Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Why would you tear up our existing welfare infrastructure when (if it were used correctly and not just to funnel money to job agencies) you could use it to better implement UBI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Because UBI is a trojan horse. It's going to go the same way as deinstitutionalisation, where the left and the right both agreed that keeping people in mental asylums was a bad idea but for very different reasons. Once the asylums were shut down and the former patients were out on the street the right stopped caring.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Because UBI is a trojan horse.

A trojan horse for what? What's lurking inside/behind it in your opinion?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nothing new or exciting, just further cuts to welfare and a shifting of responsibility from the state to individuals.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Hello, thread! How are you? I've been so busy. First I was busy making a comic, then I was busy recording an album to promote that comic. There was talk of bandcamp links in this thread, earlier in the month, so:

https://patrickalexander.bandcamp.com/album/tobias-and-jube-and-the-something-hat-mystery-the-euphonious-companion

And to keep it relevant, the first song I'm pushing is this one!

Most of the major characters from the comic have their own song on the album. This one's a sort of worldbuilding-y side story about Leroy, a wizard, trying to teach magic to his apprentice dad. Dad has learned everything but, just like a dad, isn't willing to complete any magic spells by kissing a man. Such an easy thing to do, such a small and simple act, and the results would be literally magical; the world would be filled with colour and wonders; it is within his merest grasp, but, nup. He's just not gonna do it. Jesus christ, Dad.

Get it? GET IT???

Anyway — please listen and enjoy! And pass it along if you want to. I'm gonna try to push this at radio stations too, when I have the time. It's just me promoting this so I have to do it bit by bit, whenever and however. But it would be fun and cool to hear that these songs were on Triple J or something.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

One of the great contemporary arguments to throw at conservatives is the idea that money in a modern economy is basically an unlimited resource which is only constrained by how fast we want to create it. If you consider an economy the size of Australia a single dollar is almost (but not quite) meaningless in the grand scheme of things, so it is trivial to just create more of them.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
IF UBI also applied to children, following a simple increasing by age amount until they reach 16/18/20 (whatever was decided). Then single Mom needs more help would be less of an issue. Not to mention, how does an MP not see tax, or tax credits as a way of getting around giving a CEO a UBI as well?

As for bringing robots into it, we have to. They are literally stomping along the horizon. We will soon have driverless cars (they already exist, we just need to legislate them).

How many jobs will cease to exist?

Taxi, uber, chaffeur, truck driver, mobile ad truck driver. Truck driver.

How many truck drivers are there in Australia? Menial labour jobs are on the way out, supervisor jobs are on the way in. There will either be less jobs as we move to a robot slave economy, in which case, only the rich will benefit, or we will need to create new creativity based jobs and mitigate the issues caused by automation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People are being displaced by technology now, and have been for centuries. Any idea that is a good idea with robots is a good idea without robots.

The same predictions that are currently being made about robots were previously made about every new technology from the loom to computers and most people still work. Framing this as a technological rather than a political issue is missing the point, and it gives right wing people an opportunity to make 'there is no alternative' arguments.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

People are being displaced by technology now, and have been for centuries. Any idea that is a good idea with robots is a good idea without robots.

The same predictions that are currently being made about robots were previously made about every new technology from the loom to computers and most people still work. Framing this as a technological rather than a political issue is missing the point, and it gives right wing people an opportunity to make 'there is no alternative' arguments.

It's true that this has been happening for centuries, but I feel like the rate of change and the potential scope is unprecedented and will challenge the way individuals exist within an economy and the way in which we view the idea of "work".

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't disagree, I just don't see what's novel about it. The way people work now is very different to the way people worked 50 years ago, and the way people worked 50 years ago was very different to the way people worked 50 years before that.

Companies like Uber and others in the 'gig economy' are a far greater threat to workers' rights than robots will ever be.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
So Labor man is concerned about single mom's even though last time Labor were in government, they specifically made newstart changes that were a huge negative for single moms doing it tough (though tbf he wasn't actually sitting in parliament at the time)

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Gillard has since stated repeatedly that she regrets that (even though regretting it now does not change things lol). Those changes were made on the same day as her misogyny speech FYI.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Cruel Irony: LJ Hooker Girl Unlikely To Ever Own A Home

She was the golden girl of ‘90s Australian ad breaks, the optimistic face that told budding first home buyers that they could do it.

As times change, it becomes clear that no one can escape the crushing waves of the Australian housing crisis. None less than Jessica Clarke, famously known as the L J Hooker girl, who this week it has been revealed, is likely to never own a home.

“On my salary? Fat chance.” said the 28 year old waitress in an exclusive interview with The Betoota Advocate. “Maybe if I’d made some royalties off those ads they used of me for loving 15 years.”

When asked about compensation, Clarke informed us she was allowed to keep the teddy bear from the now iconic TV commercial. “Yeah,” she sighed. “Thank you Mr Hooker. Not.”

A nursing student, Clarke hopes to be able to afford her own home, although she is not overly optimistic. She feels the egalitarian housing market presented in the famous family-friendly ad campaign is now about as penetrable as the audiences they were once able to reach on evening television.

“Maybe if I was paying $50K for it like those fake parents of mine did in 1996. Maybe then I could afford a house instead of a crappy terrace house I share with four strungout artist and six stray cats.”

When asked if her image spurred an increase in property purchasing, leading to the current housing crisis Clarke refused to comment.

“I can’t think about that man. I won’t be able to sleep tonight if I do.”

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/advocate-in-focus/cruel-irony-lj-hooker-girl-unlikely-ever-home/

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NE
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-25/border-collie-gathering-fundraising-effort/8980734

quote:

A colossal number of border collies have set tails, but also tongues, wagging north of Adelaide, creating what their owners say is a world record in the process.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think there's a religion about this.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aaah I want to be at the dog festival

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so who was behind the yes vote SMS?

how did they get everyones number?

why is there no contact information to request unsubscribing?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So, Australian Space Agency - legitimate attempt at something good or just adding an additional layer of bureaucracy?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Laserface posted:

I gave it to them

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Laserface posted:

It's not a commercial message so doesn't have to.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you got a yes vote SMS it means your kids have been signed up to safe schools.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

The numbers were randomly generated, there is nothing to unsubscribe from

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Laserface posted:

Australian Marriage Equality sent them using a randomised computer generator. It's been compared to the robocalls the no campaign is using to bullshit about boys in dresses

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Re: Communicating with Chinese Australians

Launched today: https://cn.theaustralian.com.au/

We are all hosed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

We are all hosed.

Are they automatically translating their articles? Chromes translation works perfectly on that which is a little odd.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

Are they automatically translating their articles? Chromes translation works perfectly on that which is a little odd.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if this is just machine translated.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

So, Australian Space Agency - legitimate attempt at something good or just adding an additional layer of bureaucracy?

No idea. Apparently in past we had some legal problems that blocked commercial spaceflight from operating well in Australia so hopefully this will help with that.

In theory Australia is actually a fantastic place for a space industry. We're rich and have a high-tech, highly educated base along with mainland territories within 11 degrees of the equator, which is a huge launch advantage. A Cape York spaceport could be extremely competitive.

So now we watch politics go and pork the launch site to South Australia.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

The numbers were randomly generated, there is nothing to unsubscribe from

I wonder if there is any record of if a number was a hit or not.

I mean, I voted yes, but much like skywriting I dont think anyone swayed by it was ever going to vote yes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Turnbull might be undond by a lot of hot air

quote:

The looming gas crisis is three times worse than previously thought, according to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who has ordered gas giants and state governments to shore up gas supplies to east coast consumers or face strict export limits.

Mr Turnbull on Monday said the government had received two reports on the east coast gas market from the Australian Energy Market Operator and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, showing the gas shortfalls in the east coast domestic market "will be considerably higher than that estimated six months ago".

"It's estimated there will be a shortfall ... of around 110 petajoules of gas, more than three times the figure we were advised earlier in the year," Mr Turnbull said.

"The recent rises in the cost of gas are the ... single biggest factor in the current rise in electricity prices [because] gas sets the wholesale electricity price."

Mr Turnbull said the gas market was not functioning well and the government's controversial limits on gas exports are "ready to go".

He urged gas exporters and state governments, which have implemented gas moratoriums, to show how the shortfall will be met, or else the mechanism would be invoked.

The limits, known as the Australian Domestic Gas Supply Mechanism, were introduced on July 1 and allow the government to intervene to ensure sufficient supply of natural gas to meet the predicted needs of Australian consumers. It would require LNG projects that draw gas from the domestic market to limit exports, or find offsetting sources of new gas.

Mr Turnbull said the policy was "without precedent. It is an indication of how seriously we take our responsibility of ensuring that Australians will not pay more for gas than they need to".

Gas exporters are staunchly opposed to the measure, which they say creates a sovereign risk.

Mr Turnbull said he had been in talks with the chief executives of major gas exporters and "we expect them to demonstrate to us ... [that] they will ensure that there is not a shortage of gas next year on the east coast".

He also pointed to a "comprehensive failure" by some state governments to develop gas resources.

"Queensland is producing most of the gas on the east coast of Australia. But both Victoria and New South Wales are not doing enough," he said.

Both states have implemented gas moratoriums in the face of strong community opposition to the industry.

Mr Turnbull also blamed Labor for allowing gas exports from Queensland and failing to protect the interests of domestic customers.

In a statement prior to the announcement, Labor said it had repeatedly called on the government to pull the gas trigger "to provide some urgent relief to households and businesses" on power bills.

Labor's energy spokesman Mark Butler and resources spokesman Tim Hammond said Mr Turnbull had failed to meet a promise made in April to halve gas prices, which were then sitting at $20 a gigajoule.

"This out-of-touch Prime Minister has refused to act and as a result Australians are paying the price with skyrocketing power bills," the statement said.

Labor says the Prime Minister has ignored "serious questions" surrounding the legitimacy of decisions, made by Resources Minister Barnaby Joyce, who is embroiled in Parliament's citizenship fiasco before the High Court, and may not be eligible to sit in Parliament.

It called on the government to release any legal advice it has received on Mr Joyce's eligibility to make decisions, such as the potential gas trigger.

"The longer Malcolm Turnbull allows Barnaby Joyce to cling to his Ministerial roles, the more uncertainty will undermine Australian industry and Australian families who are looking for urgent action to address the gas crisis," Labor said.

Anidav posted:

We are all hosed.

loving hell this is becoming more and more clear the right has seen the writing on the wall and we're not playing catch up

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Laserface posted:

I mean, I voted yes, but much like skywriting I dont think anyone swayed by it was ever going to vote yes.

I was out at lunch with friends when it came through. In a group of 4 of us the only one who got it is a NZ citizen lol

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
More coal!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

This is something that has made sense in the Australian scientific community for a long time. We have expertise in space tracking and observation, a long history of international scientific collaboration, as well as a large pool of educated engineers, an advanced industrial capacity, and the means to educate people into the industry. We also have the right geographic conditions, so it makes sense to close the loop and become fully vertically integrated, from design, to production, launch and maintenance.

The issue will as always come down to funding. Will this be a public venture with support from new local businesses, or will it simply be a means to funnel tax incentives and loans to companies like SpaceX. This is coming from the party that butchered the NBN to appease corporate interests, so I'm not holding my breath. Actions speak louder than words. So let's see if they will actually put in the money to build a space launch centre first.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I reckon they will absolutely fund it properly because interplanetary colonisation is the only solution to climate change the wealthy can stomach.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did someone say Australian space program?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

I reckon they will absolutely fund it properly because interplanetary colonisation is the only solution to climate change the wealthy can stomach.

I'm sensing a solution to the housing affordability crisis

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Laserface posted:

The whole driving point for the 'Yes' campaign, or at least a major part of it, has been to get out the vote. I don't think automated contacts like this work well, but I can see the logic of it being a way to get into contact with people that just can't be feasibly contacted in any more targeted way. For example I'm not on many lists, live in a fourteen-floor apartment building with a lot of security, and don't use any major public transport stations; that rules out targeted mailouts, local letterboxing, doorknocking, phonebanking in almost all cases (political parties would have my number from the electoral roll), and stalls at stations, which are most of the good tactics, and only really leaves you with inefficient ways to actually talk to me to get your message out. But all that text was trying to do was remind people; most of Australia supports marriage equality, but most Australians are also lazy, and that mass text just might remind them to actually go down to the postbox. Granted, it probably also pissed off a bunch of 'No' voters into getting off their asses too.

It is comparable to the 'No' campaign's robocalls, yes, but I think it's a bit more effective at its goal. The robocalls were push-polling, which requires far more engagement and attention span from the other end and is trying to convince people in a way that's totally unsuited for it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The whole driving point for the 'Yes' campaign, or at least a major part of it, has been to get out the vote. I don't think automated contacts like this work well, but I can see the logic of it being a way to get into contact with people that just can't be feasibly contacted in any more targeted way. For example I'm not on many lists, live in a fourteen-floor apartment building with a lot of security, and don't use any major public transport stations; that rules out targeted mailouts, local letterboxing, doorknocking, phonebanking in almost all cases (political parties would have my number from the electoral roll), and stalls at stations, which are most of the good tactics, and only really leaves you with inefficient ways to actually talk to me to get your message out. But all that text was trying to do was remind people; most of Australia supports marriage equality, but most Australians are also lazy, and that mass text just might remind them to actually go down to the postbox. Granted, it probably also pissed off a bunch of 'No' voters into getting off their asses too.

It is comparable to the 'No' campaign's robocalls, yes, but I think it's a bit more effective at its goal. The robocalls were push-polling, which requires far more engagement and attention span from the other end and is trying to convince people in a way that's totally unsuited for it.

On the other hand, sending an uninvited text message is largely being labelled as an invasion of privacy and as someone who values privacy beyond 'got nothing to hide then nothing to worry about' I found it a little annoying, especially considering that there is probably a lot of cross-over between Privacy advocates and SSM advocates. It shouldnt be lost on them how this comes across to the public.

I mean the whole loving thing is a shitshow from top to bottom and we shouldnt have to tell our elected officials how we want the country to be run and here we are with people on both sides of the argument using lovely tactics to push an agenda.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

G-Spot Run posted:

Fire the wealthy into the sun Kuiper belt.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

A 22-year-old woman was left terrified on Sunday night after a man hurled rocks through the window of her Brisbane home and yelled homophobic slurs.

Olivia Hill and her housemate Larissa Baldwin had decorated their home with rainbow signs supporting a "yes" vote in Australia's same-sex marriage postal survey.

Hill was home alone on Sunday night and had just gone to sleep when she heard banging outside her bedroom at around 11.40pm.

"My room is at the front of the house," she told BuzzFeed News. "You can hear everything that goes on.

"As soon as [my] dog started barking, [the man outside] was like, 'What is this loving poo poo?' about the signs. He said, 'You loving faggots, you loving poofters'.

I'm sure this will receive just as much coverage and condemnation as Abbott's fat lip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Laserface posted:

On the other hand, sending an uninvited text message is largely being labelled as an invasion of privacy and as someone who values privacy beyond 'got nothing to hide then nothing to worry about' I found it a little annoying, especially considering that there is probably a lot of cross-over between Privacy advocates and SSM advocates. It shouldnt be lost on them how this comes across to the public.

I mean the whole loving thing is a shitshow from top to bottom and we shouldnt have to tell our elected officials how we want the country to be run and here we are with people on both sides of the argument using lovely tactics to push an agenda.

Oh yeah, I should say I don't think it's a good idea for them to do it like this. I'm just pointing out the logic behind doing so.

I think we're seeing issues with an optional voting campaign in a country that's not used to or prepared for it. Campaigns don't know quite where the lines are for doing a get out the vote campaign, and the general public doesn't really have enough experience with it to know either until somebody crosses it.

• Locked thread