Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought a bunch of games too but all I've been playing is Yakuza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm so thankful for the modern FFIX port and its fast-forward feature. I've replayed this wonderful game so many times but never bothered to do a bunch of the optional stuff because it's normally a timesink I'm not willing to invest in one go, but I was able to "100%" the game in no time (or 15 hours to be exact). It's my fav FF game and being able to strike All BLU MAG, 101 frogs and Excalibur II off my bucketlist is massively feelgood.
Fastforwarding affects only gameplay, so ingame timers during minigames and such remain in normal speed. This would probably have topped out at 30 hours otherwise. Blessed.

FauxLeather fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 25, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Grouchio posted:

I preordered Danganronpa V3 tonight! Whose else has?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

I bought a bunch of games too but all I've been playing is Yakuza
That's the right decision though.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I bought Prey.

Guess I'll never start Dishonored 2

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finished Tyranny. It was good, though the ending came across as a bit rushed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tyranny was pretty good. It along with pillars of eternity did however confirm that real-time-with-pause combat was always bad and I just tolerated it when I was younger.

I'll take turn-based combat like in Original Sin 2 over it any day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat in pillars and tyranny is fine. Tyranny suffers a bit from lack of enemy variety and the skill/spell cooldowns needed tweaking bit Pillars is :chef emoji:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

Tyranny was pretty good. It along with pillars of eternity did however confirm that real-time-with-pause combat was always bad and I just tolerated it when I was younger.

I'll take turn-based combat like in Original Sin 2 over it any day.

It's ironic how RTwP combat systems are often times choppier and slower than true TB because your party AI is often so goddamn stupid that you have to hit space every split second just to keep them from gleefully running into the fire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you can disable party AI tho

the only problem i have with RTwP is that the best way to play it is to pause and give orders to everyone, every time they finish their action. if you made a system that was "turn based" but still had everyone acting simultaneously then that would be cool. but that's what RTwP in Pillars already is, so.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i was looking forward to secret of mana but then they said they won't put in online co-op and it's like wtf

People by and large still don't give a gently caress about that series so the idea of them not implementing poo poo like that isn't too outrageous to me.

The Colonel posted:

as long as they just make general combat improvements it'll still probably be better than the original

secret of mana is a very pretty game but that combat system has aged worse than final fantasy adventure somehow

Hopefully they include the stuff from the iOS/Android release. Funnily enough adding a hitspark on your attacks does a lot to inform you of how the battle system works, because in the old days your attacks would miss in the "you failed a roll" RPG way but you got absolutely no feedback on it for the SNES version so it just looks like wonky hitboxes.

al-azad posted:

I've come to terms that the Mana series is the most inconsistent beloved series. Nobody really talks about the first game in any of its iterations except to laugh at how overly wordy Sword is describing the antics of a character named DarkLord.

I love it.

quote:

Secret is beloved but it's a buggy mess with an awful magic grinding system and under the hood it's mashed potatoes.

You don't need to grind magic ever.

quote:

I actually found someone who likes Children, the totally not-Diablo game.p

Children was terrible because it tried to fake-use the physics system from the PS2 game so occasionally you'd get knocked into a barrel and bounced between a bunch of objects in the environment with no control until you died.

quote:

I've literally never met anyone who likes the PS2 game, which has a lot in common with Kingdoms of Amalur, or that RTS game.

Dawn of Mana is nothing like Kingdoms of Amalur. It's a slower Kingdom Hearts with a Half-Life 2 style physics system where you have to throw junk in the environment at monsters to scare the poo poo out of them long enough to beat them to death. Also I love it, still one of the prettiest games on the PS2.

quote:

And are people playing those mobile titles?

Presumably or else they wouldn't have bothered with the SoM remake. The series was super dead after that World of Mana project and the only reason it's really coming back is because the person they got for the non-SoM mobile titles really cared about this dead series and was always hopeful about making a game for consoles. Rise of Mana may have been a standard gacha thing but it still looked super pretty, and Adventures of Mana was a fantastic remake that knew that it really only needed to touch the graphics and music. But I am glad it came out on Vita because gently caress touch screens.

Fun fact, they didn't update anything about the charge system in Secret of Mana iOS so you still had to hold onto a button on the screen to charge moves. It doesn't work that well, strangely!

Also,

Ometeotl posted:

Samus Returns is GotM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

What's GotM?

The XCOM 2 expansion is really, really good if you so much as "kinda liked" the base game. The new stuff is quite exciting and it all feels good and balanced

Picross S

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Dawn of Mana is nothing like Kingdoms of Amalur. It's a slower Kingdom Hearts with a Half-Life 2 style physics system where you have to throw junk in the environment at monsters to scare the poo poo out of them long enough to beat them to death. Also I love it, still one of the prettiest games on the PS2.

It's shares a lot in common in that it's a huge, empty world populated with nothing but monsters because they couldn't create any real content for it.

And you totally have to grind some magic because bosses will quickly outclass you in damage. A combination of instant hit magic, limited inventory, damage sponge bosses, and brain dead AI make magic the only feasible way to plow through the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

At least the first game had actual cases to solve and not the random bullshit the second game had.

Regy Rusty posted:

The second game basically killed any interest I had in the series

I don't know much about the series aside from their setups and some context-less spoilers. Is there anything you can tell me to explain why the second game is so bad? Feel free to spoil me, I'm likely never gonna play them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DR2 being bad is new to me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

It's shares a lot in common in that it's a huge, empty world populated with nothing but monsters because they couldn't create any real content for it.

The game has linear levels, though? I mean I guess they're wide open but I don't understand how baby's first DMC RPG with WoW trappings has anything to do with a Mana game.

quote:

And you totally have to grind some magic because bosses will quickly outclass you in damage. A combination of instant hit magic, limited inventory, damage sponge bosses, and brain dead AI make magic the only feasible way to plow through the game.

What? No, just charge your attacks. Like the only gotcha in SoM is Spiky Tiger because you still have low HP and no magic. And maybe one of the walls if you don't understand the gimmick right away.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

What? No, just charge your attacks. Like the only gotcha in SoM is Spiky Tiger because you still have low HP and no magic. And maybe one of the walls if you don't understand the gimmick right away.

Charge attacks aren't as reliable as magic. If you don't queue it up right you won't hit whatever the game considers a hit box, or the enemy hasn't taken damage from the last few hits against it and your charge attack is ignored, or the enemy knocks you flat with an attack you can't dodge.

Spiky seems like a wall everyone bounced off but for me it was the rocket bike knight who will fly in from the different sides of the screen, has a weirdly huge area attack, and if your magic sucks you won't have any chance of healing his crazy damage.

I really want to see SoM under the hood because it's like someone took a turn based system and somehow made an action game out of it. Like imagine Knights of the Old Republic but you have to mash a button to attack so you get weird moments where an enemy is 20 feet away but damage numbers still pop above you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

Charge attacks aren't as reliable as magic. If you don't queue it up right you won't hit whatever the game considers a hit box, or the enemy hasn't taken damage from the last few hits against it and your charge attack is ignored, or the enemy knocks you flat with an attack you can't dodge.

Spiky seems like a wall everyone bounced off but for me it was the rocket bike knight who will fly in from the different sides of the screen, has a weirdly huge area attack, and if your magic sucks you won't have any chance of healing his crazy damage.

I really want to see SoM under the hood because it's like someone took a turn based system and somehow made an action game out of it. Like imagine Knights of the Old Republic but you have to mash a button to attack so you get weird moments where an enemy is 20 feet away but damage numbers still pop above you.

It's because the game operates on a hidden turn system where you can only queue up 1 attack past a turn and where turns start after the first attack. And also you can roll a miss on an attack and also enemies can roll a dodge and you can do the same. (Or maybe the misses are dodges, I don't remember exactly.)

ie, you have three people in your party, you attack a monster. For like two seconds or however long while the damage numbers are up, you or one of your other party members can queue up one attack, and it'll process on the next turn. If you try to attack after one is already queued up it gets ignored. Regular rear end enemies can get stunlocked by this, but bosses will eventually break out of it with certain attacks or magic. If you're worried about other party members taking up the queue and stealing your turn then you tell them to back off and stay away and basically just use them as magic batteries.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 25, 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
For the 8th September in a row the game of the month is once again Bethesda's magnum opus - WET

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

and the game of the month is..... [everyone groans and like looks at twitter while i make a big to do] wow it's eu4 again !! woww!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it's samus returns

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's Demon's Souls. And also Prey for me. It'd probably be XCOM 2 expac or Dishonored 2 expac if I had bought those yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2 :troll:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Samus Retuns which is a pleasant surprise considering the record of the studio that made it. I cant put this game down at all.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its shaping up to be divinity 2 for me but I also really liked metroid and the dishonored dlc.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, Destiny 2 for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I liked Divinity: Unoriginal Sin 2 and also was pleasantly surprised by Life Will Be Strange. Those were the only games I played in September.

Oh I guess I also finished Oxenfree yesterday but that was just okay.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oxenfree was good but it was brought down for me what is probably an unfair amount by the fact I couldn't stand the step brother character.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know much about the series aside from their setups and some context-less spoilers. Is there anything you can tell me to explain why the second game is so bad? Feel free to spoil me, I'm likely never gonna play them.

The cases in the second game are really bad (other than a certain one which is admittedly amazing and better than anything in 1) and involve logic and motives that the player has no ability to reason ahead of time. Case 2 has one character give us her alibi as to why she couldn't be the killer, as she was swimming in the ocean at the time. This goes into a segue about something odd she noticed about the island while she was swimming and was meant as a hint to the mystery of the island that they're on and whatnot. It turns out that she was the culprit though and she never went swimming...which somehow doesn't undo the mystery she said she discovered while swimming. It's just bad writing and this is not the only example.

EDIT:

Hmm, maybe DR3 will be good after all.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 25, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Palpek posted:

But seriously, whoever came up with the idea to let you bounce Space Invaders' projectiles back at them using Arkanoid mechanics is a cool person.

Are there other examples of good mash-up games?

What's this called? I could use something like this for the slow times at work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Oxenfree was good but it was brought down for me what is probably an unfair amount by the fact I couldn't stand the step brother character.

I thought the entire game was way too talky for its length, like it didn't have enough confidence in its environment or storytelling to just let the player absorb the atmosphere for themselves. I also thought the voice direction was inconsistent, like even the highly emotional beats were all delivered rapid fire style and a lot of it came across as simply reading from a script. It was okay though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gotm is the wonderswan remake of final fantasy legend which actually really loving owns holy poo poo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

The cases in the second game are really bad (other than a certain one which is admittedly amazing and better than anything in 1) and involve logic and motives that the player has no ability to reason ahead of time. Case 2 has one character give us her alibi as to why she couldn't be the killer, as she was swimming in the ocean at the time. This goes into a segue about something odd she noticed about the island while she was swimming and was meant as a hint to the mystery of the island that they're on and whatnot. It turns out that she was the culprit though and she never went swimming...which somehow doesn't undo the mystery she said she discovered while swimming. It's just bad writing and this is not the only example.

EDIT:

Hmm, maybe DR3 will be good after all.

It's been a while so I can't speak with clarity but I don't think there's much of a difference. Both games take the Phoenix Wright approach where you can usually guess who did it but you're missing a big piece of the puzzle that actually explains how/why and this is the same with few exceptions. Like the second case in the first game has a literal trial stopping reveal and then a later case makes no sense until they have to introduce a brand new character (which was fun to look back at the beginning and go "oooooooooh"). I don't remember them talking about the island but all the characters hung out at the beach before the case, and even the main character makes an observation about the island in the chapter before so there's nothing farfetched about people seeing weird stuff.

The only one that really stood out as dumb to me was the fourth case. Partly because the villain was my favorite character, partly because the big reveal is unimpressive. The future anime would actually do this exact case but make it a million times better.

But I don't know, in the heirarchy of things I definitely remember the second game's cases more. The first game had a better finale and early game, but the sequel had a better mid-game and that loving penultimate chapter (if you're talking about what I think you are) is goddamn great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game of the month is this weird new clicker where you look for keywords in your friends' Facebook posts that indicate which ones you should Unfriend and never talk to again.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

precision posted:

Game of the month is this weird new clicker where you look for keywords in your friends' Facebook posts that indicate which ones you should Unfriend and never talk to again.

Game of the year, turns out

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Just found this thread. Has there been any new info on Ruiner? Seems like this one would have way more hype but no one is talking about it. I'm surprised there isn't a standalone thread for it. It comes out tomorrow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you want VN murder mysteries play Ace Attorney or Umineko; DR is super shallow by comparison even before you get into the inanity of the second game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My imported copy of Last Window is only a mere (checks tracking) 3 weeks from being delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If you want VN murder mysteries play Ace Attorney or Umineko; DR is super shallow by comparison even before you get into the inanity of the second game.

The thing to understand is that it's not really a detective mystery game like Phoenix Wright. There's a mystery to be solved and the gameplay is built around cases, yes, but the characters are the forefront not the whodunnit and the characters are far more memorable than most of PW.

precision posted:

Do you live in China?

• Locked thread