Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Archer666 posted:

Right. I'll break it down then: I think PDP and Notch have a right to the money they legally earned by doing the work they did. They're dicks and need to get their poo poo together, but they still have a right to what they earned.

Ok so how much should Notch get for being the guy Microsoft negotiated with to pay for the work that other people did?

How much should PDP get for talking over the work that other people did?

Is their current compensation proportional to the work that they did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Who What Now posted:

I see the problem here. You think they earned that money for some reason.

Hey now, he might strike it lucky one day and stop being a temporarily embarrassed millionaire. He needs to stick up for rich arseholes now, in case he manages to become one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

Right. I'll break it down then: I think PDP and Notch have a right to the money they legally earned by doing the work they did. They're dicks and need to get their poo poo together, but they still have a right to what they earned.

He arguably earned what he made while "working" on minecraft. He didn't earn what microsoft paid him. But that's Microsoft's fault.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

He arguably earned what he made while "working" on minecraft

Argue it then, given that he didn't come up with the concept and the implementation he did come up with had to be fixed by other people. Do you think he deserves the payout that he got, given the amount of work he put in?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

You mean using the law to prohibit being rich?

That would depend on the tax rate.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

nah man gently caress that and remove tax credits for charity.
Just have the government do what charities are trying to fill the gaps in. Theyd be much better organized and be open to the full logistical prowess of a first world government.

No government is that efficient, I'm sure there will always be areas of need.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually governments can be plenty efficient to invalidate the need for almost all charity, people just don't want them to be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

twitter really needs to stop shadowbanning for swearing if they're not going to ban racists.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Somfin posted:

Ok so how much should Notch get for being the guy Microsoft negotiated with to pay for the work that other people did?

Regarde Aduck posted:

He arguably earned what he made while "working" on minecraft. He didn't earn what microsoft paid him. But that's Microsoft's fault.

In my opinion he earned that money by not only creating the game from scratch, but also co-founding the company that would maintain and expand up on his idea. Its hard to find information on what he was doing during his time at Mojang, but I'm almost certain it was a lot more than just his own lead programming duties.

Somfin posted:

How much should PDP get for talking over the work that other people did?

You mean how much worth is PDP's work cycle of daily recording and editing his work, alongside maintaining his brand and his numerous side-projects?

Somfin posted:

Is their current compensation proportional to the work that they did?

One guy's idea and work spawned a smash-hit video game that's still selling like hotcakes and the other guy found a goldmine by making silly videos that appeal to kids. Both of them could have hosed up royally and have been much worse off than they are now, but they haven't. I feel you're underestimating the amount of work they've done to get where they are.

Its a difficult question to answer, regardless. On one hand its obvious to say no, no work could ever be worth the amount that Notch earned. But on the other hand, seeing the reach of their work and how it has impacted on society and the fans it has spawned, its difficult for me to outright dismiss the idea too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you think that he went out and individually handed copies of minecraft to people you should be taking into account the very obvious fact that the success of minecraft depends on vastly more things than one dude having the idea.

Like if you drop baby notch in a field at birth and the end result 20 years later is still minecraft ex nihilo, then sure it's all his doing. Otherwise it's the product of everything that went into it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you think that he went out and individually handed copies of minecraft to people you should be taking into account the very obvious fact that the success of minecraft depends on vastly more things than one dude having the idea.

Like if you drop baby notch in a field at birth and the end result 20 years later is still minecraft ex nihilo, then sure it's all his doing. Otherwise it's the product of everything that went into it.

I was more thinking along of the lines of Minecraft starting as a solo-project that he worked on solo in 2008-2009. The idea and work of Minecraft began with him.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 24, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archer666 posted:

I was more thinking along of the lines of Minecraft starting as a solo-project that he worked on solo in 2008-2009. The idea and work of Minecraft began with him.

Well no the idea is ripped from infiniminer, and the very notion of computer programming is the result of enormous amounts of preceding labour done by other people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Archer666 posted:

One guy's idea and work spawned a smash-hit video game that's still selling like hotcakes and the other guy found a goldmine by making silly videos that appeal to kids. Both of them could have hosed up royally and have been much worse off than they are now, but they haven't. I feel you're underestimating the amount of work they've done to get where they are.

Its a difficult question to answer, regardless. On one hand its obvious to say no, no work could ever be worth the amount that Notch earned. But on the other hand, seeing the reach of their work and how it has impacted on society and the fans it has spawned, its difficult for me to outright dismiss the idea too.

why didn't he give the people that actually got minecraft to the 2 billion dollar level a cut?

and like owlfancier said minecraft was ripped off from infiniminer.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

Well no the idea is ripped from infiniminer, and the very notion of computer programming is the result of enormous amounts of preceding labour done by other people.

And to be honest it was successful in spite of notch rather than because of him.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
There's also the socialst/communist idea that you have to consider all work hours needed for any given work. The teachers that educated the programmers, the farmers who produced food, the factory workers that produced the necessary hardware, you get the idea. That's why you would ideally tax people like notch more in the 99% bracket, since the very idea that they alone earned their vast fortune is absurd.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Junkozeyne posted:

There's also the socialst/communist idea that you have to consider all work hours needed for any given work. The teachers that educated the programmers, the farmers who produced food, the factory workers that produced the necessary hardware, you get the idea. That's why you would ideally tax people like notch more in the 99% bracket, since the very idea that they alone earned their vast fortune is absurd.

That is precisely the angle I approach it from, it's staggeringly arrogant to ignore the vast amount of labour that goes into sustaining a society that can produce things and just reducing it to "well this guy had an idea and it's cos of him we have stuff"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

why didn't he give the people that actually got minecraft to the 2 billion dollar level a cut?

and like owlfancier said minecraft was ripped off from infiniminer.

He actually did give everyone at Mojang 2-3 million bucks. Not exactly a small amount, at least not compared to their regular salary.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

What if making if instead of making it illegal you just had a super high tax rate for the ultra wealthy but they could earn tax credits via using their money through philanthropy (but with some sort of verification system to make sure its not actually laundering or some fake charity BS like Trump engages in.)

There is no indication that the wealthy will be able to allocate their charity funds in a more useful way than the state or citizens. I mean, unless you're fine with billions of dollars going into religious "charities" that just turn into propaganda centers.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Junkozeyne posted:

We all sort of stand on the shoulders of society. Why should notch earn billions while the guy who taught him how to program might be an adjunct prof earning ~25,000/year. Literally, no man is an island in modern society, but we continue to treat our incredibly complicated web of interactions as a bunch of individual and self-contained transactions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Archer666 posted:

He actually did give everyone at Mojang 2-3 million bucks. Not exactly a small amount, at least not compared to their regular salary.

shoulda been like 100 per.

shaun shared this doozy of a tweet:

https://twitter.com/RoamingMil/status/911472250804690944

and in the replies what do i spy but this absolute loving gem:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/911689688011776000

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

In my opinion he earned that money by not only creating the game from scratch,

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Replace 'should be' with 'are' and it's a correct response.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Archer666 posted:

In my opinion he earned that money by not only creating the game from scratch, but also co-founding the company that would maintain and expand up on his idea. Its hard to find information on what he was doing during his time at Mojang, but I'm almost certain it was a lot more than just his own lead programming duties.

You mean how much worth is PDP's work cycle of daily recording and editing his work, alongside maintaining his brand and his numerous side-projects?

These criticisms of PDP and Notch seem to be more criticisms of capitalism since its capitalism that allows for them to be paid what the market thinks their work is worth and not what their critics think its worth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pewdiepie having any sort of success is a pretty big indictment of capitalism.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Pembroke Fuse posted:

There is no indication that the wealthy will be able to allocate their charity funds in a more useful way than the state or citizens. I mean, unless you're fine with billions of dollars going into religious "charities" that just turn into propaganda centers.

Well that's why I mentioned the idea of having rules that govern what charitable givings can be worth tax credits.

My thought behind this is that if we are taking away more of their wealth to run our society why not at least give them the perk of being able to have a say in what some of that money they earned goes towards (this is assuming we're talking about a market based economy still).

I'm thinking along the lines of like the stuff Bill Gates does in Africa.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're starting from the premise that they have a right to it in the first place and are owed some sort of compensation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fallenturtle posted:

My thought behind this is that if we are taking away more of their wealth to run our society why not at least give them the perk of being able to have a say in what some of that money they earned goes towards (this is assuming we're talking about a market based economy still).

because they didn't "earn" it. nobody can earn billions of dollars. there aren't enough hours in a lifetime.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

One of these days I'll do a YT video about how short buses have been unfairly used as a method of shame and expose all the non-special education related uses they have.

Full Disclosure: I rode a short bus for special education related transport when I was a little kid.

OwlFancier posted:

You're starting from the premise that they have a right to it in the first place and are owed some sort of compensation.

If there was some sort of agreement set up that he'll get X for doing Y, then yes, he is owed that compensation.

Groovelord Neato posted:

because they didn't "earn" it. nobody can earn billions of dollars. there aren't enough hours in a lifetime.

That assumes there's a max amount of money that can be earned per hour. You don't need a billion hours to earn 2 billion dollars if you're paid at the rate of 1 billion per hour. Folks are making GBS threads on PDP and Notch for basically being assholes, but when it comes to their wealth, isn't more the fault of those who are willing to pay for their services and/or product?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

NEW CONTRA POINTS! :neckbeard:

The Left

Contra posted:

Political videos tend not to be interpreted very charitably (I know this video is going to be upheld by centrists as evidence I’ve “gone full Antifa” and by leftists that I’m a closet centrist) so I’d better state unambiguously what I think.

The character Tabby represents a lot of what I think is wrong about leftist strategy: the indifference to optics, the undisguised hostility to the ideologically impure, the sectarian nitpicking, the alternation between extreme optimism (“a communist revolution can happen in the United States and it will go well if it does”) and extreme pessimism (“neoliberal propaganda has so tight a grip on the general public that why should we even bother trying to appeal to them?”), the blurring of lines between recognizing the necessity of violence in certain situations and the aesthetic celebration of violence as an end in itself. Nevertheless I try to represent Tabby with some sympathy, and anticipate that my viewers will like her—my audience is at least 95% trans Antifa cat girls, but I hope that doesn’t prevent them from thinking about the critique.

The character Justine is a mouthpiece for a lot of my complaints about the left, and the recipient of some leftist criticisms of me (“you go to brunch with these people?”), but I chose not to represent her as an attractive alternative. She’s complacent, frivolous, and ineffective, full of derision for the way other leftists do things but not contributing much for her own part either. When a fascist comes knocking on the door it’s better to have Tabby there than Justine. To see if Justine can put her money where her mouth is we’d have to see what speech she delivers following the fascist speech. This YouTube channel is effectively my attempt to make that speech, and I can’t be the one who judges how successful it is.

I haven't watched it yet though? Kind of in the middle of another thing. But yeah, When it comes to the first paragraph on Tabby and the Antifa, as much as I cheer them on. She's not wrong.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 24, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
contra’s characters are so loving good! i can’t decide which i love most (it’s cockbane)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Archer666 posted:

notch really hit the lottery, minecraft is a bad game from a code and design perspective but he was wildly successful with children which is why he got a massive payout

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm still chuckling at the idea that Notch shamelessly stole the idea wholesale and got other people to make it for him, but somehow he is the one most deserving of the money for the thing he's barely responsible for.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
forums project: let's kidnap and tortue pewdiepie/notch and then kill them for the crime of making money off media that's not targeted at us :twisted:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BigRed0427 posted:

NEW CONTRA POINTS! :neckbeard:

The Left

I haven't watched it yet though? Kind of in the middle of another thing. But yeah, When it comes to the first paragraph on Tabby and the Antifa, as much as I cheer them on. She's not wrong.

New Labor was already a thing and it was a loving disaster. She's in the same neighborhood as wrong.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dmitri-9 posted:

New Labor was already a thing and it was a loving disaster. She's in the same neighborhood as wrong.

I think there is a difference here. Not least the fact that Contra isn't thinking of herself as Tony Blair (which is always nice). There is no attempt to say that bashing Facists is neccesarily even bad, just that it can be quite insular in some parts. Sometimes you have to talk with people to change their mind, and its better done with people who don't almost exactly agree with you.

I don't always agree with her, but I find the whole series a very nice introduction for people getting into leftism. We may all have been there long beforehand, but it's a good intro. Alongside that the videos about trans stuff helped explain that to me in a basic way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Contra very much understands the need for self-defense. The chuds have been doxxing her. She knows she's pretty high on the list of kinds of people they want to kill.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

little munchkin posted:

forums project: let's kidnap and tortue pewdiepie/notch and then kill them for the crime of making money off media that's not targeted at us :twisted:

That's what you take away from this?

Notch is an idea thief.

PDP tells kids racism is cool.

They both make boatloads of money.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

business hammocks posted:

Contra very much understands the need for self-defense. The chuds have been doxxing her. She knows she's pretty high on the list of kinds of people they want to kill.

Urgh, I didn't know this.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Urgh, I didn't know this.

Yeah...drat, Contra is getting to? I shouldn't be shocked but... :(. THeres another Trans Artists, the girl that does Manic Pixie Nightmare Girl, who's getting her Facebook false flagged, to the point that Facebook ahs warned her that if it keeps happening shes going to be kicked off it for good. gently caress, I wanna do more to keep this poo poo from happening but I dont know what.

But as for the video, i'll repost what I mean fromt he Internet Critic thread.

BigRed0427 posted:

Same here. If I ever had to pick between these two I will pick the Antifa Cat girl every time. But I do get where Contra is coming from in her criticisms of her.

For Example, with regards to the PSL chapter I've been to a few meetings of. No one wants a war with North Korea. NOBODY. Millions will die and possible doom the planet for good. And I will champion everyday to make sure that never happens. What I am not going to do however is defend the Jim Kong family or the DPRK Government. Or pretend that North Korea is some kind of Utopia. Any government that demands worship of it's leaders under penalty of law is immediately suspect to me.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not sure how I feel about Contra's last video, I couldn't bear to watch the entire thing yet. It feels... Alienating? Not sure if that's the best way to describe it, just want to check if that's just me.

I like Contrapoints a lot, the Baltimore video is probably the one that made the biggest impression on me, tell me your favorite Contrapoints video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Her video on Gender DIsphoria. It's Not EXACTLY my experience with it but It's a great video on what realizing you are trans is like. Or at the very least realizing "Something not right wit my body. The gently caress?"

• Locked thread