Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 8, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 8, 1996)

Garfield Classic (February 8, 1986)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Dustin

why are plain females always so jealous of attractive females

It's not fair that I go to the gym and these women i can't gently caress give me a boner. They must be vapid sluts

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

is this the arc where Jon drinks the dog cum

e: when I say "arc"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

:drat: I can't stop laughing at those first four panels, they're righteous. LOL at the faces in panel four.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

It's not fair that I go to the gym and these women i can't gently caress give me a boner. They must be vapid sluts

I really wish there was a rule about wearing perfume or heavily perfumed body products to the gym. It gives me a loving headache to be working out next to someone that smells like they fell over into a case of axe or raspberry dream.

Mirrors ARE an essential piece of equipment at the gym. How else would you check your squat form?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

is this the arc where Jon drinks the dog cum

e: when I say "arc"

I knew everyone was thinking it and no one was asking it, but no. I actually have no idea when that strip was published.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Today's Garf

It's completely static. Lifeless. Like it's been put together from pre drawn parts, which it almost certainly has.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

It's completely static. Lifeless. Like it's been put together from pre drawn parts, which it almost certainly has.
I'm sure if someone did one of those panel comparison gifs of the strip, there'd be very little change.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Everyone escapes in their own way on Ballard Street

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm sure if someone did one of those panel comparison gifs of the strip, there'd be very little change.

If you cross your eyes and fuse the panels together, you will, indeed, see that only the mouth parts change and the arms are overlaid.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Evil Mastermind posted:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Arlo and Janice gets me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's barely more change than I was honestly expecting.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Bland old Garfield has now become offensive.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Slammy posted:

And He Died. (September 1970, click for big)

They didn't even bother putting up a goddamn railing!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Kala

Nancy
Gocomics is being a butt. Lucky you.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4IIEbeN1Y

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Johnny Aztec posted:

I do not know what is broken within me, but Brooke just doesn't OFFEND me. It's boring.ugly, garbage, but it just doesnt offend.
Holbrook? He offends me on a near daily basis that Brooke WISHES he could reach.

Brooke is really just exercising his fetish in public. It's gross and possibly a little bit rude, but it isn't, like immoral, unless making bad art is immoral.

Holbrook is actively promoting some really unhealthy ideas about relationships and marketing them to exactly the people who don't need to hear them. (Admittedly I have no reason to believe any of them are paying the slightest bit of attention.)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rand Brittain posted:

Brooke is really just exercising his fetish in public. It's gross and possibly a little bit rude, but it isn't, like immoral, unless making bad art is immoral.

Holbrook is actively promoting some really unhealthy ideas about relationships and marketing them to exactly the people who don't need to hear them. (Admittedly I have no reason to believe any of them are paying the slightest bit of attention.)

Brooke is definitely promoting unhealthy ideas about relationships but I have no idea if anyone is paying attention.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, and see, if you look at this one, even though the setting is relatively static, you can tell that each panel was hand-drawn and lettered (look at the Ts, for instance). There are a lot of little inconsistencies that end up making it feel more organic, as opposed to the "made in Flash from existing assets" vibe of Today's Garf. Also, the jokes are just better.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Stultus Maximus posted:

Brooke is definitely promoting unhealthy ideas about relationships but I have no idea if anyone is paying attention.

Oh, I guess you could be right; I just have an incredibly difficult time following what's going on in Brooke's stuff because it's so decompressed-yet-mildly-bizarre.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A good comic. :3:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Gocomics stopped being a butt, so have some Nancy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Gocomics stopped being a butt, so have some Nancy.

This explains it:

So Brad was basically plagiarizing old Bushmiller strips and Guy, whose cultural knowledge includes references to old music, VIET NAM VETS, and (TBD), just went ahead and drew the poo poo.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Brad, please come back and slap your brother.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

2003 Spiderman

Oh hey, it's two of the comics from those famous edits! :allears:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mikl posted:

Oh hey, it's two of the comics from those famous edits! :allears:
I thought the one where he threw the newspaper also looked familiar.

F Minus

loving whales.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Oh God she's touching me!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Flash Gordon March, 1956

Another convenient ending to an adventure!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

This explains it:

So Brad was basically plagiarizing old Bushmiller strips and Guy, whose cultural knowledge includes references to old music, VIET NAM VETS, and (TBD), just went ahead and drew the poo poo.
I'll still take retreads of Bushmiller strips over 100% Guy Nancy.

SOME GIZMO

TODAY'S MIXED-UP TEENS

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (April, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (August, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (September 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lazy references and no Hitler, 1/5. :colbert:

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Dustin

why are plain females always so jealous of attractive females

Today I saw a woman at the Planet Fitness squatting 150lbs (which looked above her body weight) in a full face of make up. She was in front of the mirror to make sure her stance was right.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:drat: I can't stop laughing at those first four panels, they're righteous. LOL at the faces in panel four.

Same. That panel, it's perfect. I want it framed and be the first thing I see when I wake every day.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Hahaha, drat, that's really cool. I hope it really was Guy Lombardo who sent that in.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Isn't it? It's fantastic.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Here's some facts taking up space in my brain: Jeremy in Zits has an older brother, Chad, who I think was originally written to be away at Harvard and just disappeared from the strip.

Also his dad is an orthodontist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Been a while but aren't all Mel Brooks movies intensely, intensely inappropriate for children to watch

• Locked thread