Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope you're all ready for "I upgraded my macOS despite being advised against it, and now $critical_app crashes, fix it :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope you're all ready for "I upgraded my macOS despite being advised against it, and now $critical_app crashes, fix it :argh:"

I don't have any macs in my environment.

However, I am not looking forward to this being a problem: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208136

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our mac group maintains an iron grip on mac hardware here. If your mac doesn't phone home and give an expected response a couple times a week its hardware address gets blackholed and the only way to undo it is turn in your computer to the help desk so they can reimage it.

It takes them 6 months to certify a new osx release. :downs:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

xzzy posted:

Our mac group maintains an iron grip on mac hardware here. If your mac doesn't phone home and give an expected response a couple times a week its hardware address gets blackholed and the only way to undo it is turn in your computer to the help desk so they can reimage it.

It takes them 6 months to certify a new osx release. :downs:

god that sounds like heaven.

Actually, related subject to that. I'm responsible for testing Windows 10 in our enterprise environment. We're a smallish shop, 750 employees of whom roughly 20% use windows machines. We've just finally started implementing SCCM, and the plan for phasing in Windows 10 machines is to simply not bother upgrading our current users but start giving windows 10 machines to newhires and for replacements/migrations.

Anyways, so I'm responsible for testing Windows 10 and making sure that it doesn't break anything/everything. Besides simply testing for application compatibility, what should I be looking out for on my list of things to test?

Right now on my checklist I have WSUS updates, SCCM integration, imaging with MDT, pushing MSI deployments, Bitlocker, printers (ugh), connecting to our NASes and wifi, group policies, and binding to domain/AD management.

Anything obvious I'm missing in my list of things to test and certify before release? Have around 2 good weeks before I need to give the yea or nay.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

god that sounds like heaven.

Actually, related subject to that. I'm responsible for testing Windows 10 in our enterprise environment. We're a smallish shop, 750 employees of whom roughly 20% use windows machines. We've just finally started implementing SCCM, and the plan for phasing in Windows 10 machines is to simply not bother upgrading our current users but start giving windows 10 machines to newhires and for replacements/migrations.

Anyways, so I'm responsible for testing Windows 10 and making sure that it doesn't break anything/everything. Besides simply testing for application compatibility, what should I be looking out for on my list of things to test?

Right now on my checklist I have WSUS updates, SCCM integration, imaging with MDT, pushing MSI deployments, Bitlocker, printers (ugh), connecting to our NASes and wifi, group policies, and binding to domain/AD management.

Anything obvious I'm missing in my list of things to test and certify before release? Have around 2 good weeks before I need to give the yea or nay.

First login experience (eliminate eula's, intial configurations, other garbage), default start menu layout.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not pissing me off:

"User, did you get your new computer yet?"

User: "Yes I did. It's awesome"

Who get's that excited about a new computer? SSD POWAH PEOPLE

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

We got an email warning us not to upgrade even though the only people who use macs tend to be people who only use SSH to interact with work systems. I can appreciate erring on the side of caution but :shrug:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Is there like a known issue with this release, or is this just general "upgrades could break anything" talk?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Request: I need an older email any way to search for older email?

Okay well we have a policy of "never delete email" because "what if we need it" (yes this is terrible, I've brought up the legal issue but no one wants to hear it, maybe they will when we finally get sued).

Normal issue is cached exchange set to 1 year, no big deal. Not the issue, they need an email from 2003. Well this predates anyone that would know about this. I'm aware of a backup made when we moved off exchange in 2013 it's on a set of 5 USB Drives with every mailbox at that time and every archive related to it.

I found the uses archives, just need to unzip them from the blob because zipping stuff to not buy another drive or buy drives bigger than 250GB makes sense right? This seems like a really small drive size even for 2013.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

pixaal posted:

I found the uses archives, just need to unzip them from the blob because zipping stuff to not buy another drive or buy drives bigger than 250GB makes sense right? This seems like a really small drive size even for 2013.

It sounds like a really cheap drive size for 2013, too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there like a known issue with this release, or is this just general "upgrades could break anything" talk?

If your system drive is an SSD (and if it's not then fix that), it converts the HFS+ volume to APFS. For some reason a lot of the cloud storage apps that sync files seem to install kernel extensions and do low-level poo poo with the file system, which will either crash the Mac or just stop working and you end up locking yourself out of being able to access files.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Things have been pretty dumb here this morning but I'm taking it as a personal challenge to stay cool. So far I've succeeded.

The consultant who has been harping about being fiscally responsible obliged me to buy him almost the most expensive Macbook Pro 13" available. This morning I was switching him over from his personal MBP and it was entertaining to watch him struggle to remember any of his passwords. Like most people he would ask for help but then say "wait" and let me stand there while he flailed and cursed. I'd tell him "I'll be down the hall if you need me" and get another "wait." Help me. Wait. Help me. Wait.

This is similar to how people will call me and I'll immediately go to their office but when I arrive they'll be on a conference call or meeting with someone. I'll knock, they'll wave me in and then they'll look at me like I've barged into their office uninvited. Sometimes they will mutely gesture to something they want help with but be unwilling to speak even a single word of explanation, leaving me to guess what they want. Sometimes they wave me in and just ignore me until I decide to go back to my office.

As I was wrapping up things with the consultant he asked for admin rights, and for the laptop to log him in automatically.

SURE NO PROBLEM BIG FELLA. Wouldn't want you to strain something typing your password in, high-paid consultant who has alternatively told me I'm getting fired and also that he will champion me.

There's been other dumb poo poo too, like the HR person freaking out about Skype, and needing to take control of an abandoned mystery I.T. project that was built last year by a friend of the CEO. But I guess it's better than having nothing to do.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

needing to take control of an abandoned mystery I.T. project that was built last year by a friend of the CEO.

Is this like Bill's drone project because that project really had wings

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mewse posted:

Nah. It went over like a lead balloon.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress you, Joel.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That is why you pay a copier company so that your only action is placing a ticket with them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mewse posted:

A family friend was brought in to do... something. He just showed up one day and asked for a laptop and network access. I was told to get him whatever he wanted. Well, he wanted a new Macbook Pro 15" so I verified it with the CEO and was told to buy it. He asked for a domain name and rights to administer it. I took care of it.

That was the last I heard for about three months, and then I was told he had decided to leave the company. Took the MBP with him, of course. The CEO takes care of his inner circle.

Today the CEO's sister (also on the payroll) forwarded me an email that was branded with the domain name I'd purchased for that fellow. She wanted to know how to get off the distribution list, and said the CEO's cousin (also on the payroll) felt similarly. Problem was I had no clues as to where the email was coming from other than that domain name.

Long story short: the dude had purchase an AWS account, stood up some sort of VPC service, EC2 with a Debian server running on it and was using Mailgun to route the emails. I managed to get control of AWS and Mailgun, but the service running from that Debian server won't let me reset the guy's password so I can't get in. Mailgun doesn't manage the email addresses or lists, only functions as SMTP. I have no idea what to do with the Debian server. I'm not a Linux person and have no admin credentials.

I'm just going to block the emails for those two people and leave this mess alone. For $8 a month who gives a poo poo?

EDIT: The high point was when the CEO's sister referred to this guy as "a putz."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
holy poo poo why would you do anything with any of that

"I did not set this up, and I do not have the proper documentation. My best suggestion is to flatten the whole thing and allow it to be rebuilt as a company resource. Otherwise I am not able to resolve your problem, please contact the putz."

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

xzzy posted:

gently caress you, Joel.

The users were quick to rat Joel out. After I started cleaning it up everyone started blaming "that IT guy with the beard".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

A family friend was brought in to do... something. He just showed up one day and asked for a laptop and network access. I was told to get him whatever he wanted. Well, he wanted a new Macbook Pro 15" so I verified it with the CEO and was told to buy it. He asked for a domain name and rights to administer it. I took care of it.

That was the last I heard for about three months, and then I was told he had decided to leave the company. Took the MBP with him, of course. The CEO takes care of his inner circle.

Today the CEO's sister (also on the payroll) forwarded me an email that was branded with the domain name I'd purchased for that fellow. She wanted to know how to get off the distribution list, and said the CEO's cousin (also on the payroll) felt similarly. Problem was I had no clues as to where the email was coming from other than that domain name.

Long story short: the dude had purchase an AWS account, stood up some sort of VPC service, EC2 with a Debian server running on it and was using Mailgun to route the emails. I managed to get control of AWS and Mailgun, but the service running from that Debian server won't let me reset the guy's password so I can't get in. Mailgun doesn't manage the email addresses or lists, only functions as SMTP. I have no idea what to do with the Debian server. I'm not a Linux person and have no admin credentials.

I'm just going to block the emails for those two people and leave this mess alone. For $8 a month who gives a poo poo?

EDIT: The high point was when the CEO's sister referred to this guy as "a putz."

I don't understand why you don't just shut down the EC2 instance. Assuming the entire thing is orphaned and not used by anyone.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
gently caress SfB. gently caress users who keep an IM thread open for literally forever so that when the IM you, you click accept to their little face and are presented with 3 minutes of nothing because it takes so long to sync/load the conversation history that by the time you're responding to the 'hey' they've already been archived via email.

gently caress SfB doing hanging, randomly, when trying to do a Skype call between specific users for no rhyme or reason, crashing all the IM windows you had open.

I mean, we have to use it because we take business calls via Skype contact, but gently caress!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

gently caress SfB. gently caress users who keep an IM thread open for literally forever so that when the IM you, you click accept to their little face and are presented with 3 minutes of nothing because it takes so long to sync/load the conversation history that by the time you're responding to the 'hey' they've already been archived via email.

gently caress SfB doing hanging, randomly, when trying to do a Skype call between specific users for no rhyme or reason, crashing all the IM windows you had open.

I mean, we have to use it because we take business calls via Skype contact, but gently caress!

Don't worry, that will all be replaced by Teams.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a depressing looking office

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DelphiAegis posted:

I have no idea if this still works, but:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10549/what-is-skype-connect-and-how-does-it-work

In other Skype news, I'm sure glad they bought it to not have to call their product "Lync", because now it's time for

https://partners.office.com/news/article/introducing-a-new-vision-for-intelligent-communications

quote:

As these capabilities are developed, Microsoft Teams will evolve as the primary client for Intelligent Communications in Office 365, replacing the current Skype for Business client over time.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I did not set this up, and I do not have the proper documentation. My best suggestion is to flatten the whole thing and allow it to be rebuilt as a company resource. Otherwise I am not able to resolve your problem, please contact the putz."

This was basically my answer. I told the CEO's sister that if the system is going to continue to be used the putz needs to provide full documentation for administration. If it's not going to be used I'm happy to shut it all off.

Comedy result: they pay the putz even more money to provide docs/administer this dumb thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like he's pretty smart if he managed to walk away with a new laptop and got paid twice for the work

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not really pissing me off, mostly amusing me:

Today I learned that the two "developers" and their manager in one of our other offices stated in a meeting with my boss that I'm "rude and unprofessional" because I don't use Lync. I don't use Lync because when I did, they kept trying to push unplanned work and unapproved changes on me through it, rather than putting it in Jira like they're supposed to. After this little incident their resident PM apparently told everyone to stop using Jira. :haw:

My boss just laughed at them.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

My boss just laughed at them.

A good boss.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This used to be me at the last MSP I worked for, only it was personal computer equipment because our idiot managers decided that, for some clients, we'd support their personal hardware under their contract agreement :downs:

After getting burned too many times and making house calls halfway across town that wasted my time, I flat-out refused to touch any personal hardware. They didn't like it but too drat bad, they can take that garbage to Geek Squad or let some other poor sucker deal with it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This used to be me at the last MSP I worked for, only it was personal computer equipment because our idiot managers decided that, for some clients, we'd support their personal hardware under their contract agreement :downs:

After getting burned too many times and making house calls halfway across town that wasted my time, I flat-out refused to touch any personal hardware. They didn't like it but too drat bad, they can take that garbage to Geek Squad or let some other poor sucker deal with it.

At $AWFUL_JOB some of our client's big fish lived out of state, so I'd routinely fly all over the country to plug in people's Netgear routers and help setup their Apple TVs. One guy, who lived in this McMansion field in the Midwest (I'm in NY) didn't want us to fly out there, so they asked us to setup a network, label all the connections, mail it to him and he'd unpack it and install it.

He got the box that contained one router, one wireless printer, four monitors and a dock, and basically said "no, I changed my mind, come out here and install it." So I'm on a plane to go and plug in five cables.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Do macs still not have a way to centrally administrate updates and software in a buisness environment?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MANime in the sheets posted:

Do macs still not have a way to centrally administrate administer updates and software in a buisness environment?

Please. I know I'm being pedantic but I loving hate that word.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Due to a coworker's vacation, and another one being out on a training/conference thing, I am the sole network guy in our company this week. So I'm coming in early because a lot of our issues happen in the morning. Also means I get to leave early. A minute before I clock out, my phone rings and its my boss. He starts off with "I know you are just about out of here, but lets go over something quick." Something quick is 20 minutes and all of it could have been covered tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do macs still not have a way to centrally administrate updates and software in a buisness environment?

I know nothing about OS X policy enforcement but where I'm at they use a third party thing, was called Casper but is now calling itself jamf.

So I guess that means apple has nothing?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They do ! It's not an Apple solution but jamf.com is your Mac MDM solution. IBM used it for their 100,000 Mac rollout. Apple themselves is involved so far you can add newly purchased Macs to your MDM by serial number. The new machines come out of the box, get put on a network, and start provisioning themselves over the Internet.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mllaneza posted:

They do ! It's not an Apple solution but jamf.com is your Mac MDM solution. IBM used it for their 100,000 Mac rollout. Apple themselves is involved so far you can add newly purchased Macs to your MDM by serial number. The new machines come out of the box, get put on a network, and start provisioning themselves over the Internet.

So.... why is there a problem with people updating osX before it's approved?

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The users were quick to rat Joel out. After I started cleaning it up everyone started blaming "that IT guy with the beard".

There was a time where I was at a company where most of the staff were in contact with the end customer. A great thing was when a customer complained and said 'the guy with the beard'. We all had beards. The BEST one was a customer complaining about one of us after an experience that happened 2 years prior to the complaint. Guy with beard, try again. Guy with beard and glasses, down to 5. The really fat guy with beard and glasses, (that guy got surgery and is now 100KG lighter) - no not him! (it was but no one said poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Not pissing me off:

"User, did you get your new computer yet?"

User: "Yes I did. It's awesome"

Who get's that excited about a new computer? SSD POWAH PEOPLE

We started a W7>W10 transition a few months ago at my old shop. One of our poor accountants had been running on an ancient image on Core i3 machine with 4GB of RAM and a platter drive. It was the most pitiful thing and she had gotten used to the speed of that machine.

So in went a brand new box with a 256GB SSD, 5th-gen Core i5 and 8GB of RAM with our latest and best config. Seeing her face as apps launched instantly was priceless. Those moments keep me going.