Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Capcom just keeps hitting it out of the park!

Hopefully the Monster Hunter team is insulated against all the penny pinching and terrible decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the mh team gets its money elsewhere. instead of digital dlc, they have the ultimate g*mer sales pitch: tasteful mh-themed clothes at trendy, but affordable, outlets

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hope lunch is playable, in dragonball the fighters z

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Capcom just keeps hitting it out of the park!

Hopefully the Monster Hunter team is insulated against all the penny pinching and terrible decision making.

the monster hunter team is the only one bringing in a consistent flow of fucktons of cash so they're probably never going to mess around with them too much

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Has anyone released a digital collecters edition of a game that doesn’t come with the game itself yet? I figure it has to happen sooner or later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DIGITAL

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Doesn't a collector's edition need to have some scarce component to it? So it's, you know, collectible

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Doesn't a collector's edition need to have some scarce component to it? So it's, you know, collectible
haha lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

no it's all junk

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Has anyone released a digital collecters edition of a game that doesn’t come with the game itself yet? I figure it has to happen sooner or later.

What would that be? Most digital bundles are a soundtrack, small DLC, and maybe some other feelies. What would you consider a "digital collector's edition" of a game minus the game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anytime I see a collector's edition I'm reminded of the "amazing" item included with Dark Souls 3's

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean it probably looked better before he drunk it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

Anytime I see a collector's edition I'm reminded of the "amazing" item included with Dark Souls 3's

i am alive and my money is mine

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have never played Snake Eater. It looks like there's like, 5 goddamn version of the game or something. What version should I get assuming I own every console/handheld and feel like digging old ones out?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I have never played Snake Eater. It looks like there's like, 5 goddamn version of the game or something. What version should I get assuming I own every console/handheld and feel like digging old ones out?

The only major revision is Subsistence. The PS2 version has the most extras but if all you want is to play the game get it in any form on PS3 or Vita.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What a thrill!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snake Eater is a really fun song but I like Way to Fall a lot too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

At first I thought Capcom must have hired Rob Liefeld but her feet are too big and she doesn't have a dozen satchels strapped to every appendage.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Chun Li's proportions are fun and cartoonish, I like it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Whoever decided that they should put a stealth mission where you can't use your powers in Gravity Rush 2 needs to be shot or at least outed so they never ate allowed near a video game again. Seriously might be some of the worst stealth mechanics I've ever seen, which is saying something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Chun Li's proportions are fun and cartoonish, I like it
wired sf2-4 chun
tired sf5 chun

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zero Mission has the only good stealth section in a non-stealth focused game, but then Zero Mission is also basically perfect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

Zero Mission has the only good stealth section in a non-stealth focused game, but then Zero Mission is also basically perfect.
I thought the stealth parts in Resident Evil Revelations 2 were good since it wasn't a game over if you hosed them up, but if you pulled it off then you saved a decent bit of ammo.

Then again, one of the DLC's for Revelations 2 was entirely stealth and it was a game over if you were spotted. The mechanics in that game don't really support that and it loving sucked.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

nachos posted:

I just saw some gameplay videos of Ruiner and now I'm mega ultra hyped it's probably Game Of The Month

It's on Xbox store now. Just DLd it

10 gb
$20

I'll post some impressions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nowadays when I see a instafail stealth sequence it feels nostalgic

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel I've played plenty of good stealth and not stealth games at this point which made the GR2 one all the more baffling. It wasn't just that it was a stealth section, it's that it was one with terrible feedback, places where being spotted felt arbitrary, no real clear path and it generally seemed it wanted you to go to specific places while being very bad at letting you know where those places were.

It was only slightly saved by being a meter buildup to being spotted rather than it being instant (except when it was arbitrarily instant) and letting you fight your way out if only one or two people spotted you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

The first version doesn't have free camera control and is the only one you really should probably avoid

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC only the PS2 versions of the game have the Ape Escape and the weird vampire nightmare minigame thing that I played once and then never again though.

Wait a second

Is the vampire guy the one who says "I'm still in a dream, Snake Eater" in the song?

Has anyone interpreted MGS3 through this lens before

swims
May 5, 2014

swims posted:

It's on Xbox store now. Just DLd it

10 gb
$20

I'll post some impressions

First impressions from beginning mission only:

Looks like 16 missions total.
Skippable cutscenes.
3 difficulties.
Combo system heavy. With a combo counter.
Main gun is infinite ammo but you pickup guns from kills that have limited bullets. You get to try out like 7 of them in first mission.
Scoring system per level.
Not roguelike - you press b and respawn when dead, but have to do the fight room all the way over. Not start the mission over.
Skill trees. Unsure if you can max all out or have to be selective.
R stick rotates your player which will take getting used to.
Never played Hotline so I can't compare but I am getting immediate memories of The Club for 360 and Devil May Cry in that it was all about replaying for high score.
So far so good.
No VA so far- all text story.
No one has beat hard mode yet on Xbox.
Lots of easy and normal mode clears have happened already- guessing review players or early access players somehow.
Lots of "lore" by journal entries to read.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel I've played plenty of good stealth and not stealth games at this point which made the GR2 one all the more baffling. It wasn't just that it was a stealth section, it's that it was one with terrible feedback, places where being spotted felt arbitrary, no real clear path and it generally seemed it wanted you to go to specific places while being very bad at letting you know where those places were.

It was only slightly saved by being a meter buildup to being spotted rather than it being instant (except when it was arbitrarily instant) and letting you fight your way out if only one or two people spotted you.

GR2 is really not great. I'm sorry.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

swims posted:

First impressions from beginning mission only:

Looks like 16 missions total.
Skippable cutscenes.
3 difficulties.
Combo system heavy. With a combo counter.
Main gun is infinite ammo but you pickup guns from kills that have limited bullets. You get to try out like 7 of them in first mission.
Scoring system per level.
Not roguelike - you press b and respawn when dead, but have to do the fight room all the way over. Not start the mission over.
Skill trees. Unsure if you can max all out or have to be selective.
R stick rotates your player which will take getting used to.
Never played Hotline so I can't compare but I am getting immediate memories of The Club for 360 and Devil May Cry in that it was all about replaying for high score.
So far so good.
No VA so far- all text story.
No one has beat hard mode yet on Xbox.
Lots of easy and normal mode clears have happened already- guessing review players or early access players somehow.
Lots of "lore" by journal entries to read.

This sounds pretty cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

al-azad posted:

The only major revision is Subsistence. The PS2 version has the most extras but if all you want is to play the game get it in any form on PS3 or Vita.

Not quite!

Best version is 3DS if you can handle it. There's 3D, there's gyroscopic aiming, its loving aces. You really want a circle pad pro though, so you're gonna need that extension or a New3DS, but the New3DS works fantastically. New3DS XL is THE platform for MGS3.

If you can't deal with handheld though, then anything other than the original release like others have said. It has bad controls. From Subsistence to all ports you get proper controls so whatever you have.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

GR2 is really not great. I'm sorry.

While I already knew going on it wasn't supposed to be very good so I don't doubt this, you do have to realize that at this point you saying a game is bad in this thread is meaningless.

swims
May 5, 2014

In Training posted:

This sounds pretty cool

After first mission there's like a town area/ sanctuary where you talk to npcs and get missions and chill. Way it's described there might be more than one.

There is a hacking mini game that is way better than bioshocks. The hacking is based on face buttons so far only and it's fast. I'm playing normal and it's a little tough when crowded. Usually 3 enemies minimum are loving with you at a time.

You can slow down time and do a strategic dash pattern with LB and RT/RB. It feels super intuitive.

E- scoring system is now based on encounters as well.

Skill tree points appear to be buy/sell at no cost.

swims fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 26, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gundam Versus is out this Friday and I kinda want that game but I don't know. I wish there was a demo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KlavierSapphire/status/911999916838461440

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Not quite!

Best version is 3DS if you can handle it. There's 3D, there's gyroscopic aiming, its loving aces. You really want a circle pad pro though, so you're gonna need that extension or a New3DS, but the New3DS works fantastically. New3DS XL is THE platform for MGS3.

If you can't deal with handheld though, then anything other than the original release like others have said. It has bad controls. From Subsistence to all ports you get proper controls so whatever you have.

I do actually have a n3ds, with the nub-to-psp-cap mod so the right stick actually does stuff.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The HD compilation on PS3 is the best because it comes with Peace Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Whoever decided that they should put a stealth mission where you can't use your powers in Gravity Rush 2 needs to be shot or at least outed so they never ate allowed near a video game again. Seriously might be some of the worst stealth mechanics I've ever seen, which is saying something.

Don't ever play Lords of Shadow 2.

• Locked thread