Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Trig Discipline posted:

I have a 25 key Mk1 and I haven't had a problem with it. I don't have any external gear though, so that may be why.

sent you a PM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

So Math posted:

You could also fake ratcheting on the volca keys if you close the filter, set the LFO to modulate the filter, turn LFO trigger sync on, and motion record the LFO rate. Saw or square LFO should work fine.

Or turn the tempo way down and manually record your ratchet pattern with flux mode on; flux mode actually just quantizes to 128 notes/bar iirc.

Thanks for the tip, yeah I've just been watching some youtube tutorials and this seems like the most straightforward way.

I''ve listened to hours of Tangerine Dream bootlegs recently and they seemed to improv the actual ratcheting patterns during their live shows.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

decided i needed something with lots of knobs that i can mess around with while lying in bed, so i just ordered a minilogue. it's been awhile since i've had a proper keyboard instrument rather than just a controller so i'm pretty pumped.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

decided i needed something with lots of knobs that i can mess around with while lying in bed, so i just ordered a minilogue.

Oh I thought this was a wedding announcement at first.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh I thought this was a wedding announcement at first.

uh i think thats more the pittsburgh modular philosophy, the one big knob is the one that matters :wink:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

decided i needed something with lots of knobs that i can mess around with while lying in bed, so i just ordered a minilogue. it's been awhile since i've had a proper keyboard instrument rather than just a controller so i'm pretty pumped.

Welcome to the Minilogue Club, friend! I have only had mine for a few months but I love it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

As a fellow minilogue owner, I think you’ll find that it’s a super capable synth but a maybe a little too porky to take into bed with you. It’s definitely more of a tabletop synth than even something I’d comfortably play on my lap.

You’ll have to get a Microbrute too. Maybe a Boutique of some sort if you want something with a built-in speaker. Or an OP-1.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

uh i think thats more the pittsburgh modular philosophy, the one big knob is the one that matters :wink:

depends on whether you're into mono or poly

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Trig Discipline posted:

depends on whether you're into mono or poly

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

is it just me or is muffs down? :thunk:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
It's down for me, too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Been down since yesterday morning. Muff Master Mike is nowhere to be found either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Went to the music store one town over today to have a look at the Drumbrute and discovered they had 10% off on everything today :toot: I almost bought a Keystep and a DJ controller and a second Microbrute (30% off!) as well but reason won out. This thing sounds super nice, no comparison at all to the Rhythm Wolf I sort of made do with until now.

I also had my first encounter with the Synth Nerd Without Boundaries that hangs around in every store. He started out helpful but then got into rapidly intensifying tall tales. I'm now reasonably well informed that "they have to have a structural engineer around every year" whereever there's either a Sub 37 or a pair of monitors of a brand I didn't catch, and that he moves in circles where synths and monitors cost €25,000 and 35,000, respectively. If I'd hung around him any longer I'm sure he would have told me about cables that cost a million € and required a structural engineer to come around every minute.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sounds like some lovecraft poo poo, having someone come to verify that the dimensions of the room have not been made IMPOSSIBLE by a sick bass patch.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I was chatting with the local music store staff and they had the tales of the guy they eventually had to ban because all he'd do was endlessly talk at them about how sine waves were musically perfect and they were all you needed to make any music (yeah, I know, technically true because Fourier series, but practically impossible) and how everything in the store was junk and useless. Any sine waves set up on a synth for him to demonstrate this sine power was met with "those aren't *real* sine waves".

I'm not sure if the guy was mentally ill or just had his head that far up his own rear end and was trying to out-pedant them.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Im sure the dude was 100% insufferable but adding together sine waves is the somewhat common and 100% badass synthesis known as 'Additive'.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The advantage: you can control 1024 harmonics which allows you to make any sound you want

The downside: you have to control 1024 harmonics in order to let you make any sound you want

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
The guy was just looking for a Hammond organ.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you call that a sine wave? listen up you loving charlatan (pursed lip hooting)

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
What up y'all, it's been a while but I just released my first collection of bleeps and bloops on Beer on the Rug.

TRAXUS - MARTIAN AYRE
https://beerontherug.bandcamp.com/album/martian-ayre

Album art by SA's own incredible Jay Tholen. It's a mix of 80s synth and weird squidgy video game melodies. Composed using all hardware synths 'n stuff. Polysix, TX81Z, TR-707, SP-404, Mono Evolver, Prophet 08, JD-990, EIIIXP. I'd be eager to hear any comments/critiques and field any questions.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Skeletron posted:

What up y'all, it's been a while but I just released my first collection of bleeps and bloops on Beer on the Rug.

TRAXUS - MARTIAN AYRE

Album art by SA's own incredible Jay Tholen. It's a mix of 80s synth and weird squidgy video game melodies. Composed using all hardware synths 'n stuff. Polysix, TX81Z, TR-707, SP-404, Mono Evolver, Prophet 08, JD-990, EIIIXP. I'd be eager to hear any comments/critiques and field any questions.

it stinks, send me all your toys.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Photex posted:

it stinks, send me all your toys.
My wife would love that but I need each and every one of them to build my enormous synth fort that I will one day construct and live inside.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the minilogue loving rules, lads. all week long I have been making warm, fuzzy, thumping basslines. all I could wish for is a 32-step sequencer instead of 16.

my buddy just got a JX-03 to go with his MS-20 mini and now we're about to drop the tightest record since Boc Maxima

EDIT: also, buying a MIDI clock was an amazing idea and now all this loving gear works in sync

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 25, 2017

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
what clock did you get? been looking into that lately

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

what clock did you get? been looking into that lately

it's actually my buddy's really, I just use it because we record all the time, but it's a used MOTU MIDI Timepiece. looks like this:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The sequencer on the Minilogue is bafflingly limited, apart from the ability to record parameter changes, but my biggest annoyance with it is the fixed arpeggiator resolution.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

it makes me sad that it looks like Korg has already abandoned the Minilogue as far as firmware updates are concerned, not being able to turn off transport so it stops hitting the sequencer whenever i hit play in a DAW is annoying and the lack of transpose.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
love everything about the minilogue except the filter that loses all of its low end when you add the slightest bit of resonance :(

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Skeletron posted:

TRAXUS - MARTIAN AYRE

I like it! The open hats are maybe a little overpowering in Dataslave, but the album is really enjoyable.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

The sequencer on the Minilogue is bafflingly limited, apart from the ability to record parameter changes, but my biggest annoyance with it is the fixed arpeggiator resolution.

I also wish it had 32 steps or sub-steps, too. Generally speaking though, I can't think of too much I'd use the built-in sequencer for just because it's so limited. I think I'm more likely to just have it be controlled by MIDI all the time

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

haha i plugged the keyboard trigger out from my mono/poly to the tempo in of my echophon and sent that clock output to my chronoblob, timing delays by keypresses is a lotta fun

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Photex posted:

it makes me sad that it looks like Korg has already abandoned the Minilogue as far as firmware updates are concerned, not being able to turn off transport so it stops hitting the sequencer whenever i hit play in a DAW is annoying and the lack of transpose.

I love my Mini but the transport/sequencer issue is annoying as hell. I was goofing around with the Mono setting last weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the "fatness" of the low-end. I mean it certainly isn't a minimoog, but it still sounds great.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Thinking about dumping the pulse plus I never use for a Pro 2. Is there some wild problem with it I haven't seen poking around? With muffs down it's tough to find complaints from people with half a clue.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I implemented a Logo-style turtle operator for the monome teletype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdADLMAvJlA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIU2NXqHlzU

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 26, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Is there an actual Turing Machine module? Like something I could feed machine code and clock and get a sequence of high and low gates?

e: oh duh would the Teletype do that? How open is it?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

e: oh duh would the Teletype do that? How open is it?

Yes, the Teletype can do a turing machine, digital or analog shift register, or anything else your heart desires.

All source code is on Github. Do whatever you want with it!

e: If you don't want the ability to program the behaviour on-the-fly, ornament + crime will do lots of stuff, too.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 26, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I've been drafted to join the band at my new job's Christmas party. The lady who organizes it said she saw me around and knew I had to be somewhat involved with music (still kind of pondering that one, actually), but they don't know I do synths yet. So far they have a violinist and flutist. Gonna be a different sort of Christmas this year I think.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
please turn up with a modular and do a noise set.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I call this one "Little Dubber Boy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

So Math posted:

I like it! The open hats are maybe a little overpowering in Dataslave, but the album is really enjoyable.
Thanks dude! Yeah, those open 707 hats are super loud. Using all hardware I record and mix everything down at once so to change any details I have to go back and rerecord the entire track. By the time I decided to add that track to the album it was months after I made it so my setup was totally different, no way to edit. Tough spot but I like doing it that way.