Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And uhhh, if you're Frat you really wanna get Rome under control. Fab a claim, unveil and restore the fraticelli papacy.

Gray's; you now have your own personal crusades.

It's worth noting that vassal religious heads can't declare crusades/great holy wars/jihads if vassal wars are outlawed. Something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've got a save where the HRE keeps getting into a war with me with no declaration. No popup, no nothing, just all of a sudden a bunch of 10k stacks of soldiers who were wandering around my territory already go red, and there's nothing I can do. Why does this keep happening? It feels like some kind of bug.

It's extra annoying since I went through all the effort of waiting for the realm to prosper.

Is it possible you've turned off the war declarations in your message settings?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I am trying to get into this game it seems really great but how do i turn off all the hover over info? i've been trying to google it for 30 minutes and can't find anything. I've watched some youtubes and whenever they hover over it just shows the province name and terrain type without all the other bullshit

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Those youtubes are probably using an older version of the game, most of that info was added relatively recently.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What dlc added the fourth option for your councilors? Finally I can do something with my Seer that isn't attracting warriors once every decade.

By the way, ck2 is on sale this weekend if anyone's missing dlc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
what the heck is the kingdom of ghana and why is it squatting over my magnificent kingdom of mali

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

what the heck is the kingdom of ghana and why is it squatting over my magnificent kingdom of mali

mali didn't exist as a polity until the 1300s

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
As leader of the Shiite Caliphate of Iceland, I find that arguement invalid and odd

I should have rephrased the question perhaps; why is the Sultanate of Ghana existing at the same time as the Sultanate of Mali, as two separate king level titles?

(also Socotra should not get caravan raiders lol. I INFILTRATE YOUR SEA TENTS!)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

CascadeBeta posted:

What dlc added the fourth option for your councilors? Finally I can do something with my Seer that isn't attracting warriors once every decade.

I think it was monks and mystics or it might be sons of Abraham.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Monks and Mystics.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Sabotaging provinces is, blegh. Some of the effects are beyond worthless (tech spread penalties? Build cost?) And some are powerful but situational (-50% siege defense? Hot drat!) And one, which increases revolt chance by 10% for like 3 years has a lot of potential.

But. BUT. The random MTTH system they use makes it all so poo poo. Like, this feels strictly inferior to total war, where you can do this to others and defend against it.

Here, it feels kinda tacked on. And the fact that it's confined to one province...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hunting Apostates is pretty much mandatory for Court Chaplains unless you really need them to proselytize. Keeps cults culled as much as possible so that hopefully you don't end up with half your vassals flipping Zoroastrian or something overnight.

Plus there's the added benefit of the resulting executions being completely free (no opinion malus even) and it helps get rid of shithead vassals and disrupt other dynasties' efforts to amass power.

The executions are especially awesome when playing patricians, for whom murdering rivals is a part of daily life.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 22, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So many loving Christians, Hel worshipers and randos when playing Norse

maybe having them only have one drat society ain't that great an idea...

on the other hand, it's pretty funny kidnapping random people as one of the minor devil worshipers, forcing them into the society, then forcing them into matri-marriages and poo poo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I always overuse hel/satan powers and then a witch hunter kills me.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
having a demon daughter that kills or incapacitates all 4 of my sons is stupid. what can I do besides imprisoning her

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Gone Fashing posted:

having a demon daughter that kills or incapacitates all 4 of my sons is stupid. what can I do besides imprisoning her

She'll escape from prison, so you have to imprison and execute her if you really want her gone. The good (?) news is that the events that kill her brothers stop when she reaches adulthood.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Huh. Haven't seen that happen before. Custom Kingdom made by the AI after an independence revolt looks like

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

With the sale going on, which expansions are worth getting? I have up to Way of Life and haven't played in a long time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

With the sale going on, which expansions are worth getting? I have up to Way of Life and haven't played in a long time.

Horse Lords lets you play as nomads, which basically lets you burn and salt Earth.
Conclave adds some challenge to King- and Emperor-level rulers, as you have to balance having good Councillors against keeping your vassals happy.
The Reaper's Due makes illness something to worry about, introduces epidemics and makes the Black Death semi-apolcalyptic.
Monks and Mystics introduces Societies which are fun... if not exactly fleshed-out.

Of those, I'd say Conclave and Reaper's Due are essential, with Horse Lords being worth buying just so you can try out playing as a nomad from time-to-time.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Reminder: you can't appoint a horse to your council unless you have Horse Lords.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008
I would agree that Reaper's Due is essential, I would probably say make sure you actually want Conclave features before buying it. Horse Lords also adds the Silk Road I do believe, which is a fun system especially if you're a republic. Monks and Mystics is fun but definitely not a must-buy.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I recently installed Conclave, and I'm glad I did, because the character events continue to be the best ever. My current character is the Byzantine Emperor and Great-Grandchild of Despot Theodoros the Gay Not-Celibate Drunkard, who ended up chasing tail while trying to pursue the king of the neighboring kingdom for 20 years, but ending up falling in love and staying in a monogamous relationship with another man in his court. Who made advances on Theodoros right after Theodoros caught the man's wife cheating with some Baron Syphilis of Fucksburg. As I guess one does when you're a character in Crusader Kings II. "Oh, my wife was cheating on me? Oh, wow, thanks for letting me know, I....hold on. Is my gaydar working correctly here? You're gay and single AND king? Wow, it was...uh. Really nice meeting you. I'll see you again. ;)"
Anyway. I'm playing his great-grandchild, and got the event where I could introduce my adolescent son and heir to the throne to the realm. Everything is going pretty well until he gets an incredible infatuation with one of the wives of my Dukes. My Duke is 54. The wife is 40. My son is *12*. He's going to be known as Prince Georgious the Cougar Chaser, I just know it.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
well my demon spawn daughter ended up being a genius and quick. More than doubled the size of her realm and had 9 kids with 5 dudes including the one legged pirate prince bishop of trier. couldnt stay away from that parrot on his shoulder

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

well my demon spawn daughter ended up being a genius and quick. More than doubled the size of her realm and had 9 kids with 5 dudes including the one legged pirate prince bishop of trier. couldnt stay away from that parrot on his shoulder

User Avatar checks out.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks all. I think I'll grab conclave and reaper's due

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The buttons for "Order to Take the Vows" and "Imprison" really, really, shouldn't be right next to each other. With a -40 Tyrrany opinion modifier for 20 years, my Ironman game is about to get reaaaaaallly interesting.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 24, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
On the bright side, they did rid you of that meddlesome priest.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Catalina posted:

The buttons for "Order to Take the Vows" and "Imprison" really, really, shouldn't be right next to each other. With a -40 Tyrrany opinion modifier for 20 years, my Ironman game is about to get reaaaaaallly interesting.

Yesterday I learned that if you

1. Try to imprison a scheming vassal and fail, so that he declares a rebellion on you,
2. And he happens to be allied with three of your other vassals, so they automatically join his rebellion,

then

3. When you crush the rebellion all four of them get imprisoned, just as though it was a faction revolt.

Sounds great, right? Except:

4. Only the imprisonment of the vassal you tried to imprison is considered justified. The rest incur unavoidable tyranny.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So I'm playing as a female ruler, and just had my first legitimate son. As a card-carrying member of the Fellowship of Hel with the Attractive trait and the Seduction focus, I'd slept with half my vassals trying to make an heir, but this one was legit my husband's. I got the pop-up telling me I had a new heir, and was about to switch over to another focus, when I got another pop-up reading "My husband has acknowledged the bastard he had with some slut". Next to portraits of me and our newborn son, who now shows up as a bastard. We're in a matrilineal marriage and my husband is a nobody, should that have been a thing that happened? :psyduck:

Not denying the slut thing, I am known as "the Unfaithful", after all. But I'm thinking this is grounds for divorce and/or human sacrifice

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 24, 2017

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The game's a little weird about parentage stuff. The other day I married a woman who was pregnant at the time (I assumed recently-widowed but once the kid was born it showed some living lowborn nobody as the dad so I guess it was an event thing) and when she gave birth a few months later my guy lost his mind that she gave birth to a child that wasn't his and I had the option to legitimately imprison her at the top of my screen until she died.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
I bought the game yesterday thanks to the Steam sale.

After doing the tutorial, I thought It would be fun to play the King of Scotland.

Welp, a nobody rebelled and I lost the throne because I still suck at war.

Then I played as my son, the Earl of Wessex. Super gay.

Didn't stop him from having eight children though. And three marriages.

Then I married off my sister to the King of France. This let me marry off the rest of my family into the French and English royal families.

I love this game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
New Dev Diary about poking China with a sword.

Basically you can raid them to gain random wealth, try and open the Silk Road if they're Isolationist (through diplomacy, war, or just saying "I am the Silk Road now" and opening it), or deciding to put a member of your dynasty on the Dragon Throne and fighting a colossal war against 100k+ Chinese troops, high-quality and with great commanders, while having a levy reinforcement penalty of 75%, with really powerful boons if you win.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Viking China :getin:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I'm confused. Haven't played in awhile. Are they actually adding China to the map, or making it an off map interactable thing?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm confused. Haven't played in awhile. Are they actually adding China to the map, or making it an off map interactable thing?

They're not adding China, but basically everyone near the east edge of the map and also in close contact to the Silk Road can interact with China. China can also potentially invade the eastern part of the map.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

It's an off-map thing that you can interact with through a special interface. There's a Chinese horde-type thing (The Western Protectorate) that can show up on the eastern edge of the map, and you can have Chinese courtiers.

e: beaten

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The thing I'm really interested in tbh is Monastic Feudalism. The fact that it seems to have cultural as well as religious barriers seems sad tho

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zero One posted:

Viking China :getin:

Zoroastrian Viking China :getin:

scaterry