Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, I'll give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I gave in and watched the Punisher trailer. Wonderful use of Metallica but I don't think this show is gonna be for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As glad as I am to not see him shooting tons and tons of minorities like a Death Wish movie, I'm afraid the military conspiracy stuff and Frank vs Bunch of Soldiers might get dull fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since I lost a friend to gun violence the entire shooty-shooty bang-bang genre has lost my interest. I still haven't watched John Wick 2.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Since I lost a friend to gun violence the entire shooty-shooty bang-bang genre has lost my interest. I still haven't watched John Wick 2.

That is horrible. I am sorry for your loss. :(

I'm also here if you ever need to talk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

That is horrible. I am sorry for your loss. :(

I'm also here if you ever need to talk.

It was months ago and a lot has changed in my life since then but it is very strange that things I used to really enjoy now hold nothing for me.

Thanks, I appreciate it. And as I said earlier, I really, really enjoy your posts.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Oh no, I'm so sorry. That's perfectly understandable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's okay guys, I've actually mourned and come to terms with it. I was just kind of quiet about it in BSS because I don't have the same level of interaction with you guys as I do other sub forums. I used that pain and made myself a much better person because of it.

Sorry for the tangent! Let's talk about tv!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seems like Alexander Siddig is going to stick around Gotham as he had a small appearance in the season premier. Also the crime stuff remains pretty fun as the latest Penguin scheme is extremely organized crime as now the criminals of Gotham have licenses which say what crimes they are allowed to commit and cops have been ordered by the mayor and police commissioner to ignore any licensed criminals.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I haven't watched since the pilot but Jesus Christ it sounds like that show got weird

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Seems like Alexander Siddig is going to stick around Gotham as he had a small appearance in the season premier. Also the crime stuff remains pretty fun as the latest Penguin scheme is extremely organized crime as now the criminals of Gotham have licenses which say what crimes they are allowed to commit and cops have been ordered by the mayor and police commissioner to ignore any licensed criminals.

How very Ankh Morpork of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Proteus Jones posted:

How very Ankh Morpork of them.

gently caress, I was going to make this exact comparison

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seems like Alexander Siddig is going to stick around Gotham as he had a small appearance in the season premier.

Goddamn it, I love Siddig but hate Gotham. He deserves better.

Also the crime stuff remains pretty fun as the latest Penguin scheme is extremely organized crime as now the criminals of Gotham have licenses which say what crimes they are allowed to commit and cops have been ordered by the mayor and police commissioner to ignore any licensed criminals.

This, however, is gloriously silver age.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, why the hell don't we have a Discworld tv series?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Is Discworld set in Vancouver/Toronto?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was months ago and a lot has changed in my life since then but it is very strange that things I used to really enjoy now hold nothing for me.

Thanks, I appreciate it. And as I said earlier, I really, really enjoy your posts.

Thank you!

edit: drat I would cut off my pinky toe for a Discworld series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I haven't watched since the pilot but Jesus Christ it sounds like that show got weird

The show is now 4 seasons in, things have been getting weird for a while, like multiple characters have died and been brought back to life. They introduced a character who is pretty much the Joker, which seemed terrible at first but it turns out the guy they got for it was pretty good so it all worked out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The BBC cranked out a bunch of Discworld minis a couple of years ago. Maybe if Good Omens does well it will renew interest in all things Pratchett.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Some of the British channels (iTV and SkyOne I think) did some movies based on few novels. They're kind of hit or miss. Did not like Colour of Magic, but Hogfather wasn't too bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Hogfather was very enjoyable in that BBC way, the actress playing Susan did a fantastic job IMO.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
There was the watch TV series was in the works until Pratchett died.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The show is now 4 seasons in, things have been getting weird for a while, like multiple characters have died and been brought back to life. They introduced a character who is pretty much the Joker, which seemed terrible at first but it turns out the guy they got for it was pretty good so it all worked out.

It sounds like the show is trying to make up for lost time and out-CW the CW.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Charles Dance was an excellent Vetinari too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

omg chael crash posted:

They went both full ham AND full grimdark. It now feels like a gritty prequel to Batman '66. It is amazing, love it or hate it I'm not sure I've seen anything like it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Proteus Jones posted:

Some of the British channels (iTV and SkyOne I think) did some movies based on few novels. They're kind of hit or miss. Did not like Colour of Magic, but Hogfather wasn't too bad.

Colour of Magic and the other Rincewind books feel like they'd work better as a serial of some kind than a movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think one of the streaming services is the right venue for a proper Discworld series.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy loving poo poo, the first episode of Legion was awesome as gently caress! Guess this means I'm putting off season two of Preacher for a bit longer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The BBC cranked out a bunch of Discworld minis a couple of years ago. Maybe if Good Omens does well it will renew interest in all things Pratchett.

HIJK posted:

Hogfather was very enjoyable in that BBC way, the actress playing Susan did a fantastic job IMO.

Can I please just point out that this is like saying that those Arrowverse shows are great in that HBO way? (And granted, over here a lot of prestige US dramas do get lumped into the HBO box even if not actually distributed by them, but still...)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Rhianna Pratchett's been trying to get a Watch-focused show off the ground for like five years now. She said it was "still in production" last year.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Can I please just point out that this is like saying that those Arrowverse shows are great in that HBO way? (And granted, over here a lot of prestige US dramas do get lumped into the HBO box even if not actually distributed by them, but still...)

? Arrowverse is CW I thought? Anyway my point was that Hogfather is cheap and drops a lot of the book material so it's not as good as the freaking book, but that it's still enjoyable so long as you don't expect a AAA blockbuster 100% word for word adaption of the book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Michelle Dockery in it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

HIJK posted:

? Arrowverse is CW I thought? Anyway my point was that Hogfather is cheap and drops a lot of the book material so it's not as good as the freaking book, but that it's still enjoyable so long as you don't expect a AAA blockbuster 100% word for word adaption of the book.

That is the joke - the BBC had nothing to do with the Pratchett adaptations, in fact I think they were produced by Sky. Which is owned by the vile gangster Rupert the Murdoch so you could just say Fox UK really.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TenCentFang posted:

Holy loving poo poo, the first episode of Legion was awesome as gently caress! Guess this means I'm putting off season two of Preacher for a bit longer.

No one should ever choose Preacher over Legion.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

That is the joke - the BBC had nothing to do with the Pratchett adaptations, in fact I think they were produced by Sky. Which is owned by the vile gangster Rupert the Murdoch so you could just say Fox UK really.

Oh, okay, I thought the BBC produced them :v: Nonetheless they're still pretty good for what they are.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Amy Jackson cast as Saturn Girl on Supergirl.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I guess Durance (Lois) from Smallville is the new Allura as well, since the previous actress is doing something else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

There's British TV movies of The Colour of Magic (I feel dirty using the British spelling of "color"), Hogfather and Going Postal. I've only seen Going Postal, but it was pretty good. If Good Omens is as good as I hope it will be I bet we'll get more Pratchett on TV.

Edit: I really need to finish reading a thread before I respond to older posts.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess Durance (Lois) from Smallville is the new Allura as well, since the previous actress is doing something else.

That one bummed me out a bit because I think they should've had her reprise Lois.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It kind of sucks that she might be stuck playing Kryptonian Siri. Hopefully they find more use for the the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

That one bummed me out a bit because I think they should've had her reprise Lois.

Had Welling gotten the Superman role it would have probably happened.

ToastyPotato posted:

It kind of sucks that she might be stuck playing Kryptonian Siri. Hopefully they find more use for the the character.

There's a shot of her in a teaser and it looked like she was outdoors on Earth. I mean, you don't cast the most beautiful Lois Lane ever and confine all her scenes to a glass box.