Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Grendels Dad posted:

I've got this idea for a Misery remake and a sledge hammer lying around, Jared Leto should call me we are going to get him that Oscar.

Excuse me, another Oscar.

This seems like it could backfire on you, the writer of this remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

To play Mark David Chapman, he gained a bunch of weight by eating melted ice cream mixed with soy sauce and olive oil, which gave him gout. He went around laughing in downtown Toronto and noted people's reactions to get his Joker laugh. The man is such a self-parody, it's amazing.

He's having such a good time making a mockery of method acting. He and Christian Bale should do Face/Off 2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Method acting is bloody stupid.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a rumor that Leto is the next Cosby. No idea if he'll pull a Townsend and claim he was doing research.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Casimir Radon posted:

There's a rumor that Leto is the next Cosby. No idea if he'll pull a Townsend and claim he was doing research.

I wouldn't even need proof, the guy fronts an emo band for gently caress's sake. There's no way he wasn't having sex with underage groupies.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

There's a rumor that Leto is the next Cosby.
That is some really out-there casting.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wouldn't even need proof, the guy [Jared Leto] fronts an emo band for gently caress's sake. There's no way he wasn't having sex with underage groupies.

Yeah, really. Why else would a man in his forties make music that panders to misunderstood teenage girls?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of course, but seriously.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's having such a good time making a mockery of method acting. He and Christian Bale should do Face/Off 2.

SWEAR TO MEEEE THAT HANDEL WAS A HACK

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

That is some really out-there casting.

it does fit with his method acting

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Casimir Radon posted:

Didn't he send anal beads and used condoms to other stars on the Suicide Squad set?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't he send anal beads and used condoms to other stars on the Suicide Squad set?

No.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jared Leto murdered all of his costars and that's why Affleck is not in The Batman.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite method acting story is about Jim Carrey in Man on the Moon. He stayed in character as Andy Kaufman the whole shoot, and when it came time to shoot the story of Andy vs Jerry "The King" Lawler, he was a complete dick to Jerry. So much so that Lawler pulled Milos Foreman aside and said "Does he know that Andy and I were friends?"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It's still hilarious that Robert Downey Jr played Kirk Lazarus on the commentary track of Tropic Thunder.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm a big fan of the theory that the reason why method actors are overwhelmingly male is because at it's core it's about performative suffering to offset their insecurity about doing something that isn't considered traditionally masculine

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's still hilarious that Robert Downey Jr played Kirk Lazarus on the commentary track of Tropic Thunder.

Until the credits rolled

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Mann posted:

I'm a big fan of the theory that the reason why method actors are overwhelmingly male is because at it's core it's about performative suffering to offset their insecurity about doing something that isn't considered traditionally masculine

Possibly, though could just be that women don't usually get cast the kind of roles that have those expectations, or appearances besides the traditionally attractive mold.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jared Leto's band didn't start out as emo. It was more of an alt-metal/space-rock type thing. The self-titled album that came out in 2002 is actually pretty loving great. Leto has a legitimately great voice when he uses it right. Their future looked promising after that, but then they became the emo band everyone knows today.

Also they totally did a song with Kanye around the 808s & Heartbreak era but scrapped his part and just released the Kanye-less version for the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnMYmL7Fbs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jared Leto's band didn't start out as emo. It was more of an alt-metal/space-rock type thing. The self-titled album that came out in 2002 is actually pretty loving great. Leto has a legitimately great voice when he uses it right. Their future looked promising after that, but then they became the emo band everyone knows today.

The Mission is a good song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MacheteZombie posted:

The Mission is a good song.
It really is. Unfortunately they don't even play anything from that album live anymore to my knowledge.

If you watch their documentary Artifact on Netflix about them fighting with their record label, it's pretty hilarious. Leto thinks he's god's gift to music. Honestly, if he wasn't such a smug rear end in a top hat and 30STM had stuck to their roots, they probably would've had an amazing career.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I haven't heard much of their first or most recent albums, but I really like both A Beautiful Lie and This Is War.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I never thought 30 Seconds to Mars was that good but I did like A Beautiful Lie. Although I haven't listened to it since High School / College so I might be wayyy wrong here

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They basically had the exact same trajectory as Linkin Park in that they abandoned their unique identity and morphed into a lovely U2 clone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jared Leto went full method and apparently acted blind for the entire shoot.

He didn't "act" blind, he bought special contacts that he couldn't see through and wore them whenever he was on set.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsieurChoc posted:

"The Guardian posted:

A showbiz story involves his collaboration with Laurence Olivier on the 1976 film Marathon Man. Upon being asked by his co-star how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours to achieve emotional verisimilitude. “My dear boy,” replied Olivier smoothly, “why don’t you just try acting?” (Hoffman subsequently attributed his insomnia to excessive partying rather than artistry).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anonymous John posted:

Yeah, really. Why else would a man in his forties make music that panders to misunderstood teenage girls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W64pLR3WjM

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nothing he does is any stupider than the guys who built legends around it, he just has 0 charisma if you're older than 21 and so it's easy to see the emperor's dick is out. I legitimately appreciate that service

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Method Acting is great, what are you talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIkdr64_cCo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Method Acting is great, what are you talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIkdr64_cCo

That's not Method Acting, this is Method Acting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DeimosRising posted:

Nothing he does is any stupider than the guys who built legends around it, he just has 0 charisma if you're older than 21 and so it's easy to see the emperor's dick is out. I legitimately appreciate that service

Yeah, I said method acting is stupid, not Leto. Thus implying anyone who method acts is stupid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, I feel like Leto tends to actually give pretty good performances. He clearly gets something out of it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Method acting is the result of a mistranslation and shouldn't exist

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

It's kind of amazing Hoffmann went on to have the career he did after being owned this hard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Method acting is the result of a mistranslation and shouldn't exist

How do you mean?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really hope I never have to watch cinema discusso discuss hip hop again

meanwhile uhhhh
http://www.empireonline.com/people/david-oyelowo/david-oyelowo-star-cyrano-moor-disney/

quote:

While it might seem as though Disney is mostly occupied making live-action versions of its animated classics, the studio is also getting into business with people interested in original new ideas. Or in this case, a mash-up of two existing ones. David Oyelowo is on working with Moonlight story writer Tarell Alvin McCraney on a musical called Cyrano The Moor.

As the title might suggest, this appears to blend Edmond Rostand's 1897 play about the self-doubting poet who helps a handsome man woo the woman he secretly wants to win over himself, and William Shakespeare's tragedy Othello. It's early days still, but according to Deadline, the resulting mixture will be set in Bristol in the 19th century.

It's certainly an intriguing proposition – Oyelowo has been doing and driving interesting work and McCraney is a proven writing talent whose work spurred Moonlight to Oscar glory (he shared a trophy for the screenplay with director Barry Jenkins). The combination of the two, and the idea itself is certainly promising.

Next up for Oyelowo are movies such as Gringo, Chaos Walking and the film formerly known as God Particle, which is now an untitled entry in the Cloverfield shared universe.
can't say I care about a cloverfield shared universe that doesn't have more lizzy caplan

p.s. shia owns jared leto owns jaden smith owns sorry goons

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taking two existing things and mashing them together, finally an original idea!

Here let me try

(Hamlet holds a knife, contemplating suicide)
Hamlet: To be... or not to be. That is the question.
(suddenly a mysterious stranger bursts into the room)
???: Is that a dagger I see before me?
Hamlet: Who are you!?
Macbeth: I'm Macbeth, the King of Scotland. And I'm here to stop you from making a terrible mistake. There are dark forces controlling our lives. Tell me, in your travels... have you ever come across a bard by the name of William Shakespeare?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 26, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

p.s. shia owns jared leto owns jaden smith owns sorry goons

This.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jaden destroyed his dad's career. I suppose you could call that an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Jaden destroyed his dad's career. I suppose you could call that an accomplishment.
hey, he's got that Max Landis film that poses the definitely not corny & worn out proposition "WHAT IF BROWN PEOPLE WERE LIKE, ORCS, MAN"
they should stop fuckin with whatever the gently caress shadowrun is and adapt some Michael Swanwick if they want that sorta poo poo.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Taking two existing things and mashing them together, finally an original idea!

Here let me try

(Hamlet holds a knife, contemplating suicide)
Hamlet: To be... or not to be. That is the question.
(suddenly a mysterious stranger bursts into the room)
???: Is that a dagger I see before me?
Hamlet: Who are you!?
Macbeth: I'm Macbeth, the King of Scotland. And I'm here to stop you from making a terrible mistake. There are dark forces controlling our lives. Tell me, in your travels... have you ever come across a bard by the name of William Shakespeare?
you've suddenly got me hyped for the Shakespeare Cinematic Universe. I'm just picturing Titus showing up in the next scene.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 26, 2017

• Locked thread