Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd argue that there really isn't a point to playing them past the first one, because they all have the same plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Grapplejack posted:

I'd argue that there really isn't a point to playing them past the first one, because they all have the same plot.

At least the first game had actual cases to solve and not the random bullshit the second game had.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The second game basically killed any interest I had in the series

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the 2nd game was better

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi it's been a while since i've posted but i haven't played much games in a while. but I did decide to tank my steamcompletionist by adding a shitload of my dormant humble bundle/bundle stars keys. even after doing that, my steamcompletionist only dipped from 76.9% to 73.7%. i added:

A Robot Named Fight
Alphadia Genesis
Brigador
Crimzon Clover World Ignition
Dead Rising 2: OTR
DmC
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Dreambreak
else Heart.Break()
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
Evoland 2
Explodemon
Flat Heroes
GoNNER
Grim Dawn
HackyZack
Hotline Miami 2
Jumpjet Rex
Livelock
Lost Planet 3
Luna's Wandering Stars
Manos the Hands of Fate: The Game
Metrico+
Memodora Reverie Under the Moonlight
Nongunz
Nuclear Throne
Overcooked
Poncho
Puddle
Replay: VHS is Not Dead
Resident Evil HD
Resident Evil 0 HD
Resident Evil 6
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
Schrodinger's Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
STANDBY
Subnautica
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
The Flame in the Flood
The Last Door Season 2
Tiny Echo
Train Valley
War for the Overworld
Worms WMD

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

hi it's been a while since i've posted but i haven't played much games in a while. but I did decide to tank my steamcompletionist by adding a shitload of my dormant humble bundle/bundle stars keys. even after doing that, my steamcompletionist only dipped from 76.9% to 73.7%. i added:

A Robot Named Fight
Alphadia Genesis
Brigador
Crimzon Clover World Ignition
Dead Rising 2: OTR
DmC
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Dreambreak
else Heart.Break()
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
Evoland 2
Explodemon
Flat Heroes
GoNNER
Grim Dawn
HackyZack
Hotline Miami 2
Jumpjet Rex
Livelock
Lost Planet 3
Luna's Wandering Stars
Manos the Hands of Fate: The Game
Metrico+
Memodora Reverie Under the Moonlight
Nongunz
Nuclear Throne
Overcooked
Poncho
Puddle
Replay: VHS is Not Dead
Resident Evil HD
Resident Evil 0 HD
Resident Evil 6
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
Schrodinger's Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
STANDBY
Subnautica
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
The Flame in the Flood
The Last Door Season 2
Tiny Echo
Train Valley
War for the Overworld
Worms WMD

at least seven of these games are worth playing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm also looking at point & click and FMV games in general lately, for the next steam sale batch buy

but in addition to that, seeing what P&C games are not available on steam/GOG/amazon/etc, and seeing if they're on archive.org for free -- they usually are, thank you DMCA exemption

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't even know there was a Lost Planet 3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't even know there was a Lost Planet 3.
its the DmC of lost planet games

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

....So what you guys are saying is that i've made a terrible mistake getting DRV3?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

....So what you guys are saying is that i've made a terrible mistake getting DRV3?

I'm sure it'll be fine

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Grouchio posted:

If it's anything like 2, yes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just got tender loving care from GOG and I don't think it's even that great but I'm just feelin the FMV fever right now. gettin hot for tex murphy poisoned pawn, and waiting for the journeyman project remasters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

do you like danganronpa

if yes, you are probably ok

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh man I didn't know they were making another tex murphy, I figured they wouldn't after tesla effect. and it has VR support?? holy crap

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

oh man I didn't know they were making another tex murphy, I figured they wouldn't after tesla effect. and it has VR support?? holy crap
it's basically a do-over of Overseer (which was itself a reimagining of the early Tex games) with much better visuals, 4K filming, I'm assuming a completely revamped script that hooks into Tesla Effect and the next game, and (should) have new areas/puzzles

I dunno how some of the michael york stuff will get transposed into the game, since Overseer certainly was not filmed in 4K. I definitely saw new areas in some of the updates but also stuff from Overseer like the fuckin "the floor is lava" art room

They also plan on doing one last Tex Murphy game after Poisoned Pawn that'll wrap everything up

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I preordered it too and hopefully it will continue the trend of each successive game being better than the last

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's GotM?

The XCOM 2 expansion is really, really good if you so much as "kinda liked" the base game. The new stuff is quite exciting and it all feels good and balanced

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

What's GotM?

The XCOM 2 expansion is really, really good if you so much as "kinda liked" the base game. The new stuff is quite exciting and it all feels good and balanced

My game of the month is gonna be Darkest Dungeon because it loving rules. I've already got The Evil Within 2 lined up for next month

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Jay Rust posted:

What's GotM?

Personally I'd say Yakuza for me since it came out so close to the end of August, but I'm also really digging Death of the Outsider so far. Dishonored's good as hell.

OH but also Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice just got ported in hd to android and ios,so thats up there too

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 25, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Samus Returns is GotM

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't played it yet, but probably Knack II

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hey look over there its game of the month september 2017, heat signature

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ys 8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't believe Total Warhammer II comes out this month, I just got the first one like a couple months ago and haven't even played much of it

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just got tender loving care from GOG and I don't think it's even that great but I'm just feelin the FMV fever right now. gettin hot for tex murphy poisoned pawn, and waiting for the journeyman project remasters

Oh man, the Journeyman Project. That really hit the triple threat of showing you what it's like to die by drowning, suffocating, and getting poisoned

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 25, 2017

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
actually wait RUINER comes out this week

well

https://youtu.be/in5J5qbrY9M

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

They have the same "plot" in the same way Phoenix Wright has the same plot. It's the characters that are important and the sequel definitely has a better cast although it's basically cheating.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom 2: WotC is so good I've already completed two campaigns of it and am in the process of doing a third. Probably will stop after finishing this one but I could keep going honestly.

There's been so much good poo poo this year.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

psychoJ posted:

OH but also Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice just got ported in hd to android and ios,so thats up there too

Gonna put down the entire series as GoTM since I thought they'd only been ported to iOS. gently caress yeah!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

My game of the month is gonna be Darkest Dungeon because it loving rules. I've already got The Evil Within 2 lined up for next month

I'm going through Evil Within 1 even though I saw your LP and explanation vid a while back. It's pretty good. I wasn't hyped for it when it came out and I just stuck it on my wishlist and I finally took the plunge after seeing it on sale for the millionth time.

psychoJ posted:

actually wait RUINER comes out this week

well

https://youtu.be/in5J5qbrY9M

This looks pretty dope.

The game I'm waiting for most is Wolfenstein: New Colossus. Probably the only thing I'm really hyped for at the moment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I preordered it too and hopefully it will continue the trend of each successive game being better than the last
I heard it was Japan's favorite game of the three.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was looking forward to secret of mana but then they said they won't put in online co-op and it's like wtf

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've been playing Arkanoid vs Space Invaders on the train and it's one of the best game mash-ups I've tried. They even went the extra mile and added anime companions for the hell of it. Big win.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

i was looking forward to secret of mana but then they said they won't put in online co-op and it's like wtf

as long as they just make general combat improvements it'll still probably be better than the original

secret of mana is a very pretty game but that combat system has aged worse than final fantasy adventure somehow

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

as long as they just make general combat improvements it'll still probably be better than the original

secret of mana is a very pretty game but that combat system has aged worse than final fantasy adventure somehow

I've come to terms that the Mana series is the most inconsistent beloved series. Nobody really talks about the first game in any of its iterations except to laugh at how overly wordy Sword is describing the antics of a character named DarkLord. Secret is beloved but it's a buggy mess with an awful magic grinding system and under the hood it's mashed potatoes. SD3 is better but you can build your characters into a wall as class upgrades can remove important spells permanently. I swear by Legend of Mana because I got into roleplaying around the same time and the free form design informed my RP style but it's piss easy and your choices don't matter. I actually found someone who likes Children, the totally not-Diablo game. I've literally never met anyone who likes the PS2 game, which has a lot in common with Kingdoms of Amalur, or that RTS game. And are people playing those mobile titles?

gently caress, give Mana to Vanillaware. Odin Sphere isn't too far removed from a Mana game in aesthetics or style and I think the top down action is kind of wasted on the series. Legend was at least trying to be a beat 'em up instead of a weird action hybrid with fake hit boxes and spells that freeze everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
speaking of things that rip off the basic structure of secret of mana,

i like these more densely-packed trees better imo. why aren't they also behind the cliff? because the cliff is on layer -9996 but the tree is on layer -<y position> :ssh:

al-azad posted:

or that RTS game.

that's because the rts game was irredeemable. it felt okay in the beginning, but after the number of units on the field starts to increase past a certain number, the game runs into insane clock speed problems and you lose your actions if certain frames are dropped. and it's always skipping your action frames

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 25, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

But seriously, whoever came up with the idea to let you bounce Space Invaders' projectiles back at them using Arkanoid mechanics is a cool person.

Are there other examples of good mash-up games?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Palpek posted:

But seriously, whoever came up with the idea to let you bounce Space Invaders' projectiles back at them using Arkanoid mechanics is a cool person.

Are there other examples of good mash-up games?

I hear people go crazy for Puyo Puyo Tetris

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Thank you to the folks who recommended Stellaris to me, I'm having a nice time leading my crab people towards a space utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've been too busy buying games to play anything in September. Destiny 2, Divinity original sin 2, Samus Returns, xcom expansion, and other poo poo I don't remember. I'll prob pick Ruiner for game of the month because games like that are exactly my poo poo.

• Locked thread