Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Did the edge highlighting on 5 of my deathwatch last night, but decided to go with Incubi Darkness instead of Dark Reaper. Finished the edge highlighting, then did some work on the chapter badges. Really happy with how these turned out, especially the Flesh Tearers one (which is my secret favorite chapter).

I also decided to test out using a satin varnish on the black, and I really like the look of it, so I think i'm going to use it on all the power armor. You can see it on the black area around the Flesh Tearers shoulder pad.

Satin varnish is my go-to. I love how it makes power armor and metals look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is there any way to save old, clotted paints?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Is it possible to airbrush ink over metal to end up with a colored metal effect? Or do I need to buy ghost tints?

It works fine, I just did it myself:

Base coated with AP Plate Mail, mixed in some Scale 75 Violet ink for the second, solid purple coat, then did a third coat around the edges with just the ink for the darker color.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Is there any way to save old, clotted paints?

If they're still liquid, thin them with acrylic medium and filter the clots.
If they've dried out, they're dead and you should use the pots for miniature holders or something.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OptimusWang posted:

Base coated with AP Plate Mail, mixed in some Scale 75 Violet ink for the second, solid purple coat, then did a third coat around the edges with just the ink for the darker color.

Is this a Halo Wraith Tank model?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

[quote="“Zuul the Cat”" post="“476653638”"]
Is this a Halo Wraith Tank model?
[/quote]

Yup, I picked it and a Scorpion tank up 2 days before the maker announced they were closing their business :v:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Is that odd ripple in the cast of the model? It's interesting.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Is that odd ripple in the cast of the model? It's interesting.

Yeah, it's a resin model and honestly the casts on both of them make Reaper Bones amazing by comparison. Here's another angle:

I'm hoping that a gloss coat will knock the ringing (it's in multiple places) down a bit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

OptimusWang posted:

When you say mixed in, you mean that the second coat was done with a mix of Plate Mail and Violet ink?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Felt like I should've picked up a Pelican when I had the chance but I don't think they were really all that available amongst Swedish retailers.
Even if I perhaps didn't look hard enough.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 22, 2017

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

wdarkk posted:

When you say mixed in, you mean that the second coat was done with a mix of Plate Mail and Violet ink?

Yup, I just added it to what was already in the airbrush until it was a light purple.

[quote="“Cooked Auto”" post="“476656807”"]
Felt like I should’ve picked up a Pelican when I had the chance but I don’t think they were really all that available amongst Swedish retailers.
Even if I perhaps didn’t look hard enough.
[/quote]

Revell just put out a 1:100 scale Pelican kit for $30. It's the Halo 5 style which some people hate, but if you want to scratch that itch...

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

OptimusWang posted:

That looks great!

Scale75 also makes their 'Alchemy' paints which are colored metallics. I've been getting a lot of use out of them and want to do a primaris Alpha Legion dude with them.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 22, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd really like to try my hand at weathering pigments on this Knight i'm going to be painting up, but i'm not really sure where to start.

I'd like to make it look somewhat dirty and grimy on the armor plates as if it hasn't been back to the shop in a bit. Not battle damage really, but just a little dirty.

Any advice or videos someone can reference me to?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

Yeah, it's a resin model and honestly the casts on both of them make Reaper Bones amazing by comparison. Here's another angle:

I'm hoping that a gloss coat will knock the ringing (it's in multiple places) down a bit.

Looks like it was printed on a 3d printer that wasn't quite up to the job and they didn't bother to do much finishing work before pouring silicone. A couple hours of filling and sanding primer when he made the mold probably would have fixed that.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Exactly. The casting is too good actually. I also saw print lines on some of FW's newer stuff.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Good to know, I will update my complaints accordingly :eng101:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'd really like to try my hand at weathering pigments on this Knight i'm going to be painting up, but i'm not really sure where to start.

I'd like to make it look somewhat dirty and grimy on the armor plates as if it hasn't been back to the shop in a bit. Not battle damage really, but just a little dirty.

Any advice or videos someone can reference me to?

Check out my lovely blog:
https://www.powerfisted.com/?p=44

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm dipping my hands into this and buying the basics. I'm confused about varnish though. I just bought a can of Testors Matt varnish. Is that right? There was also a Tamiya semi-gloss.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You should get a gloss varnish and a matte varnish. Spray the gloss first for protection (gloss varnish is stronger), then go over it again with matte to get rid of the shine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Red_Fred posted:

I'm dipping my hands into this and buying the basics. I'm confused about varnish though. I just bought a can of Testors Matt varnish. Is that right? There was also a Tamiya semi-gloss.

Testors Dullcote is the best poo poo out there. I use gloss then matte when I'm doing metals, but with plastics or resin models I just do matte.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SRM posted:

Testors Dullcote is the best poo poo out there. I use gloss then matte when I'm doing metals, but with plastics or resin models I just do matte.

Sweet got the right one, thanks.

Another question: can I use a regular bar of soap for cleaning brushes?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

Get brush soap, it will last a long time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
For making your own flow aid, will any kind of dish soap do?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

You want this stuff, it's like magic.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/the-masters-brush-cleaner-and-preserver/

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Painted up some more stuff. Once you learn how to Candy Coat, everything needs to be painted some shade of metallic red.

Tau Ripitide

Converted Escher with Plasma Gun

Blood Rage Volus Witch

Yorinaga Kurita's Warhammer in honoure of PTN's thread.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Z the IVth posted:

Painted up some more stuff. Once you learn how to Candy Coat, everything needs to be painted some shade of metallic red.

Tau Ripitide

Converted Escher with Plasma Gun

Blood Rage Volus Witch

Those look really rad

How do you candy coat

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Z the IVth posted:

Oh hey I remember you

Tandem Charge SRMs hurt.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Those look really rad

How do you candy coat

Metallic with transparent colour over it. In this case its gold with transparent red.

Best done with an airbrush but some people have had some success handbrushing.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That Escher plasma gunner is sick. I want to make one like that now. Beautiful paint job too.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!
I just rescued these old beauties off of ebay, and I'm not sure if I should strip em or just paint black over them(Playing Black Legion)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm gonna try streaming some painting on twitch. If you wanna see me slap some paint on spaceships do drop by. https://www.twitch.tv/bistromatic

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I have so many engine cells to paint.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The paint I wanted to use for them was so goddamn thin I feel like it'd be really hard to drybrush with, so I'm waiting a bit.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Does anyone have recommendations for hobby desk lamps? I remember some were mentioned a few pages back but can't find them now.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm using two IKEA lamps with LED bulbs and diffusor caps. German amazon links because i'm german but you should be able to find equivalent stuff if that's too far away. Hardest part was the 5000K led bulbs, not all that many options there. The rest is dirt cheap and i'm really happy with the light the setup gives.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Nifara posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for hobby desk lamps? I remember some were mentioned a few pages back but can't find them now.

I have two Ikea lamps http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50231300/

with these bulbs http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-white-ambiance-single-bulb-e26/046677461003

I really like being able to change the colour temperature to see what my painting looks like under daylight / indoor lighting on the fly.

Looks a bit like this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

God I wish I had that much space. Sadly I will have to make do with this

Still haven't been able to find a nearby Swedish retailed for a daylight bulb yet so I know I'm technically painting under the wrong lighting conditions

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

I'm using two IKEA lamps with LED bulbs and diffusor caps. German amazon links because i'm german but you should be able to find equivalent stuff if that's too far away. Hardest part was the 5000K led bulbs, not all that many options there. The rest is dirt cheap and i'm really happy with the light the setup gives.

I'm using exactly the same setup, only with 6500k bulbs. The tertial lamp is one of those hidden IKEA gems.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So this might be a little grim/weird* but I need piles of civilian bodies for scenery/terrain purposes. 40k-ish "scale". Any ideas? Maybe zombies?

*: I'd argue the "There are no civilians anywhere near the battlefield that's happening in the middle of an enormous goddamn city and therefore no casualties or any indications of such! :v:" model usually pursued (at least in 40k, although see Abnett's Necropolis for a pretty good handling of it, I think) is actually more offensive since it flies in the face of, you know, loving reality?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Cooked Auto posted:

God I wish I had that much space. Sadly I will have to make do with this

Still haven't been able to find a nearby Swedish retailed for a daylight bulb yet so I know I'm technically painting under the wrong lighting conditions

:sweden::hf::sweden: this is what I use