Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

what is the ideology of people who think bernie having a debate with graham and cassidy wrt their poo poo bill is a bad idea? cause i don't like that ideology

i guess we can just call it cowardice?

I think the logic is that if Bernie appears and Single Payer keeps getting pushed it will somehow fire up the GOP to try and repeal the ACA harder, which is weird because that's already happening with or without a single payer discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trabisnikof posted:

Disagree completely. Space and place plays a huge role in our culture and society and shouldn't ignore that role in politics. We need means to include those varying voices in our representative democracy.

The issue is that we have a pro-rural bias in our House because of the mandate that congressional districts cannot cross state lines.

Take climate change adaptation for example. That's a highly localized issue and we will need representatives from communities all over the nation to make sure our responses are broad and flexible enough to make sure we're handling the changes that our communities are facing across the nation.

Additionally, at-large districts have a huge history of being a tool for minority suppression. There's a reason cities are moving away from at-large districts towards single member ones.

It's very common in parliamentary elections for the percentage of seats that a group has to be significantly different than the amount of votes that they received as a whole if those votes are spread around too much. It certainly can be an issue of marginalizing smaller groups or rural groups if they can't get enough of a threshold, but if you have a resulting political balance that's significantly different from what the voter turnout was then you have serious problems.

And climate change adaptation is a nationwide issue and appropriations can be handled at a national level and allocated out on a regional level as needed. That isn't something that's uniquely a power of regional representation but rather is a sign of a healthy and functioning government. If anything, the over-focusing of resources on certain local areas is actually detrimental to the end result.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

I feel like people took the image of American Moderates/Center Independents that are really just closet Republicans, convinced themselves those are actually representative of the center left, and built a thread around it.

There are a lot of these people in the Democratic party, though, and what you called "tone policing" was people identifying these people and these tendencies and habits. We can't just passively roll with the liberals in the Democratic party and expect to not get shut down when it becomes convenient for them to do so -- especially since they're already trying to shut us down when it's politically inconvenient for them to do so!

Further, a lot of these center left politicians have shown that they're more comfortable dealing with the Ossoffs and Manchins of the world than they are with leftists.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

bernie's town hall on the graham-cassidy shitfest should be tonight at 9pm if anyone in this thread is interested. i'll have to catch the highlights tomorrow since that'll be p late at night for me, but I hope he and amy klochubar do well and really shame those shitbags

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Condiv posted:

bernie's town hall on the graham-cassidy shitfest should be tonight at 9pm if anyone in this thread is interested.

:flashfap:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i started the previous incarnation of the dems are a waste thread cause i was pissed at tom perez going back on his 50-state strategy and ignoring special elections to the benefit of no-one. i guess that makes me a the_donald poster or something

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Condiv posted:

i started the previous incarnation of the dems are a waste thread cause i was pissed at tom perez going back on his 50-state strategy and ignoring special elections to the benefit of no-one. i guess that makes me a the_donald poster or something

It expressly doesn't, stop the willful misinterpretation.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Condiv posted:

It means you encourage /r/the_donald-like rhetoric. I can assure you this slander is in no way meant to suggest you are a reactionary chud.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Kingfish posted:

It means you encourage /r/the_donald-like rhetoric. I can assure you this slander is in no way meant to suggest you are a reactionary chud.

Correct!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

It's Samantha Bee.

Weirdly vindictive against Bernie Sanders and the left? Checks out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

what's it supposed to suggest then? other than to be extremely insulting by comparing me to fascists?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Which ethnic groups is he advocating for genocide against? Which racial slurs are his favorite to spam in all caps? Which posts are he censoring and scrubbing from this site? Who has he tracked down and made death threats against?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lemming posted:

Which ethnic groups is he advocating for genocide against? Which racial slurs are his favorite to spam in all caps? Which posts are he censoring and scrubbing from this site? Who has he tracked down and made death threats against?

Misfire dude, I agree with Condiv.

e:v take a breath and read the thread.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 25, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Misfire dude, I agree with Condiv.

You made a very specific accusation about using specific types of rhetoric. This is the type of rhetoric you're accusing him of using. When did he use it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

what's it supposed to suggest then? other than to be extremely insulting by comparing me to fascists?

It makes you a vile Internet Leftist Attack-dog.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

You made a very specific accusation about using specific types of rhetoric. This is the type of rhetoric you're accusing him of using. When did he use it?

Lemming I think you may need to go back and consider the original Kingfish post that started this was facetious.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Condiv posted:

That fascists on t_d got started out with the same circlejerking that Waste had. That building a thread largely around (not completely around, as discussed earlier) "Look how bad the other guy is" is the same thinking of the Clinton campaign.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lemming posted:

I never knew sea lions were cannibals.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Lemming I think you may need to go back and consider the original Kingfish post that started this was facetious.

I don't really care if I mix up fake posts with serious posts like this one

Potato Salad posted:

That fascists on t_d got started out with the same circlejerking that Waste had. That building a thread largely around (not completely around, as discussed earlier) "Look how bad the other guy is" is the same thinking of the Clinton campaign.

Considering the content is the same and fakeposting is some tedious bullshit blame them for making the same posts others are making unironically

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

"Look at how terrible the Mexicans, Muslims... are" is totally the same as "Look at how terrible this specific group of politicians is"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Trabisnikof posted:

But you're describing progressivism not conservatism. Conservatism is fundamentally arguing that we shouldn't change the status quo at all, or if we do change it, it is only to undo the changes previous progressives have made.

The basic assumption that we can always improve our society isn't shared with the ideological conservative.
This is fundamentally incompatible, if someone thinks we should undo changes previously made, then that person believes that society can be improved. If they're also a person who thinks change is inherently risky, it makes sense they prefer reverting changes rather than making new ones, because we have lots of data on what things were like before the change they want to revert.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Ok, I need some help here with Futuresight's last post and why it's so terrible, because I read it as saying Dems deserve criticism and lack of support from minorities if they don't follow up on their words with actions, and if their only solution is to fill positions and nothing else, then that's not good enough.

You don't see why slipping "maybe they'll push for more black women CEOs, hahaha, liberals are so bad" into a discussion about racial issues might possibly look bad, especially if you don't follow lefty Twitter enough to know that it's an injoke derived from social justice discussions. Sure, KM could have given Futuresight the benefit of the doubt rather than jumping to conclusions...but why is it always the PoC who has to be the one to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that a dodgy-sounding statement isn't racist? Why couldn't people just apologize and explain the reference, rather than getting mad, accusing KM of posting in bad faith, and throwing a childish tantrum?

It was a simple misunderstanding, based primarily on Futuresight making a reference that KM wasn't familiar with and which could easily be misconstrued as dismissive of racial equality. The discussion could easily have continued peacefully, except that as soon as KM made the slightest suggestion that his remark could have been racially insensitive, white fragility kicks in and suddenly everyone's throwing a fit at the mean PoC who dared to be uncomfortable with something a white person said.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

steinrokkan posted:

"Look at how terrible the Mexicans, Muslims... are" is totally the same as "Look at how terrible this specific group of politicians is"

The rhetorical structure and purpose in your two examples are literally the same

You're literally proving my point

stop pretending you don't know what a circle jerk is, holy loving nutsack

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"The Rhetoric!" I scream as the flames take me -- the very fires of leftism I myself had stoked!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I never knew sea lions were cannibals.

Are you going to back up your accusation of him being a sea lion, or are you just gonna leave that there?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

The rhetorical structure and purpose in your two examples are literally the same

stop pretending you don't know what s circle jerk is, holy loving nutsack

the purpose of the_donald is to kill or deport mexicans and muslims trail of tears style. was the purpose of the bad dems thread mass genocide of democrats?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm starting to think that pearl clutching about dialogue and rhetoric is a big FAT WASTE.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

stop pretending you don't know what a circle jerk is, holy loving nutsack

You are literally doing the "You are racist against cops" conservative charade.

"Circlejerks" are fine, the content matters.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Condiv posted:

the purpose of the_donald is to kill or deport mexicans and muslims trail of tears style. was the bad dems thread suggesting mass genocide of democrats?

Maybe consider rereading my post, and you'll have my answer

Spark Notes version: No.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

steinrokkan posted:

"Circlejerks" are fine, the content matters.

Yes: the content matters

No: "Circlejerks" are fine

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Like, is your problem with the_donald that their posting does not follow the Robert's Rules of Order rather than their politics?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
All y'all post whiners should be counting your manhoods cheap vs these high rollers

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/352287-protests-delay-gop-obamacare-repeal-hearing

that's how you protest folks

but please argue more on the internet, you're good, the wheelchair folks got this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

Maybe consider rereading my post, and you'll have my answer

Spark Notes version: No.

you know there are other circle jerks on the internet you can draw comparisons to other than a community of fascists right? so why draw such an extremely false comparison other than to be extremely insulting?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Are you going to back up your accusation of him being a sea lion, or are you just gonna leave that there?

I really hope you just sea lioned my joke about sea lions to be funny and not serious. I really can't tell.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

steinrokkan posted:

Like, is your problem with the_donald that their posting does not follow the Robert's Rules of Order rather than their politics?

Have you only ever seen hyperstructured debate or total circlejerk in your life? Why are you trying so hard to ram this false dichotomy through?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Main Paineframe posted:

You don't see why slipping "maybe they'll push for more black women CEOs, hahaha, liberals are so bad" into a discussion about racial issues might possibly look bad, especially if you don't follow lefty Twitter enough to know that it's an injoke derived from social justice discussions.
This text you put in quotes (and the word "CEO") doesn't occur in any of Futuresight's posts in this thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

Yes: the content matters

No: "Circlejerks" are fine

"Circlejerks" are just people who had reached a pre-established consensus about an issue having a discussion without the need to constantly re-establish the basic assumptions for the benefit of strangers. It is the natural state of any group of people with intense preferences and ideas, and is inherently neither harmful, nor constructive - it can be either or neither depending on the precise intentions and determination of the participants.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

All y'all post whiners should be counting your manhoods cheap vs these high rollers

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/352287-protests-delay-gop-obamacare-repeal-hearing

that's how you protest folks

but please argue more on the internet, you're good, the wheelchair folks got this

"If you want a hearing you better shut up"

God drat those people are doing hero's work.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Condiv posted:

you know there are other circle jerks on the internet you can draw comparisons to other than a community of fascists right? so why draw such an extremely false comparison other than to be extremely insulting?

There are, I was intentionally reaching for Galilean hyperbole. As in, "this is an endgame of closed, positive feedback"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

steinrokkan posted:

"Circlejerks" are just people who had reached a pre-established consensus about an issue having a discussion without the need to constantly re-establish the basic assumptions for the benefit of strangers. It is the natural state of any group of people with intense preferences and ideas, and is inherently neither harmful, nor constructive - it can be either or neither depending on the precise intentions and determination of the participants.

This is a good post.

• Locked thread