Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

LogisticEarth posted:

I got that, and it was funny at first, but it's a one-note joke, that I don't think could keep me interested for eight episodes. Maybe I'll go back and watch the first episode and see if it does anything for me.

I don't even know if one-note is a valid criticism, is Spinal Tap one-note because it's essentially "what if a band, but stupid?" I don't think it's spoiling much to say that American Vandal is about the justice system and the presumption of guilt more than just who did the dicks. Obviously the dicks is a big part of that, but the dicks aren't what it is about in the end.

American Vandal is four hours of good satire with an actual point (like good satire should have) and it's worth watching if you're someone who likes true crime documentaries, in m opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't even know if one-note is a valid criticism, is Spinal Tap one-note because it's essentially "what if a band, but stupid?" I don't think it's spoiling much to say that American Vandal is about the justice system and the presumption of guilt more than just who did the dicks. Obviously the dicks is a big part of that, but the dicks aren't what it is about in the end.

American Vandal is four hours of good satire with an actual point (like good satire should have) and it's worth watching if you're someone who likes true crime documentaries, in m opinion.

I mean, Spinal Tap is a bit of an unfair comparison because it's roughly half the length of American Vandal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The back half doesn't really work as satire because, if anything, it's less critical than the original works themselves. It doesn't really say much about the genre that Serial didn't already spend four navel-gazing hours on — and it basically follows that as a template without comment. It's a pretty close cousin to Documentary Now!, which also spends a lot of time nailing style and sometimes forgets to have a point or send things up, but that show at least keeps things fresh each episode.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ohvee posted:

He's saying that it's similar to recommending two other movies without giving away the ending/key detail like, for "Sixth Sense" and "The Village," respectively.

Ohhhhh. I didn't put that together because I guess I never really thought of The Blackcoat's Daughter as a gotcha! movie. In those above two movies, nothing in the movies themselves tells you to look out for the big reveal until it happens. In The Blackcoat's Daughter the director is stingy enough with the details that for a large portion of the movie you know you don't have the full picture and are waiting to see how it comes together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

American Vandal was pretty funny, but it could have accomplished what it set out to do in well under 2 hours.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was pretty impressed by the new Lady Gaga documentary. I mean, I figure it's the kind of thing that you either might be into or are definitely not interested in at all, but I'd recommend it to people who like her.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

The back half doesn't really work as satire because, if anything, it's less critical than the original works themselves. It doesn't really say much about the genre that Serial didn't already spend four navel-gazing hours on — and it basically follows that as a template without comment. It's a pretty close cousin to Documentary Now!, which also spends a lot of time nailing style and sometimes forgets to have a point or send things up, but that show at least keeps things fresh each episode.

The Nanook of the North episode of Documentary Now! is loving hilarious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That episode is great, but I think Al Capone Day is the funniest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love the Nanook one because it drags them out of their comfort zone a bit and doesn't rely on style parody at all aside from the "archive footage" of Not Nanook. It's wall-to-wall unsubtle jokes, and they're all loving hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That one and the Vice one are the best. The Vice one is still my favorite because it perfectly lampoons what was lingering in the back of my head for years about them, yet was never able to articulate.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Documentary Now! is the best TV comedy of the decade

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

it seems like i have to watch the original before the parody though. same problem with how did this get made

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A MIRACLE posted:

it seems like i have to watch the original before the parody though. same problem with how did this get made
Yeah, I haven't watched nearly enough documentaries to feel like I get all the jokes. I think I only watched the Vice and Gray Gardens spoofs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did they ever do a Grizzly man episode?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
For anyone with Prime, I don't know when they added it but Lost City of Z is up on there and that's a really good one. It's slow but in a very engaging way, and it does the impossible by making Charlie Hunnam a good actor. Great performances from just about everyone in it. It's long and definitely feels its length, but I think it's worth the trip.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Seconding lost city of Z.

I think it's 3 hours long but it was a good movie. Don't expect any jump-scares or tons of exciting fight scenes outside of one fight iirc. Very nice to see Charlie Hunnam outside of his normal roles, it would be a shame to have him become Typecast.

There is one real bastard you will love to hate though!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
In my opinion American Vandal is pretty light on the laughs and surprisingly heavy on the teen drama which is unfortunate.

Good acting though, I love the "cool" teacher and Dylan. Just don't expect it to make you laugh more than once per episode.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GonSmithe posted:

For anyone with Prime, I don't know when they added it but Lost City of Z is up on there and that's a really good one. It's slow but in a very engaging way, and it does the impossible by making Charlie Hunnam a good actor. Great performances from just about everyone in it. It's long and definitely feels its length, but I think it's worth the trip.

The performances were great, but the movie never made me a believer in his obsession. I think I found the movie dull overall (pacing and running time didn't help) and too by the numbers. Not a bad movie, but I'm thankful I didn't pay for it outright. Shame, because I agree with some of the things you are saying. It's close but no cigar for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

The performances were great, but the movie never made me a believer in his obsession. I think I found the movie dull overall (pacing and running time didn't help) and too by the numbers. Not a bad movie, but I'm thankful I didn't pay for it outright. Shame, because I agree with some of the things you are saying. It's close but no cigar for me.

I think where it tripped itself up was in his motivation to go back to the Amazon after barely surviving the first trip. They're basically starving to death, but then he finds some pottery shards and a little statue thing in the mud and that alone sparks his curiosity so much that he just HAS to go back no matter what the cost.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rough Lobster posted:

In my opinion American Vandal is pretty light on the laughs and surprisingly heavy on the teen drama which is unfortunate.

Good acting though, I love the "cool" teacher and Dylan. Just don't expect it to make you laugh more than once per episode.

If they had just stuck with the comedy parody side of it, it would have been great. But the last few episodes just DRAG because suddenly it's got a serious tone and acting like it's an actual documentary. It's at it's best with some of the subtlety.

Like, I wish they had just shown the teacher that was fired briefly with "ex-teacher" as his description. I laughed so hard at that. But they had to go into more detail.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

david_a posted:

Yeah, I haven't watched nearly enough documentaries to feel like I get all the jokes. I think I only watched the Vice and Gray Gardens spoofs.

Definitely. It seems like it's almost required that you've seen the original source material, really. I hadn't seen The Thin Blue Line before I watched their spoof of it, and after having watched it (and then re-watched the spoof), it was hilarious.

Is the show coming back next season?

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

it does the impossible by making Charlie Hunnam a good actor.

Whoa. Now this I gotta see

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

knows a black guy posted:

Whoa. Now this I gotta see

https://i.imgur.com/9JIJJ.gif

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think I would've liked the Bad Batch on some level if the last scene was them eating the heroine instead of the bunny.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I liked Lost City of Z a lot more before I did some fact-checking and found out it was probably mostly bullshit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

graventy posted:

I liked Lost City of Z a lot more before I did some fact-checking and found out it was probably mostly bullshit.

Think of it as a nod to Herzog, who never missed an opportunity to change history if it served the film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
River's Edge is on Amazon, which I'd never heard of. Keanu Reeves gets second billing to Crispin Glover, who waffles between amazing and terrible every scene. It's shot by one the go-to directors on the original Twin Peaks and has a similar vibe even if it doesn't go full Lynch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OH gently caress YES I've been wanting to rewatch River's Edge for a long time. It's fantastic

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Donald Cried is pre' dope and y'all should check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCIn6eYUwK0

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

graventy posted:

Movies not.... real???

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
[quote="“morestuff”" post="“476802364”"]
River’s Edge is on Amazon, which I’d never heard of. Keanu Reeves gets second billing to Crispin Glover, who waffles between amazing and terrible every scene. It’s shot by one the go-to directors on the original Twin Peaks and has a similar vibe even if it doesn’t go full Lynch.
[/quote]

I remember watching River's Edge on VHS back in the late 80's. It was such a blast.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Toast of London is on Netflix now. It's absolute ridiculous and fantastic.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Unmature posted:

Toast of London is on Netflix now. It's absolute ridiculous and fantastic.

does it have a laugh track? i hate those!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

eriddy posted:

does it have a laugh track? i hate those!

Nope.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

morestuff posted:

River's Edge is on Amazon, which I'd never heard of. Keanu Reeves gets second billing to Crispin Glover, who waffles between amazing and terrible every scene. It's shot by one the go-to directors on the original Twin Peaks and has a similar vibe even if it doesn't go full Lynch.

I think it's buried in the Hulu interface as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

River's Edge is pretty great, but something about Joshua Miller weirds me out in everything I see him in.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Enos Cabell posted:

River's Edge is pretty great, but something about Joshua Miller weirds me out in everything I see him in.

Same here, and it is all because of River's Edge. I hated his character so much, that when I watched Near Dark a year later all I could see was his character from River's Edge.

poo poo just saw his half-brother is Jason Patric (their dad was priest in the Exorcist).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

River's Edge is kind of weird in that it's this (really good) subdued drama film, and somehow that got Hunter the RoboCop 2 job. As I recall, he walked off the project when everyone took a look at the Corporate Wars script that Miner and Neumeier wrote and realized it was utter dogshit and he refused to make the movie on a rushed timeline that would be necessitated by a new script.

Not that what Frank Miller and eventually Walon Green came up with was much better, but "Tim Hunter does RoboCop" is one of those great might-have-beens up there with "Phil Kaufman does Star Trek, with Mifune as the Klingon heavy."

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 27, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that the movie where keanu reeves says "you just sit around and gently caress my mom and eat pancakes" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Enos Cabell posted:

See also: Teen Witch