Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does that mean we can inject nintendont into a wii u menu item and if so how do I do that pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

havenwaters posted:

Yes and no. Yes in that we now have the ability to inject other stuff into Wii U Wii Eshop games (like xenoblade). But that still teeechnically goes through vWii so if your vWii is broken they probably won't work.

Can you use the gamepad controls for injected games that supported the classic controller? This is huge news if so.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you use the gamepad controls for injected games that supported the classic controller? This is huge news if so.

Apparently yes. This goes for games run via an injected Nintendont install as well. I don't have the guide on hand but it should be on GBATemp somewhere.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So we got a shortlist of the good 3DS homebrew? Any good GBA and/or PSX emulators?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Fuzz posted:

So we got a shortlist of the good 3DS homebrew? Any good GBA and/or PSX emulators?

GBA probably runs best as VC injects, and I'm pretty sure there's no working PSX emu. (While there are GBA emulators, they don't run great. VC injects do have the drawback that since they change the system's mode, there is no close-lid sleep mode, and other DS/DSi/3DS features don't work while playing them either.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ChaosArgate posted:

Apparently yes. This goes for games run via an injected Nintendont install as well. I don't have the guide on hand but it should be on GBATemp somewhere.

Awesome. A hacked Wii U continues to be the best console.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Eons ago, around the Letterbomb days for the Wii in 2010-2011, I remember downloading a homebrew program that would let you put the game disc in the tray, install it in an external hard drive (which removed loading times almost completely), and it'd also download the game name/box cover and put them all neatly together into one menu. Does anyone remember what it was? Does it work on the Wii U's vWii mode?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Updated from A9LH to B9S, and man, that was really easy.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GUI posted:

Eons ago, around the Letterbomb days for the Wii in 2010-2011, I remember downloading a homebrew program that would let you put the game disc in the tray, install it in an external hard drive (which removed loading times almost completely), and it'd also download the game name/box cover and put them all neatly together into one menu. Does anyone remember what it was? Does it work on the Wii U's vWii mode?

I never had a Wii, but from what I can find the app you're seeking is USB Loader GX. You do have to prep the external drive on your PC first, but the app does the rest.

Here's what I found: http://lifehacker.com/5518518/how-to-back-up-and-play-your-wii-games-from-an-external-hard-drive

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I finally did the emunand to B9S transfer. Feels a lot nicer now.

Probably shouldn't have been :effort: this long considering how easy it was. The only thing that was annoying was transferring all the data in my almost full SD card two times.

Big Papadum
Sep 15, 2017
Nintendont

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
11.6 is out. 11.5 payloads appear to still work.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the home menu was not updated, which means old payloads will still work. What was updated was the eShop applet, the NS (nintendo shell), the usual friends module update (with a version increment so old systems can't use internet services anymore) some error strings, and some version strings. Nothing much interesting. It was probably literally a "stability update".

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

HenryEx posted:

It was probably literally a "stability update".

ʎʇıןıqɐʇs ǝɹoɯ spǝǝu

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So 11.6 is safe to update to?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure while A9LH could theoretically be detected and forcefully removed at the risk of bricking a system as it is corrupted firmware, B9S is completely impossible to detect as it has a valid signature and looks no different than normal firmware to the boot9 bootrom.

If you have B9S you can update always without issue.
If you have A9LH just update to B9S already so you can stop worrying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I, indeed, have B9S. Thanks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The RSA verification bug that makes homebrew signatures look legit to the bootrom is fixed in pretty much all other implementations (quote from the exploit author: "Checks against the sighax vulnerability are present in firmware as early as 0.14 (1.0.0-0), from January 2011." ).
So, if Nintendo ever introduces a firmware to check the signatures of the currently installed firmware on NAND in running FIRM instead of the hardware bootrom (which would detect Boot9Strap, since it fails a proper check), they'd have the ability to brick your onsole or something. This is unlikely to happen and it would probably be patched out within hours/days with a new CFW version that disables that check - but do you really want to be the one who updated without the OK from the guys who know what they're talking about and risk your console?

Always check if it's OK to update before you do.

edit: if you're still running an EmuNAND setup (like me), you're always safe of course, and can update whenever, you only risk your EmuNAND and can always boot your real system NAND if something goes wrong

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 19, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

GBA probably runs best as VC injects, and I'm pretty sure there's no working PSX emu. (While there are GBA emulators, they don't run great. VC injects do have the drawback that since they change the system's mode, there is no close-lid sleep mode, and other DS/DSi/3DS features don't work while playing them either.)

This injector lets you add sleep mode to GBA games:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057/

Not sure how well it works, though. You have to hit a key combo to put the game to sleep.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

What exactly do you do with this? Is there a guide?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I just put it in my install folder and then used wupinstaller. Now I'm playing Ikaruga on my Wii U and it's awesome. (Though make sure to go into options and turn Memory Card Emulation on, or you won't be able to save your hard fought high scores.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GUI posted:

I don't have a Wii U, so I have no idea if anything like that exists for it, or if any of the old Wii programs work on a Wii U somehow. But I do have a program set up on my Wii that does this.

The program I have is called WiiFlow. It needed extra things that none of my other homebrew apps did, though I don't remember the entire process. I do remember that it required I add some "custom" IOS files to unused IOS slots ("custom" here meaning "made by some guy on the internet"). I assume these custom files were needed because the normal versions of IOS don't include support for loading games via SD or USB. Once I got it set up though, it's exactly as you describe: insert disc, hit button, wait a while (it's kinda slow) to rip the game, then boom you have a nice menu with box art and you can just click the game and load it. It's always worked for me, but I don't have many Wii games, so there might be some that don't play nice with it, YMMV.

Atlus Shrugged
Jul 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

I never had a Wii, but from what I can find the app you're seeking is USB Loader GX. You do have to prep the external drive on your PC first, but the app does the rest.

Here's what I found: http://lifehacker.com/5518518/how-to-back-up-and-play-your-wii-games-from-an-external-hard-drive

You don't actually need to format your drive as WBFS anymore, NTFS works fine.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I just put it in my install folder and then used wupinstaller. Now I'm playing Ikaruga on my Wii U and it's awesome. (Though make sure to go into options and turn Memory Card Emulation on, or you won't be able to save your hard fought high scores.)

Do you have to inject a particular gamecube into it or can it load them off a hard drive?

Big Papadum
Sep 15, 2017
Nope just have the gamecube isos you want to play on your sd card and boot it up

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
^ what this person said. I think I just put gamecube isos in the root/games folder.

FiestaDePantalones fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 21, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Quick question I have two Luma updaters, the new on and the old Arm9, how do I get rid of the old one?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Bum the Sad posted:

Quick question I have two Luma updaters, the new on and the old Arm9, how do I get rid of the old one?

Delete it like any channel in data management. Hope you pick the right one to delete though you could just delete both and reinstall the new one

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I believe they have different title IDs so you should be able to suss out the right one.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Any ideas why HANS wouldn't be showing up on the homebrew launcher? I'd like to take some screenshots and it's a lot faster than the Luma shortcut one

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dr. Dos posted:

Any ideas why HANS wouldn't be showing up on the homebrew launcher? I'd like to take some screenshots and it's a lot faster than the Luma shortcut one

double check that the .3dsx file is actually there

also wow we seriously haven't gone beyond HANS for screenshots? I'd use bootntr before that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the biggest SD card a regular Wii can read?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the biggest SD card a regular Wii can read?

If it's not too out-of-date firmware-wise, it'll definitely do 32 gigs, although for old firmware versions it caps out at 2 gigs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks! Also is there an easy guide for Wii hacking like there is for 3ds.guide?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

univbee posted:

If it's not too out-of-date firmware-wise, it'll definitely do 32 gigs, although for old firmware versions it caps out at 2 gigs.

It's like the 3DS, officially it can't go above 32GB because it lacks an exFAT driver and the SD card spec says anything >32GB must be exFAT.

...but you can ignore the spec, format larger cards to FAT32 and they work just fine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

repiv posted:

It's like the 3DS, officially it can't go above 32GB because it lacks an exFAT driver and the SD card spec says anything >32GB must be exFAT.

...but you can ignore the spec, format larger cards to FAT32 and they work just fine.

Yeah I got a 64 SDHC card working on my Wii after formating it to Fat32. Just probably use a software for that, as using DOS will just have it fail at the last step.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thanks! Also is there an easy guide for Wii hacking like there is for 3ds.guide?

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/before-you-begin should work but it isn't quite as "step by step" as the 3ds stuff. Of course hacking a Wii isn't as involved as the 3ds stuff if it's just a Wii (and not vWii on a wii u). Use letterbomb to install the homebrew channel, install cIOS stuff for usb loaders, grab homebrew stuff if you want it (nes, snes, genesis emulators mainly). Rip your games to the usb hard-drive with the wii disc drive and the usb loader, etc.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can you run everything for Wii off an SD card now or do you pretty much need an external hdd? Looking for a minimalist solution and don't really need to keep 50 isos so less storage doesn't bother me.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

dishwasherlove posted:

Can you run everything for Wii off an SD card now or do you pretty much need an external hdd? Looking for a minimalist solution and don't really need to keep 50 isos so less storage doesn't bother me.

I think you can run wii games off a sd card but I'm not sure on the speed of wii sd card reader and if it'll be fast enough or whatever for all games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You technically can, but you really shouldn't. SD card speeds aren't really good enough to play backups from.

• Locked thread