Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yes. But educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Been a while but aren't all Mel Brooks movies intensely, intensely inappropriate for children to watch

All? No? What is so wrong with Space Balls? Half the jokes they won't get, and the other half are dick jokes. Kids LOVE dicks jokes.

And Young FrankenSTEEN. Not sure what would be objectionable about that.

Man in Tights? Maybe the Shithouse joke, which they wouldn't get, and the Chasity belt, again which they wouldn't get it. Don't see anything really objectionable.

In fact, what exactly do you have against Mel Brooks films?

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 25, 2017

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (September 27, 1970, with aliasing presumably added later)

Sally Forth

Funky Winkerbean

That was such a specific date and location, and one that was apparently important enough to completely blow off the punchline of a Sunday strip, that I had to check. There's a lot of stuff going on at the Columbus Museum of Art this week, and the only one on the calendar that's cartoonist-related was the one that happened today...which wasn't even remotely related to Funky Winkerbean. So the question stands: Dude, what the hell?

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday, back after skipping a month of Sundays. (November 4 and 11, 1928)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

dismas posted:

Here's some facts taking up space in my brain: Jeremy in Zits has an older brother, Chad, who I think was originally written to be away at Harvard and just disappeared from the strip.

Also his dad is an orthodontist.

I vaguely remember a brother but I'm like half suspicious you're trying to pull a 'girl Shark Attack' but with the Duncan family. I also recall Hector having a vastly different character design when I used to read the comic in an actual newspaper when I was a kid.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

And that is why they can never go back to the television department at Best Buy.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

computer angel posted:

I vaguely remember a brother but I'm like half suspicious you're trying to pull a 'girl Shark Attack' but with the Duncan family. I also recall Hector having a vastly different character design when I used to read the comic in an actual newspaper when I was a kid.

They redesigned him with an in universe makeover. Not sure why the artist did it, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

You know a lot of writers and artists who lived through WWI more or less talked about it like they underwent a brief period of nationalistic psychosis they later deeply regretted.

Just food for thought

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

And that is why they can never go back to the television department at Best Buy.

Imagine this poo poo being printed on newspaper black and white

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calaveron posted:

Imagine this poo poo being printed on newspaper black and white

I can't imagine it being printed in a newspaper.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mercury Hat posted:

They redesigned him with an in universe makeover. Not sure why the artist did it, though.

If I remember right, he was so perfect that a photograph couldn't capture his image on film, and was 6' 6".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know a lot of writers and artists who lived through WWI more or less talked about it like they underwent a brief period of nationalistic psychosis they later deeply regretted.

Just food for thought

America got it particularly hard, too. Harding's election in 1920 was basically a categorical rejection of everything Wilson had led us to war over, and it was like pulling teeth for Roosevelt to shift sentiments back towards intervention after things began to heat up in the 30's.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set keeps its options open.

Working Daze is a repeat.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gives us a happy ending.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

computer angel posted:

Nope, he's correct. Chad Duncan existed, and is probably currently hanging out with Lyman and Calvin's Uncle Max.

Late Sunday comics!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

It's very rude of him to dox the mom from Rose is Rose.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So what do you think of Star Trek: Discovery?

I like the direction it's taking, and the female lead, and the, uh, spaceship and planets. I like that it has aliens. My favourite bit was when the thing happened. HELP I COMMITTED TO A WEEK OF THIS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its not a comic strip tho

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like NERD THING. I am excited about TALKING POINT FROM MARKETING MATERIAL. Yes, and I'm glad they have a TALKING POINT FROM MARKETING MATERIAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKGy2cg4Wk

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
That Mel Brooks One Big Happy is just as stupid as any Working Daze where the gag is "movie reference!" though perhaps slightly more forgivable for being a hacky aberration in an otherwise well written strip.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 9, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 9, 1996)

Garfield Classic (February 9, 1986)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

So what do you think of Star Trek: Discovery?

I like the direction it's taking, and the female lead, and the, uh, spaceship and planets. I like that it has aliens. My favourite bit was when the thing happened. HELP I COMMITTED TO A WEEK OF THIS

I'm almost hoping Discovery blows (haven't seen it yet), just to spite Reddick.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of I Shall Wear Brown Flannel Trousers and Walk Along the Beach

I love chibiSam in the first panel.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
isn't it kind of weird that Meg goes to the gym with her mom? doesn't she have any friends? And that they comment on other women's bodies together?

Dustin

geez why are mom and Meg so judgmental

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (February 9, 1986)

THE COLORIST (exasperated): gently caress that

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The latest Luann: it blows.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

What in the world is going on with that brown extra tusk or whatever in that small space on the left?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's a laundry clip.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

isn't it kind of weird that Meg goes to the gym with her mom? doesn't she have any friends? And that they comment on other women's bodies together?

Dustin

I'm about 99% sure Family Circus made this joke once.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Dez is clearly questioning Luann's and Bernice's take on Tiffany. Any guesses how the Evanses are going to write Dez away? I'm guessing something drug related because she's a dirty hippie and drugs are bad mmkay.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Green Intern posted:

The latest Luann: it blows.

But does it suck?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BigDave posted:

But does it suck?

Quite.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why is it wrong for Luann to be concerned her friend is overweight?

would you think she's bad if she gave her alcoholic friend an AA pamphlet?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Concerned friends don't smarmily suggest that maybe the fatass needs a gangbang.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

why is it wrong for Luann to be concerned her friend is overweight?

would you think she's bad if she gave her alcoholic friend an AA pamphlet?

Is this a seriouspost?

Pamphlet as greeting or acknowledgement is pretty drat hosed up. The hug and tea were nice gestures except Luann herself w as being a bitch about it seconds before. Freshmen 15 is not loving alchoholism, though. She loving knows. If you want to help a friend like that you can be like Hey my gym buddy flaked out on me wanna go?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this is it everyone, the weakest burn ever laid to paper

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Dustin

That entire family, with the exception of Dustin, is various shade of rear end in a top hat. I can't read this strip anymore without getting pissed off.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

"Slavery! Of course!"

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Did Dawn go on a bender?

The Phantom

I looked this guy up but couldn't find anything about him but the fact that he's the Locust King and apparently an America Indian?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 25, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (February 10, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (March 8, 1924)

Lil' Abner (November 8, 1937)

Barney Google (March 12, 1923)

Alley Oop (June 11, 1934)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Different culture, what's the freshman fifteen? From Luann context it apparently means getting fifteen dickings in one night?

• Locked thread