Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ok so its been like five years since i bought a laptop but

how do i spec out a new macbook on apples store? all i see is four fixed specs. can i not get a non-touchbar with the 3.1 chip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn posted:

ok so its been like five years since i bought a laptop but

how do i spec out a new macbook on apples store? all i see is four fixed specs. can i not get a non-touchbar with the 3.1 chip?
aye no

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

are you loving serious

i just chose one of the four

oh my god apple

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn posted:

are you loving serious

i just chose one of the four

oh my god apple
if you don't want touchbar your options are MacBook, MBA or refurb MBP

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kenny Logins posted:

i just wanted top spec everything except touch bar because i want a real escape key
god damnit

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bump_fn posted:

i just wanted top spec everything except touch bar because i want a real escape key
god damnit
my mistake they do have 13" mbps new without touchbar but they top out at 2.5 for an astronomical sum (relatively speaking) or else a 2.8 15" for a similar amount

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

no escape no surrender

also, my jackphone 6s plus throws bugs like an droid after the update. great job!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pierogi posted:

no escape no surrender

also, my jackphone 6s plus throws bugs like an droid after the update. great job!

same with my iPhone 7, but to be fair to Apple it's already obsolete and 2 generations behind, I can't reasonably expect it to be supported

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
even if you were foolish enough to install ios 11 at least be patient enough to wait for the .1 release for some semblance of stability

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

even if you were foolish enough to install ios 11 at least be patient enough to wait for the .1 release for some semblance of stability

it's been in public beta 4eva. bugs should be worked out by now.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i wonder how much :420: sierra will gently caress up my mba

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bump_fn posted:

i Have Faith in my 2013 mba to handle the marijuana sierra

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Doc Block posted:

vince russo is a good booker who needs someone to keep him in check and essentially be a counterbalance. vince mcmahon was usually able to do that, ed ferrara not so much.

russo also needs to stay away from women. and the japanese. and the mexicans. and gay. and anyone else that isn't white.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

apple swapped out the battery to my 6s this weekend so i'm gonna get another good 2 years out of this bad boy or maybe wait for the SE refresh idk

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I like my SE and would be excited for a refresh except I know there's no way they don't kill the headphone jack in the SE2.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
beve stallmer

lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my iphone 8+ delivery which was scheduled for 9/22 was delayed due to:

09/22/2017 9:00 A.M. A transportation accident has delayed delivery.

and i havent gotten an update since

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
:qq:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

the driver probably wrecked when he saw your mom and swerved to hit her

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

why did stebe have to be so dumb about his pancreas :mad:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Kenny Logins posted:

you can get the 13" MBP without Touch Bar, and it is honestly the best model because it uses a lower power processor (that is not much slower than the model with the touch bar), but also has a physically bigger battery so you get great battery life.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jimmy Carter posted:

you can get the 13" MBP without Touch Bar, and it is honestly the best model because it uses a lower power processor (that is not much slower than the model with the touch bar), but also has a physically bigger battery so you get great battery life.

this is what i've got it's good.

wish it were 15" though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what do you all use the escape key for anyway? is it some old school computer toucher thing?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Boiled Water posted:

what do you all use the escape key for anyway? is it some old school computer toucher thing?

pressing escape sucked before the touch bar so for anything important i map it to something else

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pierogi posted:

no escape no surrender

please take your phone to a vet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

god damnit

welcome to the real world lol, they dun goofed with le emoji bar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

should make it faster if anything, assuming you have ssd-only mbp of recent couple years, with maxed out specs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm honestly surprised that I haven't heard more whining about ios11 killing 32 bit apps.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jimmy Carter posted:

lower power processors suck if you are stemlord doing actual computing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

I'm honestly surprised that I haven't heard more whining about ios11 killing 32 bit apps.

"flappy bird is dead :qq:"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

mbps don't have the cooling appropriate for their processors and graphics anyways so the lower power processor is probably pretty similar in performance since it doesn't have to throttle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

mbps don't have the cooling appropriate for their processors and graphics anyways so the lower power processor is probably pretty similar in performance since it doesn't have to throttle

pretty much this. you can't max out the cores for more than a few seconds without overheating.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nice garbage

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

this could be chalked up to the App Store being actually good. or advanced warning for developers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my retina macked out book
pro, the one with usable keyboard and normal ports and mag safe

it’s the best piece of hardware i’ve ever had. i’d choose my phone over it for practical reasons but it’s my fave thing

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

[quote="“cinci zoo sniper”" post="“476738773”"]
[/quote]

if you actually need computing power why do you have a thin and light laptop?

my work had this conundrum and then it was pointed out that you should just prototype on a laptop then run models in Azure Cloud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

actually just realised that now my old air video app doesn’t work

it always worked flawlessly over the network whereas my mac trying to access the network is flakely and hosed as sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“The Management”" post="“476738757”"]
I’m honestly surprised that I haven’t heard more whining about ios11 killing 32 bit apps.
[/quote]

ios has been warning me off this for the entire time i had ios 10 and i would use aoo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

if you actually need computing power why do you have a thin and light laptop?

my work had this conundrum and then it was pointed out that you should just prototype on a laptop then run models in Azure Cloud

well, there's a little bit of computing power, and there's a lot of computing power. what's the point of a 2.5 grand macbook for work if it performs worse than a windows laptop at the third of the cost? i dont need it to be able to do anything, but matching current generation medium-tier laptop hardware specs would be a nice feature for a "pro" laptop to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"it throttles in 3 seconds"
"drat, i usually run scripts that can take entire double digit minutes"
"jesus loving christ rent a cloud dude, laptops arent meant for work that takes time"

• Locked thread