Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I agree, but I think you're seriously underestimating the number of Android nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

EdEddnEddy posted:

The edge to edge design of the Essential phone is really good as the shape of the phone allows you to hold it easily without bothering the edges. I haven't used a Samsung with the Edge enough to know if that implementation is harder to handle or not.

My Note 8 screen is fantastic and edge-to-edge is fantastic, but then I do use a case and so have extra grip/would never have to worry about physically touching the edge unless I intend to. I don't use or care about screen protectors so can't comment on that implementation for these types of screen, and I wouldn't use the phone without a case either ( although for the few minutes before I put it in a case, it seemed fine ).

I don't know how you people are palming your phones though, ever since the iPhone 3G I've always held my phone in my left-hand with my fingers on the right-side edge and the left-side against my palm. Sometimes I may use my pinky as a shelf for the bottom. You don't need to strangle your phone, unless your catchers mitt hands are literally so big that you cannot hold a phone in your palm without your fingers folding over the top like a face-hugger while you attempt to impregnate your phone with your bulbous ovipositor thumb.

This must be an Android Thread bingo square already, isn't it? How to hold a smartphone?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's been a phone bingo square ever since Apple tried to blame signal problems on the iPhone 4 on people holding it wrong.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Is there a decent app that prevents my phone from changing ringer volume by something accidentally punching the volume buttons in my pocket when the screen is otherwise locked?

I just want it to not change volume while locked, nothing else.
Why that's not a default option in android I cannot fathom.

E:, Oh wait, there's a dedicated app thread, isn't there.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 23, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What phone do you have that changes the ringer volume with the screen off? That's never been a standard "feature" of Android afaik. That would be terrible design.

edit: are you sure that whatever is hitting the volume buttons isn't also hitting the power button?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Hay guys, long time no post (this thread started moving way too fast for me). I read back to page 1005 and couldn't find anything talking about this or any specific cause/solution online so I thought I'd ask here.

Basically my Nexus 6P is nearly unusable after updating to Oreo from Nougat last night. Symptoms:
- Apps will randomly disappear while I'm using them; not just 3rd party, but like Gmail, Chrome and Play Store (invisible crash? aggressive garbage collection?)
- Sometimes instead of disappearing sometimes Chrome will show the unhappy face and "Whoops! There's a problem displaying this page". This is while reading/scrolling, not loading
- Battery use is nutso. Pre-Oreo I'd get 16-18 hrs on "normal". Today I barely got 12 hrs on Battery Saver, and if I hadn't had turned it on it would have crapped out at 4 hrs on "normal"

Have rebooted several times, disabled bluetooth, turned off background activity on the two apps not Oreo targeted (Awful and Slack), checked play store for updates on everything/anything, checked System > Developer > Memory (thank you Google for moving that into Developer) but memory use never got above 60%

Any ideas suggestions? I can use Awful App/Chrome for anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 minutes or so before they just disappear. Anything that loses focus (e.g. when switching apps) either crashes invisibly or gets brutally memory harvested.

An update on this, thank you for the people who answered. I'd like to avoid doing a factory reset since I am dumb and have never done backups or anything.

Google updated 3 apps yesterday, YouTube, Google+, and "Carrier Services", and now the battery consumption is back to normal. I'm not sure if Carrier Services is even something relevant but that'd be my guess, either that or just finishing updating something somehow reset something else that was causing the problem.

The apps randomly disappearing problem still happens, but I think I've chased down one of the main causes: it happens when I go from wi-fi to mobile data 99% of the time. There's a city-wide wifi network that my phone jumps onto and off of when it's in range, and I think that's what's causing the "random" crashes. If I move out of range of a wifi and chrome is open it'll pop the "oh snap!" message nearly all the time, and I'm seeing the same behaviour in gmail, awful app, etc. I can work around this at least, the battery drain thing was a complete non-starter and I'm glad that seems to be fixed.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Hey jerks I've got a brand new pixel xl that I'm selling in the SA Mart. Listen to the thread title and buy it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835255&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When does oreo come out for the Samsung s8?

Also, after playing with the iPhone 8 in store today, glad I switched to an s8 a few months back. That iPhone is just getting worse and worse with every iteration. I'm really liking the s8 a lot.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blind Rasputin posted:

When does oreo come out for the Samsung s8?

Also, after playing with the iPhone 8 in store today, glad I switched to an s8 a few months back. That iPhone is just getting worse and worse with every iteration. I'm really liking the s8 a lot.

What specifically do you think is getting worse with the iPhones?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The price:eng101:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What specifically do you think is getting worse with the iPhones?

Talking emoji?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TollTheHounds posted:

I don't know how you people are palming your phones though, ever since the iPhone 3G I've always held my phone in my left-hand with my fingers on the right-side edge and the left-side against my palm. Sometimes I may use my pinky as a shelf for the bottom. You don't need to strangle your phone, unless your catchers mitt hands are literally so big that you cannot hold a phone in your palm without your fingers folding over the top like a face-hugger while you attempt to impregnate your phone with your bulbous ovipositor thumb.

:allears:

Please write books. Fucks sake lol.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What phone do you have that changes the ringer volume with the screen off? That's never been a standard "feature" of Android afaik. That would be terrible design.

edit: are you sure that whatever is hitting the volume buttons isn't also hitting the power button?
Nokia 8.
And it could very well be something hitting the power button, they're on the same side.

I just tested, with the Glance feature on you can change the ringer volume without unlocking it or hitting the power button first. With it off I have to hit the power button first, then I can change the volume.
It's better I guess, but the phone is still locked, and I don't want it to change volume when it is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it possible to buy the Moto X4 from the Project Fi site and then not sign up for Project Fi? I just want to keep using my T-Mobile service.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
My sister's Nexus 5X has started bootlooping. She bought it new-in-box from eBay, not direct from Google. Is she SOL for warranty replacement?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

With a 5x she is sol in any case, so yes

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is the bootlooping generally associated with the Snapdragon 808s and 810s, or is it more to do with something LG has done?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the bootlooping generally associated with the Snapdragon 808s and 810s, or is it more to do with something LG has done?

AFAIK it's something to do with how LG implemented the 808/810s, my guess is it's thermal-related?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I wonder if the replacement mainboard is revised from the original in any way. It would be good to know if the phone might start looping again, although I guess the battery will have died long before that...

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

chmods please posted:

My sister's Nexus 5X has started bootlooping. She bought it new-in-box from eBay, not direct from Google. Is she SOL for warranty replacement?

It happens on the nexus 6P as well which is an 810, but aside from that it seems to happen on other LG phones.

Try going to LG for repair first. If that doesn't help, this fix worked for my 6P - http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/general/guide-fix-nexus-6p-bootloop-death-blod-t3640279 and there is a similar one for the 5X http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/general/untested-nexus-5x-bootloop-death-fix-t3641199. It's a pain in the rear end and no guarantee it will work but if the phone is dead otherwise, it's worth a try.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The majority of bootloop reports are based on their 808 devices which makes it hard to determine considering no one else really used the processor. Basically this is what is known:

• The devices primarily reported as being part of the issue are the G4, V10, 5X, and G5.
  • LG released a statement staying that the cause was "loose connections" between components
  • Some users were able to restore their devices by installing firmware that disabled the two "big" cores of the CPU, pointing to a processor defect.
  • There have been reports of boot looping for other devices using the 808 including the Blackberry Priv and Microsoft Lumia 950

Tl;dr there seems to be two issues, one with LG and one with Qualcomm. My theory is that the 808 line is actually 810s with one or more defective big cores locked (this is a pretty common practice for GPU manufacturers) and the remaining cores were susceptible to thermal damage but it's hard to say.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MXP used the SD808 and it's not a common problem with them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TollTheHounds posted:

This must be an Android Thread bingo square already, isn't it? How to hold a smartphone?

I love every word you wrote there. I hold my phone since the Galaxy S like you.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I know this isn't the eBay thread, but I just won an auction for a XL for a friend of mine and the seller cancelled it because "there's something wrong with the buyer's address" and promptly put it up for sale again. The rear end in a top hat clearly expected more money, but I searched around and apparently there's nothing I can do about this? I can't even leave them feedback.

My friend was super excited about replacing his broken-down 6P, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This may not be the appropriate thread but I know you nerds will have some ideas. What's a good Bluetooth earbuds thing these days? Nothing too expensive because I will inevitably lose them or they'll end up in the wash.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

This may not be the appropriate thread but I know you nerds will have some ideas. What's a good Bluetooth earbuds thing these days? Nothing too expensive because I will inevitably lose them or they'll end up in the wash.

It's nearly impossible to top the Air Pods. They work fine with any Bluetooth device and truly are a great product.

But they are expensive, so maybe this isn't the best suggestion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use the Backbeat Fit. They are waterproof, durable, and they don't completely block noise so you can safely jog with them outside. I've seen them for like $60 on BHPhoto.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use the Mpow Magneto; the sound quality is okay and the ends are magnetic, so you can pause just by clipping them together around your neck when not in use, and play by putting them back in your ears.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

It's nearly impossible to top the Air Pods. They work fine with any Bluetooth device and truly are a great product.

LOL non-sealing ear buds? Hard pass, take directly from the package to the trash can.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah I can't justify the price of the airpods. Those are both good suggestions, I definitely need them to be usable for exercise so sweat proof etc is very good. Thanks pals.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I can't justify the price of the airpods. Those are both good suggestions, I definitely need them to be usable for exercise so sweat proof etc is very good. Thanks pals.

I got these guys

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC...545&sr=1-3&th=1

they work pretty well for the gym and general use

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I got these guys

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC...545&sr=1-3&th=1

they work pretty well for the gym and general use
Hrm. Talk up 24bit, but they don't do aptX or AAC apparently. :|

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hotsauce posted:

How the hell do they not just fall out of your ears? Granted I haven't used a pair of Apple ear buds since I got my iPod Classic, but their fit was terrible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Same here. While the AirPods might be compatible with any phone they certainly aren't compatible with every ear.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

wrong thread!

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 25, 2017

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The AirPods also look absolutely ridiculous, whatever you might think about Apple.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

What, no one likes LG Tones? They're around $35 and tuck under your shirt collar... I've had them around my neck most days for the last 6 years or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-HBS-770-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B01EKDXM3O?th=1

I'm gonna keep using them until affordable Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds hit, and if LG upgrades to 5.0 then I'll just get whatever new tones they make.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The various mpow and related brands are fine for me and they're so cheap I don't really care what happens to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

What, no one likes LG Tones? They're around $35 and tuck under your shirt collar... I've had them around my neck most days for the last 6 years or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-HBS-770-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B01EKDXM3O?th=1

I'm gonna keep using them until affordable Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds hit, and if LG upgrades to 5.0 then I'll just get whatever new tones they make.

Those look really awful and uncomfortable, I'm going with the Mpow ones for now.