Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Okay cool thanks. I enjoy mousing over spoilers and looking at the wiki. This games gonna get weird later on huh.

Also Sharon's voice sounds like a deadly premonition character or something. Makes me laugh

poe meater fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

poe meater posted:

When is the point of no return in the final chapter? Should I spend all my cash on equipment before the festival starts?

The point of no return is after Class VII's concert. If you haven't hit the concert, don't worry about it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Thanks for all the MQ advice. I just finished the game a few minutes ago and I need a goddamn break....

What the gently caress could CS2 even be ABOUT?!?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

Fixing all the poo poo that just got broke.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

snowboarding

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Really Pants posted:

snowboarding

I just want the Skanda Gem, please don't make me do precision minigames for it, Falcom

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Really Pants posted:

snowboarding
Yes.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I just want the Skanda Gem, please don't make me do precision minigames for it, Falcom
Excuse me, I think you'll find that snowboarding is actually amazing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Snowboarding is anything but a precision minigame; that's the problem.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Billzasilver posted:

- Snowboarding
- A competition who can take the title of National Headpatter.
- Getting bailed out of trouble by people who have their poo poo more together than you. :P

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also, Falcom kinda sorta trying their hand at Suikoden-style "castle" building.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's actually about head pats.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Really Pants posted:

Snowboarding is anything but a precision minigame; that's the problem.

Yet it requires me to be more precise than I am capable of, which is part of why I called it such.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I have not seen the snowboarding minigame but if it's in any way possible for mouselook/aim to make controlling it more precise, then that can be a thing

also aaaaaaaAAAAA stop tempting me to finish CS1 and wait months and months :magical:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

also aaaaaaaAAAAA stop tempting me to finish CS1 and wait months and months :magical:

Buddy Trails of Cold Steel 3 releases in Japan in two days, the torment is shared by all of us.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I really need to break the bad habit I've gotten into playing RPGs where I rush the final part. I'm in the final chapter of CS1 and I initially spoke to every NPC at the festival but as soon as there was the time change I just thought 'nope not doing it' and advanced as quick as possible. Same with the shadow dungeon - I chased up most of the chests until the final room where I saw more splitting paths and I just turbo dashed past every one and thing to the last door.

I saved and quit when I was back outside the school on the day of the concert because I know this is the final final stretch and I didn't want to just turbo through probably the last bits of dialogue with all these great characters when it's gonna be months before I can play CS2.

I've got Divinity Original Sin 2 lined up after Cold Steel wraps but then I think I might play the Trails in the Sky games on PC. I have the first two on Vita, and I thought I'd finished SC but I launched it the other day and I was only like 15 hours in, so I might just go back to square one on PC, and replay the first while I'm at it. I've got a bit more framing for the political stuff now.

The Legend of Heroes games give me that same feeling as when I was younger and got drawn into the worlds and characters of games like Skies of Arcadia. There's a good feeling of possibility 'what are they going to do next, where are we going to go, what characters are we going to meet?'. I'm not quite at the end of Cold Steel 1 but we've just had a motherfucking mech reveal like 70 hours into a game which is a good example of the sort of thing I mean.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Definitely go back and play Trails in the Sky if you haven't already, because as much as I like Cold Steel, the Sky trilogy is definitely superior.

Make sure you get a copy of Sky the 3rd too, because that game is arguably better than SC.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Definitely go back and play Trails in the Sky if you haven't already, because as much as I like Cold Steel, the Sky trilogy is definitely superior.

Make sure you get a copy of Sky the 3rd too, because that game is arguably better than SC.

Do the PC versions make enough improvements that you think it's worth buying them again when I've got them on Vita (well except for 3rd)? They retroactively added turbo didn't they?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Turbo's probably the biggest thing, especially if you're going to start over. The games go on sale fairly often (one actually just ended) so if you want to wait you could probably pick up FC and SC for cheap, 3rd is still close to full price though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Turbo is really quite a big deal. Normally for most games I would say just play it on whatever, like I don't really think the added stuff for Cold Steel on PC really makes it worth buying it again, but with those games they're really quite slow and being able to speed them up makes them a lot more enjoyable. You can literally shave 10-20 hours off the play time, if not more, with no downsides.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You don't think 50% more voice acting in a game that's only 70% voiced to begin with isn't worthwhile?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Last Celebration posted:

You don't think 50% more voice acting in a game that's only 70% voiced to begin with isn't worthwhile?

I don't think it's worth spending £30 on when you already own the game. I've already played CS1 with VA missing and have recently been playing CS2 on PS3 and it's fine. It genuinely doesn't really take me out of the game at all, perhaps it does for others. Turbo mode is a much bigger thing imo because you can save so much time and without it the games can feel like a chore to play, which they shouldn't be

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I couldn't put my finger on why CS1 felt so jarring with all the crazy amazing reveals in the final chapter. TitS never felt like that, even the four mysterious towers kind of hinted at the final boss. I think TitS just had better cutaway scenes between chapters? Like in TitS, you see Julia sacrifice herself to save Kloe from a kidnapping, only for the Intelligence Division to be so smart, they had an extra giant airship ready to capture her anyways. in CS, you just see Osborne or the ILF standing around talking. I assume the difference is because Falcon had to divert budget to the new 3d engine?

Hocus Pocus posted:

Do the PC versions make enough improvements that you think it's worth buying them again when I've got them on Vita (well except for 3rd)? They retroactively added turbo didn't they?

You should definitely get Trails in the Sky First Chapter as soon as possible.

When you get to the end, your heart will tell you if you want to buy Second Chapter immediately, or if you want to wait for it to go on sale.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 26, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

The PC translation of FC is tighter and certain scenes make more sense, but other than that, Turbo is the big add.

And yeah, 3rd is PC only, so you wouldn't be able to import your SC data from your PSP copy.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Lol that was some ending. First rpg I finished in a while, turbo mode helped alot. Clocked in at 83:03 on hard with turbo mode used for a good chunk of the game.

Fun characters and good voice acting. Can't wait for cold steel 2.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm so glad I'm here for fresh players' reactions to the ending.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
Gotta say, I was a little dubious about getting this game after Trails in the Sky sent me into a boredom induced coma, but I found this game a lot more engaging and I actually liked the characters in this one. Probably helped that there were a lot more of them to bounce off each other rather than just having 2 characters in the party.

As for the ending, well poo poo, how did I not see that coming when this was basically a Fantasy Code Geass setting what with High Schoolers and Terrorism.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Did you actually finish Trails in the Sky? Because while I can see how that impression came to be at the start, not many folks stick with it all the way through.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalion posted:

Gotta say, I was a little dubious about getting this game after Trails in the Sky sent me into a boredom induced coma, but I found this game a lot more engaging and I actually liked the characters in this one. Probably helped that there were a lot more of them to bounce off each other rather than just having 2 characters in the party.

As for the ending, well poo poo, how did I not see that coming when this was basically a Fantasy Code Geass setting what with High Schoolers and Terrorism.

I am impressed you liked CS as it's somehow slower than Sky.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sky arguably wastes less time in having you tour the world but cold steel gets the ball rolling on its characters way faster and the combat doesn't feel like you're wading through molasses for the first 60 hours

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Some Numbers posted:

I'm so glad I'm here for fresh players' reactions to the ending.

I'm at Ch. 3 right now. I loved Sky and expected CS to be way, way worse than this. Sure, there are more stupid new-school anime tropes here (I can kinda see Agate using a huge fuckoff sword in Sky as he was a buff ex-ruffian but here it's wielded by a skinny teenage girl in a mini skirt) but it still got tons of soul. Trails is the best-written JRPG series I ever played. Everything has so much character here.

Still feel like I'm missing vital info from Zero/Ao though. Who's the dude that's travelling with Anton for example?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Still feel like I'm missing vital info from Zero/Ao though. Who's the dude that's travelling with Anton for example?

The same dude that was always at his side in Sky.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Terminally Bored posted:

That's his bro, Ricky, who makes his first appearance at the same time as Anton.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The guy with Anton? Ricky, obviously. He and Anton are together in every scene in every Trails game aside from that sidequest in SC. (and even then, he was watching over Anton while he was puking his guts out in the bath tub afterwards)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Goddamn, now I have to replay the whole Sky trilogy AGAIN.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I also just finished Cold Steel 1, came in at around 75 hours, and it was great! Its a testament to this game's writers (and localizers) that I was able to keep track of, and be invested in, such a large extended cast's stories. So many nice moments during the festival!

How about that last 1-2 hours! So many reveals! Crow's reveal was sort of wasted on me because I'd seen promo art for one of the sequels where he was obviously a villain, and was wielding C's weapon. I didn't mind it with the context of Osbourne's expansionism - probably the most true to life motivation for a terrorist in a game tbh. It makes me want to keep an eye on lore about Jurai when I go back to play the TitS games. Same with a lot of lore actually. I was kind of happy to see that they grounded the soldats in the political intrigue that'd been building through the game - I was worried when they dropped in after Crow shot Osborne that they were going to be part of some other group, like Ouroboros instead of the Noble Faction. Mech final boss fight was a good way to dial things up. Crow saying he's had his Divine Knight for three years - does that come up in either of the other arcs?

A pretty big cliffhanger, but didn't hit me as bad as TitS first chapter. I think just because CS1's ending for me is about wanting to see where the plot will go, and TitS was about what would happen with characters - more of an emotional cliffhanger.

Gonna play D:OS 2 and then go back and replay TitS first chapter on PC (which I finished a few years ago and never showed the lore much interest but will this time around) and restart SC (which I got like ten hours in), and play FC. Hopefully by the time I'm through those, the fan translations of the Crossbell games will be done! I'm guessing its unlikely we'll see official releases for them any time soon with all the labour required to localize CS 2 and 3?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hocus Pocus posted:

How about that last 1-2 hours! So many reveals! Crow's reveal was sort of wasted on me because I'd seen promo art for one of the sequels where he was obviously a villain, and was wielding C's weapon. I didn't mind it with the context of Osbourne's expansionism - probably the most true to life motivation for a terrorist in a game tbh. It makes me want to keep an eye on lore about Jurai when I go back to play the TitS games. Same with a lot of lore actually. I was kind of happy to see that they grounded the soldats in the political intrigue that'd been building through the game - I was worried when they dropped in after Crow shot Osborne that they were going to be part of some other group, like Ouroboros instead of the Noble Faction. Mech final boss fight was a good way to dial things up. Crow saying he's had his Divine Knight for three years - does that come up in either of the other arcs?

(TitS) SC adds some background about the Empire and Prince Olivert, and The 3rd sets up the prince's "friendly rivalry" with the chancellor, but there's nothing about Jurai or the Divine Knights.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
By the time you finish SC and 3rd, both of which will enhance your experience of Cold Steel 1 and 2's plot, I imagine Cold Steel 2 will either be released or close to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm at Ch. 3 right now. I loved Sky and expected CS to be way, way worse than this. Sure, there are more stupid new-school anime tropes here (I can kinda see Agate using a huge fuckoff sword in Sky as he was a buff ex-ruffian but here it's wielded by a skinny teenage girl in a mini skirt) but it still got tons of soul.

i dont understand, you're acting like a girl with a giant sword is a bad thing

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There's no mention of Jurai in the sky games but there is mention of the event that eventually lead to Jurai's annexation in SC and 3rd. FC is more focused on Liberl itself and how it's been recuperating(or in the case of Richard, very much the opposite) since the failed invasion by Erebonia. SC gets into the events and secrets of the war proper and 3rd is when they blast open the lore with a cannon and we get to learn way more about the other countries of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I guess I'm asking for CS1 specifically, but where can I find details about NG+ only quests in all the games?

• Locked thread