Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

it's just loving stupid

hey America, guess what, people have the freedom to kneel during the anthem

also

hey America, guess what, people have the freedom to fly the Confederate flag

this seems crazy, and contradictory, but it's true!

Yeah but the argument isn't "you aren't allowed to kneel during the anthem," it's "you shouldn't kneel during the anthem because it's offensive to the troops," which is odd because it's news to me that the national anthem is nothing more than a fight song for the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

As a vet who's opinion doesn't count for poo poo. The national anthem sucks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

As a vet who's opinion doesn't count for poo poo. The national anthem sucks.

It's bad

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

wicka posted:

Yeah but the argument isn't "you aren't allowed to kneel during the anthem," it's "you shouldn't kneel during the anthem because it's offensive to the troops," which is odd because it's news to me that the national anthem is nothing more than a fight song for the military.

it literally doesn't matter, people are free to not like it for whatever reason

this is why taking a partisan stance on issues like this is retarded as gently caress, the same rights that allows a protest to take place also allows whatever criticism of said protest, no matter how stupid either side is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

it literally doesn't matter, people are free to not like it for whatever reason

this is why taking a partisan stance on issues like this is retarded as gently caress, the same rights that allows a protest to take place also allows whatever criticism of said protest, no matter how stupid either side is

It's not a partisan stance to believe murder is bad.

Also, yeah, our anthem is absolutely dire. Call me when someone kneels during Fratelli d'Italia.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vince McMahon usually plays "America the Beautiful" at WrestleMania which I've always thought was an implied acknowledgement that the anthem stinks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also do any of these fat fucks at home getting mad about people kneeling get off their rear end take off their hats and set down their loving beer while the anthems on? No

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What are the best anthems other than Italy and France? Those are my faves. I also enjoy any anthem played on steel drum, as often happens in Trinidad and Tobago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
South American anthems have their own distinct style- Brazil's is excellent imo.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

wicka posted:

It's not a partisan stance to believe murder is bad.

Also, yeah, our anthem is absolutely dire. Call me when someone kneels during Fratelli d'Italia.

you're right that's not a partisan stance

of course you're simplifying the entire issue to a level that would be completely unbelievable if you were anyone but wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

of course you're simplifying the entire issue to a level that would be completely unbelievable if you were anyone but wicka

No, it's literally a protest against murder. That's literally what it is. Your both sides-ism is dumb as gently caress and yet not at all surprising.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is what happens when loving Kyle Busch wins

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

wicka posted:

No, it's literally a protest against murder. That's literally what it is. Your both sides-ism is dumb as gently caress and yet not at all surprising.

dude I agree with you and I support them protesting it

my point is that people are also free to be stupid and disagree, and if you think one part is true and the other part isn't you're as dumb as the mooks who think it's disrespecting the flag

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

dude I agree with you and I support them protesting it

my point is that people are also free to be stupid and disagree, and if you think one part is true and the other part isn't you're as dumb as the mooks who think it's disrespecting the flag

I just want Kyle Busch to crash into the flag

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

tbf he's ignoring the part about where Trunp politicized it during a political rally as a way to divert attention from yet another flailing attempt to kill Obamacare.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

tbf he's ignoring the part about where Trunp politicized it during a political rally as a way to divert attention from yet another flailing attempt to kill Obamacare.

You're giving Trump too much credit. He's always failing at something and always saying something insane. The latter is not necessarily an attempt to distract from the former.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

exploded mummy posted:

if this country could handle people saying things others didn't agree with the entire issue would have died off long ago

but it's a self fulfilling prophecy of idiots all the way down

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Vince McMahon usually plays "America the Beautiful" at WrestleMania which I've always thought was an implied acknowledgement that the anthem stinks.

In the Wrestlemania documentary they released a few years ago he outright said the anthem sucks hence America the Beautiful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Centrism owns

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Of the three "major" patriotic songs, America the Beautiful is the best by far. Star Spangled Banner is the worst, and God Bless America is almost just as bad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

As someone who stood at attention for many hours listening to all three I can tell you emphatically that all three suck balls

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The worst patriotic song is My Country Tis of Thee, which is just a worse version of God Save the Queen, a song that was bad enough already.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Norns posted:

Centrism owns

my side is the best!

why does that other side hate me?!?!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hth it seems like you have one side but play the middle

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Norns posted:

Hth it seems like you have one side but play the middle

maybe, and this is crazy, I have a side but recognize that I don't have all the answers and sometimes the other side can offer things I hadn't considered

but hey I'm just an idiot on the internet and it's entirely possible other people have this whole thing figured out and aren't just being smug assholes because it feels good

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I won't be happy until Woodie Guthrie's This Land is Your Land is the national anthem.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The national anthem should be Strutter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

E40 - tell me when to go, which I think we all know is also a striking missive about losing the war of 1812

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

but hey I'm just an idiot on the internet and it's entirely possible other people have this whole thing figured out and aren't just being smug assholes because it feels good

This is why you're my favorite poster.

NASCAR 2017: Dale finally turns left.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

it's just loving stupid

hey America, guess what, people have the freedom to kneel during the anthem

also

hey America, guess what, people have the freedom to fly the Confederate flag

this seems crazy, and contradictory, but it's true!

YES! This 100%!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

John Brown's Body über alles

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/912250864970199040

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
NASCAR has posted 110 youtube videos in the last hour. Awesome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

NASCAR has posted 110 youtube videos in the last hour. Awesome.

All of them are the national anthem, though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

But which *ism? Commun or Fasc or what?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
aut

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832645&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=81#post476743044

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
steaming hot takes crossposted to a thread that talked about Dale Sr. cutting a rebel flag sticker off his bumper years ago

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

wicka posted:

The national anthem should be Strutter.

Seconded, the motion carries.

E: Still not as cool as 'Summer of 69', the official Canadian anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
A certain 1990 Daytona 500 winner isn't going away just yet....
http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/20820336/starcom-racing-launches-compete-monster-energy-nascar-cup-series

• Locked thread