.

Like I couldn't use apple pay at all and trying to use the wallet app caused crashes. Cleared up after a reboot. :shrug:

Oh hey, a second reboot fixed most of my issues too.

Lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weedle posted:

AirPods' sound quality is basically the same as EarPods. AirPods sound a bit better to me but that could be totally psychological. The real advantages are all about convenience.

[quote="“Quantum of Phallus”" post="“476725431”"]
The same
[/quote]

[quote="“rio”" post="“476727120”"]
Funny that AirPods are coming up because I was just at the store about to plunk down 100/150 bucks on Bluetooth headphones and everything I read basically said anything over 50 dollars will easily match the audio quality of AirPods and probably be better and anything 100+ dollars will certainly be better. The only thing I read that AirPods do well are integrate well with the phone and they work excellently as a Bluetooth headset for phone calls. So I noped right away from those and got some Jaybird X3 Bluetooth earbuds. I am only an hour or so using them while running errands and I am very happy with them. They are comfortable and very versatile with all the ways you can wear them, many different cushions included to make sure it fits your ears, different rubber ear cup things to keep them on your ears if you are running, 8 hours of batteries which is good enough for me through the day and an app to raise or lower frequencies as you please (which I haven’t tried yet). Right out of the box they sounded great. The mids are a little anemic and the lows are also a little boosted but neither in a tremendous way so I look forward to using the app to try to dial in a sound that is improved on the already perfectly pleasant and usable out of the box sound. Not as good as my old Sony cans but those are big, heavy and have a cord (and are 18 years old) and these earbuds actually get pretty close.
[/quote]

Appreciate the info all of you <3 at this point I have to say staying in the Apple eco of convenience is high priority. It sucks that the AirPods are so overpriced but since I like the sound quality, fit, and usual IT JUST WORKS you get from having Apple products, they're not too bad of a price. At least for my desires. I'll have a look at the Jaybirds and some others before making any decisions though.