Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I erased my phone and restored from backup and I STILL have like 5GB of "Other"... what do I do?
May not help but go to Settings - General - iphone Storage and see if it shows “Review large attachments”. That’ll show you things like Photos In iMessages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thwomp posted:

What I find weird is the duplication of these controls in the new Notification Center during playback.

Like, these are the size controls I want but why is it in the Notification Center?

I *think* Apple's logic here is that you should be checking/controlling your Music from the notification, while the control center widget is for things that you're streaming to, say, an Apple TV or a HomePod. It hooks into the media service, which is why music apps can be controlled there too, but it's really for controlling streaming, not music players.

It makes no goddamn sense though and I would much rather have a large widget in control center that dd both. I bet this will get amended in a point update.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Protocol7 posted:

3D Touch the playback controls to make them bigger.

They're on a 5s

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Over There posted:

They're on a 5s

You can long touch the Control Center on non-3D Touch enabled devices, IIRC.

Guess that shows iOS 11's favoritism towards larger-display models, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Protocol7 posted:

You can long touch the Control Center on non-3D Touch enabled devices, IIRC.

Guess that shows iOS 11's favoritism towards larger-display models, though.
huh, even though this works in my favor (SE) I feel like it's kinda bad for them to be using long-touch and 3D Touch interchangeably. Counterproductive if they wanna teach your uncles/grandmas/etc the Correct Apple Way to do things moving forward.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally got my iPhone 8 in the mail and it's awesome. The Spigen hybrid case less so. Gone are the chrome looking buttons and quality feel, now it's just a cheap junky piece of plastic same as anyone else.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

I never understood why CallerID wasn’t available on mobile with names as it was on landlines in the nineties.

Because they can charge extra for it, just like the phone companies in the nineties did.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Minidust posted:

huh, even though this works in my favor (SE) I feel like it's kinda bad for them to be using long-touch and 3D Touch interchangeably. Counterproductive if they wanna teach your uncles/grandmas/etc the Correct Apple Way to do things moving forward.

I think it's intended to be a way to train people to interact with interface elements so they're used to the concept of "pressing through" (by way of long press as opposed to tapping and raising finger off screen), that way they're used to it when they eventually end up on a 3D Touch device.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Iphone 8 impressions: if you told me it was an iPhone 7 I'd believe you

Figure I'll throw it up herebefore locally, help someone out. If anyone is looking at an iphone 7 unlocked 128gb get at me

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

om android, the big culprit for unwanted battery usage was Facebook, but on iOS it seems to be snapchat. Battery stats says 1,6hrs background even though I've denied it background refreshing. Facebook only uses battery when I actively use it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

illcendiary posted:

I think it's intended to be a way to train people to interact with interface elements so they're used to the concept of "pressing through" (by way of long press as opposed to tapping and raising finger off screen), that way they're used to it when they eventually end up on a 3D Touch device.

I'm so torn with 3D touch. I love it in some areas and the technology is excellent, but it's frustrating the way it gets shoehorned into a heap of places that at best are slower and less efficient than just tapping in and at worst are plain harder to use. Also things like the control centre where it's completely opaque which controls actually will let you use it to get more options (or which will just make the control BIG).

On a minor note, I can't remember if they've always done it (probably have but I didn't notice it) but the little touch of the control centre actually having its name localised in UK English makes me very happy. Such a nice little touch.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Iphone 8 impressions: if you told me it was an iPhone 7 I'd believe you

Figure I'll throw it up herebefore locally, help someone out. If anyone is looking at an iphone 7 unlocked 128gb get at me

You want SA-Mart.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

or I could target a slew of iPhone users but hey, alright

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476756819”"]
Iphone 8 impressions: if you told me it was an iPhone 7 I’d believe you

[/quote]

Yeah it feels almost exactly like my jet black 7+. The battery life seems better though not crazy better but enough that I notice it.

Also yeah Snapchat murders my battery. I mean I like looking at boobs and all but drat it will chew through a battery like nothing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You still gotta make a thread to make it official! Do that and then feel free to post the link here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MY WORD IS MY BOND

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yes, by posting a link to your SA-Mart thread

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

astral posted:

yes, by posting a link to your SA-Mart thread

:effort:

Saw this on reddit, figured I'd share

iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8 Camera full zoom quality (7 on left)

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Honest question. Are you actually able to judge the differences based on one photo or would you need to have a variety of different situations of photos in order to judge fairly.

I loved my 7's camera but I thought they said they were making some changes to the 8 camera

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's the same megapixels but they changed the ISO poo poo and added some other fancy tech to the picture taking process. Sorry, not the most savvy.

I notice a slight improvement, but I wouldn't notice if I wasn't aware of the supposed changes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Without some fine detail (like text or something) a zoom test is kinda pointless.

You can see some additional detail where the tree tops hit the sky but that's still not a very good test as it could be as simple as a jittery hand in one picture but stable in the other.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Without some fine detail (like text or something) a zoom test is kinda pointless.

You can see some additional detail where the tree tops hit the sky but that's still not a very good test as it could be as simple as a jittery hand in one picture but stable in the other.

You're free to conduct your own

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sick burn, you really showed me!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean what do you want me to say? I stole it from reddit and am simply sharing, but I also agree with you. 🤷‍♀️

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean what do you want me to say? I stole it from reddit and am simply sharing, but I also agree with you. 🤷‍♀️
You don't have to reply :ssh:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

astral posted:

Because they can charge extra for it, just like the phone companies in the nineties did.

Until recently, it wasn't available for purchase. That's decades of missed opportunities to charge, if that's really the only reason.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You can't sell poo poo here, only SA-Mart.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You can't sell poo poo here, only SA-Mart.

I can. gently caress you.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

:effort:

Saw this on reddit, figured I'd share

iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8 Camera full zoom quality (7 on left)

Those look more like software changes affecting the image output than hardware changes. While I still have my 7+ I am going to do a bunch of comparison shots and will post them here if anyone is interested.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

rio posted:

Those look more like software changes affecting the image output than hardware changes. While I still have my 7+ I am going to do a bunch of comparison shots and will post them here if anyone is interested.

but they're still iphone model specific changes, yeah?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Rather annoying to hear all these stories about a quiet launch with hardly any lines when I called 4 stores and they all only have that ugly pink gold available. Bought online and space gray is backordered until 10/2-9. Seems like Apple will be just fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I couldn't do the white front, I almost caved. Local apple store pretty much had everything in stock, all storage sizes/colors. T-mobile only had 64gb gold ones. No one had any of the + models. I assume those are more popular now because of the upgraded camera and how much we're growing away from compact cell phones in general.

I don't mind the gold tbh, this iteration does't look too bad. Would still want a black front, though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
X gonna be hard to find af, but the nice thing about full front screen is, all I need to care about is size. I give no fucks about silver, black, gold, rose gold, copper, cooper, pooper-scooper.

So... that's nice.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I erased my phone and restored from backup and I STILL have like 5GB of "Other"... what do I do?

I struggled with this for a day last week and here is my conclusion: in iOS it showed up as Other but in iTunes it showed up as documents and data. My different iOS devices showed different amounts of other. But when I added up Photos and Other for each device it came out roughly the same.

So my guess it that the Other is some part of the Photos library that the system is thinking of as purgeable. It could be a different set of cached files for you but unless the mystery data is causing you to run out of space, I wouldn’t worry about it. The OS will likely purge it if you need the room. It’s annoying as heck and I wish Apple would be clearer about what I’m looking at (or not show me at all) but I think the path to tranquility it just not thinking about it.

I had a similar frustration with Mac OS where the HDD has a bunch of purgeable files so reports me having lots of free space but the Steam Client sees those files as taking up disk space and doesn’t know they can make room so claims I can’t install large games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I couldn't do the white front, I almost caved. Local apple store pretty much had everything in stock, all storage sizes/colors. T-mobile only had 64gb gold ones. No one had any of the + models. I assume those are more popular now because of the upgraded camera and how much we're growing away from compact cell phones in general.

I don't mind the gold tbh, this iteration does't look too bad. Would still want a black front, though.

Yeah, the 7+ was kinda hard to come by for the first month or so, the two black colors especially. I couldn't get a matte black 7+ until like mid-November. I think Apple probably produces fewer plus-sizes than they do of the standard size.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Get your life together t-mobile, this is the situation I am also in. The 6s is great so I can wait a week or two but what a letdown after hearing this launch was so quiet and is apple in trouble??? all over.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have no idea why Apple hasn’t worked out that a lot of of people would like Black & Gold. OR if their marketing research shows that people don’t, I have no idea what is going on with people.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ulvir posted:

Battery stats says 1,6hrs background even though I've denied it background refreshing.

This is actually a common misunderstanding. Background App Refresh is one specific API that Apple gives developers for doing stuff in the background, but there are a bunch of other ways to do things in the background that aren’t covered by turning off that setting.

Why Apple gives users the ability to turn that specific background feature off and not any of the others is a mystery to me. It just makes people think that the apps are misbehaving if they do anything in the background.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone else's notifications not really working on the iPhone 8+? I get Messages, snapchat and MLB At Bat. Literally nothing else comes through (i.e. CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, etc.) All are enabled for notifications, and my iPhone 6S still gets them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't know what could cause that if you have your notifications on and have another device connected to the same network and are getting them. I have had my old 7+ sitting around and noticed that it doesn't get notifications anymore since I got my 8+ - does iOS do something like guess which device is being used and push notifications to that device?