Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
From a Flatliners trailer.

Don't gently caress with this guy, apparently.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BlackFrost posted:

I'm reading it all in Frankenstein's voice.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

Marty Graw just brought on the storm. He's loving dead, kiddo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Jamie_Weinstein/status/912004155606257669

Oh, hey, it's a good faith analogy to start an interesting conversation.

https://twitter.com/barrettbuss/status/912035642191818752

Oh, what a good counter, I'm sure the OP will take it into consi-

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Weinstein/status/912035879455248384

:sigh:

Well, surely a more specific explication of the analogy would lead to a meaningful response:

https://twitter.com/alexhazanov/status/912031160171155456
https://twitter.com/alexhazanov/status/912031323585433600
https://twitter.com/_Mkieva/status/912035483579973638

Oh, I'm sure he wi-

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Weinstein/status/912036075442499584

:shrug:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

One of my friends, commenting in a roundabout way about the Kaepernick/kneeling during the anthem controversy and the fact that NASCAR is cracking down on possible protests. This same person put a small confederate flag in their profile picture:

https://imgur.com/xUA7m0N

I love my friends; honestly. But some of them I just don't engage with when it comes to stuff like this. In most cases, I really don't think it's racism, but just living in the south and growing up in "America gently caress yeah"/"love it or leave it" culture.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Don't disrespect the US flag" means exactly jack poo poo coming from someone displaying an enemy nation's flag.

I mean, "America, love it or leave it" is the exact opposite message from the CSA flag.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rick_Hunter posted:

I was expecting the Silent Hill wiki.

Correct. It's my favourite meltdown of all time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, "America, love it or leave it" is the exact opposite message from the CSA flag.

What are you talking about? They didn't love it so they tried to leave it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Don't disrespect the US flag" means exactly jack poo poo coming from someone displaying an enemy nation's flag.

This is kind of a frustrating response, because it completely ignores that, for a large section of the South, the confederate flag is no longer seen as representing the civil war stuff, or at least not as solely or even mainly representing it. It's been turned into a symbol of Southern identity in general, pride in one's place of birth and culture, etc. It's one of the worst possible choices for such a symbol, but nobody using it ever got to pick the symbol.

It'd be a lot easier if we could come up with some alternative symbol to communicate "I am from the South and feel like that's pretty awesome" that wasn't connected to "I believe that chattel slavery is cool and good."

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
^^barbecue. It's regional, and as a bonus, you still get to argue about it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Puppy Time posted:

This is kind of a frustrating response, because it completely ignores that, for a large section of the South, the confederate flag is no longer seen as representing the civil war stuff, or at least not as solely or even mainly representing it. It's been turned into a symbol of Southern identity in general, pride in one's place of birth and culture, etc. It's one of the worst possible choices for such a symbol, but nobody using it ever got to pick the symbol.

This is pure bullshit. The Confederate flag didn't see a resurgence in use until the Civil Rights Movement started being taken seriously and was used as a symbol to say that they were not going to stand for the idea of black people being treated equally to white people. It is not, and has never been, a symbol of southern heritage going back generations. That is pure fiction that was made up out of whole cloth within many people's lifetimes. It is an active choice to use that symbol, one either of prejudice or of willful and purposeful ignorance, but it's a choice nonetheless.

Anyone who wants to pretend that flag is about "heritage and not hate" can shove it right up their asses.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

confederate flags are a useful indicator of which gas stations me and my family shouldn't stop at on long drives

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Admiral Bosch posted:

Or a bowl of grits.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Or a bowl of grits.

Bland, beige slop sounds about right.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mierenneuker posted:

Probably the Transformers one, it's very sassy.

Plom Bar posted:

You can't just say that without posting examples

TFWiki posted:

After the Autobots were evacuated from Cybertron to Earth, Signal Lancer (シグナルランサー Shigunaru Ransā) is one of several Transformers who took the form of a stoplight. Located in a remote portion of the American desert, his only friend was a Transformer who turned into a pay phone located directly across the road.

EDIT:

Admiral Bosch posted:

No you don't, because anyone with taste buds acknowledges eastern NC as the superior option.

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Sep 25, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Bland, beige slop sounds about right.

You're doing it wrong. Though even good grits/polenta is just a vehicle for other more tasty bits of food.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who doesn't put anything to flavour things like oatmeal or grits? It would be like boiling a whole potato then eating it like an apple.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I do that. But since potatoes aren't my staple food and I don't do it often, potatoes still have that unique flavour for me. Also, I eat the skin, so maybe that's an additional texture that's cheating.

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Sep 25, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

You're doing it wrong.

I don't do them at all, because I refuse to eat anything named after a term used to describe sandpaper and cat litter.

Also because they are nasty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Picnic Princess posted:

Who doesn't put anything to flavour things like oatmeal or grits? It would be like boiling a whole potato then eating it like an apple.

I grew up eating grits with nothing but some salt (and if you wanted to be really exotic about it, adding some butter) in them. Scrambled eggs and grits is good comfort food breakfast to me, ideally with some bacon on the side.

People say chicken and dumplings is bland, too, but again comfort food to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried grits once, never again. The argument that 'oh you mustn't have had good ones' isn't enough to convince me to try thousands of bowls of the awful stuff to find the one that approaches palatable.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Who doesn't put anything to flavour things like oatmeal or grits?

Yankees.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Southern grits are for people that find mayonnaise to be too exotic and spicy for their palates.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Please tell me the 'art' Prof_Nutbutter referring to isn't some anime thing

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

toanoradian posted:

Please tell me the 'art' Prof_Nutbutter referring to isn't some anime thing

"underage sex train" makes me think Stephen King's "It"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
This lovely gentleman just popped up on a reply to a friend's post:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Trig Discipline posted:

This lovely gentleman just popped up on a reply to a friend's post:

Aside from all the other stuff, I'm from Dallas and there was never any kind of plebiscite that I remember, leave alone one that came back 75-25. The City Council did vote: 13-1 to remove the statue.

I'm not trying to argue with a crazy rear end in a top hat by proxy, I'm just genuinely wondering where the particular bit of nonsense about the vote in Dallas came from.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It was published in the Texas Quarterly Journal of Facts Pulled Out Of Rusty Barnett's rear end.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally a Rusty Barnett is when you get a rim job at a Courtney Barnett concert.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to pull off.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
iykwim

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
A couple hours after I stopped talking about politics on facebook, I was called back when I was tagged by someone I didn't know. I'm red, of course.

I know you're not allowed to call your own shots, but hot drat I love The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Idiots on Social Media: Have you ever touch the titty

I don't really like calling people out for spelling or punctuation but I made an exception here and I am glad I did.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

It'd have been easier if you'd remembered the tweezers

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wait, so if we participate in solo athleticism, we have to GIVE participation trophies out?

That loving sucks. I want to keep all my "went hiking" trophies to myself!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well?? Have you ever touch the titty or not?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/whosalexander/status/911367482459525120

Of course the most important thing to do now is point out that Puerto Rico is not a country.

But what even is a country? Is it an island? And what is a hurricane?

Some people preferred to just make incomprehensible "jokes".

Others were just sick of all these natural disasters happening at the same time. Why can't they spread them out a bit?

This guy believes that it's impossible to care about two things at the same time.

And many others just want you to know that they don't even own a television.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Of course Puerto Rico is a country.

https://twitter.com/RobertSteedley1/status/911747619814281216

EDIT: "He's the president of the USA, not Puerto Rico. Grow up."

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh wow, that's just perfect.