Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lightning Lord posted:

I love Star Trek and I've heard a lot of good things about this show. But I'm hesitant. I like humor in my sci-fi TV, so that's not the issue. I mean, Star Trek was often funny. But I think everything else Seth MacFarlane has done is shrill, wretched poo poo, including American Dad. I'm going to watch this anyway when I get a chance, but I just want to know how prevalent or reined in are the MacFarlane-isms exactly? I'm not going to stop watching if he talks in a funny Peter Griffin voice or some poo poo, I just want to know what's up, that's all.

If Season 3 of Family Guy is MacFarlane at 10, then this is only like 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, I'd say this show is more defined by a real attempt at emulating what MacFarlane loves about Star Trek more than his humor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I love Star Trek and I've heard a lot of good things about this show. But I'm hesitant. I like humor in my sci-fi TV, so that's not the issue. I mean, Star Trek was often funny. But I think everything else Seth MacFarlane has done is shrill, wretched poo poo, including American Dad. I'm going to watch this anyway when I get a chance, but I just want to know how prevalent or reined in are the MacFarlane-isms exactly? I'm not going to stop watching if he talks in a funny Peter Griffin voice or some poo poo, I just want to know what's up, that's all.

It's a Star Trek workplace comedy.

He doesn't talk in a funny voice. Most of the humor comes from taking the characters into exactly the same ridiculous situations Trek would put its characters in, only The Orville plays the scene for laughs. These are the guys who got a C in Astrophysics but still got through the academy okay. They're not incompetent fools but their lives are messy and they're not dignified.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The two guys at the front consoles tell dick jokes back and forth and probably send memes to each other's workstations. In other words, they are believable realistic people at work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I thought this would be dumb family guy humor but Star Trek sucked so I'm trying it

I like the guy who asked about drinking soda on the bridge :)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Maybe it's because I've been drinking, but my eyes actually welled up at the end of the latest episode. My god if it doesn't feel like Star Trek.

It might also be because of what other show I just watched.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
so in the wake of Discovery I kinda think I should just watch this instead- what streaming things is the pilot and episodes aired to date on?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mukaikubo posted:

so in the wake of Discovery I kinda think I should just watch this instead- what streaming things is the pilot and episodes aired to date on?

FoxNOW OnDemand. The website or the app.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've been using Hulu.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's also available on Amazon's season pass thing.

So that's like 3 possible streaming services in addition to being broadcast on-air.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I stand corrected; I had no idea it was on either of those services.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/912043972016537602

:science:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

It's also available on Amazon's season pass thing.

So that's like 3 possible streaming services in addition to being broadcast on-air.

How unlike actual Star Trek!

:v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

This one's on TV! There's gonna be reruns.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lightning Lord posted:

The wackiest MacFarlane-ism I've seen was probably the crew member that's a talking blob of goo forming a penis-shaped appendage and waving it at the doctor he was flirting with. And that was a 5 second gag in the context of an episode about toxic masculinity.

I'm not gonna call the show highbrow but I'm not a fan of the other MacFarlane shows or really anything else he's done but I broadly like the humour in this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The humor is surprisingly low key after Million Ways for sure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All of the Orville is available on Fox on Demand I believe.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

More thought into the actual science of the show than I expected. The plant panels are a unique touch.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
My opionion of Orville has raised a lot more after last night, Orville has problems but at least it feels like Star Trek.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I missed it on Thursday but I like the show so far. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it to anyone but for a Big Ol' Dumb Star Trek its perfect.

It's still sad that McFarTrek is the better show.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
After experiencing Discovery I guess I'm fully on board for this.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
this show is actually cool - thanks discovery for sucking so bad i was motivated to check this out

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I imagine that CBS wouldn't allow Fox to advertise The Orville during DIS, which is a shame.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I genuinely wonder if this is going to be 30Rock vs Studio 60 all over again.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

I can't wait for the Crazy Klingons episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
With the winner again being the one that takes it self less seriously.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

I feel it's likely to, at least in America. Everywhere else, where it's on Netflix... Discovery will probably do well enough.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Studio 60 was so profoundly bad and tone deaf

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, 30 Rock was way funnier than this show.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

So is MacFarlane going to grow a beard for season 2?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, Palicki will

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

The first officer should grow the beard.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, Palicki will be McFarlanes beard

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazy posted:

I have a crackpot theory (based on the apparently frequent nighttime urination and concern about colon health) that Mercer has cancer and will die before the end of this season, leaving MacFarlane free to abandon the series focus on the writing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

I have a crackpot theory (based on the apparently frequent nighttime urination and concern about colon health) that Mercer has cancer and will die before the end of this season, leaving MacFarlane free to abandon the series focus on the writing.

I like the crack of your pot, potter.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

I think in the latest episode they mentioned that some doctor or another figured out a way to kill cancer cells on the show, so you sadly may need to go back to the drawing board on that one. MacFarlane killing off his own character would be amazing, though — talk about a plot twist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Replace MacFarlane with Jeffrey Combs

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Baronjutter posted:

Holy poo poo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I went back and read some of the longer posts in here analyzing scene compositions, cinematography, and how progressive this show actually is. I gotta say, I never, ever suspected that a Seth MacFarlane production would get as much intellectual praise and analysis as this. How many episodes did critics get a lead on? I'm curious at which point the series goes from pre-reviewed to new-to-everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't know I wanted this so badly until you said it