Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I mean it's a good card, there just aren't a ton of decks around here where it's really effective. There's one U Tron player who shows up sometimes and then I'm the only Valakut player that I'm aware of. I'm actually taking the land destruction out of my Valakut SB since I never used it.

E: Oh hey, a couple of actual Valakut Breach decks placed top-16 at SCG Louisville. Glad I'm not the only one playing it, though I'm bummed out that they don't run Emrakul...

I actually really like the Woodfall Primus. I'm adding it to my list. I still have 1 Emrakul, but I cut all my Bolts for another Sweltering Suns and 2 Hour of Promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Needs some amount of card drawing. Maybe nights whisper or painful truths in that tokens list

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
2nding that that tokens list needs some combination of nights whisper and painful truths, you want a mentor/peezy deck to have a constant flow of cards. Looting is fine but isn't really actual card advantage. Also think Purphoros is being too cute and you shouldn't have a problem winning with mentor tokens, and that seems like an insane amount of removal to play, probably could afford to cut a little for card draw.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I actually really like the Woodfall Primus. I'm adding it to my list. I still have 1 Emrakul, but I cut all my Bolts for another Sweltering Suns and 2 Hour of Promise.

Breaching out a Primus is awesome, highly recommended.

I still have three Emrakuls, and Breach (or Summoning Trap) -> Emrakul still feels amazing, but I drew the combo twice last FNM and didn't cast it either time because I knew it would get countered. I might go down to one Emrakul and throw in a couple Hour of Promise like you are, I've been meaning to pick them up while they're still only a couple dollars each.

And yes, if you're going to run a sweeper main deck here it should be Sweltering Suns unless you have a lot of Dredge in the area.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Here's a goofy idea I tried at modern night last night:

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Eldrazi Displacer
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Reality Smasher
2 Blade Splicer
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Mangara of Corondor
1 Flickerwisp

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Thorn of Amythest
4 Path to Exile

4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Shefet Dunes
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Gemstone Cavern
9 Plains

3 Stony Silence
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sunlance
1 Dismember
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Warping Wail

I went 2-2 at the end of the night, and also played about 5 games against a grixis shadow deck afterwards that I won most of. Every game I lost, I lost in game 3 as well. Lost to jund and burn, and both felt winnable but I couldn't draw what I needed to close the game before they did. The idea is to pay a taxes style deck, but more towards midrange and I really wanted an excuse to use my Thorns. First time testing the deck, Mangara is a pet card I always want to try to use but without vial she isn't nearly as good so she needs to be cut, probably for a fiend hunter or another mindcensor, blade splicer. 23 lands ended up feeling like too many a lot of the time, a few games I lost because of flood and having 4 SSG means I should feel more comfortable about going to 22. Pooping out a Thalia or thorn on turn 1 felt awesome and was pretty great in a few of my games.

Game 1 against tron I went t1 thorn, t2 Thalia, found a temple and played t3 TKS, felt unbeatable. Game 2 I kept a mull to 6 with a t1 stony in hand and my opponent kept a hand with 2 Urza's mines... and 2 maps/2 eggs, so the t1 stony destroyed him. Lost to jund in a very long grindy game 3 because I never found a path and his dark confidant put him too far ahead. Lost to burn in 3 games as well because I kept having horizon canopy in my opener and had a bad series of draws, but beat another burn deck handily in the next round.

The grixis shadow practice games felt good too assuming I could keep a displacer on board or find my paths for his threats, still feels like a good matchup just like any other variant of taxes or hatebears does. Deck needs a little tweaking and so does the SB but I had fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

L0cke17 posted:

Needs some amount of card drawing. Maybe nights whisper or painful truths in that tokens list

Alright I removed a plains, terminate, dreadbore and lightning bolt and added 4 painful truths.

I'm going to test pilot it on Monday and see how it goes.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone have thoughts on Leyline main in Ad Naus? How about reduction of scry lands to play whatever amount of fast lands? I've been tinkering and can't decide what I like. I also cannot decide if I like Opt more than Peer after testing. Peer is just so good at digging for the missing piece, but Opt helps increase my chances of turn 1 lotus.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Vital Signs posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Leyline main in Ad Naus? How about reduction of scry lands to play whatever amount of fast lands? I've been tinkering and can't decide what I like. I also cannot decide if I like Opt more than Peer after testing. Peer is just so good at digging for the missing piece, but Opt helps increase my chances of turn 1 lotus.

I run Leyline main at my LGS when there are a lot of hand disruption decks. I also did it for GP Detroit during Eldrazi Winter. It works. It makes for some terrible draws sometimes but it is better than having your hand ripped apart. I usually cut the 3 spoils and an Unlife, moving them to the side. When I play a match without disruption I put them back.

I've been running 4x Darkslick Shores and 4x Seachrome Coast forever. I run 5 scrylands, 4 gemstone mines, and 3 basics. I may cut the swamp and go back to a 3/3 split on temple of enlightenment and temple of deceit. I'm currently at 3/2.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I run Leyline main at my LGS when there are a lot of hand disruption decks. I also did it for GP Detroit during Eldrazi Winter. It works. It makes for some terrible draws sometimes but it is better than having your hand ripped apart. I usually cut the 3 spoils and an Unlife, moving them to the side. When I play a match without disruption I put them back.

I've been running 4x Darkslick Shores and 4x Seachrome Coast forever. I run 5 scrylands, 4 gemstone mines, and 3 basics. I may cut the swamp and go back to a 3/3 split on temple of enlightenment and temple of deceit. I'm currently at 3/2.
Nice! I am actually really digging this list:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116071

I do like Damnation more than Supreme Verdict, simply because getting double black is important in this deck and having to make sure I have white and blue on top of double black is kind of a hassle. I'm also not a fan of the City of Brass and will just play another gemstone. Depending on if I try to alter this into 12 can trip (with Opt)... I would also cut a land. How do you feel about Opt?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Vital Signs posted:

Nice! I am actually really digging this list:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116071

I do like Damnation more than Supreme Verdict, simply because getting double black is important in this deck and having to make sure I have white and blue on top of double black is kind of a hassle. I'm also not a fan of the City of Brass and will just play another gemstone. Depending on if I try to alter this into 12 can trip (with Opt)... I would also cut a land. How do you feel about Opt?

I haven't done any testing with Opt. I'll probably play it in place of Sleight of Hand or Spoils initially.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Valakut Breach crew- any thoughts on running Nahiri? I've seen a few Breach decks running one or two copies of it. A Breach with a built-in tutor sounds dope but part of me wonders if it's too slow.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I haven't done any testing with Opt. I'll probably play it in place of Sleight of Hand or Spoils initially.
I've never played spoils. Not a fan.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111972

I've been playing Byrd's list until recently. I've had a few chats with him and he is working on a 12 can trip list currently. One opinion is that Sleight and Opt dig deeper for turn 1 lotus, compared to Vision's.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Valakut Breach crew- any thoughts on running Nahiri? I've seen a few Breach decks running one or two copies of it. A Breach with a built-in tutor sounds dope but part of me wonders if it's too slow.

The issue is you can't protect her. You'd be better off playing more spells that either search/removal/creatures that fit your strategy. I don't see what problem she solves.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Vital Signs posted:

I've never played spoils. Not a fan.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111972

I've been playing Byrd's list until recently. I've had a few chats with him and he is working on a 12 can trip list currently. One opinion is that Sleight and Opt dig deeper for turn 1 lotus, compared to Vision's.

Makes sense. Ill have to give it a go one of these days. My list is http://deck.tk/8Atn0i4t. I like Spoils because it can act as another wincon in conjunction with Lab Maniac. My list does have some odd choices in it with main deck Echoing Truth and Slaughter Pact but locally we have a couple skred players and people running pithing needle and chalice main.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Tested UG Nissa in GBu modern elves last night.

Underwhelming. She won me one game, but the other two times I drew her I wished she was a scavenging ooze or nettle sentinel or something.

I went 1-2-drop, but that's also my first time sleeving the deck up since Oath of the Gatewatch dropped, and I definitely tossed at least one game to being bad (ran out a dork before combat with 2 nettle sentinels on the board; was unable to untap them the next turn when they would have represented lethal). I also resolved a CoCo at one point and then set the 4 cards I wasn't putting into play, next to my hand, face down -- and then put my hand on the bottom of my library, picked up the four and said "JUDGE!" -- casual REL with very laid back opponent, and we were both sure of how many cards I'd had in hand, so we just rewound. That opponent was playing a mono-black zombies brew which seemed surprisingly good to me. In game 3 I kept a hand that was basically fine but one turn off the maximal elf curve -- and died on turn 4. Seems like a cool deck.

I might see if Nissa is any better in a Beck build -- the colors are right, and 0'ing a creature into play draws a card off Beck.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 23, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Here's a goofy idea I tried at modern night last night:

ive been playing mono-white eldrazi taxes for a while and it's pretty sweet. pretty much works the same as regular white taxes, except with TKS you have less feelbad moments of jamming multiple pieces of disruption but still losing to combo/ramp decks, with the downside of slightly worse mana. it's weak against non-DS aggro decks but those decks are bad in general at the moment so who cares

try it out with vials and tec edges and 4x flickerwisps instead of all that gimmicky poo poo, you might have better results. flickerwisps and displacers are hilarious against shadow decks. good job putting yourself at 7 life. oh no, where did your threat go?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

ive been playing mono-white eldrazi taxes for a while and it's pretty sweet. pretty much works the same as regular white taxes, except with TKS you have less feelbad moments of jamming multiple pieces of disruption but still losing to combo/ramp decks, with the downside of slightly worse mana. it's weak against non-DS aggro decks but those decks are bad in general at the moment so who cares

try it out with vials and tec edges and 4x flickerwisps instead of all that gimmicky poo poo, you might have better results. flickerwisps and displacers are hilarious against shadow decks. good job putting yourself at 7 life. oh no, where did your threat go?

I've been playing D&T decks in modern since forever and usually a vial deck is what I take to a tournament, I just wanted to try something kinda different and use my thorns :shobon: I do think BW eldrazi taxes is probably the best version at the moment but I'm a sucker for monowhite. Have you tried shefet dunes as a "dual" land in a white eldrazi taxes build? Card is pretty great.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I've been playing D&T decks in modern since forever and usually a vial deck is what I take to a tournament, I just wanted to try something kinda different and use my thorns :shobon: I do think BW eldrazi taxes is probably the best version at the moment but I'm a sucker for monowhite. Have you tried shefet dunes as a "dual" land in a white eldrazi taxes build? Card is pretty great.

shefet dunes is pretty solid as a W/:d: dual, even if the ability rarely comes up. a lot of bad players scoop to the threat of activation instead of seeing if you're brave enough to spend that many resources shoving all-in

I think mono-white is much better than B/W. B/W is powerful on paper but you lose so many games to your own manabase, as opposed to mono-white where your manabase is super reliable and also cuts your opponent off entire colors in the late-game. playing mono-white with thought-knot seers has been a good way to split the difference

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

shefet dunes is pretty solid as a W/:d: dual, even if the ability rarely comes up. a lot of bad players scoop to the threat of activation instead of seeing if you're brave enough to spend that many resources shoving all-in

I think mono-white is much better than B/W. B/W is powerful on paper but you lose so many games to your own manabase, as opposed to mono-white where your manabase is super reliable and also cuts your opponent off entire colors in the late-game. playing mono-white with thought-knot seers has been a good way to split the difference

Yeah I'll probably play around a bit, but Bob and strangler along with the sideboard options mean a lot. I think you can ignore a lot of awkward mana problems if you have a vial and I really love processing away permanents with stranger. I am a sucker for monowhite though, I might try the normal build and sub out angels for TKS.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
strangler sucks in the current meta imo. way too many decks that dodge lightning bolt

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

strangler sucks in the current meta imo. way too many decks that dodge lightning bolt

Yeah I should say stranger is better locally, compared to overall numbers. Great against affinity and whatnot. The bw list that made t8 at the last SCG open was actually down to only 1 strangler main with 1 sideboard. Too bad there wasn't a white processor card and blight herder isn't good enough outside of dedicated eldrazi decks.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Ready to play some Vintage in a post-Mentor world. I played BUG Fish last month and it's just not the kind of deck I want to be piloting; I'm gonna try to keep the faith.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Now you can have double Jace action!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's hideous!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

It's hideous!

Turn on your monitor

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In fairness, white bordered duals and power? What is this, commander?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Aston posted:

In fairness, white bordered duals and power? What is this, commander?

I'm more concerned with FNM Brainstorm and Probe plus what looks like a promo Seeker of the Way?! Have some standards! Not to mention the expeditions.

I approve of Soccercaster Mage, judge Clique, and the FNM Swords though. Especially the Swords.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is Artificer's Intuition even remotely possible as a deck without Top? There's gotta be some way that you can build the deck without it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Is Artificer's Intuition even remotely possible as a deck without Top? There's gotta be some way that you can build the deck without it.

Not really? Even after it's demise miracles still manages to make everyone miserable! As it should be.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Not really? Even after it's demise miracles still manages to make everyone miserable! As it should be.

Including the entire format!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

man i really need some beta plows so i can have some respect for the game at champs next month.

speaking of, is anyone going to champs? I have some kind of pyromancer/mentor control bullshit locked in for vintage but I am waffling between UB Death's Shadow and UWr Landstill for legacy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thought experiment: what's the best Modern deck you could build using only cards that were printed in the old frame (so pre-8th Edition, TSP Timeshifted, and promos with the old frame)? My initial idea ended up being a weird Goblins deck also running a mana-denial "package" with Avalanche Riders and Blood Moon. I also had no idea what the hell to do with the sideboard-
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Ghitu Encampment
10 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Avalanche Riders
4 Blood Moon
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Goblin King
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mind Stone
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Siege-Gang Commander

Sideboard:
3 Boil
2 Defense Grid
2 Hammer of Bogardan
3 Shatter
2 Threaten
3 Tormod's Crypt

Only other thing I could think of was some sort of red control list with Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge, going deep to win with Form of the Dragon. Any ideas?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ideas for other decks? You could do very bad Rack decks or very bad UB control. Opt, Mana Leak, Whispers of the Muse, Dissipate, Terror, Smother, Funeral Charm, winning with Mahamoti Djinn and Bribery.

edit: if you're allowing old frame promos then this deck can have Bob. The more I think about it the more I want to try on X-Mage.

Deck: UB Control in Modern (using pre-Modern cards)

//Lands
2 Faerie Conclave
6 Island
4 Polluted Delta
6 Swamp
4 Underground River

//Spells
4 Bribery
2 Dissipate
4 Mana Leak
4 Opt
4 Smother
3 Terror
2 Whispers of the Muse

//Creatures
2 Mahamoti Djinn
4 Merfolk Looter
2 Nekrataal
4 Phyrexian Rager
3 Shadowmage Infiltrator

//Sideboard
4 Cruel Edict
3 Infest
3 Duress
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Time Warp

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 30, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

there's an old-frame dark confidant?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

there's an old-frame dark confidant?

Judge promo.

https://magiccards.info/jr/en/61.html

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Even Thomas Kinkade had the decency not to put a bright loving logo on his paintings.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

I'm more concerned with FNM Brainstorm and Probe plus what looks like a promo Seeker of the Way?! Have some standards! Not to mention the expeditions.

I approve of Soccercaster Mage, judge Clique, and the FNM Swords though. Especially the Swords.

That is, indeed, a promo Seeker. I'm goin' for a promo theme, what can I say. It's not like I tried to cut corners and save money or something. It pained me to make a call between Judge Island, Guru Island and Summer Island.

The duals should be FBB eventually, but I keep changing the split so I want to lock it down a bit first.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQMmmZgTL_Q

EDIT: Oops, I misread the question. Oh well, still a cool video. :rip:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Euro any recent tweaks to mill? I had a pretty solid record for September with it.
Though I'm waiting to get paired up with the idiot that plays sneak and breach who says I can't beat him. Except I'm pretty sure mill wins that way more than half the time, depending on configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OK thinking of these is kinda fun.

Deck: 8 Rack in Modern (Using Pre-Modern Cards)

//Lands
22 Swamp

//Spells
4 Blackmail
2 Cruel Edict
4 Funeral Charm
4 Megrim
4 Mutilate
1 Phyrexian Arena
3 Stupor
4 The Rack
2 Underworld Dreams

//Creatures
2 Mindslicer
4 Phyrexian Rager
4 Ravenous Rats

//Sideboard
4 Darkness
4 Rain of Tears
4 Duress
3 Vicious Hunger

Display deck statistics

Replace Bobs with Ragers if that's all right.

edit: why the gently caress is the rack 15 tix on magic online.