Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Breetai posted:

Just bought my first Type 9, and the ability to cart 480 tons of cargo around per trip really makes a difference. :stare:

That's more than five thousand people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Five thousand people spared from the crippling humiliation and dishonor of being debtors. Truly this goon deserves a medal.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Read the blurb. I'm a job creator who is committed to helping people out of debt. :v:

ninja edit: ^ this guy gets it

I'm trying to envision this by comparing the player model size with the size of the Type-9, and drawing a blank. Probably there's at least one person out there for whom this was an immersion-breaking game ruiner.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Breetai posted:

Read the blurb. I'm a job creator who is committed to helping people out of debt. :v:

ninja edit: ^ this guy gets it

I'm trying to envision this by comparing the player model size with the size of the Type-9, and drawing a blank. Probably there's at least one person out there for whom this was an immersion-breaking game ruiner.

Naw, take a look at the avatar vs ship windows: pilot holo-mes are ~12ft tall.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Naw, take a look at the avatar vs ship windows: pilot holo-mes are ~12ft tall.

Makes sense since the official line is that there's no artificial gravity in the game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Makes sense since the official line is that there's no artificial gravity in the game.

Frontier can't change my headcanon. gently caress you there's Expanse style gravity when your drive is turned on. :colbert:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Frontier can't change my headcanon. gently caress you there's Expanse style gravity when your drive is turned on. :colbert:

That would only apply during docking/landing and combat, where thrusters are used. Frameshift (what is actually used for the majority of cruising towards a destination) doesn't propel the ship in that manner according to your frame of reference - it instead shifts what is around you. :spergin:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 24, 2017

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

That would only apply during docking/landing and combat, where thrusters are used. Frameshift (what is actually used for the majority of cruising towards a destination) doesn't propel the ship in that manner according to your frame of reference - it instead shifts what is around you. :spergin:

I play only in solo, so I reject this particular assumption of gravity gank.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uaRHFmBT4

Comparing the size of the player model to the T9, I can definite see five thousand people fitting in there, especially if they're in some sort of stasis chambers.

Option B, your standard person-sized life support/stasis receptacle just so conveniently happens to be designed to fit the exact dimensions of your standard 1-ton cargo can.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've got to Mammon. There isn't much here... is there an easy way to see the next habitated system? EDDB shows me places in the bubble

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

I've got to Mammon. There isn't much here... is there an easy way to see the next habitated system? EDDB shows me places in the bubble

What direction are you heading?

Hillary Depot is in Blu Thua AI-A C14-10 if you're heading towards the centre or Colonia but there isnt a whole lot outside the bubble.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Alrighty, got the game and fired it up yesterday. Went through the tutorials, completed a few missions, got enough credits to buy an Adder and a few upgrades, and feel like I'm getting the hang of things. I looked at the OP but it seems kinda dated, so if anyone has some general tips I'm all ears. Also, I can see how people could easily dump money into playing this. My coworker has a pretty slick setup with head tracking, voice recognition, and a flight stick.

Also, is there something in game that automates landing? A simple yes or no is good. I'm getting alright at it, but I feel like that far in the future there'd have to be some autopilot software that could take over once you're mass locked.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There is a docking computer that takes up a small optional slot that activates when you request docking and throttle all the way down. It can be overridden by throttling up.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Uh then why the hell can I only take 8 space tourists at a time

What button assures passengers I have a business class cabin then stuffs them into an overfull cargo hold

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Retardog posted:

Alrighty, got the game and fired it up yesterday. Went through the tutorials, completed a few missions, got enough credits to buy an Adder and a few upgrades, and feel like I'm getting the hang of things. I looked at the OP but it seems kinda dated, so if anyone has some general tips I'm all ears. Also, I can see how people could easily dump money into playing this. My coworker has a pretty slick setup with head tracking, voice recognition, and a flight stick.

Also, is there something in game that automates landing? A simple yes or no is good. I'm getting alright at it, but I feel like that far in the future there'd have to be some autopilot software that could take over once you're mass locked.

Your frame shift drive is probably your most important kit. Save up and get as close to A grade as you can as your priority.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Inspector Hound posted:

Uh then why the hell can I only take 8 space tourists at a time

What button assures passengers I have a business class cabin then stuffs them into an overfull cargo hold

Slaves get packed into canisters same as cargo. Passengers are special snowflakes who need their elbow room.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

The buy Slaves button in the commodity market screen. :getin:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is there a bullet list of new things for 2.4? I'm horribly out of the loop.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Same but moreso. I completely fell out of the game after 2.3 hit (was bummed about the gunner pay and the fact that the friends I'd been prepping ships for ended up not getting the game) and only just logged in for the first time... ten minutes before the servers went down for 2.4 to be applied. It's a lot to ask, but if there are any easily digested posts about everything that's happened since 2.3, that'd be neat. Game changes, story stuff, etc.

Also jesus christ there are a lot of new bindings to fill in for camera controls and stuff. I got stuck in the free camera for a minute because I hadn't bound a separate key to exit it :psyduck:

Sard fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 26, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

A. Beaverhausen posted:

They'll probably shove the release notes up on the forum later.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sard posted:

Same but moreso. I completely fell out of the game after 2.3 hit (was bummed about the gunner pay and the fact that the friends I'd been prepping ships for ended up not getting the game) and only just logged in for the first time... ten minutes before the servers went down for 2.4 to be applied. It's a lot to ask, but if there are any easily digested posts about everything that's happened since 2.3, that'd be neat. Game changes, story stuff, etc.

Also jesus christ there are a lot of new bindings to fill in for camera controls and stuff. I got stuck in the free camera for a minute because I hadn't bount a separate key to exit it :psyduck:

From what I can gather story wise, the Fed fired on a Thargoid and kickstarted war. That seems to be a big focus in 2.4, but that's just from five minutes of looking at a galnet article and a 2.4 trailer on youtube.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Happy Patch Day jerks! Here's your patch notes.

Let's space!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still being stupid about the Thargoids I see, that poo poo got old months ago.
"MYSTERIOUS THINGS OOOOOOOOO!"
._.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dreadwroth posted:

Still being stupid about the Thargoids I see, that poo poo got old months ago.
"MYSTERIOUS THINGS OOOOOOOOO!"
._.

Do you like knowing in advance what's in your xmas presents as well?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean you know what's in yours, every single one is fdev's collective cock

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm more curious about the cool mystery things listed under "stability fixes"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dabir posted:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dabir posted:

What is it with you idiots fantasising about other men's cocks all the time? I mean, each to their own, but it's a bit of an obsession round here it seems.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mu77ley posted:

What is it with you idiots fantasising about other men's cocks all the time? I mean, each to their own, but it's a bit of an obsession round here it seems.

:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

Well as a gay man I'm intimately familiar with the act of dick sucking — you usually just do it to another person instead of a game developer who habitually overpromises and under-delivers by comparing people who are skeptical of patch content involving a years long underwhelming "mystery" to children peeking at Christmas presents.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm glad that they obscured the patch notes about aliens so players will blow through all thargoid content in six hours instead of four.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

I'm glad that they obscured the patch notes about aliens so players will blow through all thargoid content in six hours instead of four.

I'm glad they didn't do any meaningful testing of the alien content to preserve the mystery. Because that's worked out so well in the past.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Isn't the thargoid stuff getting brought out in waves over the next few months?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Conskill posted:

I'm glad they didn't do any meaningful testing of the alien content to preserve the mystery. Because that's worked out so well in the past.
This content working at launch is going to be the real surprise of this update. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Isn't the thargoid stuff getting brought out in waves over the next few months?

Yes. First wave is today

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm not even half way to Colonia, wonder where these new stations are going to pop up.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'm not even half way to Colonia, wonder where these new stations are going to pop up.

At colonia, I think. I took it as more stations in the region, unless I read it completely wrong.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Are the asteroid stations cool enough to detour to the main "highway" to Colonia? I'm about half way there too but instead of heading strait away I curled around the spiral arm and intended to approach Colonia from galactic west (assuming beagle point is north?)

I get they're just eye candy but I wonder if it's worth taking a peek at one and potentially give up some unexplored worlds that would be much more frequent out this direction than on the beeline.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I don't really understand the new pvp penalties, can someone explain them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Are the asteroid stations cool enough to detour to the main "highway" to Colonia? I'm about half way there too but instead of heading strait away I curled around the spiral arm and intended to approach Colonia from galactic west (assuming beagle point is north?)

I get they're just eye candy but I wonder if it's worth taking a peek at one and potentially give up some unexplored worlds that would be much more frequent out this direction than on the beeline.

There's definitely one, possibly two, within about 50ly of Colonia, so just have a gander when you get there.

• Locked thread