Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

hope and vaseline posted:

My buddy who did synthetic ascension got the ai uprising, which is very bugged apparently for synthetic ascension empires. There's an empire wide debuff that's applied that they are supposed to be immune to (ai starting empires get a tech research option to remove it), but it still applies to them, without any way to clear it.

Are you sure you don't mean the Contingency? The AI rebellions now are a mid-game thing contained to single empires like slave revolts. The big scary end-game crisis with genocidal robots and a debuff that affects the entire galaxy has been overhauled and is called the Contingency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ah yes I meant the end-game ai crisis, the contingency, yeah.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I love you guys but I do wish you'd released a more detailed break down on what you guys actually rebalanced with weapons. I don't really know what I'm looking for since I don't have perfect recall of weapon stats pre-1.8 :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How, precisely, does one actually start a Federation?

I am friendly with six different empires, while the seventh hates my guts (they hate everyone). Opinion of 150+ on five of them, with trust maxed (at 125) for three (and quite high for a fourth). The last friendly really just tolerates me, but they're slavers, so we probably won't ever be BFFs.

The rest of us share similar goals, and have similar traits. For example, three of us are democracies, two of us are xenophiles, and two of us are materialistic. There is overlap.

I've nonaggression pacts with all of them, mutual defense pacts with 4.

And yet I'm always 3-10 points away from being able to start a Federation. It seems there's a cap on how much you can gain from friendly trade deals? And I'm not sure how else to raise my score with them?

I bought all the Federation-related perks you buy with Unity, and I still can't quite break out of the red.

The one time I did come ahead with one group, the rear end in a top hat group declared war as I was moving to click the button...and the war ended when that group was vassalized by another ally. :(

This is coming to a head because the one empire that hates everyone is building armies like a madman. It keeps starting border wars, and even with most of us jumping in against them, we can barely break even. And the slaver group just signed a nonaggression pact with them...I foresee a day when they join forces. Or both start wars at the same time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't seem to be getting anything from my Tributaries. I could find no record of any specific income from them, and I just took the unity thing that gives +50% tributary income and my income didn't change at all. How do I make tributaries work and how do I confirm they are paying me?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The generic machine interaction with organic pops seems great. They all get plugged into the matrix and give you an instant 6 energy per pop. I took 2 planets in one war and went from +15 energy to something like +165. Granted they were big, populated worlds. It almost felt like cheating.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

I don't seem to be getting anything from my Tributaries. I could find no record of any specific income from them, and I just took the unity thing that gives +50% tributary income and my income didn't change at all. How do I make tributaries work and how do I confirm they are paying me?

Pretty sure the Tradition affects Vassals not Tributaries but I could be mistaken...? The Domination tree was reworked to be heavily focused around vassalization.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dramicus posted:

The generic machine interaction with organic pops seems great. They all get plugged into the matrix and give you an instant 6 energy per pop. I took 2 planets in one war and went from +15 energy to something like +165. Granted they were big, populated worlds. It almost felt like cheating.

Its a limited resource, you're not just plugging them in as Matrix Batteries, the process is fatal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure the Tradition affects Vassals not Tributaries but I could be mistaken...? The Domination tree was reworked to be heavily focused around vassalization.

But you don't get any income from vassals, and the tradition in question does specify Tributaries.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a limited resource, you're not just plugging them in as Matrix Batteries, the process is fatal.

No, there is a non-lethal version of it called grid amalgamation. It doesn't kill them but provides a lower bonus.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No, it still kills them, it just takes 20 years or something. The only way machine empires can non-lethally interact with organic pops is to assimilate them as assimilators or turn them into trophies as servitors. Exterminators and generic machine empires have to kill or displace, the only choice is the specific flavor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

No, one is lethal and the other is non-lethal like livestock. The reptiles are being purged and give 8 energy, the birds are being used sustainably.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well that's weird. I was just going off the dev diary:

quote:

-Organic pops can not be integrated into a machine empire, and must be displaced or purged.
-A special form of purging called 'Grid Amalgamation' - kills pops at a moderate speed, but the pops produce a large amount of energy while being purged (similar to processing for organic empires)

But obviously you can sustainably use organics, so...

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 25, 2017

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Grid amalgamation doesn't purge, it functions like livestock. They stay plugged in forever but you do need to keep soldiers stationed there or they will revolt.

Edit: Also unrest will drop the energy production to 0.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 25, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

It shows up when you mouseover the resource income amounts on the top screen. In the hover popup that gives a brief rundown of what's affecting your income, there'll be a line that says "Tributaries:" and shows how much you're getting from them.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I don't suppose there's much I can do to a fallen empire fortress that's inside my space due to borders moving? They're just gonna instasplat couple space stations of mine when/if that bastardlord awakens on a bad mood.

~my first machine race~ game is going great otherwise. The godfearing spacebatfungi and whatever else bibletumpers formed a federation and with some help from materialist races, I pounded the living poop out of them. Just expanding and waiting on a crisis to come mercilessly end me now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I had a weird thought about war in Stellaris. What if it was something like the sectors?

You declare war and designate a 'theatre'. That theatre must include all of your war goals (planets you want ceded etc) and it is where the fighting takes place. You assign Admirals and Generals and things just kind of go from there. I have no idea how it might work but, for certain things, I feel like some kind of fire-and-forget war system might be a boon.

I don't know if it could even be done in the engine, really. Just some weird thought I had before bed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

I had a weird thought about war in Stellaris. What if it was something like the sectors?

You declare war and designate a 'theatre'. That theatre must include all of your war goals (planets you want ceded etc) and it is where the fighting takes place. You assign Admirals and Generals and things just kind of go from there. I have no idea how it might work but, for certain things, I feel like some kind of fire-and-forget war system might be a boon.

I don't know if it could even be done in the engine, really. Just some weird thought I had before bed.

As long as you can switch back to classic mode, why not? (Because I like having personal control of my fleets and armies, but I don't want to steal the fun from others, so they can have their Weird Mode if they want it.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ConfusedUs posted:

How, precisely, does one actually start a Federation?

I am friendly with six different empires, while the seventh hates my guts (they hate everyone). Opinion of 150+ on five of them, with trust maxed (at 125) for three (and quite high for a fourth). The last friendly really just tolerates me, but they're slavers, so we probably won't ever be BFFs.

The rest of us share similar goals, and have similar traits. For example, three of us are democracies, two of us are xenophiles, and two of us are materialistic. There is overlap.

I've nonaggression pacts with all of them, mutual defense pacts with 4.

And yet I'm always 3-10 points away from being able to start a Federation. It seems there's a cap on how much you can gain from friendly trade deals? And I'm not sure how else to raise my score with them?

I bought all the Federation-related perks you buy with Unity, and I still can't quite break out of the red.

The one time I did come ahead with one group, the rear end in a top hat group declared war as I was moving to click the button...and the war ended when that group was vassalized by another ally. :(

This is coming to a head because the one empire that hates everyone is building armies like a madman. It keeps starting border wars, and even with most of us jumping in against them, we can barely break even. And the slaver group just signed a nonaggression pact with them...I foresee a day when they join forces. Or both start wars at the same time.
Hover over the red X by "invite to federation" and it will list the modifiers. Distance tends to be a biggy, as are personality conflicts.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

hope and vaseline posted:

My buddy who did synthetic ascension got the ai uprising, which is very bugged apparently for synthetic ascension empires. There's an empire wide debuff that's applied that they are supposed to be immune to (ai starting empires get a tech research option to remove it), but it still applies to them, without any way to clear it.
That's the Contingency, which is different.

The Machine Uprising won't trigger for synthetically ascended empires because, well, that'd just be a regular rebellion.

EDIT: Oh, there was another page

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Is assimilation 1-4 pops per year per empire or is it 1-4 pops per year per planet?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe make planet capitals immune to being turned into bio reserves when invading planets as a servitor? It's können nda a pain.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Milky Moor posted:

Is assimilation 1-4 pops per year per empire or is it 1-4 pops per year per planet?

At present it just means you start with 4 cyborgs with no way to make more.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Weird, because I've got a full sector full of assimilated organics. :shrug:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's 1-4 per year empire-wide in 1.8.0, though that will likely change to per-planet soonTM.

Kitchner posted:

Just set your organics to Assimilation citizenship.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LordMune posted:

It's 1-4 per year empire-wide in 1.8.0, though that will likely change to per-planet soonTM.

Question: does having pops with assimilation citizenship piss off the egalitarian faction? I'm getting a penalty for not having free movement and whatnot for all pops with them and I'm having trouble figuring out what is causing it. I thought maybe it was robots/droids, but it didn't go away once I upgraded to synths with citizenship rights. I had gotten "The Flesh is Weak" at that point and had some pops assimilating so I thought maybe that was it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

An interesting thing happened that might be a bug, or at least an oversight. I completed the cyborg modification project with about three separate species in my empire, and the xenos all got a new species name like Whatchamacallit Mutatis or Meta-Whomever. I kept the migration treaty with their parent empires open, and set all non-cyborgs to assimilation. Instead of becoming Meta-Whomevers, they just became Whomevers with cybernetic implants and citizenship rights.

On the bright side, this halved the time to populate some new worlds. :haw:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Reddit is entertaining sometimes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LordMune posted:

No they're talking about how you can't get anymore of your starting cyborgs and also that they generally can't propagate after being assimilated.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Why won't my sectors make more murderbots? They have the "Build Robots" order and have enough minerals to do so.

Is the best way to deal with sector treating them as a core planet with -25% penalty to everything and no building notifications?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Eej posted:

No they're talking about how you can't get anymore of your starting cyborgs and also that they generally can't propagate after being assimilated.

Also likely to change soonTM.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:signings:

It's too bad that I'm not actually playing this. That's from an observer game where I populated the galaxy with nothing but eradicators and primitives.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I've just had a machine uprising in my xenophobic, spiritualist, authoritarian plant-based empire. I was doing well against the robots until my xenophobic, militaristic neighbors declared war against my robot ex-servants and occupied 4 of my former colonies. As I was about to wipe out the remaining robots, they agreed to peace with my neighbors and gave them all of the occupied colonies. I lost a third of my planets in one go to lovely robot surrender, including a Gaia world and 3 terraformed 24-slot planets.

Now, I'm stuck with busted sectors, a negative energy income, a military I can't sustain and a neighbor I can't fight for more than a year or two if they declare war. They can probably outproduce me, too. It's turned a fairly quiet game into something tense, but I don't see a way out of it. Either I scrap half my military to get back into the black and hope my neighbors don't declare war, or I declare war and hope for a swift victory. I think their fleet is slightly better than mine, so it'll probably a poo poo show.

So, what I'm saying is that the game is good and the emergent storytelling aspect definitely makes things more compelling.

My only complaint is that when fighting a war it's a slog to manually build armies, invade individual planets and co-ordinate space combat at the same time, especially on more than one front. Is there any way to be more efficient with it. Are there any tips or ways to combine/automate invasions?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Anyone knows what makes other population ethics than your official one actually appear? I'm playing as UNE, colonized several planets and most of my pops are either Egalitarians or Xenophiles. All other ideologies have 0% appeal. After a neighbouring empire became my Rival, a third ethos (Militarist) appeared on one of my planets - but after converting two pops the attraction disappeared despite still neighbouring the enemy. I don't know why the ethics tooltip still has been showing 0% attraction to Militarist despite some pops converting, or why did it appear only on one planet which wasn't even that close to the enemy to begin with - my capital was closer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This is nuts. Now that my machine empire can see most of the galaxy, it turns out nearly every other race is either evangelizing zealots or fanatical purifiers. I'm pretty sure if it weren't for my defensive pact with the sole non-crazy power in this galaxy, my playthrough would have been ended in rains of fire already. :stare:

That's the last time I'm trusting the game's RNG, next time it's handcrafted enemy empires again.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone know of a command to spawn the enigmatic fortress or to begin the 'you beat the fortress' event chain? I was set to fight it, but when my fleet arrived it had despawned completely.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I really wanted Machine empires to have a Flesh ascension path where they could become organic. Sadly the team was too busy with "real work" and "fixing bugs". :sad:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darkrenown posted:

I really wanted Machine empires to have a Flesh ascension path where they could become organic. Sadly the team was too busy with "real work" and "fixing bugs". :sad:

I thought this would be a cool thing to have for them, instead of having The Flesh Is Weak they'd have The Body Made Whole or something. It's be like Data from Star Trek trying to make himself more human while everyone else around wishes they were more cyborg.

Just download some thought patterns into a meat sack and away you go.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I forgot to turn on respect tile resources after creating a sector, and forgot to pause when I hopped in to clear some tile blockers and move the main colony building. Right after I dismantled it the AI "helpfully" started rebuilding it in the very top right of the planet, right on top of my freshly cleared Alien Pets.

Never turn off respect tile resources.

Speaking of alien pets, I'd really like some more of that tile style. A bunch called Lesser <existing strategic resource> Deposits would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Grid Amalgamation is the Matrix. The other one is "stoke the furnace, Jim, we just got a new load of coal!"

• Locked thread