Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I'm in total Halloween mode after drinking a few pints of Pumpkin Beer (Don't judge me, I loving love everything fall/octoberfest/Halloween) and I'm in the mood for some old school horror games. Because of this thread I am now reinstalling "They Hunger" since it's been over a decade since I last played it. Any other suggestions for old school FPS horror mods/games I should look at? I'll probably give System Shock 2 another go once it's on sale.

*edit*

Also maybe I'm dumb (or just drunk) but I cannot figure how to launch They Hunger for the steam version of half life. What I find online says to install in the steamapps\common\Half-Life folder. THEN to create a shortcut of hl.exe and run it with the "-game hunger" parameters. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. If I change the "target" shortcut to include this parameter, I get an error.

*edit 2*

I figured it out. I followed this youtube guide (thank God somoene created this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAOJ4X1Qho

You have to install They Hunger in the Common\Half Life folder. Run the steam patch (its in Spanish) and also point it to the common\half-life folder, then run another fix found on moddb called They Hunger [SteamPipe Patch] v1.1. Time to get scared like its 1999.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Keiya posted:

Dumb question about modding: do any of the Quake engine variants support Half-Life style level transitions? Valve is baffled that anyone would want to work with goldsrc anymore, to the point that even they recommend 'just use Quake' whenever anyone mentions a bug in the thing (or getting a source code release, for that matter... when they're not claiming they lost the source code.)

(Heck, I could probably abuse Doom maps enough to pull off the stupid thing I'm imagining if any of those have it working.)
It's been a while so I could be mis-remembering, but doesn't Hexen 2 have level transitions like this?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Let us be glad for the awkward looking 3D models in these HD-upgrade packs, lest we forget that it could always be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJnl1QIRGA

edit: The "shotgun" that is just a rifle the fires 7 bullets really fast is still my favorite

Digging a few weeks back here but these inspired me to fire up UE4 and fart around a bit and it finally looks neat enough to show off (though E1M1 is still a work in progress and it's WAAAAAAY too dark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHL6KTW0dRE

I dunno if this would count as a remake or a port if it got finished though...

e: Funny how much better it looks running outside the editor. :stare: (Click for big.)

Gaudy as gently caress, but neat! :science:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 25, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I'm in total Halloween mode after drinking a few pints of Pumpkin Beer (Don't judge me, I loving love everything fall/octoberfest/Halloween) and I'm in the mood for some old school horror games. Because of this thread I am now reinstalling "They Hunger" since it's been over a decade since I last played it. Any other suggestions for old school FPS horror mods/games I should look at? I'll probably give System Shock 2 another go once it's on sale.

*edit*

Also maybe I'm dumb (or just drunk) but I cannot figure how to launch They Hunger for the steam version of half life. What I find online says to install in the steamapps\common\Half-Life folder. THEN to create a shortcut of hl.exe and run it with the "-game hunger" parameters. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. If I change the "target" shortcut to include this parameter, I get an error.

You shouldn't need to do anything after putting the files into the Half-Life folder. Just restart Steam and it should be an option there waiting for you. There's also Cthulhu for Half-Life. I really like Haunted Nukem, there's supposed to be an update coming out soon. Also there's a few Aliens mods for Duke3D, I've been enjoying Alien Extermination and it's gotten a few jumps from me. And Dracula's Castle for Duke3D is a light Halloween map, I quite enjoy it and it is, as far as I know, the only released bit of a proposed "Duke Spook'Em" mod that I'm still hopeful for. Of course, there's always Blood mods, DeathWish is fantastic and there's an update for it coming out soon too. Strange Aeons for Doom is pretty good too. I hope some other people chime in too, I also love Halloween.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Horror stuff

Not necessarily what you're looking for, but I was talking about Nightmare House 2 being a PITA to get running these days. It turns out it's really not bad. Everything you need to do is in the readme, and it's like 2 or 3 steps. Setting a beta option in one of the Source things on steam.

I played through the whole thing with zero issues, and it was even updated since the last time I played it.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Playing through horror games in Fall, getting drunk off my rear end on pumpkin beer, is my poo poo.

It can't just be any horror for me though. It's gotta be that Gothic, ghostly, spiritual Halloween horror. It's gotta have zombies, ghosts, old dusty mansions, candelabras, and poltergeists.

Blood is the most Halloween game I know without it taking place in Halloween. It's schlocky, but can actually be creepy. It's gory as all hell, there's tons of homages to classic horror movies without being in your face, and it's just a ton of visceral fun. If you've already played Blood, Death Wish is like the sequel that the game deserved.

Clive Barker's Undying is right up there with Blood. There's skeletons, ghosts, spirit orbs, monsters, everything you need for a good spooky horror experience. Most of the game takes place in a gigantic rickety wooden mansion along the coasts of Ireland. The combat is phenomenal and you can get a ton of weapons and spooky spells at your disposal, AND you can dual wield them. There's one point when you can load your double-barrel shotgun up with white phosphorous shells so you can set gargoyles on fire. That game kicks rear end.

Afraid of Monsters isn't strictly Halloween, since it's not really Gothic and more modern in design, but my god is it one unnerving experience. Probably the best actual horror Half-Life mod out there.

Survive in Catacombs is a bit of an obscure Half-Life mod, but it hits all the right notes. Everything is dusty and archaic, you're alone with a few guns and the army of the undead. However I found it crashes quite a bit on my PC. You might have better luck.

Painkiller's not a horror game by any means but it's still a badass Halloween game to play.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Effective guns and horror aren't really things that mesh very well together.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Klaus88 posted:

Effective guns and horror aren't really things that mesh very well together.

Nah. Ammo scarcity and enemy lethality can carry a lot of the weight there; Alien vs. Predator has amazing gunfeel and is probably one of the scariest loving games of all time.

e: I'm talking about the '99 Rebellion one with the instakill gently caress-you facehuggers, not the newish one or the old Jaguar game, btw

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Demonsteele fits ninja movies, hnd fits westerns, maybe a pulpy scifi or fantasy weaponset?
Fantasy would be cool. There's a lot of gunbangshooty weaponsets, even sci-fi stuff. Not a lot of pure magic stuff. It's either guns and magic, guns that shoot magic, or magic guns.

Lemon-Lime posted:

A new Demonsteele update? :v:
Man, I want to. I really wish I could. :(

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Fantasy would be cool. There's a lot of gunbangshooty weaponsets, even sci-fi stuff. Not a lot of pure magic stuff. It's either guns and magic, guns that shoot magic, or magic guns.

yeah trawling through every mod i could find I only found stuff like guncaster and lithium. doom is sorely lacking a good wizard. combining elements/spell forms like that magicka game would be cool, although probably super difficult to code.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

TerminusEst13 posted:

I've been playing my way all the way through Heretic (with some Brutal whatever because I need oomphy weapons) and I was wondering if anyone tried a Heretic II demake in Doom, third person and all.

Otherwise, I'd love something Hereticish, maybe with more staff-related melee options?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would vote for a cheesy 50's sci-fi theme for a new doom wad, honestly

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Lork posted:

It's been a while so I could be mis-remembering, but doesn't Hexen 2 have level transitions like this?

It doesn't. You can backtrack, but it doesn't even try to make it seamless, it just plops you in the next map near the door back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh no. :( What's stopping you, or is it just the amount of time needed?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

*edit*

*edit 2*

I figured it out. I followed this youtube guide (thank God somoene created this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAOJ4X1Qho

You have to install They Hunger in the Common\Half Life folder. Run the steam patch (its in Spanish) and also point it to the common\half-life folder, then run another fix found on moddb called They Hunger [SteamPipe Patch] v1.1. Time to get scared like its 1999.

Realms of the Haunting was just made for drunk Autumn scary game binges. It's got your stereotypical plot of "dude inherits a big spooky mansion from a mysterious uncle" or something and it blends FPS and adventure gameplay.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Realms of the Haunting is a game I really want to play but the controls always put me off. Is there a source port or something for it?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissCM posted:

Has there ever been a case of a game switching physics engines mid-development?

Rust changed game engines (unity to unreal I think) while it was in development.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Rust changed game engines (unity to unreal I think) while it was in development.
Rust is still on Unity, but at one point they threw out all the old code (since it was built on top of two abandoned prototypes and generally an unmaintainable mess) and rewrote everything from scratch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was mainly asking because I was unsure if there had been a case of assets and level designs being designed with one physics engine in mind being swapped to another one. I'm not familiar with them at all, I'd have to assume it'd be more complicated than say, swapping renderers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guillermus posted:

Realms of the Haunting is a game I really want to play but the controls always put me off. Is there a source port or something for it?

When Supergreatfriend did his let's play series on it, he used a PS4 controller with the buttons mapped to keyboard keys and the TouchPad mapped to the mouse pointer to make the game much more playable.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Here's a post that will help loving nobody.

If for some ungodly reason you find yourself playing Quake on N64 like I did this past summer, go into the custom control configuration and rebind it as such. You'll be able to zip around with something close to the speed you are used to.

Forward and Back: DPad Up, Down
Strafe Left, Right: Dpad Left, Right
Jump: Left Shoulder
Shoot: Right Shoulder
Aim Up: C Down
Aim Down: C Up (I like my poo poo inverted on controller, you can swap this as needed)
Aim Left: C Left
Aim Right: C Right

The stick goes unused. Always run is enabled.

With this setup, N64 Quake actually felt pretty decent.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sdoots posted:

If for some ungodly reason you find yourself playing Quake on N64 like I did this past summer, go into the custom control configuration and rebind it as such. You'll be able to zip around with something close to the speed you are used to.

Aim Down: C Up (I like my poo poo inverted on controller, you can swap this as needed)

I always played it using the default controls and I liked it that way :colbert:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I tended to play it like Goldeneye's Solitaire - C-buttons move, analog aims, Z fires, R jumps, A/B swap weapons. A little clumsy given the southpaw arrangement of movement and looking, but still...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

I tended to play it like Goldeneye's Solitaire - C-buttons move, analog aims, Z fires, R jumps, A/B swap weapons. A little clumsy given the southpaw arrangement of movement and looking, but still...

So... Turok controls, then?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So... Turok controls, then?
Probably a more succinct way to put it in retrospect, yes.

I play Doom 64 the same way, though with that one, you can't disable the vertical axis of the analog stick being forward/back (even though the C-buttons have that covered), which is as annoying as it sounds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

Probably a more succinct way to put it in retrospect, yes.

I play Doom 64 the same way, though with that one, you can't disable the vertical axis of the analog stick being forward/back (even though the C-buttons have that covered), which is as annoying as it sounds.

I remember hating how Turok demanded that control scheme, but then I tried playing Perfect Dark with it, and now can't (and no one SHOULD!) play it otherwise. The stick is the closest thing you can get to a mouse with the N64 controller, might as well use it to look. Plus, as it gets used, it doesn't compromise your max run speed. :colbert:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I had a friend who had golden eye but only had one controller, so somehow he used the steering wheel he had when we played versus, he still kicked my rear end. :saddowns:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvzan3IQoac

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Those textures though. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

This is fantastic.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Video games are the best, you guys.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Sdoots posted:

These days I only play N64 games on and emulator cause I hate the pad. Perfect Dark is great when you can map it like a regular modern twin stick shooter.

:eyepop:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Just from what's in this trailer, this is already the best 3D Castlevania ever made. :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Guillermus posted:

If you're playing the GOG release, there should be a patch on the the GOG forums that'll patch it to the US version, which I believe gives you the option of re-configuring the controls. (It might work on the Steam release as well.)

The US version also lets you choose the difficult for the combat and for the puzzles, somewhat similarly to how System Shock 1 handled its difficulty settings.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

realms of the haunting is one of those few things where i'd honestly just recommend watching someone else play through it, because it's pretty neat overall but boy is it a loving pain to actually try and go through yourself. supergreatfriend's lp of it is probably one of the most, if not the most, comprehensive playthroughs of the game out there. in a way it's cool how they pretty much made their own engine for the game, iirc, but it's definitely full of a bunch of weird bullshit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, I'll give GOG version a go with US patch and if I can't get into it I'll watch the LP as backup plan.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Regular Nintendo posted:

What gave you this hankering? I had U2 back in the day and it was legit one of the most boring fps experiences I've ever seen. I'm talking like, a year later I thought "there's no way it's as bad as I remember" and I'd reinstall and sure enough, it was.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually asking

I just remembered the defence missions being pretty fun and different for the time and was wondering if they held up. Don't worry, based on the response here I've no intention of grabbing it from GoG and playing it again, I'm happy enough knowing it's rubbish.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've played the demo of Realms of the Haunting as a kid and seeing that demonic reflection in the initial hallway blew my mind back then. I'll give SGF's LP a try later.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Realms of the Haunting's engine is the one Gremlin developed for Normality, but reengineered to be a FPS. Normality was an adventure game with no shooting or action sequences of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

This looks really neat but way too loving dark.