Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

True, but Ayesha has scenes with people going "ew books" and Ayesha just kinda shrugs and keeps plugging away at her studies, so her devotion to her studies is something the game actually draws attention to, and I liked that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair basically every Atelier protagonist is an insane supergenius who is also moe as poo poo. Not a single one of them doesn't grow from untrained novice to Literal God of Alchemy in like three years tops.

Hey, Escha and Logy were both partially trained novices to start with :colbert:

I really like their dynamic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I had no idea I was this close to finishing Xenoblade Chronicles. That was a shame. It ended so quickly, it's Superstar Saga all over again. I was totally prepared for another two or three plot beats after Dickson.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyone who's interested in playing the early saga games should give the wonderswan remake of makai toushi saga a look, it's basically the same game but mutants have more sporadic and significant stat gains and it has qol stuff backported from final fantasy legend 2, and there's a complete fan translation for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it also adds this, which, holy crap

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

How oddly transparent.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

credburn posted:

I only briefly played the PS1 game. Something about the way they moved made me nauseous. The 3DS version is like, the most lovingly well done amazing port of a terrible, terrible game. And I hear the PS1 version was so much longer and drawn out.

Yeah, DQ7 has a ton of little stories, like the statues and the robots and the love triangle, but the only real overarching plot is revealed almost immediately, which is: there is only one island in the entire world and there always has been, but because of a magic portal there suddenly appears other islands and when you return to the present people just kind of remember that there was that other island. You discover there are more islands...like twenty loving islands each with their own little problem you need to solve. Anyway, that's about it as far as a plot goes until (at least for me; I admit I did a little grinding, but probably about as much as anyone who enjoys these kinds of games) hour 70 when the second plot beat appears, which is (seriously, this is batshit, if you're playing the game don't read this next spoiler!) you beat up Satan, resurrect God, and then God turns into a huge rear end in a top hat and imprisons your home because he thinks it's too evil and, uh, I guess I'm on my way to beating up God, but honestly I don't know because we're busy fixing some elemental stuff before we can move on.

I don't know why I enjoy this game. It's so awful.

Edit to also bitch about : why is there so much beautiful attention to detail to model so many different monsters with so many different animations but only have the same dozen townsfolk with the same three animations for all seven hundred of the townsfolk you will meet? Edit: AND have to speak to? Edit: REPEATEDLY.

Dragon Quest 7 tries to do some interesting things with JRPG conventions, but it probably would have been more successful if it had been a bit shorter. In so many RPGs, "monsters exist" is the status quo and maybe they'll stick an NPC in the first town who will say something like "lately there have been monsters around, be careful if you leave town" or something. But DQ7 goes to great pains to show you that monsters don't exist in Estard, and when you finally do go through the first portal you come to this town that's under siege from monsters, and you see how awful it is. Since none of the places exist in the present, you can infer that if you don't intervene, they'll be destroyed, and to me that sort of elevates the threat of the existence of monsters

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phantasium posted:

How oddly transparent.

Mechanical transparency?! This isn't SaGa!!!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

With all the isometric RPG love that's been coming our way recently, I figure it's about time that I fill the Baldur's Gate shaped hole in my RPG cred. Reason I've never done so before is that I've always disliked the real-time pause battle system. I was reading earlier today that the old Baldur's Gate games have the ability to run custom AI scripts?

Does anyone have links to how to get into this (i.e. necessary software, relevant variable names etc)? I'm an academic in operations research (optimal decision making), I'd love to play through the games via a self-imposed gambit (i.e. FF12) system.

EDIT: Found this: http://www.pocketplane.net/tutorials/simscript.html

All seems pretty straight-forward. Going to be so fun.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 25, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
natural evolution

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Colonel posted:

natural evolution

checkmate, atheists

(although if there is a god you're probably going to chainsaw his face off)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you're right that is incorrect that is clearly not a rhinoceros

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to know if there's actually a joke here that just didn't get translated in the gb version because of text limits or it's just something the fan tl threw in. i'm gonna guess it's the former and a lot of dialog in this fan tl just reads way more naturally because they had more resources to work with

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

i want to know if there's actually a joke here that just didn't get translated in the gb version because of text limits or it's just something the fan tl threw in. i'm gonna guess it's the former and a lot of dialog in this fan tl just reads way more naturally because they had more resources to work with

that's definitely something the fan translators added

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I BET ARCHE FUCKS LIKE A TIGER

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

that's definitely something the fan translators added

i've thought that about fan tls but it turned out a lot of the sex jokes in emerald dragon were totally accurate

though even if it was added in the fan tl it's not particularly egregious and all of the other lines changes have literally just been making lines that flowed awkwardly in the gb tl read better so i guess it's just whatever

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I BET ARCHE FUCKS LIKE A TIGER

I have it on good authority that this is a 100% accurate translation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
let's discuss which is the better translation for ballos' backstory in cave story

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Taking screenshots of characters yelling in Xeno games has always been a rewarding experience

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That has got to be the blandest protagonist I've ever seen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chumbler posted:

That has got to be the blandest protagonist I've ever seen.

Haven't played many RPGs huh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oh hey its sorey

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh hey its sorey
sorey was cuter

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why does Xeno 2 look like generic-anime-garbage when Xeno 1 was unique-anime-kitsch?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xeno 1 was generic anime too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

sorey was cuter

wanna be the beige light

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is nothing wrong with generic anime as most anime is. You know by definition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Xeno 2 has the Japanese voices because the English voice acting in the trailers is loving terrible. They obviously had to choose between 'people who could do an English accent' and 'people who could act' and went with the former.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never will not be amused when people say that Xenoblade, the game about the big-eyed teenage protagonist wielding a magic laser sword to battle giant mecha on a quest to eventually murder god, aided by his childhood friend (also scantly-clad robot secretly possessed by a goddess), big-busted sniper, plucky best friend, ronin samurai mentor, magical angel elf and marketable cute mascot character, is not anime or somehow qualifies as 'not that anime' for whatever reason that involves not admitting you liked basically the most goddamn JRPG JRPG on the planet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Haven't played many RPGs huh

Maybe, but compare him to the average Tales game's characters, or BoF2 or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

chumbler posted:

Maybe, but compare him to the average Tales game's characters, or BoF2 or something.

Look at Blue Dragon if you want the most generic.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

well you see the first XC wasn't anime because anime doesn't have british accents

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Does that make it and HBO series

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Xenoblade is super anime. Xenoblade 2 also looks super anime, but it's a different genre, and one that is significantly more obnoxious. This isn't hard :confused:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

well you see the first XC wasn't anime because anime doesn't have british accents

Ni. No. Kuni.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Xenoblade is super anime. Xenoblade 2 also looks super anime, but it's a different genre, and one that is significantly more obnoxious. This isn't hard :confused:

What genre also literally no one has argued this point yet so unless you are clairvoyant it is rather hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh xenoblade 1 had a really boring aesthetic. some of the vistas were nice but the character designs were super bland. the character designs in xb2 at least have primary colors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I don't actually understand what genre difference you think is there.

I feel like people point at the opening of Xenoblade where the protagonist's village gets destroyed and he gets angry and swears revenge and forget the literal rest of the plot where friendship, courage and justice overcome all. Xenoblade X with its mostly-adult cast of castaway soldiers on an alien planet making alliances and struggling to survive after the destruction of Earth is more Different Genre than Xenoblade 2 which looks basically the same as the first.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I never will not be amused when people say that Xenoblade, the game about the big-eyed teenage protagonist wielding a magic laser sword to battle giant mecha on a quest to eventually murder god, aided by his childhood friend (also scantly-clad robot secretly possessed by a goddess), big-busted sniper, plucky best friend, ronin samurai mentor, magical angel elf and marketable cute mascot character, is not anime or somehow qualifies as 'not that anime' for whatever reason that involves not admitting you liked basically the most goddamn JRPG JRPG on the planet.

The guy is very, very consistent in being anti-anime to literally filter it out in his steam searches.

He also asked about Atelier Sophie