Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because the connotation is wrong, the problem with a bully is not that they aren't prudent and don't listen to criticism, to elide cruelty by saying the issue is being headstrong is odd.

It's one of many problems. Don't be so thick.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There are several terms for that, such as 'overconfidence'.

The moral of IT is not that Pennywise lacked the humility necessary for good leadership - that he totally could have had a successful child-theft circus if he hadn't overextended himself.

As if Pennywise serves as a warning and a lesson to future magical sewer demons: bite one kid at most, don't indulge in disrespectful taunting, you know - these are the steps to a thriving brainwash circus.

Any movie with a villain includes the villain's side as part of the viewer's sympathy, so yes, part of the moral is that Pennywise could've been a more successful murderous clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That's abusing the definition of hubris to the point that it can cover such activities as 'crossing the street' or 'drinking water'.

How dare you challenge the avenue with this crosswalk button! Your pride in the signal light, this so-called power to halt the city's traffic, will be your undoing!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm dying of irony poisoning.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

That's abusing the definition of hubris to the point that it can cover such activities as 'crossing the street' or 'drinking water'.

How dare you challenge the avenue with this crosswalk button! Your pride in the signal light, this so-called power to halt the city's traffic, will be your undoing!

All things bend.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

:allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SMG did you like IT?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve2911 posted:

SMG did you like IT?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There are several terms for that, such as 'overconfidence'.

The moral of IT is not that Pennywise lacked the humility necessary for good leadership - that he totally could have had a successful child-theft circus if he hadn't overextended himself.

As if Pennywise serves as a warning and a lesson to future magical sewer demons: bite one kid at most, don't indulge in disrespectful taunting, you know - these are the steps to a thriving brainwash circus.

seems like sound advice to me

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Clearly, love was Pennywises fatal flaw, as it just loved to scare kids so much! Ah, if it had only hardened its heart and taken a more sober approach it would not have come to such an bitter end. What a tragic and cautionary tale.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pennywise's fatal flaw was that he used burnt eggs instead of Reese's Pieces to lure a fat kid.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crimpolioni posted:

Clearly, love was Pennywises fatal flaw, as it just loved to scare kids so much! Ah, if it had only hardened its heart and taken a more sober approach it would not have come to such an bitter end. What a tragic and cautionary tale.

Pretty much.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's one of many problems. Don't be so thick.

Hundu's not being thick, I similarly have no idea where you're coming from with these terse answers. There's nothing about the movie incarnation of Pennywise that shows a sense of pride to the point of hubris. Even Its pile of floating bodies is something It keeps to itself and only ends up being seen because It's on the ropes against these kids.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hi I don’t know what the general consensus on this scene is but the part where Pennywise dances is the least scary scene in any horror movie ever made.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there are far less scary scenes in this film. i liked it for its weirdness and it felt like the IT from the book for at least a time.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 24, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

NienNunb posted:

Hi I don’t know what the general consensus on this scene is but the part where Pennywise dances is the least scary scene in any horror movie ever made.

I think it isn't really suppose to be scary. It felt more like a absurd comedic moment to me at least.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think somehow a lot of people (maybe just one person) are missing the fundamental point of IT/Pennywise (or over analyzing it now because it's popular), why he's scary and and where he draws his power.

The whole story revolves around childhood fears and basic insecurity, particularly as it relates to puberty and coming of age. When the kids aren't scared, IT is powerless. When they are, IT is powerful and dangerous. The fact that they weren't scared of IT anymore is how they beat him and that's clearly shown in the film. The whole loving thing is about overcoming adolescent fear, transcending into maturity and coming to terms with an inherent mistrust of grown ups and their inability to protect you from harm; the realization that you have to conquer your fears by yourself. Ot in this case with friends.

It's not complicated and there's no need to over analyze IT or hunt for subtext. It's all right there and clearly spelled out, in the novel as well as the film.

Not saying IT's shallow at all but there's no political or deep social message involved beyond the basic idea that growing up is scary and that adults not only don't understand but are often part of the problem and the film did a great job describing that.

It was a terrific movie and I look forward to part 2. Hope they don't gently caress it up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NienNunb posted:

It is however good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Just saw IT. Thought it was a good movie, stands on its own. Rewatching the 90s series and boy is that bad. Not hard to top. This IT wasn't really scary though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's okay for horror movies not to scary you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

I think somehow a lot of people (maybe just one person) are missing the fundamental point of IT/Pennywise (or over analyzing it now because it's popular), why he's scary and and where he draws his power.

The whole story revolves around childhood fears and basic insecurity, particularly as it relates to puberty and coming of age. When the kids aren't scared, IT is powerless. When they are, IT is powerful and dangerous. The fact that they weren't scared of IT anymore is how they beat him and that's clearly shown in the film. The whole loving thing is about overcoming adolescent fear, transcending into maturity and coming to terms with an inherent mistrust of grown ups and their inability to protect you from harm; the realization that you have to conquer your fears by yourself. Ot in this case with friends.

It's not complicated and there's no need to over analyze IT or hunt for subtext. It's all right there and clearly spelled out, in the novel as well as the film.

Not saying IT's shallow at all but there's no political or deep social message involved beyond the basic idea that growing up is scary and that adults not only don't understand but are often part of the problem and the film did a great job describing that.

It was a terrific movie and I look forward to part 2. Hope they don't gently caress it up.

You are not staying on the surface. You are using simplistic phrases that are both non-specific and loaded to hint at depth.

When we try to ascertain what exactly you mean by "conquering your fear" and "transcending into maturity", things of course become very complicated very quickly. This is because your language is imprecise. You disregard nuance. Why, for example, do you believe fear is 'dangerous'?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The dancing scene clearly wasn't supposed to be scary. In a movie full of comic relief, I don't see how it's confusing people so much.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I thought peak Pennywise was in the kitchen with Eddie, unfurling out of the fridge, taking the piss out of Eddie's asthma, almost squealing "I'm not real enough for you?" to Billy.

I really wish we got more dialogue with Pennywise. Loved the speech at the end about making a deal with the Losers, letting them grow old etc. Good poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pennywise literally introduces himself as a dancing clown. It would make no sense for him NOT to dance.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Last I checked clowns also don't eat children so he's really talking himself into a corner!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Hundu's not being thick, I similarly have no idea where you're coming from with these terse answers. There's nothing about the movie incarnation of Pennywise that shows a sense of pride to the point of hubris. Even Its pile of floating bodies is something It keeps to itself and only ends up being seen because It's on the ropes against these kids.

Absolutely not. Think on it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I re-read It because of the movie, and I noticed a really cute reference, intentional or not, towards the end of the book:

quote:

The following morning Bryant Gumble and Willard Scott of the Today show would be in Derry.

Willard Scott being, of course, the original Ronald McDonald.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Absolutely not. Think on it.

Done, have written at length as well, and I still have little idea where you're coming from. If you want to try and elaborate go for it, but there's little in IT the movie to suggest that level of pride.

Edit: Basically, I'm looking for a dialogue, I don't do one/two-liners.

Punch Drunk Drewsky fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 25, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished rereading the book and realized I had basically forgotten like the entire last third of it even though I had read it probably 10 times as a kid. Particularly I forgot Mike getting ganked, Eddie dying, the town getting destroyed and It's eggs.

As I was reading through the book it made me realize I was more or less remembering parts of the story just before/as the characters did. It was a neat little effect and made me wonder if King was inspired by revisiting old books when he wrote the memories of the protagonists.

jingo
Jul 11, 2002

Pennywise is not the fursona of It, Pennywise is ironic self commentary. Clowns make their living from children by wearing a false face.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

You are not staying on the surface. You are using simplistic phrases that are both non-specific and loaded to hint at depth.

When we try to ascertain what exactly you mean by "conquering your fear" and "transcending into maturity", things of course become very complicated very quickly. This is because your language is imprecise. You disregard nuance. Why, for example, do you believe fear is 'dangerous'?

It's not a nuanced story you dumbbell.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, but I'm still gonna post how I think they're gonna gently caress up the second movie at some point.

There are two scenes from the adult storyline I want to see in the sequel: 1) When Bev meets "Mrs. Kersh" :cry: and 2) when Pennywise appears in the library with Ben (nobody can see him but Ben) and begins talking mad poo poo/psychologically torture him about everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want them to do the smoke house scene, but with drugs. I really want to see some of that crazy cosmic poo poo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I want them to do the smoke house scene, but with drugs. I really want to see some of that crazy cosmic poo poo.

The EW article hints heavily that it's gonna be there.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why, for example, do you believe fear is 'dangerous'?

He didn't say fear was dangerous, he said that Pennywise was dangerous when the kids feared him. It's very different.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Vogler posted:

It's not a nuanced story you dumbbell.

The book has some nuance in terms of it's descriptions of various forms of hatred tainting the community and the detail given to things like Bill's parent's grief, but pennywise is pretty deliberately not nuanced. He is just simple instinctive fear, the source of all the various more specific horrors every kid imagines and gets spooked by.

The book also features a chapter specifically mocking dumbass art school style tortured overanalysis, with Stephen King's self-insert Bill saying that he just writes entertaining stories of no higher meaning than the literal. The movie can maybe be considered a seperate product to which this doesn't apply, but taking it in isolation it seems to be aiming even lower.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Moon Atari posted:

The book also features a chapter specifically mocking dumbass art school style tortured overanalysis, with Stephen King's self-insert Bill saying that he just writes entertaining stories of no higher meaning than the literal. The movie can maybe be considered a seperate product to which this doesn't apply, but taking it in isolation it seems to be aiming even lower.

Stephen King wrote a book length exegesis about "overanalyzing" his preferred genre, it's pretty popular.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Went to see the flick again this weekend with a buddy who hadn't seen it yet. It was still a blast the second time around, though the repetitive nature of the "thing rushes at screen" scare does become a bit more obvious. The opening, projector scene, and first trip to Niebolt still play as well as the first time though.

I think one of my stealth favorite parts is at the end when Eddie gets gooped on by Leperwise, takes a second beat to react, and just screams out a body-shaking "I'M GONNA FUCKIN KILL YOU!"

It's such a great delivery. That kid seriously is the MVP of the movie in my opinion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

King believes in both reading a story as just a story and a story living on its own and reading into the meaning of it. Neither fight each other and both exist at the same time.

The point in IT about Bill's writing was that the professor was not respecting pulp as worthwhile literature because of intent, which is bad.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Stephen King wrote a book length exegesis about "overanalyzing" his preferred genre, it's pretty popular.

Are you referring to On Writing, or something else that just went over my head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dienes posted:

Are you referring to On Writing, or something else that just went over my head?

Danse Macabre, actually, though On Writing certainly has its share of that stuff.

• Locked thread