Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Take away her powers and you still have someone who effortlessly killed a giant warrior when she was 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember that the arc is called Vs. Four Emperors - Zou and Totland are both smaller arcs in a greater whole, and as much as I initially thought they could beat Big Mom here, it's become pretty clear that they can't.

Katakuri isn't much of an end boss, it's true, but that's because he's a mid boss like Magellan, likely with Luffy pulling out something we haven't seen yet or that he learns here like with Blueno.

Most importantly, Totland didn't have a story in itself that gets resolved with Big Mom going down. There's no deposed leader to take over again, no revolutionary movement, no closure, just Big Mom getting back up again and pursuing the Straw Hats anyway, except taking her down here would make that far less terrifying a prospect since right now she is still unbeatable, so a difficult escape that sets up the next part of the arc and climaxes with a mini boss is the only way this plays out now, regardless of how it could have when we were young and full of dreams of Luffy clowning her with the help of Brook and Nami.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Please tell me more about how someone in a fictional manga with magical abilities given from a fruit they eat is illogical, thanks. :allears:

Yeah how silly of me, there is no internal system of rules

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TriffTshngo posted:

I get where you're coming from but there's a major flaw in all this: I think you're taking Big Mom too lightly. Dressrosa was won by the narrowest of margins. Doflamingo was a proper "take Luffy to the limit" final boss. Do you really think Big Mom is around the same level of power as Doflamingo? Because the way Oda's built her up says to me that no, she is not.

I think she's a lot stronger yes, but I also don't think Doflamingo pushed Luffy to the limit. Luffy was only just losing when fighting him in Gear Second and was clearly trouncing him in Gear Fourth; to an almost comical degree. Which he only went in to in the first place because the Bird Cage made things much more urgent. Even when Doflamingo started using awakening to try and level the field all he did was slow Luffy down a little by doing something he didn't understand. The only thing that stopped it being a pure curbstomp was that Luffy wasn't used to Gear Fourth yet. Gear Fourth itself has yet to have it's limits pushed at all. I'm taking Big Mom lightly, but I'd argue it's because I think other people are taking her too heavily and acting like she's some kind of unbeatable God and I don't think the story has really pushed that at all. When Oda wants he can certainly present that, see Kuma in Saboady, Magellan in Impel Down or the Admirals in Marineford. Nothing Big Mom has done has presented even close to that kind of gap, and while I'm sure people will argue that the gap isn't that big, my point is that that Oda can sell a gap in strength when he wants and I just don't see one here between Luffy and Big Mom as presented.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember that the arc is called Vs. Four Emperors - Zou and Totland are both smaller arcs in a greater whole

Syrup Village, Baratie & Arlong Park could be summed up as the East Blue arc, Alabasta, Skypiea, Enies Lobby and Thriller Bark could be summed up as the Paradise arc. Just because something is part of one arc doesn't mean it can't be part of a greater arc. Even the biggest "big" arc has gone on for maybe 150 odd chapters, and we've already put down 77 chapters as of this week just on Big Mom alone. Unless you are proposing that Kaido, Shanks & Blackbeard will all be dealt with in maybe 123 chapters so as to extend this big arc to 200 chapters and make it the biggest one yet, which I highly doubt, then I imagine this is simply another case of naming a mega arc like "East Blue", "Paradise" and "New World".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Take away her powers and you still have someone who effortlessly killed a giant warrior when she was 5.

she did punch the gear 4 straight out of luffy the one time they went head to head

I would be surprised if luffy didn't get some kind of power up from the katakuri fight tho, even if it's not a new form

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

tsob posted:

I think she's a lot stronger yes, but I also don't think Doflamingo pushed Luffy to the limit. Luffy was only just losing when fighting him in Gear Second and was clearly trouncing him in Gear Fourth; to an almost comical degree. Which he only went in to in the first place because the Bird Cage made things much more urgent. Even when Doflamingo started using awakening to try and level the field all he did was slow Luffy down a little by doing something he didn't understand. The only thing that stopped it being a pure curbstomp was that Luffy wasn't used to Gear Fourth yet. Gear Fourth itself has yet to have it's limits pushed at all. I'm taking Big Mom lightly, but I'd argue it's because I think other people are taking her too heavily and acting like she's some kind of unbeatable God and I don't think the story has really pushed that at all. When Oda wants he can certainly present that, see Kuma in Saboady, Magellan in Impel Down or the Admirals in Marineford. Nothing Big Mom has done has presented even close to that kind of gap, and while I'm sure people will argue that the gap isn't that big, my point is that that Oda can sell a gap in strength when he wants and I just don't see one here between Luffy and Big Mom as presented.

Luffy kinda totally did hit his limit there though. Doflamingo was too fast for gear 3 attacks, shrugged off gear 2 attacks and Luffy had to burn through all his gear 4 time and then some to win, and probably would have still lost if sheer ego didn't demand mingo go head to head with Luffys strongest move. How exactly are you interpreting the part where Luffy was on his rear end being hidden by the tournament announcer and a couple hundred gladiators were out getting slaughtered to buy time while he tried to get enough juice up for one last shot?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
luffy wasnt at his limit though because gear 4 proved to push doffys poo poo absolutely in and the only tension was when luffy depowered. gear 4 luffy is a good tier ahead of doffy and luffy wasnt using whatever else gear 4 forms he must be hiding up his sleeve

most of the dressrosa fights were chumpdowns and the only stakes was from hostages or the whole island being blown up AND they did it with half the crew gone and while I've accepted luffy isnt taking down big mom here lets not play revision and make it seem like anywhere in the new world had any real challenge yet until now

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 24, 2017

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

drjuggalo posted:

luffy wasnt at his limit though

drjuggalo posted:

the only tension was when luffy depowered.

:thunk:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

luffy wasnt at his limit though because gear 4 proved to push doffys poo poo absolutely in and the only tension was when luffy depowered. gear 4 luffy is a good tier ahead of doffy and luffy wasnt using whatever else gear 4 forms he must be hiding up his sleeve

Luffy running out of Haki was being at his limit. The "unlimited Gear 4" some fanboys like to imagine would indeed be a good tier ahead of Doflamingo, but that's not what Luffy is capable of right now.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
but if luffy cut all the playing around at the start and hit him with one kong gun like he did after he powered back up the arc would have ended right then and there, luffy didnt run out of gas from doffy but from just using it and doffy would not have handled half of what luffy threw out at cracker

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luffy depowered so Oda could pad chapters so he could put the sharing of the armada sake cups as chapter 800

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Luffy depowered so Oda could pad chapters so he could put the sharing of the armada sake cups as chapter 800

not worth it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EmmyOk posted:

everything about the climax of dressrosa sucked except luffy's ability to bend his limbs mid punch and the final blow on doffy

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

anime was right posted:

dressrosa sucked

yeah

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

nah the arc was super good up until birdcage, and a couple of the fights were solid

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one thing i really like about oda is he creates lots of subdivisions of characters. like, most of the characters in one piece fall into some sort of group so that you can remember them really easily. like, the supernovas, the yonko, the shichibukai, the marines, etc. i know some of these are like, just important organizations or factions. most key characters under characters who are in these groups fall into little subgroups (doffy's org was broken up by suit, for example). so like, you can remember characters by what groups he put them in. i always thought that was neat and something a lot of successful fiction with huge casts tends to do in some fashion so its easier to remember people...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

normally i think the black limb haki stuff and haki in general is dumb but Bounceman's red + black limbs are so sick

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah the kabuki aesthetic is cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there were some great moments in dressrosa (god ussop, senor pink, king kong gun) that were balanced out by some awful ones (human umbrella robin, luffy sending vegeta to fight kid buu while he recharged his ki running out of haki, rebecca's fight being sidelined by her dad so she was stuck as a damsel the whole time) and the whole arc dragged on for way too long

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Saying the whole arc sucked was harsh. It was really long and rambling, and it felt like a lot of good moments were outweighed by dumb stuff like introducing 50 new characters in the colosseum. I understand the point was to introduce them for the sake of establishing the armada at the end of the arc, but it's really hard to care about them until that happens. In general I found it really hard to care about pretty much anything except taking out Sugar, and Luffy vs. Doffy. There were a lot of genuinely cool moments but there was so much else going on that detracted from them and it really soured me on the arc.

I started reading after dressrosa had finished so I never had to deal with reading it week to week, but I don't know if I could have stayed interested the entire time. The only thing that got me to power through it was people saying that everything after was excellent (which it has been).

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Dressrosa was a fun arc and had cool badguys but trying to introduce a literal armada of wacky characters in one arc strained the pacing. But now that it's over, the next big arc we have a full cast of side characters with powers and personality already introduced, so we can jump right into fighting Kaidou when they reappear. Look at Dressrosa as good investment for later chapters.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conversely, the next arc could be even more bogged down with characters.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SatansBestBuddy posted:

it seems like we'll know most of the straw-hat side characters tho

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This is why I wonder if we even need a new crew member. Ever since the New World started it feels like the series is buckling under its own weight.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

This is why I wonder if we even need a new crew member. Ever since the New World started it feels like the series is buckling under its own weight.

Would help if they didn't meet 50 assistant characters every single arc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
carrot joining the crew would be cool and good imo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ManSedan posted:

What if there are Devil Vegetables.

Closest thing is a tomato devil fruit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jose posted:

Yeah, I could see her joining up but if she does I'm gonna assume she'll be the last regular member unless they decide to shove Law or Vivi onto the team later on (which is doubtful seeing as they both have their own commitments to worry about). I agree that we don't really need anymore crew members though, this series has become bloated enough as it is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

every one piece character is a precious gift

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this might be a hot take but i think luffy is going to punch big mam

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Countblanc posted:

yeah the kabuki aesthetic is cool

Gear 5 is gonna be Noh theatre.

Gear 6 is just going to be luffy reciting terrible poetry.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jose posted:

Carrot and the other furries will probably join the armada along with the samurai.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Jose posted:

this might be a hot take but i think luffy is going to punch big mam

He tried but it didn't work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The official translation of Napoleon's line is "this country" not my country.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey couple of questions, was there a reason given why Zoro can do Asura? Is he just bad as gently caress? And what's up with all the reused Baroque Works powers in Doflamingos crew?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hey couple of questions, was there a reason given why Zoro can do Asura? Is he just bad as gently caress? And what's up with all the reused Baroque Works powers in Doflamingos crew?

A. It was just a new power up I think.

B. I think a good deal of the 2nd arc features similar powers. Even in the Big Mom arc, we have Katakuri's fruit against Luffy's fruit, and Perospero's fruit against Galdino's (Mr. 3) fruit.

Heck, not just powers but also storylines and characters, sorta. The Dressarosa arc has plenty of similarities with the Baroque Works arc, so I figure it's deliberate on Oda's part.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I got the impression Croc was trying to follow the Dressrosa playbook.

Of course, the meta reason might be that Oda went back to the well.

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 26, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah, Zoro's just that cool. Also, Oda actually addressed this, a lot of fruits work off a hierarchy, so Plume Plume is strictly a worse Gas Gas, Chill Chill is a better Snow Snow, Weapon Weapon is straight up better than Dice Dice, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Zoro's relying just on pure strength and has a pretty high mastery on most Haki so I wouldn't be surprised if he's almost as strong as Luffy right now in the same way the people were terrified of Raleigh.

Out of the 12 people in the "Worst Generation" the only two who have a relatively unknown strength right now are Drake (Who has a mythical Zoan fruit) and Killer (Who I assume is like Zoro and just really loving strong)

I'm assuming Tier A+ is Luffy/Law/Kid
Tier A- is Drake/Zoro/Killer and playing sub-captains/Admirals to the strongest pirates
Blackbeard is an end-boss with some broken Fruit.
Hawkins/Capone/Uroge/Apoo are B tier and aligning themselves with stronger people
Bonney is probably not particularly strong, but plot related, perhaps to World Nobles, in the same way Robin is extremely important yet not overwhelmingly strong

What I really want to know is how Crocodile and Bones stack up against these guys, and honestly maybe even Enel could hold his own in the New World too if he weren't so lazy/laid back.

What I love about One Piece is that people aren't losing to imaginary power levels like Bleach, Naruto, or Dragon Ball Z, but legitimate counters