Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I just assume From has some weird contract with the publishers and/or the devil to include at least one boneheaded design mistake in every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I played DS2 a dozen times but don't even really feel like doing the last two bosses of DS3 (Darkeater Midir and Slave Knight Gael). Like yeah I could boot up the game and work on finishing every enemy in the series but I could also be playing Prey or Nier: Automata.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The thought of playing a new DS3 character and taking on, like, any of the optional bosses fills me with a sense of mild dread.

Like, I'd fight the Gank Squad before Nameless King again any day.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bookkeeper posted:

I played DS2 a dozen times but don't even really feel like doing the last two bosses of DS3 (Darkeater Midir and Slave Knight Gael). Like yeah I could boot up the game and work on finishing every enemy in the series but I could also be playing Prey or Nier: Automata.

uuuuuuugh gently caress those guys, especially the former one. gently caress the Gank Squad, too. What was even the reward you got for beating those jerks, again?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think you get a Titanite Slab and the Flower Dress or something like that.

tbh I usually skip Gank Squad too but it's more because the level leading up to them is also really bad. With summons the fight is just a big clusterfuck and it can be kinda fun. The rest of Sunken City owns but not that stupid rear end cave.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well just about all the coop areas in the DLCs are unfinished with the exception of the sir alonne fight. They are the one thing in the series I will tell everyone to skip unless their build desperately requires one of their rewards (which are mostly very meager for the trouble).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sir Alonne is the only optional DLC boss that's worth the effort.

It's weird because the mandatory DLC bosses are great. Fume Knight, Sinh, and Burnt Ivory King are some of the best DS2 has to offer. Even Elana is divisive but I think she's fun, and Aava is serviceable as a beast boss too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Digirat posted:

Agreed, I played dark souls 3 less than any of the other souls games or bloodborne because it felt like it was lacking coherency in its design in the same sorts of ways that hold back lords of the fallen.

It's more the linearity that bothers me in DS3 more than the discontinuous nature of the world design, which at least makes sense thematically since there's an overarching idea that all the different worlds from the Souls games are mashing together in an incoherent jumble. In DS1 you had all sorts of interesting routes you could take to get through the game especially if you took the master key as your opening gift, and DS2 let you go all over the place with distinct routes starting from Majula. DS3, save for one or two branches, gets played from start to finish in much the same way on any given run unless there are some elaborate skips or something I'm not aware of.

Harsh to compare it to Lords of the Fallen, though. I played that game from beginning to end just to see what other developers were attempting to do with their own Souls clones and it's just bad all the way through.

Bloodborne will always be the most disappointing entry in the Souls games because it will never get a PC release and so I'll likely never play it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think the tiny length of time namco gave them between DLC releases was loving ridiculous for the kind of content from makes, and they rightfully chose the most out-of-the-way parts of the DLCs to cut those corners. It doesn't excuse those optional areas for being total trash instead of being scrapped entirely (presumably they had announced them in a bullet point or something and didn't think they could go back on them). But at least the rest of the DLCs are really very cool.

It's just jarring how much the quality drops off a 90 degree cliff the instant you enter one of those areas and see nothing but ubiquitous, contextless enclosed tunnels devoid of any personality and packed with copy pasted enemies.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

It's just jarring how much the quality drops off a 90 degree cliff the instant you enter one of those areas and see nothing but ubiquitous, contextless enclosed tunnels devoid of any personality and packed with copy pasted enemies.

The Iron Passage is the absolute worst offender of them all, and the boss of it just being a blue smelter demon is so loving stupid.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 2 could have been greatly improved if there were less content. Cut out those bunch of rats, the three ganks from the DLC, the pair of Dragonriders, etc. DS1 has 26 bosses, DS3 has 25, and DS2 has 41. There are too many anonymous nobodies who drag down the roster. Imagine if Gosford Park was exactly the same except Jamie Kennedy was also in it.

This applies to the levels. There are 48 levels that get the title-treatment and Law and Order doink when half of them consists of a boss-arena and a chest. The level-design stepped up from blandness in the DLC but sadly none of the cool set-pieces get reused in DS3.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Sep 25, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The rat pit owns though, I loved watching people with sweepy weapons bank off all the poo poo in that room while getting mobbed by giant cheese nibblers.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

As long as we're airing Souls grievances, the second half of DS1 dragged the game down all the way from Best Game in the Series to the Worst one. Shame too, since the first half is so loving good. O and S were bullshit, but manageable. And Sif was a really fun boss. But then there's Seath, who would have been alright if not for curse being such a badly designed status effect. And Nito, who was an awesome design wasted on a boring boss fight. But what really made me just stop playing the game was running into those enemies that are just the lower half of a previous dragon enemy. It's like, if the developers have quite clearly given up on the game, I might as well too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kay Kessler posted:

As long as we're airing Souls grievances, the second half of DS1 dragged the game down all the way from Best Game in the Series to the Worst one. Shame too, since the first half is so loving good. O and S were bullshit, but manageable. And Sif was a really fun boss. But then there's Seath, who would have been alright if not for curse being such a badly designed status effect. And Nito, who was an awesome design wasted on a boring boss fight. But what really made me just stop playing the game was running into those enemies that are just the lower half of a previous dragon enemy. It's like, if the developers have quite clearly given up on the game, I might as well too.

To be fair, Lost Izalith was apparently a matter or running out of development time more than not caring. The worst part of it is the orange fog gates which arbitrarily screw over anyone who might have tried to work through the late-game areas early on. I'm sure there are some poor bastards out there who didn't know which way to go at the start, managed to make it all the way through the Catacombs and Giant's Tomb despite being severely underleveled because they figured Dark Souls is supposed to be hard, then ran into the gate right before Nito and had the choice of either walking their way back up through all that mess or just restarting the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

The thought of playing a new DS3 character and taking on, like, any of the optional bosses fills me with a sense of mild dread.

Like, I'd fight the Gank Squad before Nameless King again any day.

I think I'd fight anything else in the series before fighting the Bloodborne gank squad again. That is some crazy bullshit

Qwertycoatl posted:

I just assume From has some weird contract with the publishers and/or the devil to include at least one boneheaded design mistake in every game.

So, ignoring content problems (e.g. Lost Izalith sucks)...

Demon's: World/Character Tendency
Dark 1: Not sure here, pre-patch curse was pretty awful
Dark 2: Adaptability, Soul Memory
Bloodborne: Healing items are consumables again
Dark 3: Weird/useless poise implementation

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

The reward for the DS2 gank squad was the Flower Skirt, probably a titanite something or other, and the hex Dark Greatsword (though you could get that by jumping through a window or something if you were crafty). Gank squad wasn't a hard fight or anything but you had to be patient and run around a lot to split up the three dudes. More of a platforming challenge than a combat one.

I never did do the Doublecat boss fight because I didn't feel like running through Ice Horse Wasteland to get to it, though.

My issue with DS3 is its linearity and its slow, slow, slow start. The thought of rolling a new character fills me with dread, whereas in DS2 you can cheese Dragonrider, get some early levels/weapon upgrades and start whooping the game's rear end if you know what you're doing (similar to running through and wrecking Pinwheel or whatever in DS1). DS2 pvp was also really good (best in the series imo). Agility and Soul Memory did suck though, DS3's matchmaking rules for pvp were pretty good.

Content: In Nier: Automata, you can perform a counter by using your evade button at the right time and attacking back at the enemy. Great. It then anime-lifts the two of you into the air so you can sword combo them. Also great. However, some enemies can't be knocked into the air, so you dash into the air by yourself like an idiot and can't hit them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

bookkeeper posted:

Content: In Nier: Automata, you can perform a counter by using your evade button at the right time and attacking back at the enemy. Great. It then anime-lifts the two of you into the air so you can sword combo them. Also great. However, some enemies can't be knocked into the air, so you dash into the air by yourself like an idiot and can't hit them.

On guys that can't be launched (or a bunch of little guys), you can use your Pod attack button to instead launch a rocket at them. Hitting heavy attack will also make you drop back onto their head, if you do fail a launch. Alternately, use the actual Counter command to knock them back but not trigger the launch if you immediately attack them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bookkeeper posted:

I'm playing through that right now and it was also bothering me, but I've noticed different weapon types have different counters - the spear for example does an area clearing sweep - and you can also use the heavy weapons which usually is a powerful overhead blow. Since you can change sets effortlessly, it's good to have different types equipped.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

The Iron Passage is the absolute worst offender of them all, and the boss of it just being a blue smelter demon is so loving stupid.

But you get a blue smelter demon sword! It's blue!

Really though, all of the multiplayer area in the DS2 DLCs are garbage. Alonne, Fume Knight and Ivory King were the best boss fights of the DLC and I always find it so weird that people complain about 2 having "too many dudes in armor" When they're generally the fights people like best out of Dark Souls. Even the Gael boss fight in 3 was the best boss fight out of both DLCs.

Samuringa posted:

I'm playing through that right now and it was also bothering me, but I've noticed different weapon types have different counters - the spear for example does an area clearing sweep - and you can also use the heavy weapons which usually is a powerful overhead blow. Since you can change sets effortlessly, it's good to have different types equipped.

Yeah I stopped using the weapon counters pretty early on and instead just used the pod's fat blast every time I dodged because it was faster, did solid damage and almost never left you in a lovely position afterwards.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Thanks to Suikoden being a dead series owned by Konami, there's so much that has been introduced but never elaborated on and will never be concluded.

What's the deal with Jeane? Oh she's this ancient possibly inhuman rune mistress, no we won't explain anything and we'll introduce more poo poo with Eresh in 5 so that there's even more questions.

Viki? She teleports through time and space and her appearances in the games are actually in the games release order so she teleported 180 years into the past after Suikoden 3. Also we'll introduce a kid version of her who is vastly more competent and adult Viki may not only be smarter than she lets on but she also might be a historian.

What's the deal with the Sindar? Dead civilization and we can't even keep the spelling straight between games, let alone actually get into the lore of them.

Who exactly are Yuber & Pesmerga? This storyline didn't even make it to Suikoden 5 since Yuber only appeared in the first 3 games and Pesmerga in 2. Yuber is some kinda demon from this dimension of chaos but what about Pesmerga? There's the fan theory that Pesmerga is a being of pure order and the opposite of Yuber but that plot was dropped like a hot potato.

When are we going to actually see Harmonia? The game is always pulling the 'oh poo poo Harmonia is getting involved or at the very least is keeping track of the situation' card but we only know that they're this hosed up theocracy who are collecting true runes and are into world domination.

I'm not saying that they should be flat out saying what stuff (I'm not Mr. Bibs after all) is but there's just so much unexplored stuff in the series and nothing will ever be revealed because Konami. But V introduced so much stuff and they even had an out for Tierkreis being different thanks to elements introduced in IV but nope they had to chase that Final Fantasy money.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

How long is Dark Souls 2? I'm playing through it for the first time and trying to use a guide as little as possible. I ran into a point where I got through all the content I could find and then caved and looked up where to go next and found out I was supposed to have talked to one random NPC several times and then went back to a random area off of the main hub and talk to them again. I'm having fun but at no point have I felt I was supposed to go in any particular direction or accomplish any sort of task. I understand that the plot is supposed to be sparse in the series. I've already played through Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1. This game so how just feels completely aimless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rodbeard posted:

How long is Dark Souls 2? I'm playing through it for the first time and trying to use a guide as little as possible. I ran into a point where I got through all the content I could find and then caved and looked up where to go next and found out I was supposed to have talked to one random NPC several times and then went back to a random area off of the main hub and talk to them again. I'm having fun but at no point have I felt I was supposed to go in any particular direction or accomplish any sort of task. I understand that the plot is supposed to be sparse in the series. I've already played through Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1. This game so how just feels completely aimless.

The length of those games vary quite a bit but I'd say its probably about as long as the first, but it feels longer? It feels the most aimless of the whole series and the "you must gather 2 million souls/defeat the four main path bosses because your character won't walk over a waist high wall" is probably the single stupidest level design decision in the franchise just from how jarring it is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Danganronpa V3: shuichi is such a whiny emo dweeb. i want to shove him in a locker so hard he suffocates, i hate him so much. why the hell did he end up being the protagonist instead of the robot man

Still not out in the EU. :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rodbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure you can complete dark souls 2 without talking to anyone except the fire keeper and maybe like two other people (laddersmith gilligan and the lady who turns the thing to unlock the thing but you can kill those guys instead even.) There's very little direction for where you're supposed to go because for the most part you can just pick a direction and go until you stop. You need keys to unlock like two routes (the lady from heide's tower of flame to unlock huntsman's copse, and an old branch of yore to unpetrify the petrified lady to unlock the shaded woods) but otherwise you're pretty free to do whatever.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

rodbeard posted:

If it's the lady from the tower of flame that moves to that one turnpike area you only ever have to go through once, I had to do exactly the same thing. I forgot that place existed, there's no need to ever go back to it if you don't know she's there and I cleared through a bunch of areas between meeting her and running out of places to go. It's not very well signposted.

I stopped playing about 40 hours in. In terms of main story stuff I was 3ish locations and 3 mandatory bosses off the end before breaking off to do abyss stuff and a bit of the DLCs. Not sure how much time was devoted to side stuff, I full cleared the first bit of Iron Keep, ran the Rotten a few times for that one NPC's hat, futzed around upgrading and playing with respecs and miracles and cleared all the optional areas in the main game, plus getting stonewalled on some bosses and lost in a few areas. If you haven't opened Copse yet you've got maybe 11 areas you have to get through for the end.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I picked up Prey on sale and while it's a great game, there is one enemy I find infuriating to fight. Technopaths, especially the one you run into in the G.U.T.S. area. Best weapon to use against them has a tiny range, in an area where there isn't much cover and where you have floaty controls. Not to mention that there's a weaver before it as well that may still be alive when the Technopath arrives with its two corrupted engineer bots. It takes minimal damage from guns because of the armor plating, has AOE attacks and has enough HP that the awesome laser of explosions takes multiple clips to kill.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Randalor posted:

I picked up Prey on sale and while it's a great game, there is one enemy I find infuriating to fight. Technopaths, especially the one you run into in the G.U.T.S. area. Best weapon to use against them has a tiny range, in an area where there isn't much cover and where you have floaty controls. Not to mention that there's a weaver before it as well that may still be alive when the Technopath arrives with its two corrupted engineer bots. It takes minimal damage from guns because of the armor plating, has AOE attacks and has enough HP that the awesome laser of explosions takes multiple clips to kill.

Liberal use of EMP grenades will help. Personally, I didn't even fight that one, and I 'nope'd out of there after I died against it the first time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Randalor posted:

Another good weapon to use against them, and anything else really is the laser. What's that, a mind controlling rear end in a top hat? Laser'd. Floating organic mass made of sentries? Laser. horrific hell beast stalking you every half hour? Find a nice cozy room it can't get into and laser that jerk and enjoy the delicious, delicious exotic material.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

Another good weapon to use against them, and anything else really is the laser. What's that, a mind controlling rear end in a top hat? Laser'd. Floating organic mass made of sentries? Laser. horrific hell beast stalking you every half hour? Find a nice cozy room it can't get into and laser that jerk and enjoy the delicious, delicious exotic material.

(I think) He's got the laser, but he can't get close enough to the thing to use it. It's got a pretty short range when you first get it. Unless the gun with the "tiny range" is the shotgun. Or the GLOO gun. Don't use the GLOO gun on the big boys in zero-g, it's not terribly effective. And now, I'll tell you the easy way to kill Technopaths in standard gravity: wait until they're over a large drop, hit them with an EMP, then GLOO them. They'll drop like a rock and shatter on the ground. This does not work on Telepaths.

Inco has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Sep 26, 2017

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The gun with the short range that works really well on technopaths is the stungun, except that it has a tiny range of sub-10m right now. Fighting them in standard gravity isn't as much of an issue, it's more the zero-gravity speed combined with little cover makes luring it to a spot where I can abuse its massive size frustrating. I killed it, but I didn't enjoy it. Also, I don't have the skills to upgrade science weapons past the first notch yet, so the laser that causes enemies to explode is still an ammo guzzler, and I'm not sure if I found the schematic for making more ammo for it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Only way I know of to get the schematic for Q-beam ammo is to find Josh Dalton as part of a sub-quest, The Black Box Project. Trigger for it should be in an email from the same lab where you found the weapon. I also remember the exact fight you're referring to and I'd also count it as 'a thing dragging this game down' because it is a huuuuge pain in the rear end. In addition to the Turrets there are a couple corrupted Engineering Operators around there. Cystoid nests, too. I've never not had that encounter turn into a complete clusterfuck regardless of build, because there's no skill that makes you equally maneuverable in zero-G.

One thing I did find helpful was chucking Recycler charges around. It won't kill the Weaver or Technopath but it's got a pretty good chance of taking out the turrets (even under Technopath control they have their own health bars), operators and any Cystoids floating about. That doesn't make it easy since aiming grenades in zero-G is also a huge pain in the rear end. Easier, though.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Oh my god, I totally forgot about the stungun past early game. That could have made some of the later fights a hell of a lot less painful.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm making an earnest effort at beating The Elder Scrolls: Arena, and in a lot of ways the game's age and (at the time) lack of pedigree makes it a really interesting experience. Unlike Morrowind where you click things to attack and there's a hidden dice roll, or Oblivion where it's just straight-up first person combat, you have to click and drag your weapon across enemies to slash at them or stab. It's neat. But wow....there's some serious poo poo caking this old gem:

-Enemies loving everywhere. I was ecstatic the first time I got out of the intro prison and into the overworld, hoping to take a few hours to explore and relax a bit before looking for Fang Lair. NOPE. There's enemies goddamn everywhere in the overworld, so every minute or so you're fending off a group of goblins or assassins or lizard goblin assassins or whatever the gently caress. I can't imagine trying to play this game as a mage or someone with similar resource-based attacks - there's just a neverending horde of enemies to fight, you'd never make it to an inn.

-The draw distance means that every character is Mr. Magoo. There's a big huge world out there, and tons to do in it, but it's impossible to truly explore when you can't see a town until you're 10 feet away from its biggest buildings. If you stray from a path, you'll almost certainly get really lost.

-Combined with the above, the quests are all but impossible. The opening city is huge and it's possible to walk around for ages without finding a single inn, let alone an inn with anyone in it that will tell you anything interesting. Then, you get to guess whether that interesting thing is actually relevant to whatever quest you're meant to be doing. It's got a great sense of verisimilitude for such an old game, but I think there's gotta be a decent compromise between "talk to literally everyone and hope that you get lucky AND recognize the clue for what it is" and modern games' "walk towards the objective chevron on your compass".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I think there's gotta be a decent compromise between "talk to literally everyone and hope that you get lucky AND recognize the clue for what it is" and modern games' "walk towards the objective chevron on your compass".
This was Morrowind

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

This was Morrowind

Yeah but I can only post about how Morrowind is the best RPG ever made so many times a day, man. Plus, while Morrowind gets points for doing this (and in a few cases having quest givers be either mistaken or flat-out liars, just often enough to make it interesting) it was followed up by Oblivion which is one of the worst chevron-followers out there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah but I can only post about how Morrowind is the best RPG ever made so many times a day, man. Plus, while Morrowind gets points for doing this (and in a few cases having quest givers be either mistaken or flat-out liars, just often enough to make it interesting) it was followed up by Oblivion which is one of the worst chevron-followers out there.
Oblivion is garbage for so many reasons though.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oblivion is garbage for so many reasons though.

Oblivion is great because (to me) it's that perfect level of "so bad it's good". It's playable enough that you won't get frustrated, but everything from the way the characters look and deliver lines to the way the AI overreacts to literally everything just make the game so fascinating to experience.

Example - I once broke into a guys house and he caught me and became aggressive (this one NPC had an abnormally high aggression stat for some reason, because Oblivion.) I rough him up and he gets scared and runs out into the street. I chase him around (while the guards do nothing) until I get fed up and throw a fireball at him - which inexplicably causes all the guards to aggro on him and murder him in the streets.

This is because Oblivions AI is meant to appear very intelligent for specific situations but completely falls apart when anything weird happens. Guards will attack whoever started the fight (guards are meant to protect the victim, after all!), and since they aren't meant to be psychic they'll only do so if they see the fight. In my case, when the NPC attacked me after I broke into his house and put up my dukes, it counted as him "starting" the fight, even though I was intruding. After I chased him out of his house, the guards didn't react because they didn't "see" the fight yet since nobody was damaged in front of them. When they saw me hit the guy with the fireball, they finally "saw" the fight, but also magically knew that the NPC was the one who started it (despite him being indoors at the time) and thus murdered him.

In other words, Bethesda's attempt to make the guards react rationally to crimes and not appear psychic made them react very irrationally to an assault and appear even more psychic than they would have if they just attacked me straight away. So close, yet so so far!

Oblivion is a game where the things dragging it down are somehow the only things that make the game worth playing in the first place.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Chvron Questing is also awful for level design. There's plenty of quests in the later Elder Scrolls games (though the Bethesda Fallouts are even worse offenders) where you wouldn't be able to complete them without the compass pinpointing the specific item you need surrounded by other identical looking items, or stuffed in a container that looks like every other container, or you simple weren't given enough information to find what you were fetching without it.

GTA has had a similar issue, where being able to get turn by turn GPS to anywhere in the play area has caused the cities to lack the sort of landmarks and visual personality the old games had that let you navigate them without GPS to begin with.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing some of Fortnight's Battle Royale mode and my two criticisms are that your character is randomly picked so you don't have any customization options and also there's no progression system so you don't really feel like you're getting anything out of a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Only way I know of to get the schematic for Q-beam ammo is to find Josh Dalton as part of a sub-quest, The Black Box Project. Trigger for it should be in an email from the same lab where you found the weapon. I also remember the exact fight you're referring to and I'd also count it as 'a thing dragging this game down' because it is a huuuuge pain in the rear end. In addition to the Turrets there are a couple corrupted Engineering Operators around there. Cystoid nests, too. I've never not had that encounter turn into a complete clusterfuck regardless of build, because there's no skill that makes you equally maneuverable in zero-G.

One thing I did find helpful was chucking Recycler charges around. It won't kill the Weaver or Technopath but it's got a pretty good chance of taking out the turrets (even under Technopath control they have their own health bars), operators and any Cystoids floating about. That doesn't make it easy since aiming grenades in zero-G is also a huge pain in the rear end. Easier, though.

Yeah getting the Q-Beam ammo schematic can be a pain in the rear end, but at least the little robot dudes will drop a few every time you kill them and they're relatively harmless and save the beam for the shittiest threats like weavers (who don't react to it since it doesn't break their shields), the nightmare and technopaths if you have a lot of issues with them.

My pro-tip for crystoids is to just throw poo poo at them. Get the upgrade that makes your throwing do damage, grab the nearest piece of junk and just go hog wild. I loved recycler charges though, probably my favorite item in the whole game. I used them to gain access to a few areas early on when I didn't have the right powerup to break through a blockage or something. Or I'd just pile up every piece of junk in a zone and just wipe everything and get a ton of materials.