Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

So re. McLaren using Renault engines next year. Are they all the same spec? Mercedes and Ferrari provide customers with the previous years model but is it the same with Renault?

If their chassis is good enough then do they have a chance at competing with the likes of Red Bull who is also using Renault Engines?

No one is provided with the previous year's engines except Sauber, and that won't be the case in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Halo14 posted:

So re. McLaren using Renault engines next year. Are they all the same spec? Mercedes and Ferrari provide customers with the previous years model but is it the same with Renault?

If their chassis is good enough then do they have a chance at competing with the likes of Red Bull who is also using Renault Engines?

Mercedes provide customers with the current engine; usually they provide upgrades like one or two races after the main team gets it. Renault has been providing their customers (Red Bull and TR) with the current engine as well.
Ferrari haven't been (they are the team providing old power units - I'm pretty sure Sauber and Haas both use old engines), which makes the dazzlingly pathetic performance of the Ferrari customer teams make so much sense.
Next year all engine suppliers will be supplying current engine units.

Having said that, there's a reason Mercedes have been utterly dominant over their customer teams and that's because they have total control over the development of the engine and can relate that to the strengths of their chassis design and vice-versa.

Based on what we've seen, it's definitely within the bounds of possibility that McLaren will be competitive with Red Bull; having said that, it'll be interesting to see what kind of steps Renault take, and how bad Toro Rosso do next year.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

wicka posted:

No one is provided with the previous year's engines except Sauber, and that won't be the case in 2018.

Ah so there's engine parity but you will need to change aspects to suit your chassis meaning you're wasting time and money compared to the works teams. Plus there's likely different engine mappings etc.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reminder of that time Manor had all their computers seized by bailiffs and Ferrari refused to give them a second copy of their engine mapping, so they had to spend all of winter testing and Australia re-writing it and couldn't go out on track.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Halo14 posted:

you will need to change aspects to suit your chassis meaning you're wasting time and money compared to the works teams.

That's what made the Brawn even more amazing. Bolt a Mercedes engine into a space designed for a Honda and away you go.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Halo14 posted:

Ah so there's engine parity but you will need to change aspects to suit your chassis meaning you're wasting time and money compared to the works teams. Plus there's likely different engine mappings etc.

It's exactly this.
Red Bull (in particular, lets not pretend like any of the other customer teams are in any real danger of challenging for a pole) are at a significant disadvantage to Mercedes and Ferrari in Quali because they don't have these engine mappings.

Clarence posted:

That's what made the Brawn even more amazing. Bolt a Mercedes engine into a space designed for a Honda and away you go.

Hey, it's not like McLaren were doing anything with that Mercedes engine shaped hole.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Halo14 posted:

It was at that moment I realised the blue sea was merely painted onto a wall on turn 8. Thanks Are Jense.

When we were actually there, my girlfriend didn't realise it wasn't real until we were stood right next to it. In fairness, she didn't have her contacts in but I completely lost my poo poo for a good few moments.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Red Bull also have a different fuel/lubricant supplier and I'm not sure if Mobil is providing product and actually developing for Red Bull, or if they're putting their logo on the stuff Renault provides to them. (FYI this is why McLaren were slowest of the Mercedes powered teams in 2014, they were the only one not running Petronas' special blend)

[quote="“Schlesische”" post="“476740484”"]
Hey, it’s not like McLaren were doing anything with that Mercedes engine shaped hole.
[/quote]

That was a major changeover in rules plus McLaren didn't have the double-diffuser until later in the season. After major updates they were much more competitive, but the Brawn and Button had built up a major lead early in the year. And the following year McLaren were competitive immediately too.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Red Bull also have a different fuel/lubricant supplier and I'm not sure if Mobil is providing product and actually developing for Red Bull, or if they're putting their logo on the stuff Renault provides to them. (FYI this is why McLaren were slowest of the Mercedes powered teams in 2014, they were the only one not running Petronas' special blend)

Any sensible team would've just slapped Mobil branding on a Petronas bottle, but this wasn't good enough synergy for Ron.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.redbullracing.com/article/driving-future-innovation

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Any sensible team would've just slapped Mobil branding on a Petronas bottle, but this wasn't good enough synergy for Ron.

Why would ExxonMobil have any interest in that arrangement?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

wicka posted:

Why would ExxonMobil have any interest in that arrangement?

McLaren are poo poo mate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“track day bro!”" post="“476741329”"]
McLaren are poo poo mate.
[/quote]

Why do you even post here?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

wicka posted:

Why do you even post here?

I like to talk about F1 with my goon pals!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing is too many characters and too many words even for an official name that no one will use.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So, wait, is Aston really going to try to build an engine just for 18-19 or will the team be Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, Powered by TAG Heuer, Which Is Actually Renault?

Edit: it's the latter of course, life is dumb

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 25, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah it's Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Brought To You By The Engine Formerly Known As Renault.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing powered by TAG presented by Renault

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Longer-term, Aston Martin have a partnership with AMG that means any of their non-V12 road cars get the AMG V8 treatment. Given that Aston's expertise is limited to a glorious V12 lumped into a car designed with tracing paper and a photo of their last model, it would make more sense* that RBR end up with an AM-badged Merc engine, wouldn't it? Especially given that Renault are now telling RBR to go gently caress themselves and Honda will continue to be a dumpster fire for the foreseeable future.

* - lol this is F1 none of it makes a lick of sense.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing powered by TAG presented by Renault

Somewhere out there, Ron Dennis is cumming himself to death over all that brand synergy.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Red Martin racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

So, wait, is Aston really going to try to build an engine just for 18-19 or will the team be Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, Powered by TAG Heuer, Which Is Actually Renault?

Edit: it's the latter of course, life is dumb

Someone on Twitter said there's a realistic scenario in which Red Bull, Aston, and McLaren form a joint venture with Cosworth to develop an independent engine for 2021.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
~BrAnD eNgInEeRiNg~

looking forward to watching AMRBR-TH(R) cars tear it up!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

wicka posted:

Someone on Twitter said there's a realistic scenario in which Red Bull, Aston, and McLaren form a joint venture with Cosworth to develop an independent engine for 2021.

Mercedes own 5% of Aston Martin, and given they're providing them with V8s and other assorted goodies (from memory a bunch of the interior, including the infotainment, electric stuff like cruise control and most of the stuff behind the steering wheel in the DB11 was more or less straight up given to AM by Merc) I doubt they plan on leaving it at 5%. What I'm trying to say is I think (and keep in mind I was wrong about McHonda and Porsche pulling out of LMP1) Mercedes are going to stick a Merc engine in the Red Bull and brand it an Aston Martin. But Honda will probably get the first chance post Renault in 2019.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I must be crazy but didnt Renault told RBR to gently caress off?

They need a engine before a title sponsor IMO.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

DoctorGonzo posted:

I must be crazy but didnt Renault told RBR to gently caress off?

They need a engine before a title sponsor IMO.

Yeah that's pretty much what's happend but then RBR poo poo talked renault for most of this era of engines so its not surprising.

I mean you can argue RBR had a point but then this whole era everyone has been merc's bitch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It was bizarre that Red Bull so quickly turned on Renault when their engine mappings alone are responsible for at least two of those championships.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The question I have with the potential for an AM-badged Merc engine is, would Merc be okay with RBR having one of their engines (minus the sweet constructor data obviously), or would RBR be okay with having a downgraded engine?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Renault has reliability problems but the rbr chassis its not very good i think?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Renault has reliability problems but the rbr chassis its not very good i think?

Nah the chassis is good probably close to what merc and ferrari have mclaren may have them beat though so be intresting to see if Mclaren can usurp them for 3rd next year with the renault engine.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Doesnt RBR have engines until 2019? The end of their contract? Then Honda comes in.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-williams-or-nothing-next-year-957482/

Oh gently caress off you broken-brained anachronism.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Massa time is over. Put everyone in there except that Sauber guy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Doesnt RBR have engines until 2019? The end of their contract? Then Honda comes in.

Yeah, they have this year, the next one and then they're gonna have to move to either Honda or find someone else to partner with.

The Croc posted:

Nah the chassis is good probably close to what merc and ferrari have mclaren may have them beat though so be intresting to see if Mclaren can usurp them for 3rd next year with the renault engine.

The Chassis is at least on par with, if not better than, the Ferrari in high downforce applications. The lack of engine mappings alone is probably what cost them pole in Singapore.

Pirate Radar posted:

The question I have with the potential for an AM-badged Merc engine is, would Merc be okay with RBR having one of their engines (minus the sweet constructor data obviously), or would RBR be okay with having a downgraded engine?

That's the million-dollar question.
To be able to leverage the full qualities of the Merc engines would probably force a total design overhaul from Red Bull and it's not entirely clear they would still be the kings of chassis design afterwards.
On the flipside, Adrian Newey hasn't come up with a novel way to skirt the rules in a way that makes me audibly gasp in a few years so they're probably overdue for one.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
In what reality do Merc ever give Red Bull an engine?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

Mercedes provide customers with the current engine; usually they provide upgrades like one or two races after the main team gets it. Renault has been providing their customers (Red Bull and TR) with the current engine as well.
Ferrari haven't been (they are the team providing old power units - I'm pretty sure Sauber and Haas both use old engines), which makes the dazzlingly pathetic performance of the Ferrari customer teams make so much sense.
Next year all engine suppliers will be supplying current engine units.

Haas use the new engines,

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Jense's attempted murder of a noted refuse collector in Monaco was a season highlight.

That literally feels like it was eons ago.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I wonder if he really did piss in Nando's seat :thunk:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

In what reality do Merc ever give Red Bull an engine?

One where they don't get engine parity or access to the higher engine modes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dudley posted:

Haas use the new engines,

Counter point: Haas Are rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

One where they don't get engine parity or access to the higher engine modes.

Alternatively, they might be okay letting them have the engines provided Mobil do all the fuel development on their own.

• Locked thread