Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

a.lo posted:

gearbox known for their borderlands and

half-life: opposing force????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Feenix posted:

Is Pokken worth getting?

As a fighting game, it's got good simple systems and very different and unique character styles. Cool graphics/music/areas and good online. Do not buy for single player content, otherwise it's a surprisingly great fighting game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

dog nougat posted:

Things I discovered. Drunk Mario Kart is amazing, but I suck at drinking and driving. Now I just need friends, so we can all play drunk Mario Kart.

Things I discovered: drunk video gaming is so amazing that I may have created an addiction loop during the last 36 months and can't play without beer :smith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

well, maybe bloodstained won't end up this way..I hope. don't fail me, igarashi

Regardless of how well the game is at release you are going to be waiting for updates on that game because as the second highest grossing game kickstarter they promised a ton of loving side content. Like Shovel Knight is great but they're still delivering on kickstarter promises and they were conservative about it.

Bloodstained Stretch Goals:
Artwork Upgraded to Hardcover
2nd Playable Character
Nightmare Difficulty Mode
Voice Acting: David Hayter
Cheat Codes
Local Co-Op
New Boss
Speed Run Mode
Boss Rush Mode
Retro Level
Classic Mode
6 Special 8-bit tracks
IGA's Biggest Castle
Wii U Port (which got changed to Switch, so don't expect it right away)
Asynchronous Online Multiplayer
Vita Port
Orchestrated Tracks
Online Challenge Mode
3rd Playable Character
Prequel mini-game for PC/Consoles
Prequel mini-game for Portables
Roguelike Dungeon
Boss Revenge Mode

Some of those are trivial but also some of those are more complicated than they let on.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

spit on my clit posted:

well, maybe bloodstained won't end up this way..I hope. don't fail me, igarashi

hope not. gave enough money for 2 copies, originally 1 on PS4 and 1 on PC... but I swapped one of them to the Switch... can't remember which. Been on a Metroidvania and platformer kick lately, so hopefully a 2018 release on the Switch

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dog nougat posted:

Things I discovered. Drunk Mario Kart is amazing, but I suck at drinking and driving. Now I just need friends, so we can all play drunk Mario Kart.

Mario Kart has given me tremendous delusions about my ability to drive drunk. I've never done it but I'm pretty sure I'd be awesome at it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phantasium posted:

Regardless of how well the game is at release you are going to be waiting for updates on that game because as the second highest grossing game kickstarter they promised a ton of loving side content. Like Shovel Knight is great but they're still delivering on kickstarter promises and they were conservative about it.

Some of those are trivial but also some of those are more complicated than they let on.

I understand I'm going to be waiting quite a while on that game, I just hope it doesn't disappoint in the same ways Yooka Laylee seems to have for the people that've played it. I feel their complaint is "It's Banjo-Kazooie 2, but I expected it to be like the first one" which isn't an invalid complaint to have.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Afro posted:

half-life: opposing force????
man I was five pages back and I saw the original post asking this and was like "how has nobody posted Opposing Force and Blue Shift yet" but then goddamn I just barely got beaten to it

e: ps golf story fuckin finally

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

KingSlime posted:

Things I discovered: drunk video gaming is so amazing that I may have created an addiction loop during the last 36 months and can't play without beer :smith:

Please seek help for your condition. Alcohol abuse is no joke, I have a friend dying of cirrhosis in his early 30s and he can't stop drinking in spite of the repeated urgings of his doctors, family, and friends

I promise Mario Odyssey will still be good sober

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but have you ever played Super Mario Odyssey... on weeeeeed?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

spit on my clit posted:

I understand I'm going to be waiting quite a while on that game, I just hope it doesn't disappoint in the same ways Yooka Laylee seems to have for the people that've played it. I feel their complaint is "It's Banjo-Kazooie 2, but I expected it to be like the first one" which isn't an invalid complaint to have.

Kickstarter in general always disappoints relative to companies that find funding elsewhere and operate traditionally. That's how it is in tech, in board games, in kitchenware. The best you can expect is acceptable and average

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah but have you ever played Super Mario Odyssey... on weeeeeed?

I was just going to say that video gaming on weed is way better than video gaming on booze.

Healthier too, provided you don't keep an rear end load of junk food in your house.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ventana posted:

As a fighting game, it's got good simple systems and very different and unique character styles. Cool graphics/music/areas and good online. Do not buy for single player content, otherwise it's a surprisingly great fighting game.

I played the demo. It was.... basic, but obviously enough to pique my interest.

I'd probably play online or occasionally with my 5 year old.

Majority would be online. Is it like most fighting games where really good people will just STEAMROLL with huge combos and make me sad all the time? Or is there a nice back and forth? I know that's an odd question because that depends on me... and people. But I mean like, if I get online with Street Fighter, for example, more often than not, I'm going to get trounced, and in a very discouraging way. Is this, you know... like, a fairer shot for everyone?

Maybe that question doesn't make a lick of sense. Answer it or call me an idiot. Or do both! :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Kickstarter in general always disappoints relative to companies that find funding elsewhere and operate traditionally. That's how it is in tech, in board games, in kitchenware. The best you can expect is acceptable and average
I've always found that in general, videogaming kickstarters never live up to the hype. For boardgaming the hit ratio is much better, and some of the better games out there are kickstarted. It's a different industry.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tekopo posted:

I've always found that in general, videogaming kickstarters never live up to the hype. For boardgaming the hit ratio is much better, and some of the better games out there are kickstarted. It's a different industry.

Ok but in board games how many of the most successful kickstarters come from established developers looking for easy cash? That's one thing I really hate. Then there are successful kickstarters that feed off the free money from stretch goals like Kingdom Death and Zombiecide. It's not really about making a good product but crowdsourcing your profits by making people believe they are influencing the design when really they are just giving you free info into how to milk the most people dry.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Videogames are just too expensive for kickstarter. Even an indy title with just a handful of devs/artists is going to be a ton of money for a year or so of development.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shantae turned out alright

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Chernabog posted:

Videogames are just too expensive for kickstarter. Even an indy title with just a handful of devs/artists is going to be a ton of money for a year or so of development.

Bingo

Plus boardgames are something you can find companies that will do a run of x of your game if you got the cash upfront which is where kickstarter makes sense. You can show exactly what you want to do for the game and just need to actually make it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ok but in board games how many of the most successful kickstarters come from established developers looking for easy cash? That's one thing I really hate. Then there are successful kickstarters that feed off the free money from stretch goals like Kingdom Death and Zombiecide. It's not really about making a good product but crowdsourcing your profits by making people believe they are influencing the design when really they are just giving you free info into how to milk the most people dry.
If you want an example, Gloomhaven was a genuinely good indie development that did two kickstarters. The one for the first printing went to 390k, the second one hit nearly 4 million just because people knew that it was a good game. So it can happen. And, as mentioned, boardgaming is a different industry: Stegmaier did develop some games, but they are still a small publisher, and most if not all of his games are crowdfunded, including the hit Scythe.

Don't get me wrong, there is poo poo like the entire catalogue of CMON games, but I've also personally been in quite a few boardgaming KS that delivered exactly what I wanted or better, which hasn't been the game for the limited number of videogaming kickstarters that I backed before deciding that it was too risky.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Team Cherry kickstarted Hollow Knight, but their stretch goals were reasonable. Dunno is any of them have been met yet, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sous vide devices are (were) the only worthwhile items on Kickstarter, in terms of function meeting the sales pitch.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Yeah this is just called alcoholism

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Shantae turned out alright

And Shovel Knight, and Undertale, and Superhot, and Night in the Woods, and Hyper Light Drifter, and The Banner Saga and FTL and Kentucky Route Zero and

(I'm not a fan of all of these games but all of them were received pretty well)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kingdom Death is also loving stupid because the company decided that the $100 basic version of the game selling out meant that people only wanted to buy the $600 titty miniature version

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Macaluso posted:

And Shovel Knight, and Undertale, and Superhot, and Night in the Woods, and Hyper Light Drifter, and The Banner Saga and FTL and Kentucky Route Zero and

Yeah, Kickstarter games aren't all Yooka-Laylee and Star Citizen. There's plenty of games that come out off of Kickstarter that turn out pretty well and many of them people don't even realize were Kickstarter games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Policenaut posted:

many of them people don't even realize were Kickstarter games.

This is definitely the biggest sign of a successful Kickstarter imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

KingSlime posted:

This is definitely the biggest sign of a successful Kickstarter imo

Shovel Knight is the only one of those I knew of ahead of time (well and Shantae) that I knew was Kickstarted, I just simply didn't hear about these games until they were released. Undertale I thought was literally made by Toby Fox alone until I found out that he had help from several people and it also was Kickstarted. I was pretty surprised I didn't see anything about it until then. Same with Night in the Woods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I look forward to ARMS having more entrants than MVCI at EVO Japan

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Macaluso posted:

Shovel Knight is the only one of those I knew of ahead of time (well and Shantae) that I knew was Kickstarted, I just simply didn't hear about these games until they were released. Undertale I thought was literally made by Toby Fox alone until I found out that he had help from several people and it also was Kickstarted. I was pretty surprised I didn't see anything about it until then. Same with Night in the Woods.

Don't forget about Pillars of Eternity, the first really big Kickstarter game after Double Fine. That turned out pretty good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

Pillars of Eternity, both Divinity Original Sin games

there's probably at least a handful of other games I don't remember where I got them on steam and only found out they were kickstarted during the backers scroll in the credits

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Stoned videogaming > drunk videogaming

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah there's plenty of games I didn't take the time to continue listing. Point is plenty of good poo poo comes from Kickstarter. Plenty of bad poo poo too. Just like anything

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Alright so I am trying to talk myself out of FIFA for Switch now since it loses so many features and frostbite. Does portability really matter here, especially since the single player on switch will be so bad? Someone have this chat with me plZ
What’s it missing other than "THE JOURNEY" or whatever? And some technical gameplay thing that I don’t play FIFA enough to know about. Depends how much you care about having a single player story mode in a sports game I guess.

Edit: who cares about sports when Zero Gunner 2 and more Sengoku/Gunbird/Strikers are coming :dance:
http://nintendoeverything.com/zerodiv-bringing-zero-gunner-2-to-switch-soon-other-arcade-games-to-follow/

I have FIFA preordered, :toot: discounts and gift cards

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Undertale I thought was literally made by Toby Fox alone until I found out that he had help from several people and it also was Kickstarted. I was pretty surprised I didn't see anything about it until then.

It's funny because they actually had banner ads on Something Awful advertising it when it was going on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only game that will ever be worth crowdfunding is Swery's The Good Life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What ever happened to that Hoopz Barkley sequel Kickstarter? That was a goon game right?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What ever happened to that Hoopz Barkley sequel Kickstarter? That was a goon game right?

Overdue by like 5 years now. They claim they're still working on it, but it's probably never coming out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I look forward to ARMS having more entrants than MVCI at EVO Japan

MVCI is seriously not actually at EVO Japan.

Unfortunately ARMS and Smash 4 have no actual cash prize.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Marvel vs capcom is a non entity in Japan anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Odyssey comes out October 27th? On a Monday? Might wait until the weekend to get it.

• Locked thread