Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

okay so would your preferred standard for not using spoiler tags on future episodes be "wait until Tuesday morning" or what

After this, I wont care anymore. The Premiere is special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Having had some time to digest it, I think the episodes were pretty good for a Trek pilot. You just kind of have to accept that JJverse styling is here to stay and treat it as more standalone than the other treks.

Plus I like the Keplian and the Daft Punk lady.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i saw the daft punk helmet lady and i first thought they stole that from the oreville

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
CBS said 8 million tuned in to watch it. How does that compare to an average evening on the network?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

CBS said 8 million tuned in to watch it. How does that compare to an average evening on the network?

I think that's really good

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Read the TVIV thread. What a mistake.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

counterfeitsaint posted:

no, im not doing that. you give us the skinny.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

no, im not doing that. you give us the skinny.

They're mostly beside themselves in abject horror about how the corpse bomb was the worst thing that's ever been inflicted during war. But lying about a cease fire so you can sneak attack the enemy flagship literal seconds before is cool and good and probably honorable if you give them enough time to twist it around.

Also just because the only interaction with klingons in living memory is that time they attacked the main character's colony when she was a child and murdered her family and PTSD'd the gently caress out of her doesn't mean she shouldn't trust them or give them the benefit of the doubt, and something something racism. #notallklingons

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
oh my

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Still can't beat de foozball.

All my rowdy Klingons comin' over tonight!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

A crazy Klingon makes the augmentation a virus, Archer managed to limit who is exposed, but a large group of Klingons are and become more human in appearance as a result. That's the last time they show up on Enterprise.

Human Klingons best Klingons.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
all of Jadzia's old Klingon friends, they're the same Klingons Kirk fought in tos, right? Like Kor is the same character from Errand of Mercy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

all of Jadzia's old Klingon friends, they're the same Klingons Kirk fought in tos, right? Like Kor is the same character from Errand of Mercy.

Yep, same actors. It was a nice treat.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Um, so I actually enjoyed the first episode, and it had a great, unexpected ending so...

STD is good?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
In Australia and most of the world it's on netflix.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, don't associate with hard core Trekkies. They will never ever be happy.

Also probably why some of them are pedos

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raged posted:

In Australia and most of the world it's on netflix.

all of it or one ep at a time?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hector Beerlioz posted:

CBS is dumb, but not that dumb.

They'd never allow people to enjoy all that Space Dwight Schrute action all at once.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Weekly Episodes.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's approximately 100 years between ENT and TOS. Discovery takes place ten years before TOS.

I guess they forgot about that holographic communication technology? :shrug:

Anyway, only saw the one episode (number two is available), and am not impressed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

brylcreem posted:

I guess they forgot about that holographic communication technology? :shrug:

Anyway, only saw the one episode (number two is available), and am not impressed.

I like to think that every ~175 years or so the Federation forgets how bad holographic communication is and gives it another try, it only lasts a few weeks before they give it up again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah they had the DS9 holographic communication thing. I laughed, and clapped. "I know what that is!"

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

star trek: dutch angles and lensflares

naem
May 29, 2011

are there hot boob laidies

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

counterfeitsaint posted:

I like to think that every ~175 years or so the Federation forgets how bad holographic communication is and gives it another try, it only lasts a few weeks before they give it up again.

So it's a metaphor for 3D movies, got it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

considering i was expecting to loving loathe orville i'm shocked at how much more i liked it then std. i guess it helps that it isn't miserable

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Watching After Trek and I want to strangle the host he is so annoying. There is good stuff on the show, but the host just needs to gently caress off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got the impression The Orville could be more 'Star Trek, but the captain is a doofus' than just Family Guy In Space.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Legit enjoyed Michael talking the computer through the logic of saving her own life. Felt very TOS-Trek.

I'd like to think there's a programmer over in Star Fleet who lost his job after reading the after-action report.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

what's cool about the orville is that there's a blob character that gets a big boner, ground breaking tv that really mixes what was great about classic trek but adds in modern sensibilities for the netflix generation

THS
Sep 15, 2017

something with the sensibility exactly in the middle of the spectrum from std to orville would be great. you know, ds9 reruns

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Discovery, but with writing that doesn't leave you agape in shock at the horrible writing and unlikable characters would be fine. Bring on the dark sets and lens flares, LED's on everything, gently caress 60's trek, gently caress TNG, do you own thing in your own style but like make it actually good.
The expanse is dark and depressing and filled with drama but it's good and has characters I care about and acceptable writing. STD has trash characters and trash writing.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
star trek should not be grim and dark imo but instead a bit campy and fun!!!

a very hot take, from me

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i blame game of thrones

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Watching ST:D now. Current status: bored.

Edit: lol, klingons are pussies in this version also.

Edit2: Jesus the captain can't act.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Federation ships should be carpeted.

There. I said it.

I'm not taking it back either.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Clawtopsy posted:

star trek should not be grim and dark imo but instead a bit campy and fun!!!

a very hot take, from me

it can be serious and grim at points but ds9 had hella campy episodes too, when it wasn't taking on issues like genocide, torture and war crimes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Peachfart posted:

Watching ST:D now. Current status: bored.

Edit: lol, klingons are pussies in this version also.

Edit2: Jesus the captain can't act.

She can, she's in fact fairly good at it. But actors need good writing and direction to get a good performance out of them and this show has neither.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey so I never knew that Rosalind Chao had been a model before becoming an actress. All I'll say is O'Brien really is one lucky Irish bastard. Also just rewatched the Penultimate TOS episode. "All Our Yesterdays. Really quite the nice episode and it really I would argue serves as nice send off for the original big three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

star trek: dutch angles and lensflares

Hey Len Kabasinksi learned eventually, there's hope for everyone.